Thread: Lymington 5 tonner

Anyone ever seen one? Made (of course) in Lymington, several were shipped over to the US in the early 50's. Designed by Laurent Giles.
    miss p the ocean goddess

Like this?

"Affixed to the wall of the harbormaster's office in Durban, according to Vertue myth, is a notice. 'In winds over Force 7, no yacht may depart without my authority. Unless she's a Vertue.'"

They are a lot like a "Vertue" if I remember right, slightly earlier in Giles' career, and may be a bit less expensive and difficult to build. there was a feature on the class in "Classic Boat" a couple of years back (or maybe more - time seems to flyby faster these years...) and they are a very attractive little vessel to look at. I gather they sail quite well too. They are a little smaller, probably a "4 tonner" (Thames measurement) rather than 5.

It occurs to me later that there wa salso a "Lymington Slipway 5 Tonner", a double-ended sloop with full width raised deck as part of her cabin. I believe they were designed by G.O'Brien Kennedy and had some popularity back in the 1940's or so...maybe that was what you were thinking of...

There was [is] a type called the Lymington L class that was a L/Giles design.Smaller than a Vertue, about 23' I think, very attractive boat. Like the Vertues the early ones had a small low coachroof,later post war boats were more built up,accomodation pretty minimal.

That "Lymington 'L'" is what I was thinking of. One could get a 3-berth layout in such a boat, but I'd not want to see any more, and not sure how long I'd want the third party aboard. The hull was so designed as to make easy planking runs, as I recall, and she was quite an attractive little vessel. For those who dream of a Vertue biut cannot afford one, the "L" would be a good alternative.

Default Re: Lymington 5 tonner

Here's a lovely Lymington 'L' pictured in a price guide- worth a look for the photos.

http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives/...on-l-class.htm
    Last edited by Wiley Baggins; 06-18-2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Correction - in italics

The Lymington L is a lovely looking boat! I'd like to see a small bridgedeck fitted for cruising though. The Lymington 5 tonner pictured is a good example of why varnished hulls are a bad idea unless you have a full-time maintenance crew! Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 06-19-2009 at 02:31 AM.

nice shape, plug ugly treatment. Ghaa those bright finished hulls make my skin crawl.

Hi all - my father and I are the owners of a Lymington Slipway 5 Tonner named "Joanne of Kyle". Good old Google brought me to this quite old discussion page but thought worth getting in touch. You are correct they are gorgeous and fantastic to sail.
    She is based at Port Edgar in Scotland. If people are still interested more than happy to share photos and if anyone has any further information it would be greatly appreciated. We are trying to piece together her history as though she has been with a family friend since the 70s and with us since 2013 we are not sure of the history from her build in 1948 to the 70s.
    Graham Turnbull

Welcome aboard.

Yes, welcome! Photos would be great!!

Rick

We will get the photos up here ASAP. We have been working on the boat for the 3.5 years after "re-finding" her in a scrap yard. Had our first full season with her this year and some cracking sailing.

Hi All
    My son and I are the co owners of Joanne of Kyle and I thought I should give you an update.
    Designed by George O'Brian Kennedy and built by the Lymington Slipway Engineering Co in 1948 a Double Ended Sloop.
    As far as I can ascertain there were only 6 built, 5 in Lymington of English Larch on steam bent oak frames and one on Rangoon in 1954 of teak and sailed back to the UK. Apart from Joanne I am aware of onepresently lying on south coast of England. What we are trying to establish is whether there are any others surviving and if so where are they, any help in tracking them down would be appreciated.
    I first sailed on Joanne in 1970 and sailed on her for the next twenty five years, based in Scotland, on the Clyde and sailed all over the West Coast of Scotland, twice attempting to get out to St Kilda. No electrics on board, no telephones, cabin lights and navigation lights were all oil lamps and in those days no marinas.
    After she was sold in 1996 I thought that was my relationship over with the old girl, but to my surprise she re-appeared in 2013 and we had to buy her back, We have spent the last 2 1/2 years properly restoring her and we were working towards completion by 2018 and ready to celebrate her 70th year by sailing back to Lymington and other adventures round Britain and France.
    However, a few weeks ago, there was an accident at the boatyard and during the winter lift out and while she was being moved on the travelling hoist, a carrying belt slipped and she dropped onto the concrete. Damage is extensive and we now we wait for the repair quotations and confirmation that she can actually be saved.
    Updates and photographs to follow shortly.

Hi. I owned 'Melpomone' in Dartmouth at one time, I paid 1 for her off a friend who I sailed her with but she was a bit of a wreck, I made new oak floors to replace the rusted out iron straps and rebuilt the decks. She needed a better guardian than me with more time. I sold her on and she sailed again, after passing through several hands I think she ended up as a project at the Lyme Regis boatbuilding school. She may still be there. She also had one of the first proctor aluminium masts though it doubt this was original. I may still have the Volvo petrol engine she was fitted with.

Hi All,
    As promised please see below 3 photos giving a snapshot into the progress that has been made on Joanne of Kyle since we bought her. The final photo was kindly taken by a fellow member of Port Edgar as we sailed in the Firth of Forth in the summer of this year. We are still waiting for final repair quotations but lets hope we can get her back in the water for more sailing in 2017!

A very attractive yacht and well worth all of your efforts. Congratulations and happy sailing.

Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral1645 View Post
    A very attractive yacht and well worth all of your efforts. Congratulations and happy sailing.

Graeme
    Seconded, she's a beauty !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Photos above show Joanne of Kyle as she was before the accident as well as some images from within the cabin. There are 3 images showing the extensive damage to the hull caused by the accident as she was being lifted out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneofKyle View Post
    Photos above show Joanne of Kyle as she was before the accident as well as some images from within the cabin. There are 3 images showing the extensive damage to the hull caused by the accident as she was being lifted out of the water.
    Your photos are not showing on my screen.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I also see nothing...