Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12312 ... LastLast

Thread: The continuing adventures of the Laughing Polar Bear Cap....

Default Re: The continuing adventures of the Laughing Polar Bear Cap....

My,my don't they look handsome !!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Don't they , a regular pair of Aussie heartbreakers eh.

Right, now I've awooken and had a cuppa I see we've been visited in the night by our very own legend, the great Mr Lemonhands himself. Yes Pete me ole mate , you will have to get one of them hats for your unselfish self... in fact I think you must. The same warning applies though ... be carefull where you wear it lest you be overcome with excessive attention from the other component of this fine life. Too much of a good thing y' know... can be bad for you.

Mickey , nice of you take a look . As one who contributes such legendary input as the Mickey on a trapeze on a one man death trap of a boat thread and many others, thats a fine compliment indeed.
    Last edited by John B; 06-23-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Sean: I'm not rilly quivering , its my real body is standing on the land back home near Christchurch and it just keeps shaking.

Sweetie: Nice one it is too if I may say so. How come yer only wearing speedos and a towell.

Sean: Thought I'd pop in fer a swim while I was here.
    Cheek! (not a speedos reference).....I know for a "fact" that John has a pallet of hats in his shed and is trying to create a demand for them so he can make a huge prophet.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Quote Originally Posted by P.L.Lenihan View Post
    If this keeps up, Imma gonna half ta git me one of them thar polar bar caps too fur me big fat head!
    Still got that extra special one I gave you? I hope it still fits 'cause they don't make 'em any bigger!

Quote Originally Posted by P.L.Lenihan View Post
    Sort of like a magic latern, you have to rub it a bit for the genie to appear!
    So that's what I keep doin' wrong! I keep askin' the wife to rub it for me!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    She:Kon, pronounced "Say-go" is a traditional Iroquois greeting that means "Do you still have the Great Peace?" (Old forum name: KnottyBuoyz)

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    a huge prophet.
    Don't you go runing this thread by turning it religeous boyo. You'll be on very shaky ground.

um, oh yeah, thats right......forgit the last bit.

John,
    I have recently become a LPBC Club inductee, I'm waiting patiently on the mail to arrive so I guess I'm actually a nominee at the moment.
    Anyway at the risk of a small hijack I've gotta comment on your really nifty mizzen sheet track a fantastic idea and something I've not seen before.

Mike pic of the prized cap will follow.

I'm a little bit disturbed by this ' preservation' approach by a couple of our members. Brother Cogeniac with his pristinely maintained unit and now it appears, Eric.
    I believe these caps are there to be worn in fine and inclement weather ,and even exposed to the risk of being lost overboard, ... but I can see the attraction of securing the thing as an investment.
    Appears John, appears, that is the operative word in that comment. That hat has covered my scalp in the making of my sister's deck, ripping out of 2 walls in the cottage, re-plumb of the neighbor's water line and many a bonfire's have been graced by the presence of "THE HAT". I somehow feel it needs to be near or on the water which is why it is left at my cottage (which I go to every weekend). I can assure you it has salt stains from sweat, dirt marks, the whole bit. It is not a shelf sitter!!!

I promise, pics this weekend as I have one more wall to put together and maybe even on the boat is if the darn rain would stop.

WX, NICE LIFT!!! I forgot about that one, thanks for sharing.
    LBPC member since page 14, wood flour tip, green cap, no chips....

Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    John,
    I have recently become a LPBC Club inductee, I'm waiting patiently on the mail to arrive so I guess I'm actually a nominee at the moment.
    Anyway at the risk of a small hijack I've gotta comment on your really nifty mizzen sheet track a fantastic idea and something I've not seen before.

Mike pic of the prized cap will follow.
    Thats good news Emtoosea, it seems good luck and fortune is winging its way to you as we speak. Yes that traveller is a neat little thing, not that I can claim anything to do with it. It seems to look after a 200 ft mizzen fine but when the mizzen staysail is up and loaded( it sheets to the mizzen boom) it ends up carrying around 600ft of sail up to about 18 or 20 knots or so.
    Last edited by John B; 06-24-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric D View Post
    Appears John, appears, that is the operative word in that comment. That hat has covered my scalp in the making of my sister's deck, ripping out of 2 walls in the cottage, re-plumb of the neighbor's water line and many a bonfire's have been graced by the presence of "THE HAT". I somehow feel it needs to be near or on the water which is why it is left at my cottage (which I go to every weekend). I can assure you it has salt stains from sweat, dirt marks, the whole bit. It is not a shelf sitter!!!

I promise, pics this weekend as I have one more wall to put together and maybe even on the boat is if the darn rain would stop.

WX, NICE LIFT!!! I forgot about that one, thanks for sharing.
    Gazza is the man for sure.

I'm very glad your LPBC isn't a wallflower cap Eric, I can see the attraction of hanging it in a location where it could reside and appreciate in value with each passing year.. perhaps even frame it! but no as I said before its not in me to walk on past it without clapping it to my noggin regardless of risk.

The world awaits your contribution to the LPBC photo record....

The world awaits your contribution to the LPBC photo record....
    would you believe I dropped my hammer on the damn camera?

that is not my excuse, I was just wondering if you would believe it?! No, I flat out forgot the damn camera and half way through the reconstruction project I remembered I needed a picture, went to turn on my phone and it was DEAD, I had left it on all night. No biggie, just a quick recharge, and presto, I FORGOT to take a picture "in action" until I was all cleaned up!!!

Well, I am off for 2 weeks so I will get one coming shortly, please, I beg for a stay of termination,
    LBPC member since page 14, wood flour tip, green cap, no chips....

No talk of termination necessary there Eric, this is a long term project.
    My LPBC is going on a trip itself soon ... only a few days to go and I'm ( oops .. We're) outa here for a few weeks .
    Last edited by John B; 06-27-2011 at 06:23 PM.

I earned my LPBC Club membership as runner up in a photo caption contest featuring our very own Mr. Ledger and the tool he uses to multiply. Oops I mean divide with. This was way back in February of 09. I could have earned a second cap but I turned it down to be given to the next runner up in the bung guessing contest.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Moi? runner up... ... that was me? yehaw. Its karma I tell ya.

While I can not offer proper photographic documentation at the moment, I have recently come into possesion of my very own LPBC!

I am not entirely certain how I won it, but I ain't lookin' a gifthorse in the mouth. Know what I mean?

Nautical LPBC pics coming after this weekend!

It all started innocently enough with Saltiguy posting a guessing game to find the night watchman.So I did,and next thing I know I had been inducted into the exclusive LPBC club.Here's the link to that adventure. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...12#post3041812

All the while things weren't looking so good for one Simon Bates A.K.A. Master Bates,over in Cap'n Lenihan's bow shed.If you read through this, to the next page,you will see that Simon is no where to be seen after taking a little spill off the bow. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?80153-Just-fore-the-fun-of-it-)&p=3051966#post3051966

After reading through Cap'n Lenihans ordeal with Simon and he now missing from the picture,I received this.

I had stepped away from my desk,and hear a noise coming from the other side.The box jumped right off my desk and onto the floor without warning.What's going on here?Simon is that you in that there box?

Not knowing at the time where Simon maybe,I asked Cap'n Lenihan if Simon had stowed away in my package.Reassured by Cap'n Lenihan that he had control of Simon,I cautiously opened my package because Simon is a sneak one.I look in without fear.

That was a close one.Simon didn't slip past Cap'n Lenihan.What a lucky break.

Now lets go down to the docks and see exactly how lucky I am.

Well damn!My boat still hasn't come in.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Nice to see some of our caps have emerged overnight, antipodes time.
    I started out with a nice dream; There I was steering a lovely Davidson 45 footer through an opening in a polynesian reef, an Atoll really. Naturally I was wearing my Laughing Polar Bear Cap, plus some other clothes, and someone was up the rig looking out for coral heads. The water was so clear that even with 50 ft below us , you could see the shells and fish on the bottom. Then I had trouble breathing, it was like my mouth was full of moths, and I had an ache in one temple as though something was pressing into it.

I woke up and it was just me 'at. The beak was pokin' me in the eye and the lanyard had got a bit tight around my neck. No biggy.
    We did this about a week or so ago.. its probably the most exciting thing I've ever done in a boat. We had 20 knots and a black squall behind us, 800 miles from home. I was on the helm and we ran the entrance with breaking seas on either side of us and a fast current against us turning the water white in the channel. It was unreal, in an unreal place.

Mine on another adventure a few weeks back.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I don't know what Scott is doing but it's not fixed yet.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I see what you mean Gary.. what ? is it one photo a post now?

Its bloody freezing here right now. There's random talk of sn.. snn.. snnno, white stuff coming out of the sky and landing on the 'ranges' off to the edge of the city.

This is moi and friend hove to off the kermadecs a couple of weeks ago... same day of a tsunami we're told.

The LPBC goes to the middle of nowhere

and has a bite of some seafood

look.. a flying fish on the deck!

and another one.

and a visit aboard Yukon( WB220) in Nukualofa.

Our bar in Tonga.... er... well, one of them.

Last edited by John B; 07-27-2011 at 08:49 PM.

JB
    I hope that beast on deck made it to a smoke house & was not 'wasted'?

Alan
    "Old boats are like teenage girlfriends: there is a certain urgency to their needs & one neglects them at one's peril"

John that cap looks lonely. Do you need another deck hand, galley slave, fish cleaner or what ever.

Mike

I tell ya Mike, I'm cold and depressed right now after getting off the boat at Nukualofa and back here.. I'm ready to go again( I wish).

a few more.. the LPBC goes to Minerva reef North

finds another bar ( The Billfish bar in Tonga)

The Phoenix T shirt visits Fafa island

and the cap has another beer or two.

geez it was tough...

Tony T, Moi, Kev the Aussie and skipper Dave

sigh.
    Last edited by John B; 07-27-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snow(Alan H) View Post
    JB
    I hope that beast on deck made it to a smoke house & was not 'wasted'?

Alan
    no waste... it fed somewhere between 20 and 30 families , plus us , plus a customs guy's family, a maf guy , an immigration guy, two ( or was it three) boats clearing at the same time as us...........

I left out me mahi mahi...

Good size one too. we had 2 others as well but that one was way bigger owing to the LPBC.
    Last edited by John B; 07-27-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Im sad to announce that mine has gone MIA. Im not sure where I left it, but I damn well better find it. It was the best fitting hat I ever had! And I didn't even have to adjust it out of the box...
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Never mind AYG, it'll definitely return. I 'lost' mine for about 3 weeks and then found it had merely been ' tidied'.

Now that the excitement of mine and my LPBC's Tonga trip is waning, I see when I read back that Ben has made a stellar effort to record his fine aquisition and we have imminent photos pending from Mike Eric and Sailor , and A.Greever.
    Our caps run over.

oops, found another bar... that is.. the LPBC found another bar.

Last edited by John B; 07-27-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Just dropped in to let you know the LPBC is still alive and well albeit a lil' sawdusty at the moment. ;-)

Somebody please tell Peter I'm about to setup the strongback. I know he's been waiting for me to do this for months.

http://she-kon.blogspot.com/
    She:Kon, pronounced "Say-go" is a traditional Iroquois greeting that means "Do you still have the Great Peace?" (Old forum name: KnottyBuoyz)

Holy mother of Merlot!

I think that's right?

You're finally breaking ground on the strong back?I can't wait fur this.Good luck.I'm watching with amazement and in suspense.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    You're finally breaking ground on the strong back?I can't wait fur this.Good luck.I'm watching with amazement and in suspense.
    It's up. Oh boy!

Looks good.Did it take long to assemble the strong back?

Rick, if you don't start posting pics of your build on this forum again, Ill start doing it for you.

Still no sight of my LPBC. I am considering is MIA. Hopefully it will keep someone else's head warm and eyes shaded.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Has it turned up yet?

Mine has been assisting in shifting the primary winches on Riada. These things are mofo's I gotta say, 10 in /250 mm across the base and close to 40 kg each.

New position.

Just a small job which has expanded to take all time available.

We all know what that's like. Lots of small jobs do that to me. Sad to say our LPBCs didn't arrive in time to go on the Welfare Fleet Cruise with us. Happy to say they were here waiting for us when we got back, though.

Stay tuned for pics.

Steven

I hope all you LPBC members will be wearing your caps tomorrow in honor of Tenner's big day. Wish I could be there. But with my LPBC on at least I'll be there in spirit.

Steven