Thread: Washington K-D Boat Company, Seattle WA

I have a set of plans for a Washington K-D Boat Company model K28. This is a plank hull fishing boat design from the 1950's. Does anyone have any knowledge about the company and or this particular design. Quent Williams is the designers name that is on the plans. The boat is a forward cabin, pilot house with a fish hold and rear open cockpit. I would guess it was designed for day crabbing or fishing here in the Northwest. The design shows a Universal 40 being used for power. I am not familiar with that engine, but it looks to be a 4 cylinder gas unit. It would be great if anyone has any knowledge about the boat, the company, or the engine to share it with me. Thanks in advance.
    Mike

Default Re: Washington K-D Boat Company, Seattle WA

Dear Mike:
    Its been three years since your post so I hope you receive this.
    The Valdez Museum has the Vessel Perry which is believed to be a
    K.D. boat. Documentation papers lists her as 31.2 feet with Breadth of 8.9, and Depth 4.5. Gross 8 ton, Net 5 ton, She is certified for
    Coastwise Fishery. She was built in 1939 at Perry Island, Prince William Sound, Alaska.

It is possible that the Perry is an extended version of your plans.

Is it possible that the Museum could get a copy of your plans. We would be very happy Pay for them.

Sincerely:

Tom
    E-mail-tomandgloria@gci.net

I would be very happy to send you photos of her.

Looks like an unfinished, unlaunched hull just turned up for sale. She looks so much like my boat, I did some searching and came across this thread.

That boat has been for sale for years. I think it sold once, to the current owner, then sat a while longer, and is now for sale again. I hope she finds someone who will finish the hull and launch her!
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

SHe really does look a lot like Henrietta, maybe a few feet shorter. She'd make a great puget sound boat! Excellent contender for electric power too. She wouldn't take much to get to hull speed, and will handle a pile of batteries just fine. If I didn't already have enough projects, (including the launched in 1942 version of this boat)...

If I didn't already have enough projects
    I need that on a t-shirt.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Well, first you'd need to find a cheap or free vintage silk screen setup that only needs a little bit of work...

Quote Originally Posted by lukes View Post
    Well, first you'd need to find a cheap or free vintage silk screen setup that only needs a little bit of work...
    LOL. Funny that, since I used to be in the printing business once upon a time and a vintage silk screen setup would be second only to a small letterpress on my wish list if I was going to take up yet another avocation. Better that I don't go there I think!
    - Chris

Did I ever mention the treadle operated chandler and price in my basement? Let me know if you ever feel the need to risk your fingers in exchange for properly printed paper goods.

For your shirt business:

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...424907753.html

01717_arawnp4OtIh_600x450.jpg

Enough thread drift for a 17 year old post?

Did I ever mention the treadle operated chandler and price in my basement? Let me know if you ever feel the need to risk your fingers in exchange for properly printed paper goods.
    Very tempting!

Enough thread drift for a 17 year old post?
    Yep
    - Chris

A challenge! I'll drift it further. A friend had a T Shirt silk screening "business" - quotes because it operated when he felt like it. He had a space in a coop building & one day when he was actually doing some shirts he overheard a woman complaining that if they didn't get a circuit board silk screened in a few days, they'd lose a big contract. He looked at it, said "I can do that" & after a couple of tries, he had a board they were hugely happy with.

Long story short, they had him do some more, then other people did & within a year he had 20 employees doing circuit board work for dozens of companies. Best thing was that Jim really had little interest in working - so (why didn't this happen to me?) - another company offered him millions for his company & he took the $ and ran. I haven't talked to him in years, but last I knew he was hiking the Silk Road route from Italy to China - but this was in the late 70's.

OK - back to Seattle wooden boats. Who'd own one of those? Oh right - me...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

why didn't this happen to me?
    I sometimes think the same thing Garret. I have several friends who struck it rich in tech in the 1990s and 2000s while I continue to work for a living. But then, if that had happened, I would not have the life I have now, and I wouldn't trade it for all the tech money that passed me by back then. Of course if someone wants to hand me a golden ticket now I wouldn't say no!

That KD boat hull up in Pt. Angeles would be a fun project. I have a friend with a large piece of property on Vashon Island that would be a perfect place to work on it too. There is even a suitable barn to put it in, although it would need some renovation. I tried to tempt him into going in on it together a few years ago when it was for sale by the previous owner but he has even more projects than I do...
    - Chris