Page 1 of 13 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: The continuing adventures of the Laughing Polar Bear Cap....

Default The continuing adventures of the Laughing Polar Bear Cap....

The more I see of Peter Lenihan's extraordinary generosity and general good spirited discussion going on in his whale of a thread over in Building and Repair, the more I began to feel that one aspect, the sending out into the world of the Laughing Polar Bear Caps, deserved its own tribute thread. I mean , if you want to start your day out in decent mood then reading a post or two over there is a sure fire way to do it but the caps.. well they're developing a life of their own.
    Initially as a lurker on the thread, I voiced an opinion one day which led me on to actually joining one of his 'competitions'. In my case a bung guessing competition which I managed through rum and good luck to come first equal or second in. Lo, what arrives in the post fairly shortly after but a laughing Polar Bear Cap! alla way to NZ from the little round pool in a back yard capital of the world, Montreal. ( my google earth still works)
    I've had my cap about 2 seasons or so so far and I suppose its managed a couple of thousand miles up and down and around our little cruising ground here on the North East coast of NZ... No she's no trailer queen kept away in a closet so to speak, or brushed and tucked away in a drawer or idolised on some hat stand.. a working cap this one is.

Anyway , I think that if you're one of the fortunate few recipients ... about 15 internationally to date I do believe,then please pop a pic in here in this thread so we can maintain a database of their general locations and further experiences.

Speculation on Mr Lemonhands actual daytime job.. probably as the Chief of an international viral marketing operation, is also welcome.

Sometime in 2010

January 2011, preparations for the Russell Tall Ships( which it won line honours)

Proving that it is a deadly fish hunter and cotcher.
    Last edited by John B; 06-21-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Default Re: The continuing adventures of the Laughing Polar Bear Cap....

OK - only a recent recipient so not a lot of 'catwalk' photos yet - but I'm in to start the ball rolling

;

;

Plus they come with wood chips , thats a bit like the counter hopper at McDonalds asking "do you want frys with that"

"Old boats are like teenage girlfriends: there is a certain urgency to their needs & one neglects them at one's peril"

My early version didn't come with wood shavings .I'm conflicted about that... the glory of the wood shavings V the customs/ border guys raid.( are wood shavings Ok across international borders provided you promise not to smoke em?)

I'm desperately jealous, and my bald pate glows with envy

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    My early version didn't come with wood shavings .I'm conflicted about that... the glory of the wood shavings V the customs/ border guys raid.( are wood shavings Ok across international borders provided you promise not to smoke em?)
    Only if they come from "certified" wood. (Requires a stamp. DAMHIKT)
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    and , and ... what is the vessel taking pride of place in that ad !!! before sponsons no less. Peters other long lost whale of a thread.

I'm desperately jealous, and my bald pate glows with envy
    Its a very comfortable hat. Also, being basically French speaking its totally irresistable to women ,which is why I have to make sure I'm particularly scruffy when I'm wearing it. Otherwise... well, watch out, danger Will Robinson.

That Alan. He needs to be very careful 'ow ee uses that at ,being a happily married man an all ( like Moi).

Mine came with wood shavings and I only recently committed them to the fireplace. In a small house there is a limit to what you can keep. Mine will be the hat of choice for my trip over the weekend.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

( shock , sharp intake of breath, not the fire)

Gotta pic?

The box is still in the work shed with the shavings inside - I will burn some tonight, incense style & have an inhale. If you never see me again it will be because I have run away from the marital home with a Air France hostess.
    Last edited by snow(Alan H); 06-21-2011 at 08:55 PM.
    "Old boats are like teenage girlfriends: there is a certain urgency to their needs & one neglects them at one's peril"

An Air France hostess who likes reciprocating steam (I've flown Air France a few times, their "service" is lacklustre.)

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Only if they come from "certified" wood. (Requires a stamp. DAMHIKT)
    ah ha, I see there is risk involved. That makes it all the more interesting.

An Air France hostess who likes reciprocating steam (I've flown Air France a few times, their "service" is lacklustre.)
    Like most things French - its normally all for show, but I'm not complaining, have fond memories of being 16 on a under 18yr rugby trip to New Caledonia (French controlled) that has become a legend in the minds of those that toured. Drinking age was 21 in NZ. NC it was 16, topless french school girls (16+ yrs) who thought our accent was so cute, night clubs open till dawn. We lost every game of rugby. NC French letters were not something that you posted home................ In fact there was a 'cone of silence' on that trip even today..........

Well there's certainly a little bit of flair in each one of those caps , so watch out.

Being an inquisitive type I do recall looking for the yard and boatthatshallnotbenamed way back in the dark ages of ooo 07 or so. Not to rub it in for Sean who has lost his google earth owing to the fact that his house has moved, but I couldn't help but go back to a Montreal suburb near where our hero keeps his fine craft to refresh my recollection of the place.
    How odd I thought, as I trawled through suburb after suburb, every house has a little polar bear pool .

( shock , sharp intake of breath, not the fire)

Gotta pic?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I felt bad about Peter spending so much on postage to mail out LPBCs, so I went and paid him and Simon a personal visit last October:

--Mike
    “It doesn’t matter how slowly you go -- so long as you do not stop.”
    -Confucius

That's a good photo Mike.

Yeah!

I gained LBPC status in the very same bung guessing contest that John B relates at the start of the thread, so I guess we are LBPC brothers.
    I have many hats and not wanting to mess up this treasure with the many bad fates that befall many good hats, it has adorned the hat hook in the hall pretty much since I got it.
    However, in the spirit of the thread, here it is on that very same kitchen table on which many of my boating projects are done (to my loving wife's enduring patience). Graced by the local brew and some lovely shavings of my own (I do not recall that mine came with shavings, but it did have a rather nice hand written note from the Great One.).

Cheers.
    S
    Last edited by Cogeniac; 12-15-2013 at 10:26 PM.
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    That's a good photo Mike.
    As Peter would say, the water bottle is just for scale (which, if memory serves correct, was also code for, "We ran outta beer AND port!")
    “It doesn’t matter how slowly you go -- so long as you do not stop.”
    -Confucius

Not bein' smart 'nuff to win any contests I obtained my LPBC during a pilgrimage to the Cathedral du Lemonhands last year. It was a pleasure to meet the legendary Mr. Peter Lemonthumbs and his boatbuilding companion, Master Simon Bates.

I had to apologize to Mr. Lemondigits for having wasted nearly a full day of his precious boat building time in the shed but we did share a few good stories and tall tales .

Boots is still cheezed he hasn't got an LPBC in his size!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    She:Kon, pronounced "Say-go" is a traditional Iroquois greeting that means "Do you still have the Great Peace?" (Old forum name: KnottyBuoyz)

ah ha, I see there is risk involved. That makes it all the more interesting.
    And exciting, no?

Are they cedar shavings? If so, I think Chuck used to say that they were burned for ceremonial purposes in Native American (and other...) cultures. Healing and purifying.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

With the recent contests, I believe there are nearly 20 LPB cap-wearers on the Forum.

I wear mine every day, so its not as pristine as it once was, though it is still black. My wife keeps asking," Do you want me to wash your hat?" To which I reply with an emphatic NO!!

Here we see the LPBC in action, as I work on The Duck, a San Juan 21 that I aqcuired.

And here aboard The Duck enjoying the results of my efforts.

The LPBC is also featured in my recent Sail & Oar adventure

To add a degree of seriousness, I applaud Peter's efforts in building a sense of community within our little corner of the Internet. The world of Wooden Boats can get a little heated sometimes, and Peter does great things to keep boatbuilding fun!

That, and he's funny as hell.

Thanks Peter.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Nice to see some of our caps have emerged overnight, antipodes time.
    I started out with a nice dream; There I was steering a lovely Davidson 45 footer through an opening in a polynesian reef, an Atoll really. Naturally I was wearing my Laughing Polar Bear Cap, plus some other clothes, and someone was up the rig looking out for coral heads. The water was so clear that even with 50 ft below us , you could see the shells and fish on the bottom. Then I had trouble breathing, it was like my mouth was full of moths, and I had an ache in one temple as though something was pressing into it.

I woke up and it was just me 'at. The beak was pokin' me in the eye and the lanyard had got a bit tight around my neck. No biggy.
    Last edited by John B; 06-29-2011 at 03:30 PM.

I will snap a pic this weekend of my prize. I save mine for my cottage/boat only and will be goine there this weekend.

I got to thinking, there have been many reasons, not just contests for which the "crown" was awarded. In my case a helpful tip. Others a trip to the promised land. What is your reason, and for fun, what page or therabouts were you awarded?

Great thread John.
    LBPC member since page 14, wood flour tip, green cap, no chips....

I'm a little bit disturbed by this ' preservation' approach by a couple of our members. Brother Cogeniac with his pristinely maintained unit and now it appears, Eric.
    I believe these caps are there to be worn in fine and inclement weather ,and even exposed to the risk of being lost overboard, ... but I can see the attraction of securing the thing as an investment.

No ,No... I can't do it.. better that it be used and driven as it was intended than placed on a pedestal. No slight intended of course , you guys will do what you think best for the cap I'm sure.
    The ambitious young guy seems to me to have a handle on the true path of the thing, but I must say knottybouyz certainly manages to demonstrate the thousand yard stare of the LPBC thinking man. Thinking about boats that is.

That video is impressive.. would that be the first LPBC on moving fillum would you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric D View Post
    I will snap a pic this weekend of my prize. I save mine for my cottage/boat only and will be goine there this weekend.

I got to thinking, there have been many reasons, not just contests for which the "crown" was awarded. In my case a helpful tip. Others a trip to the promised land. What is your reason, and for fun, what page or therabouts were you awarded?

Great thread John.
    I received mine for my mast lifting stunt.

This is a wonderful thread. The kind of thing that makes me really happy that I come here. Thanks, guys.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

As luck would have it, the minutes of a Kenmont Marine board meeting from a few years ago have just turned up. an excerpt:

Ma Kenmont: Hows our marketing campaign goin eh?

Pa Kenmont: We've got the same company involved for the yard. The Extravagent Sandpaper and Lemonhands viral marketing and doohickey company, and the boss has some ideas.

Sonny Kenmont: Well, they did pretty well with the pool division, we have 97% saturation in the Montreal market. We're goin into pool fences and compliance now.

Sweetie Kenmont: and don't forget the sandpaper, those round discs are just flyin off the shelf.

Ma: what about the offcuts from the rolls?

Sweetie: cut em into little triangles for detail sanders.

Pa: still offcuts though.

Sonny: Dremel tools

still some

dentists

still some

jewellers.

Ma : Whats he gonna do 'boot the yard marketing?

Sonny: Caps! We got a picture of Fido for the front an thats gonna be our logo.

Sean: Black and Green.

Pa: Who 're you ,son?

Sean: I'm a hologram from the future. I got sucked up by Google earth and put here to make sure you get the right colours and stick to the programme. Fido won't do either, its gotta be a Bar. A Polar Bar, laughin.

Ma: seems good to me, an if this fine young man Shawn says Polar bear, then Polar bear it is , even if he do speak funny an quivers a lot.
    Last edited by John B; 08-22-2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: brain.

Sean: I'm not rilly quivering , its my real body is standing on the land back home near Christchurch and it just keeps shaking.

Sweetie: Nice one it is too if I may say so. How come yer only wearing speedos and a towell.

Sean: Thought I'd pop in fer a swim while I was here.

Come on you mob where's the photos of yer mugs wid der hat?

Here's mine - fresh out of the box in this pic but already being well used (just not within the vicinity of any cameras lately). I think mines the second most recent to be "awarded"?? I'm feeling fortunate to be in very esteemed company!!

Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

If this keeps up, Imma gonna half ta git me one of them thar polar bar caps too fur me big fat head! Thank you Mr Bertenshaw for spreading the fun and madness, which should usually accompany our boating activities at the best of times..................I think!

It is also nice to see them being used. This is the only known way to get one of these caps to begin working its' magical powers on the wearer.Sort of like a magic latern, you have to rub it a bit for the genie to appear!

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Jolly good show Pedro! I tink you've started a real p'enomenon with them doohicky caps with that now instantly recognisable logo front and centre!

One day... sigh...
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93