Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Woman Kills Attempted Rapist

Default Woman Kills Attempted Rapist

http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/wom...=cmg_cntnt_rss

A Gwinnett County woman shot and killed a home invasion suspect Wednesday morning after the knife-wielding intruder attacked her in the shower, police said.
    Gwinnett police Cpl. Edwin Ritter told the AJC that the woman, who is in her early 50s, was getting out of the shower when the intruder, who she did not know, turned out the lights and attacked her.

She fell back into the shower, injuring her back, and attempted to fight the man off with the shower rod, Ritter said.

"She was telling him that she has money and please donít hurt her," Ritter said.

"He forced her into her bedroom," Ritter said. "Once inside the bedroom, she retrieved a .22-caliber pistol and shot him several times." Ritter characterized the attack as an attempted sexual assault.

All I can say is good for her, keeping her wits and defending herself.

Default Re: Woman Kills Attempted Rapist

it's an old story really... it won't be reported very widely though... for "some" reason
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

What is there to say, the entire episode sounds horrendously traumatic. I hate to imagine a person that I cared for going through any of it.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    it's an old story really... it won't be reported very widely though... for "some" reason
    Why report an old story?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Why report an old story?
    It happened yesterday. I think he's speaking that the type of story "people using a gun to defend themselves" is old and won't be widely reported.

Why report an old story?
    the incident may be new but the crime is old... you can bet that there are prosecutors who would try to charge the woman for getting soap in the rapist's eyes though... that part is fairly new
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    What is there to say, the entire episode sounds horrendously traumatic. I hate to imagine a person that I cared for going through any of it.
    I can do better than that, Paul... I wish no one would have to put up with it whether I know them or not. The crime is as reliable as weather change and the only thing "we" can do is strangle as many of the rapists as we can... one way or another

you can bet that there are prosecutors who would try to charge the woman for getting soap in the rapist's eyes though...
    Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by boatbuddha View Post
    Not really.
    my own observation

I gots guns but I don't keep em loaded usually. I do have a loaded saber though...prolly pretty hard to swing inside the house though (so I guess its not a saber so much as its a poker)

Phillip,

I don't know why you've got such a bug up your tailpipe about guns. I think most people (not the wacko fringe, but most people) recognize that they are a tool that can be used well or badly... can be used for good or evil... and whose use can have serious - even tragic - consequences.

You and Ish speak as if having the gun, and successfully using it, made it come out alright in the end. As Paul intimates - the tragedy is that the attack occurred at all. The fact that she was able to halt it with bullets won't make the feelings of unsafety go away. She was attacked in her own home. In the shower, no less. How long will it take her to regain her sense of comfort and shelter in her own home? Will she ever? I certainly don't know the woman, and can't speak for her, but I suspect that killing a man won't be forgotten overnight, either. I know several people who've killed someone with a gun. Cops, soldiers, citizens. I've never had to myself, but I know it was traumatic for each of them. One fella I know still wakes up with the screaming sweats from the one time in the Korean War that he had to look an enemy in the eye and shoot him (or perhaps die himself).

So please don't take this woman's tragedy as an excuse to go on a gun rant. And don't minimize the profundity of her experience.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I gots guns but I don't keep em loaded usually. I do have a loaded saber though...prolly pretty hard to swing inside the house though (so I guess its not a saber so much as its a poker)
    What kind of marroon keeps a saber in house except you or I? er, um, ah.... nevermind

Glad this lady was able to defend herself. Wonder what those who support unilateral personal disarmament ( gun control ) have to say?

Quote Originally Posted by perldog007 View Post
    What kind of marroon keeps a saber in house except you or I? er, um, ah.... nevermind

Glad this lady was able to defend herself. Wonder what those who support unilateral personal disarmament ( gun control ) have to say?
    they will say nothing until there is an incident they can turn to their own agenda of social engineering and pastures full of pacified people producing profit for the great and benevolent mother state

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Well everyone likes statistics...Here is one from the Santa Barbara Rape Crisis center... Rape is pretty close to being #1 based on this snipette. I'm sure in some cases, a molester was killed by the use of a gun. I'm sure you can google that...David G. points out the repercussions of such actions well enough.

MYTH: Rape is uncommon.
    REALITY: Rape is the most frequently committed violent crime in the U.S. 1.3 women are raped in the U.S. each minute. This translates to 78 per hour, 1,871 per day, or 683,000 per year(2).
    MYTH: There are many false rape reports. Many women make false rape accusations because they changed their mind after having sex, or in order to get revenge on someone.
    REALITY: False rape reports are very rare and are not more common than for any other felony crime. In reality, sexual assault is the most underreported violent crime in the U.S.(3) 84% of rapes are never reported to the police(4).
    MYTH: Sexual assault is an impulsive crime of passion and lust.
    REALITY: Rape is not sex. Sexual assault uses sex as a weapon to dominate, humiliate, and punish victims. Perpetrators plan most sexual assaults in advance. Sexual violence is not just an individual or relationship problem, but stems from institutional sexism, racism, heterosexism, and other forms of oppression.
    MYTH: Only young, attractive women are sexually assaulted.
    REALITY: Sexual assault is a crime of power and control, not sexual attraction, and perpetrators often choose victims whom they perceive as vulnerable. Sexual assault survivors include people of all ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, races, classes, abilities, styles of dress, education, and employment.
    Continue Reading...

My views admittedly were skewed after witnessing an elderly women who carried a gun to defend herself open fire on the teens across the street, who she thought had tossed an egg at her screen door.

My views admittedly were skewed after witnessing an elderly women who carried a gun to defend herself open fire on the teens across the street, who she thought had tossed an egg at her screen door.
    if that is the only incident you have ever considered then you have my sympathy on your limited understanding of this topic... don't put everyone in that stilted box please

Gee, wouldn't it have better if she had her phone with her in the shower so she could call police? They would only take 10-20 minutes to arrive,she might not have bled out by then after the rapist slit her throat. What about that poor rapist's rights? Seriously though, this will never be widely reported, it doesn't fit the liberal media's idea of a gun story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    Gee, wouldn't it have better if she had her phone with her in the shower so she could call police? They would only take 10-20 minutes to arrive,she might not have bled out by then after the rapist slit her throat. What about that poor rapist's rights? Seriously though, this will never be widely reported, it doesn't fit the liberal media's idea of a gun story.
    understood

if that is the only incident you have ever considered then you have my sympathy on your limited understanding of this topic... don't put everyone in that stilted box please
    How many shootings have you witnessed?

one, directly (unless you count many videos of cops shooting dogs and other people) and a number of others less directly (working with the ambulances of my town... as a fireman)... I have never seen an old lady shooting at egg throwers but I have seen some very stupid things happen... my imagination still works pretty good too

I admire her strength, her ability to continue to think coherently while in a terrible situation. Bravo!

A lady I knew (former nurse) was attacked/raped in her apartment, with police reportedly unable to catch the guy - and in his deluded state, he then considered her his girlfriend. Police didn't take her seriously, so she bought a handgun, already knew how to shoot. When he returned and started breaking down her locked door, she shot him - through the door. Just knocked a lil' hide off his skull where she grazed him. Police were then able to identify him (in the ER), and charge him. Shouldn't be that difficult, should it?

I don't keep a loaded gun, but I do keep a loaded Louisville Slugger (kids edition) in my bedroom. It's about 26" or so, very handy in close situations. Haven't had to bunt yet, though.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

It is a mystery to me why more women do not keep guns for self defense, especially given SVA's statistics.
    Similarly why more Jews do not either, given the story of the Warsaw Ghetto.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    I admire her strength, her ability to continue to think coherently while in a terrible situation. Bravo!

A lady I knew (former nurse) was attacked/raped in her apartment, with police reportedly unable to catch the guy - and in his deluded state, he then considered her his girlfriend. Police didn't take her seriously, so she bought a handgun, already knew how to shoot. When he returned and started breaking down her locked door, she shot him - through the door. Just knocked a lil' hide off his skull where she grazed him. Police were then able to identify him (in the ER), and charge him. Shouldn't be that difficult, should it?

I don't keep a loaded gun, but I do keep a loaded Louisville Slugger (kids edition) in my bedroom. It's about 26" or so, very handy in close situations. Haven't had to bunt yet, though.
    just remember to keep the label up

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    What do you mean by "widely reported" and why should it be.
    In my town we had agun killing about a year ago. A bunch of teenagers were playing with a gun and one of them accidentally ended up dead from a bullet wound. Did you hear about it? Of course not. It was only of local importance. And besides, Wayne La Pierre wouldn't like it. And Wayne gets his way more often than not.
    Last edited by Cuyahoga Chuck; 05-12-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Loser! Get with the times yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuyahoga Chuck View Post
    What do you mean by "widely reported" and why should it be.
    In my town we had agun killing about a year ago. A bunch of teenagers were playing with a gun and one of them accidentally ended up dead from a bullet wound. Did you hear about it? Of course not. It was only of local importance. And besides, Wayne La Pierre wouldn't like it.
    I know there are differences but I'd like your take on why the Tucson shooting and this rape shooting got different billing. just assume I'm as stupid as I am often accused of being

Yeah, you're right, that's pretty much everybody who keeps self defense tools. Good critical thinking there.

In Dans defense - our views are very much formed by personal experience. If yours is primarily responsible folk, well trained, behaving responsibly, perceptions tend to be favorable. If primarily yahoos behaving very badly - not so much. I've had the misfortune of seeing some pretty nasty stuff; and my situation doesn't call for that greater level of personal defense. Besides, I like to get to know people, and 'slugger' enables that.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

In Dans defense - our views are very much formed by personal experience. If yours is primarily responsible folk, well trained, behaving responsibly, perceptions tend to be favorable. If primarily yahoos behaving very badly - not so much. I've had the misfortune of seeing some pretty nasty stuff; and my situation doesn't call for that greater level of personal defense. Besides, I like to get to know people, and 'slugger' enables that.
    I agree...any killin worth doin is worth getting up close and personal with

Yeah, you're right, that's pretty much everybody who keeps self defense tools. Good critical thinking there.
    It was only an anecdote, but in my experience, a large percentage of those who keep self-defense tools are criminals. Or maybe self-defense tools are essential to many criminal activities. Some non-criminals also carry weapons, of course. The incident was an unstable non-criminal imagining she was defending herself--and changes in gun laws have made this more likely than it was in the past. This thread started with an incident of a woman defending herself with a weapon at hand. I don't see how anyone could argue with that.

It was only an anecdote, but in my experience, a large percentage of those who keep self-defense tools are criminals. Or maybe self-defense tools are essential to many criminal activities. Some non-criminals also carry weapons, of course. The incident was an unstable non-criminal imagining she was defending herself--and changes in gun laws have made this more likely than it was in the past. This thread started with an incident of a woman defending herself with a weapon at hand. I don't see how anyone could argue with that.
    my personal experience does not include any known criminals...where do you hang out?!

anyway, Dan, I really wasn't trying to attack...sorry

my personal experience does not include any known criminals...where do you hang out?!
    I live in a large city with a high crime rate.

I guess we got em too but they're not obvious ... I lock up at night

It seems that any gun thread always edges toward the question of letting the public pack anywhere and everywhere. I doubt there is any juristiction where killing a felonious intruder in your home is punishable.
    Where I was brought up you could fill your home with guns if you could afford them. But if you got caught carrying a concealed handgun without some justification you were looking at jail time and or a big fine.

A Sheriff's Deputy who never met any criminals?
    For those who've come across the seas
    We've boundless plains to share;

I refer you to the reply given in the matter of Arkell v. Pressdram.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuyahoga Chuck View Post
    It seems that any gun thread always edges toward the question of letting the public pack anywhere and everywhere. I doubt there is any juristiction where killing a felonious intruder in your home is punishable.
    Where I was brought up you could fill your home with guns if you could afford them. But if you got caught carrying a concealed handgun without some justification you were looking at jail time and or a big fine.
    That was the situation in Michigan for years. The change was pushed through about 10 years ago when Detroit Mayor Coleman Young formed an odd coalition with a rather right-wing Republican state senator to promote the "shall carry" concept. Young's position was that handgun laws discriminated against inner-city residents who often were illegally armed. The right-wing position also was self-defense. The Republican sponsor ended up thrown out of office after several assault charges, but the bill passed. The new bill doesn't seem to have had any affect either on the crime rate or handgun violations.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    It is a mystery to me why more women do not keep guns for self defense, especially given SVA's statistics.
    Similarly why more Jews do not either, given the story of the Warsaw Ghetto.
    It is my understanding that Hillary Clinton carries and has a Federal CCL that includes all state and Federal Buildings.
    NDNs have higher IQs*

*indian quotients.

Lost count many years ago.
    NDNs have higher IQs*

*indian quotients.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseKenyon View Post
    It is my understanding that Hillary Clinton carries and has a Federal CCL that includes all state and Federal Buildings.
    Which prooves what?

Quote Originally Posted by stevebaby View Post
    over 40 years ago and all...ALL of them were unarmed in the jail (except me)

over 40 years ago and all...ALL of them were unarmed in the jail (except me)
    deputy or a jailor?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

That was the situation in Michigan for years. The change was pushed through about 10 years ago when Detroit Mayor Coleman Young formed an odd coalition with a rather right-wing Republican state senator to promote the "shall carry" concept. Young's position was that handgun laws discriminated against inner-city residents who often were illegally armed. The right-wing position also was self-defense. The Republican sponsor ended up thrown out of office after several assault charges, but the bill passed. The new bill doesn't seem to have had any affect either on the crime rate or handgun violations.
    note just who brought the concealed carry argument to the thread...the very guy complaining about it... is that honest?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    deputy or a jailor?
    radioman/jailor/deputy/coffee maker

Quote Originally Posted by stevebaby View Post
    BTW... the bailiff is more likely to meet known criminals than the patrol deputies...think about it

Paul... there isn't any difference. maybe there is in Alabama but the difference here is in assignment only (at least it was 40 years ago... is this the beginning of another attack tangent?).
    additionally, the deputy on patrol usually only saw someone's silver heels and it was state and city boys who brought em in

BTW... the bailiff is more likely to meet known criminals than the patrol deputies...think about it
    Bailiffs have a very different function in the Australian legal system. Bailiffs here are mostly concerned with civil matters and would only occasionally encounter criminals as part of their duties.
    Sheriffs have a different function here too, mostly Court security and seizing goods to satisfy debts.
    For those who've come across the seas
    We've boundless plains to share;

I refer you to the reply given in the matter of Arkell v. Pressdram.

radioman/jailor/deputy/coffee maker
    So, as a jailor, you didn't meet criminals? Just who the hell did you lock up?
    Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Too bad she didn't have the gun in the shower with her. Then she might not have hurt her back.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Too bad she didn't have the gun in the shower with her. Then she might not have hurt her back.
    Good idea! Most arms manufacturers recommend firing their self defense tools with water in the barrel! Brilliant!