Thread: Outer Banks 20 by B&B yacht designs

Default Outer Banks 20 by B&B yacht designs

Does anyone have any experience and/or thoughts about the Outer Banks 20. It looks like a lobster boat but it is of much lighter construction. It is also designed to use a modest size outboard (25 to 40 HP). I especially like that since fuel will inevitably get more and more expensive.

One reason I am looking at this boat is that my wife's mobility is getting more and more limited.
    So she can't handle being on a small sailboat (which I am already building). Plus she needs some shelter from the sun and rain.

Plus the Outer Banks will allow for limited cruising. Finally' I don't think it will be very expensive to buld.

I also need a boat that is not too heavy so I can launch it from a trailer.

Any comments or advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Alan

Default Re: Outer Banks 20 by B&B yacht designs

Sure is a pretty little thing. It seems to meet your qualifications as well as any boat plans I've seen.

-- Tom (boating blog)

I happen to think that its a lovely boat.

I looked closely at building Marissa by the same designer. If that boat is designed with a similar structure then it will have a framework of stringers, bulkheads and floors that interlock and then get taped. It should be light and strong, but I think it will not be a quick build type of design. I did talk to one guy who is building the ocracoke 20 by the same designer and he has had to work out some details that were not in the plans for himself. I found this to be a bit surprising as I talked with the designer several time while investigating Marissa. If he has a study package for the Outer Banks 20 you should buy it, I bought the study package for Marissa and it was well worth the money as it helped me make a final decision about building to that particular plan.

Cheers
    jerry

The OB 20 is my favorite boat from probably my favorite designer working today. She packs an awful lot into twenty feet and does it with style and functionality. Graham was working on a 22 1/2' version which allowed stand up room in the pilot house as well as a more functional galley. The drawings of that boat are not quite so refined to my eye (but I think the OB 20 is just about perfect looking). Looking at the 22 1/2 eventually led me to Tom Lathrop's Bluejacket series of boats as Tom and Graham have similar ideas about power boat efficiency. (Tom's 25.5 is a knock-out too). I try to remind myself as I ponder my own OB 20 build that part of the attraction of that boat, beyond economy and function, is beauty, and much of that beauty is the result of a beautiful build. I wonder if I would have the courage to put all that brightwork on that boat were I building her.

Thanks for the replies.

I think this one warrants a closer look

alan

It's a nice looking boat. Personally I would not have any fixed seats in it. Instead build portable seats you can move around to give you more deck space. I built one out of plywood that is basically a wood box with padded backrest and an upholstered lid to sit on. I tacked neoprene over 3 inch open-cell foam and a small piece of close-cell foam underneath that. It is totally rain proof so you can store some gear inside and is stable enough it does not fall over when trailering. It really frees up deck space on a cramped boat like this especially if you like to fish. On a center console boat you can push it out of the way so you can stand up and drive. I suppose you could make a hinged hatch on your roof so you could stand up.