Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51415

Thread: The continuing adventures of the Laughing Polar Bear Cap....

Default Re: The continuing adventures of the Laughing Polar Bear Cap....

Quote Originally Posted by P.L.Lenihan View Post
    Very kind of you to say so,Greg. I too miss the forum and the unpredictable madness which would ensue(often) during the course of my seemingly never ending build thread. So many of the contributions made by good folks ,like yourself, sometimes had me running off to the little boys room to avoid wetting myself from uncontrolled fits of howling bladder loosening laughter!

Several years ago, we bought a simple place, which then lead to a remarkably long list of honey-do projects. Strange how some arrive at a conclusion which goes something like this;" Well, if you can build a boat, then surely you know how to rip out a ceiling extraction fan in the bathroom,replace it with a new but larger unit and re-route the conduit up to the roof,right?" Despite my desperate attempts at explaining that building a box with a pointy nose does not a boat builder make. That is, it does not make one an electrician, plasterer, contortionist and roof climber. The tragedy is how not one bit of weepy-eyed sniveling nor rolling around on the floor frothing like madman possessed, brought even the slightest whiff of relief from the deluge of honey-do projects.

All of those little home projects just about drained the mojo right out of me. No more unfettered traipsing about my one and only favorite forum.No! No more loose and lazy times parked in front of a computer screen drooling at boat pictures.None! No more blissful days driving over to the boatyard in winter to attempt projects on the boat. Don't even dare to look out the window toward the car!

But, Nat was happy and, by close association, so too I became. And it was precisely during one of these happy as a clam, head in the clouds moments, where I found myself carrying an arm full of firewood down into the garage where my left foot located a slick bit of ice but the right foot didn't. I never heard nor felt the break, but when I looked down, my right foot had somehow managed a near 90 degree re-alignment with the rest of the leg.

This fraction of a second event translated nicely into being off work for over a year due to all sorts of wonderful medical complications and frightening in-competencies from folks who should have known better.This left me needing to be taught how to walk again after several months being rather immobilized. I did however master the use of a wheel chair before moving up a notch and graduating to an odd combo of crutches and walker.( I think the physio folks must have thought like Nat..well if you can build a boat surely you can take on these two nifty devices...simultaneously). Having been placed in the advanced class for smart students, I was well on my way to being accepted into the dashing and very British one walking cane class.

That is where things changed. The physio-therapist one day caught me off-guard. I was laying on the bed at the clinic doing my exercise "routine" and she just simply said to me,"walk over toward me for a moment, I want to show you something". And just like that, I did what she asked but forgot the crutches! After several months of constant need for auxiliary support just to safely walk, I walked for the first time entirely free of any device!

If I had believed in spirits in the sky, I would have thanked god and claimed a miracle. Had I any goodness in my little black heart, I would have hugged the therapist and given her a nice thank-you card and some flowers. Instead, all I did was suddenly freeze still for a moment, look down and around at myself, then once more at my leg for good measure before letting trickle down a tear or two on my cheeks. The light at the end of the tunnel never glowed brighter and I could almost smell the air outside the tunnel!

Then the pandemic struck.

I look forward to mastering the new normal!

Cheers!

Peter Lenihan
    In fairness to Nat’ (and the physio'), in building a boat you have shown that you can pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time as questioning how much wood a wood chuck can chuck..... so anything else should be well within your realms of capability.

But it doesn’t sound like your reason for absence has been quite as “otherwise” as you’d like us to think Pedro! It sounds more like you’ve been put through the wringer backwards with your busted leg and the complications in recovery. I’m really sorry that you’ve had to go through with it and that you’ve been stuffed around by nincompoops along the way....do we read osteomyelitis, gangrene or septicaemia or something between the lines?? And are you walking on an even keel now?

So what now? Are you back at work?

I’m still not sure what the new normal is supposed to be. Our local hardware store is now busier than it’s ever been with the carpark on weekdays looking like it used to on weekends and not even worth considering to attempt visiting on the weekend. Meanwhile one of my neighbours who is an Ambo/Paramedic says that his life has quietened down considerably with less accidents and emergency callouts......
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

So I step away for a few measly hours and the prodigal son of the wooden boat forum returns.eh.
    What a pleasure it is to see your name and evocative writing once more Peter. I definitely forgive you for your transgression, terrible tho it was.
    What was it again?
    Certainly no need for an LPBC, doncha know that the original got washed just last year, or maybe this year and blow me down it came out fresh yet faded and careworn, practically disappeared on my head it matched my visage so well. Patina of the cap and face, a perfect match. So I still have the second one you so kindly sent me last time I moaned, it is cap banked. Should a third wing it's way out of the icy north it should definitely head to someone else's deserving head. I don't mean that in the marine sense of course.
    I don't like hearing about your leg, it just goes to prove that land is dangerous. You wouldn't have been carrying firewood to the basement if you were on Turtle Bay.
    I too have been renovating, fitting plumbing and electrical services,(although using a tradesman to make the connections and sign off), framing a bit, cladding , plastering and painting, trim work, roofing and flashing ( flashing is the interface between vertical cladding or windows etc and the roof, not a guy in a raincoat, I just want to make that clear) Chainsaw chopping of trees, you should take that up , it's quite invigorating, exciting and also rewarding ,as your partner gazes at you with glossy eyed veneration after a successful felling. It's a lot of trouble though and when you consider one can obtain the same status by merely donning the LPBC, probably not worth the danger.

Anyway , stick around old stick, nice to see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I

But it doesn’t sound like your reason for absence has been quite as “otherwise” as you’d like us to think Pedro! It sounds more like you’ve been put through the wringer backwards with your busted leg and the complications in recovery. I’m really sorry that you’ve had to go through with it and that you’ve been stuffed around by nincompoops along the way....do we read osteomyelitis, gangrene or septicaemia or something between the lines?? And are you walking on an even keel now?

So what now? Are you back at work?

There's that good ol' Ozzy perspicaciousness coming to the fore again. Damn those in between the lines words...Unfortunately, I really cannot reveal the nitty-gritty details of my medical dossier, being somewhat a reserved type, ten thumbs not withstanding. However, I can perhaps hint at the very real loss of sleep,last year, over the course of 4 straight nights, spent pondering how I will get about on my left foot,singular, for the rest of my life.

Suffice to say, at the moment, the left foot still has its opposite number. But it sure does not look,nor feel, like the handsome twin it once was.

"So what now?" I am doing my level best to answer that very question myself and have yet to nail down anything clear or definitive. As for being back at work, yes and no.Thus ample time to continue searching for the allusive "what now?" answer. With any kind of luck, I may well have an answer in the coming months, as I've given myself a deadline of somewhere around the end of September.

Despite some digging around the LPBC inventory at home, I just cannot locate one possessed with the powers of a crystal ball.Rotten luck!

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    So I step away for a few measly hours and the prodigal son of the wooden boat forum returns.eh.
    What a pleasure it is to see your name and evocative writing once more Peter. I definitely forgive you for your transgression, terrible tho it was.
    What was it again?
    Certainly no need for an LPBC, doncha know that the original got washed just last year, or maybe this year and blow me down it came out fresh yet faded and careworn, practically disappeared on my head it matched my visage so well. Patina of the cap and face, a perfect match. So I still have the second one you so kindly sent me last time I moaned, it is cap banked. Should a third wing it's way out of the icy north it should definitely head to someone else's deserving head. I don't mean that in the marine sense of course.
    I don't like hearing about your leg, it just goes to prove that land is dangerous. You wouldn't have been carrying firewood to the basement if you were on Turtle Bay.
    I too have been renovating, fitting plumbing and electrical services,(although using a tradesman to make the connections and sign off), framing a bit, cladding , plastering and painting, trim work, roofing and flashing ( flashing is the interface between vertical cladding or windows etc and the roof, not a guy in a raincoat, I just want to make that clear) Chainsaw chopping of trees, you should take that up , it's quite invigorating, exciting and also rewarding ,as your partner gazes at you with glossy eyed veneration after a successful felling. It's a lot of trouble though and when you consider one can obtain the same status by merely donning the LPBC, probably not worth the danger.

Anyway , stick around old stick, nice to see you.

Dear Sir John B.( if I may be so bold!),

Your kind words and generous spirit are clearly in evidence with virtually every posting you make here. I am humbled and,most importantly, grateful for the opportunity to at least step out of the shade and appear in a better light.
    And if that wasn't enough, there's more! Your deep,and no doubt, hard won sapience is available to all who read your posts here. Just a quick bit to quell all doubters, lifted directly from the above;"land is dangerous."
    If only you had posted that just before I bent over to load up my arms with firewood ! I swear I would have instantly dropped the entire load there and hollered over to Nat something along the lines of " Listen hear, sweetheart, John B says land is dangerous, an' I believes him with all me rotten little 'eart, so off to the boat I am and give us a ring when you're finished unloading your firewood!"

Yesirree, I have strange dreams and latent death wishes, I must!

Be that as it may, I nevertheless wish to also thank those who have taken the time to "sign the petition" mentioned several posts ago, and truly hope others just coming across this will do likewise.
    I have not Facebook et al and wait patiently for "breaking news" via conventional e-mail that all is saved, or at least put on hold for fair time yet.

Cheers LPBCers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Greetings LPBC woodbutchers par excellence,

A little up date: Just received an e-mail informing me how the petition, mentioned just a wee bit upstream on this fine thread, is about to hit 10,000 signatures. Remarkable!! The marina atmosphere is growing palpably brighter and more optimistic, as more efforts are brought to bear on the current city administration. There can be little doubt the impact such an ever growing petition will have come the end of August, when a big city wide budget is expected to be tabled.

Without knowing all the LPBC members who may have already signed, I nevertheless wish to pass on my heart felt thanks for those who have taken a minute out of their otherwise engaged lives to indeed sign the petition. Those whose Caps have yet to alert them of this, either through a nervous trembling or a profound inability to sit tight on ones head, you might wish to see what all the fuss is about by clicking on the nice link both Gary and Garret posted:
    https://www.change.org/p/p%C3%A9titi...lachine-marina

In other news, I was rudely disturbed while gazing out over the near tranquil waters of the marina, just three days ago, and asked whether I may be interested in participating in a promo-video the marina wished to do.
    Well I hummed and hawed while showing them my old letter of refusal from the actors guild, but they would not listen. I then showed them my minor collection of Laughing Polar Bear Caps as evidence of my relative (in)sanity. Once again, they simply let a polite smile appear on their faces. You know, the type parents give to children while at their wits end in public.
    As quick as that, I was wrestled off my boat and dragged around, while being fed nothing more than lines to say while staring into a huge camera lens. It was ruthless and dry the way I was expected to enunciate without proper hydration of the manly kind.
    In the end I seem to have been an acceptable candidate because they have gone and posted the promo video.

Y'all are invited to see it here:https://www.plaisancierslachine.com/

I wanted the comfort of my own LPBC but others thought otherwise. Be warned, this is the sort of stuff which may may also happen to you if you are caught capless at the wrong time!

A continued big thank you to all who do sign the petition.

Sincerely,

Peter Lenihan
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by M. J. Notigan View Post
    Signed. The least we can do for a good friend on these pages as well as for the boating public in Montreal. Marinas these days are in trouble when govt gets a great idea in it's head about making things better. My hope is that the petition changes the minds of the local govt there.

As Greg correctly noted, you are missed on this forum and it's a bright day indeed to see you posting, however brief, here again, Peter.

All the best to Nat and to your continued recovery from your slip and fall.

You know, you could have continued your boat build by including your house build, here.....this way you could get 30 different opinions about how to do that drywall job in the backroom, on a nightly basis!:

I hope you find some time, here or there to post up again on your Just For The Fun Of It thread. That gathering of friends there was a bright spot indeed back in that time frame and is missed.

No work on the Microtrawler for about 2-3 years but it may be time to clean her up inside and out and look over some things I can accomplish before the cold weather arrives sometime in December or so. But a couple pictures and the LPBC on a cold winters sundown on the Delaware River to keep things honest. All the best to ya and Nat!

Attachment 66130

Attachment 66131

Attachment 66132
    WOW!WOW! and WOW! I cannot believe I missed this!!!My page loading happened just jump to a new page, with yours counting as the last on the previous page.

Well Mike, I just have to say your bike and boat look like a fine match for some serious gunkholing unlimited! Cheeses! The places your Micro Trawler can take you, either via the waterways or helped along with road transport!
    You must be made of stronger stuff than myself.........I would have probably hurled myself clean off that bridge in your stunning LPBC photo, had I been deprived for 2-3 years from finishing Turtle Bay.

Wishing you the very best , my friend, and may you one day soon experience the sublime pleasures of running a boat fashioned from your own hands.

Cheers!

Peter Lenihan
    J.Lennon

https://www.plaisancierslachine.com/

Dodgy hat, intoxicating voice, incredibly handsome couple, some strange foreign language ......... all makes perfect sense to me
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Peter, that was kind of you to say, my friend.

It took a while for this computer challenged computer user to figure out how to open your marina video, but what a very nice piece and that setting outside the St Lawrence is beautiful. I think it hits the right tone, one of family and friends, each enjoying the other's company. And they could not have picked a better spokesman.

All the best to you and Nat, as well as your neighbors and friends at your marina.

Mike

https://www.plaisancierslachine.com/

Dodgy hat, intoxicating voice, incredibly handsome couple, some strange foreign language ......... all makes perfect sense to me

Love the way you think,Greg! I really wanted to wear one of my LPBCs but they "forced" the phony captains hat on my noggin. It does help hide the covid hairstyle somewhat.
    Intoxicated voice? That came very shortly after, once they untied me so I could return to Turtle Bay. Mind you, I was there only a short time before having to race home and prep Nat for the video......it is a good thing I did too, for the look on her face when she saw a strange woman laying peacefully beside me....well Sir....you shoulda heard my French then!

Many thanks again for your humour!!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by M. J. Notigan View Post
    Peter, that was kind of you to say, my friend.

II think it hits the right tone, one of family and friends, each enjoying the other's company. And they could not have picked a better spokesman.

All the best to you and Nat, as well as your neighbors and friends at your marina.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

It is encouraging to read, from one far removed from the action, your opinion regarding getting the tone correct. The video crew were sharp as blades

Tomorrow, a large rally is planned in Old Montreal, in front of city hall, where various media have been given a little heads up regarding our intentions. If any of the news coverage actually makes it beyond Montreal, I'll be the guy with a LPBC holding a flaming torch......just kidding about the torch! Besides, I am putting a whole lot of faith in the mighty powers such caps have been known to unleash on their unsuspecting owners. Nat will be close by my side, just in case I make the innocent mistake of picking a hat possessed with a je-ne-sait-quoi,git-yer-buns-over-here-girl magic. I know Sailor, and at least one other innocent, just barely escaped with their clothes still on once women various spied them off in the distance.

One can never be too careful, or as Sir John B cautioned,"land is dangerous".

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Thankyou Peter, and I must say that it is very refreshing to see you here, you are very much missed here mate.
    Plus one.
    Rattling the teacups.

I made it through the petition signing process myself, I hope the city realises how short sighted it is in its intention to replace dreams with dirt.

Since we are celebrating the return of the Lemon fingered one I thought I would assemble my hat triumvirate.

20200825_083315.jpg
    Not without some issues I might add. I'm sure we've all experienced that moment of near panic when something of inestimable value is not where you thunk you left it. I was able to go straight to the cap banked LPBC in the cupboard ,sitting right there in the cap shrine next to Dave and Rosemary's WoodenBoat magazine special occasion hat. But momentarily I was unable to imagine where the original bung guesser prize was.
    Fortunately I was brought up by a mother well versed in forgetfulness blended with wisdom and I applied her ' just think of where you were when you last had it' method, the one she used for car keys, the lawnmower , and my younger sister.
    There it was in the transit van, I remember now, I needed a hair damper when I went out the other day.

Anyway ,above you will see my prize collection mounted on some chainsaw art that fell off my saw only 2 days ago, I call it "Peter's shorts'.
    To my horror I notice that the button on my new 10 year old LPBC is corroding, although it is cap banked it has actually made a trip to Fiji just in case something tragic happened. So I think some salty air has permeated it's othwise perfect presentation.

The middle is of course the thousands upon thousands of sea and coastal mile LPBC. Tens of thousands, minerva reef 4 times, Tonga twice, Fiji 3 times, 5 months away the first Riada island cruise, 4 the second .It was very grimy after all that tropical adventuring and sweaty night watches .
    Upon soaking it in a bucket of detergent for a day or three it came out like new! Who knew you washed hats! It's a thing.

The WB hat on the right has also travelled a bit , both locally and overseas as it accompanied my head to Fiji in 19. Not a working hat like the LPBC you understand, more for going out in. Like for example , that day in Fulaga in the southern Lau group when climbing up to the cave of skulls. There were skulls in there, maybe 10.. but what was so disturbing was the occasional hole .Clearly these poor people had used Ricks method of hat attachment , ie a nail... perhaps that didn't work out so well.
    Photo overlooking the village of Monacake, Fulaga after looking at the skulls.
    20190830_143050_resized.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 08-24-2020 at 07:25 PM.

Mine is hanging on my chair in my bedroom, waiting for the next outing.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

I'm also a LPBC twofer. Mine will be put to good use. The medics are going to drill a couple of holes in my head. Not for trepanning, but to put some wires in, an electric starter for my dopamine.

They clearly haven't done much wood boat building, because they leave the plugs slightly proud, and I cannot persuade them to take a sharp to them. They will look like juvenile deer antlers on my bald pate. I'll have to emulate Ian McC and wear my hat indoors (of course , mine being a LPBC hat, it' superior to his Greek fisherman chapeau.

Wishing you the very best with that Gareth!
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

What great news Gareth, excellent.
    I saw you on the video tribute the other day too.

Thanks guys. I'll start a thread on it when I know for sure. The last hurdle is a zoom meeting with the psychiatrist to see if I can endure being uncomfortable (apparently there are no nerves in the brain, so it's not painful) for a few hours. It can't be worse than a Gulf Stream crossing.

Now back to the hats.

Well... perhaps if you mention that you possess an LPBC to the doc........

Things went strange this week.
    20200919_142706.jpg

LPBC appreciation society.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Things went strange this week.
    20200919_142706.jpg
    Groupies, they're a pain.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Appreciation society/ groupies all right, the little duckers came in the house !
    It's like scooter paparazzi.