Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steering Oar vs. Rudder

Default Re: Steering Oar vs. Rudder

Quote Originally Posted by Saville View Post
    I want a rudder. I'm just not sure what kind so I'm asking questions and gathering information.
    You are in the right place then

Quote Originally Posted by Saville View Post
    I plan to try it. It doesn't cost much in terms of installation work. And while I fully recognize that the steering oar may not be the way to go, I will have made an informed decision by trying it. I will have learned something.

Also I think it's important to remember that the Marblehead Gunning Dory CAN sail but it's forte is as a rowing boat. I expect to row much more than I will sail. But it's nice to have the capability to sail every so often.

I'm also going to try the quarter rudder (aka steering board). Again just to see. I've thought through a temporary installation.

One of the fun things with a steering oar, if it is designed right, is that it can be used for sculling. A small outrigger and a rowlock is all that it takes. But it does need to be a long oar, 10' or so with a big blade; mine is 4' on a 10' oar.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

On my dory Leeward I had an oarlock for a steering oar as well as the rudder as designed by Gardner. I used the oar when coming through surf and for sculling. Nothing wrong with a steering oar well used. It's just that a rudder than can be locked in any angle is a great asset for rowing in boisterous winds and makes sailing much more restful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    On my dory Leeward I had an oarlock for a steering oar as well as the rudder as designed by Gardner. I used the oar when coming through surf and for sculling. Nothing wrong with a steering oar well used. It's just that a rudder than can be locked in any angle is a great asset for rowing in boisterous winds and makes sailing much more restful.
    Hi Ian,

Roughly where was that oarlock located? How far forward of the sternpost?

How long was your steering oar?

thanks,

I don't recommend the steering oar, but if you want to go there here's a photo of a Dog-Hole Dory on the Albion river in Northern California with the builders aboard.

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    I don't recommend the steering oar, but if you want to go there here's a photo of a Dog-Hole Dory on the Albion river in Northern California with the builders aboard.

What is that fixture that the steering oar is attached too? I tried zooming the photo but I cannot make it out.

thanks!

Looks like a pinned oar lock, common among inland rowboats used for fishing or livery boats rented people with no boating qualifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Looks like a pinned oar lock, common among inland rowboats used for fishing or livery boats rented people with no boating qualifications.
    Yeah I can see the pinned oarlock.

But what is the gray/tan fixture hanging outboard of the gunnel that the oarlock is slid into?