|Want to look better and feel better? What if you could avoid just 10 food ingredients and make a huge improvement in your health. Paula Owens (PaulaOwens.com) the author of "The Power Of 4" says avoiding these 10 things will change your body dramatically. Owens has a master's degree in holistic nutrition and a bachelors degree in kinesiology. She explains what ingredients to avoid and how your body will benefit if you avoid them.
1. HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP (HFCS) HFCS is the number one source of calories for most Americans and causes obesity. You'll find high-fructose corn syrup in processed food, fast food, sodas, syrup that goes into your Latte, etc. HFCS is extremely toxic to your liver, increases inflammation, causes obesity, oxidative stress and creates an aggressive insulin response.
2. ALL PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED OILS (TRANS FATS) Partially hydrogenated oils are found in thousands of processed foods (breakfast cereals, cookies, chips). Trans fats are proven to cause heart disease and contribute to obesity. Restaurant food, especially from fast food chains, often serve food loaded with trans fats. Consequences of a diet high in trans fats include: * increased inflammation * decreased immune function * decreased testosterone * Arthritis * Cancer * Decrease IQ * learning disabilities. American IQ has dropped 20 points in the past 20 years. * Diabetes * Elevated blood pressure * Free radical production * Heart Disease * Interferes with neurological & visual development of fetus * Liver damage * Obesity * Osteoporosis * Type II diabetes
3. MSG Monosodium glutamate is a chemical that has been associated with reproductive disorders, migraine headaches, permanent damage to the endocrine system leading to obesity and other serious disorders. MSG is used in many foods as a taste enhancer. It is linked to reduced fertility.
4. SODIUM NITRATE This is a preservative, coloring, and flavoring commonly added to bacon, ham, hot dogs, luncheon meats, smoked fish and corned beef. Studies have linked eating it to various types of cancer.
5. REFINED SOY When it comes to soy, much of what we read and hear about comes from the people who market it. Before you mix up a soy shake, snack on a soy protein bar or pour yourself a glass of soy milk consider this: unfermented, processed soy inhibits the thyroid, is deficient in amino acids, is toxic to infants and shrinks the brain. There are some redeeming qualities to soy, however these are found primarily in fermented soy products like tempeh, miso, natto and soybean sprouts. If you want to get some health benefits from soy, stick to these four forms and pass on ALL processed soy milks, tofu, soy burgers, soy ice cream, soy cheese and other soy junk foods that are disguised as health foods.
6. WHITE SUGAR Sugar is more addictive than cocaine! Sugar has a profound influence on your brain function and your psychological function. When you consume excess amounts of sugar, your body releases excess amounts of insulin, which in turn causes a drop in your blood sugar, also known as hypoglycemia. In addition, sugar is pro-flammatory damages skin collagen and promotes wrinkles, increases your appetite, depletes your body of B vitamins, causes joint degeneration, ADHD and other behavior disorders, stimulates cholesterol synthesis and weight gain.
7. SODIUM CHLORIDE Commercial table salt is highly processed and full of aluminum, chemicals and additives which are toxic. Opt for a healthier version such as Bragg's amino acids or Celtic sea salt (light pink, grey or beige color).
8. ASPARTAME, SPLENDA, SWEET N LOW, EQUAL Aspartame is an artificial, chemical sweetener found in many foods and beverages including desserts, gelatins, protein powder, low calorie foods, drink mixes and sodas. It may cause cancer or neurological problems, such as dizziness, migraine headaches, weight gain, increased appetite, bloating, rashes or hallucinations. Aspartame poisoning mimics symptoms of MS. NutraSweet is in over 7,000 foods! Side effects: * Increased heart disease * Bloating and edema * Brain seizures * Cancer * Cravings * Headaches * Predispose you to Parkinson's, Multiple Sclerosis and Alzheimer's disease * Rashes and hives * Weight gain * results in obesity
9. FOOD COLORINGS (Blue 1, 2; Red 3; Green 3; Yellow 5, 6) Six food colorings still on the market are linked with cancer in animal testing. There is evidence that food coloring and food additives contribute to behavioral problems in children, lead to lower IQ, hyperactivity, ADHD, depression, hormonal dysfunction and cancer. Red 3, used to dye cherries, fruit cocktail, ice cream candy and baked goods have been shown to cause thyroid tumors in rats. This harmful artificial color causes cancer and changes in brain chemistry. Read the list of ingredients in your child's cough syrup (artificial color). Green 3 is a potential allergen and has been linked to bladder cancer. Green 3 is added to candy, mint jelly, cereals and beverages. Blue 1 and 2, found in beverages, candy, baked goods, cereals and pet food have been linked to allergies and cancer. Yellow 5 is the most notable artificial color because it causes the most immediate allergic reaction in people sensitive to salicylates such as aspirin. Yellow 6 has been linked to tumors of the adrenal gland and kidney. Yellow 6 is added to beverages, sausage, gelatin, baked goods and candy. Take home message * Stay away from any product listing an ingredient with a color plus a number.
10. PROCESSED/REFINED WHEAT AND GLUTEN Refined grains are devoid of nutrients, disrupt insulin levels and are highly allergenic for many individuals. Wheat and gluten have adverse health affects for approximately 80 percent of the population. Gluten is a protein found combined with starch in the endosperm of grains, notably wheat, rye and barley. Gluten intolerance/sensitivity is severely misdiagnosed or under-diagnosed one estimate says that 97 percent of all sufferers don't know they have the disease due to unfamiliarity with it among U.S. physicians. Signs and symptoms of gluten intolerance: The ultimate effect of this hidden wear and tear is the slow destruction of the healthy mucosa, or lining tissue of the small intestine causing an autoimmune response that's similar to an allergic reaction. In some cases there may be symptoms in childhood such as allergies, asthma, anemia, reoccurring infections, a constant upset stomach or milk intolerance. Other symptoms are nasal and throat mucous, feeling of food sitting in stomach, bloating, gas, diarrhea with periodic constipation, mental fogginess and skin rashes. In severe cases, as with Celiac disease, there can be seizures, psychosis, violent behavior and withdrawal from self. Eliminate gluten-products for 3-4 weeks and tell me how great you feel.It's important to form a habit of reading the list of ingredients on ALL products!