Thread: Northern California marine plywood source?

Default Northern California marine plywood source?

Does anyone know of a source for 4mm okoume marine ply in northern California? Last time I checked my local source (Hughes Hardwoods in Sacramento) the thinnest they had was 6mm. Boulter on the East Coast has 4mm, but wants $170 to pack and ship 3 sheets. I was going to check with Crosscut hardwoods in Eugene, OR, but figured I'd look for a closer source first.

Thanks,

Ed

Default Re: Northern California marine plywood source?

Hughes should be able to get it for you from Capitol Plywood down in Sacramento, you will probably be able to go down to capitol and have a look prior. Capitol is strictly wholesale only though, hence the Hughes connection.

Thanks John. I'll give Hughes a call. Last time I asked, I thought they said they couldn't get it, but that was years ago.

We're practically neighbors -- I live between Diamond Springs and Pleasant Valley, and I grew up in Lotus.

Ed

You may have to ask them to check with Capitol plywood but I'm pretty sure I saw the 4mm there (Capitol) when I picked up mine. We used to be even closure neighbors about 12 years ago as I lived in Placerville off of Cedar Ravine rd.

E A, If you ventured a trip down to the Bay, You could pick up the sheets you need at MacBeath's Hardwoods in Berkeley, they normaly stock the 4mm...Cheers, BT

McBeaths also has a nice selection of clear Sitka spruce (up to 23' in length when I was there) as well as many hardwood varieties. A fun trip if you have a few hours to burn.

I'll keep McBeath's in mind. My wife plans to visit family in San Rafael in the next month or two, so maybe I can convince her to pick up some plywood while she's at it!

Ed, I shudder to offer any advice on these sort of matters, but if you have her go to a lumber store in your stead, that could end up being some very 'expensive' ply...just sayin...BT

I have it all figured out -- if you're talkin' about actual cost, I'll get the quote ahead of time, but if you're meanin' emotional (honey-do) cost, she's been wanting me to make an adirondack chair or two for her, so I'll ask her to pick up materials for that first...and by the way, while she's there...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Armstrong View Post
    I have it all figured out -- if you're talkin' about actual cost, I'll get the quote ahead of time, but if you're meanin' emotional (honey-do) cost, she's been wanting me to make an adirondack chair or two for her, so I'll ask her to pick up materials for that first...and by the way, while she's there...
    Ed...Don't ask your WIFE to go get plywood Chhhheeessshhh!!!

She could get hurt if the help does not tie it down correctly, and she could end up in an accident.
    Getting the ply is a mans job. And make that chair for her too. Without a bribe.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Donald, when I was young, my mom built a barn, did all her own auto mechanics on her 1965 Ford mustang, and reroofed our house, while raising us kids, holding down a full-time job and maintaining an immaculate garden on our 1-1/2 acre. When I was a little older, she added a kitchen and garage to our concrete block house, so I think I have a pretty good idea of what women are capable of doing. But I understand your point (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Armstrong View Post
    Donald, when I was young, my mom built a barn, did all her own auto mechanics on her 1965 Ford mustang, and reroofed our house, while raising us kids, holding down a full-time job and maintaining an immaculate garden on our 1-1/2 acre. When I was a little older, she added a kitchen and garage to our concrete block house, so I think I have a pretty good idea of what women are capable of doing. But I understand your point (I think).
    Yes you are right your MOM older generation COULD do all of those things. But many young men and women now days have not done any of those things and were not taught how.
    Many young men now are physically weak because they grew up with computers ,never went outside except to
    talk on a cell phone and have not done hard work. Many women have grown up with fast food and have never even cooked fried chicken.
    They do not make MEN like the ones that built the Golden Gate bride anymore. They were tough M@$%^^^'s

But I would not send my wife to get plywood because the salesperson might give her warped or damaged sheets and they may not tie it down correctly. I just would not ask my wife to do that kind of favor for me.

It's not that she could not do it in an emergency, but I just would not ask her to do that.
    A sheet of 3/4 ply weighs 66 lbs.,.

Ed...Women want you to take charge. thats what they like. Unless she said she WANTED to go get it.

try homestead in mid US

In NoCal MacBeth's would be the first place I checked, but Western Plywood at 2600 Harrison St. in San Francisco also carries some fancy plywood including marine grade. Also, the mega-giant industrial lumber yard in Richmond, CA "Channel Lumber" almost certainly sells marine plywood. I bought a few sheets of MDO from them once, so they do sell retail. (They are located right next to the boat yards there in Richmond so they likely have a demand for marine materials, but their main trade is to industrial/construction.)

Looks like I'll have to plan a trip to the Bay Area, but I'll call Hughes first and see if they can order it. Thanks guys.

Ed

Yeah, a nice Padauk or Wenge Adirondack chair...That sounds cool!
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

If I showed my wife this thread, she would kick all of your a$$es. If she knew what to be aware of, my wife could pick out lumber, strap down ply, etc. OK, she might need a little help loading 3/4 sheets, but the Macbeath folks would help her with that..probably more readily than they would help me...Because I am a tough SOB, and she would ask nicely...Amazing how that all works.!!

My advice is tell your wife specifically what you need, and stand back..

S
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

I'm finally ready to start planking, so I made a few calls. Capital Plywood doesn't carry Okoume in 4mm anymore, and MacBeath's doesn't have it either. The guy I talked to at MacBeath's recommended Hydrotek. From what I've read on this forum, Hydrotek seems like an economical way to go, but it's heavier than Okoume and may not have as good of a surface.

EA, MacBeaths will have the Hydrotek, and this is nice stuff for your project, the folks there will take good care of you or your better half, Cheers, Steve

I've also heard (with no personal experience) that hydrotek is harder to bend (stiffer) as well as being heavier. Then again Okoume is more prone to dings and dents at least until treated in some way (glass/epoxy sheathed or CPES).

Hi All. I saw in another thread (also an older thread) that Hughes Hardwoods in Sacramento is again carrying 4 mm okoume. Before I call them and go traipsing off to Sacramento I thought I'd ask here if anyone found a source in San Francisco area? I've googled and phoned around and not found any 'in stock', but Mt Storm in Windsor can order it for me for $80 a sheet. I"d like to find someplace that stocks it in the north bay (I'm in Petaluma) that I can drive in and load up for less than that, but so far no soap. Anybody with a secret stash? Seriously, I'm usually pretty good at ferreting out suppliers, but with all the water around here I expected someone to stock this stuff. When I google it I get all sorts of hits back east, but the shipping kills. Thanks for any insight.

Just listened to one of the Hooked on Wooden Boats podcasts and I think it was Doug Hylan said that he didn't use okoume much due to the poor rot resistance, instead using Hydrotek / Meranti which is readily available here. But if weight is a primary factor and you can get what you want at a decent price, go for it.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

You tried MacBeath and Handlogger's Hardwoods? they've both carried it in the past, Macbeath quite recently. Don't think Moore Newton does.
    Last edited by Hugh Conway; 11-21-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Hi guys, I made the following inquiry: "I'm looking for 4mm okoume plywood, BS 1088 in 4x8 sheets. Preferably Joubert brand, but will consider domestically sourced. Do you stock, or can you order? Will call for pickup. Please provide pricing in reply. Thanks."

at Handloggers Hardwoods (Richmond), MacBeath (Berkeley), Mt. Storm (Windsor), and Friedmans (Sonoma).

Here is what I have so far:

1) Handlogger's Hardwoods, inc.
    925 Hensley Street
    Richmond, CA 94801
    (510) 231-6190

Tim says: ”We haven't been stocking [that] for the last few years, but we've been bringing it in on special order depending on the quantity desired. We only deal with Joubert in full units. How much are you looking for?”

I replied; “Eight Sheets”, so far no additional response.

2) MacBeath Hardwood
    930 Ashby Ave.
    Berkeley, Ca 94710
    P 510.843.4390

Alan - “Good morning, we do not stock Okoume 1088, but we do stock 4mm Hydrotek BS1088 marine plywood. It is made of red meranti and the cost is $40.43 per sheet and we have it in our Berkeley location.”

3) Mt Storm Forest Products
    5700 Earhart Court
    Windsor, CA 95492
    Joe - “We can order it for me for about $80 a sheet” (paraphrased).

4)
    Friedmans Home Improvement
    1360 Broadway
    Sonoma, CA 95476
    (707) 939-8811

Chris – “None of our suppliers carry marine plywood in 4mm sheets, smallest they have is 1/2 inch. You could try Capital Plywood in Sacramento.”

I was looking for okoume becuase I'm building a couple of kayaks and plan on the most tortuous hull curves I can achieve, and wanted to minimize weight. Also, as I intend to finish them ‘bright’ I like the pretty look of this wood, though the others can be nice too. The idea was to find someplace within driving distance - but if I'm gonna order it and pay freight anyway, then it becomes a whole different calculation. Thanks for your inputs, and I post this mostly as a FYI for future readers.

That's about what I found out when looking for 4mm okoume for my Wee Rob. I went with the Hydrotek at MacBeath. The quality didn't seem as good as okoume (in both the surface and the inner plies) , but it was considerably less expensive, and you usually get what you pay for.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything"

Roosevelt, Theodore

You can order marine ply from Mead & Clark lumber in Santa rosa,Ca.,.
    It takes about 1 week.

Quote Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
    You can order marine ply from Mead & Clark lumber in Santa rosa,Ca.,.
    It takes about 1 week.
    Thanks Donald. I checked with Mead Clark, they are supplied by Mt. Storm for their marine plywood, so no net gain there.

I called Hughes a couple months ago and they had Joubert okoume in 4, 6, 9, and 12 mm. Decent prices, too, I think around $80 for the 6 mm.
    A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble. -- E.B. White