Thread: Folkboat rigging and sail set up..

Question

Hi all I've recently acquired an oldish wooden Folkboat (Germany 1962). I would be greatful if anybody could direct me to any information regarding the rigging, sail set up, etc It is in very good condition, and now I've done all the teak and varnishing it's ready for launching I just need to be sure of the mast setup etc.. with thanks .

Here's a start Pdf of the class rules

[ 06-17-2005, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: P.I. Stazzer-Newt ]

Got any specific questions?

Get " The Folkboat Story". By Dieter Loibner. Sheridan House.

Fractional rig, enough tension in the backstay for a slight rake as per design, set mast bend as smooth and desirable.

Originally posted by teakoil:
    ...and now I've done all the teak and varnishing
    ??

If it is a boat built according the class rules it shouldn't have any teak (Folkboats are like the Volkswagon - cheap simple vessels) and then... you didn't varnish the teak, did you?

Hi sorry for the delay in repling, no I have not varnished the deck which is fully swept laid teak (I've oiled it with teak oil/rags! phew!).
    If I give you a little more information maybe it will help. It is carvel built , deck stepped wooden mast (aluminium boom?) , it has an auxilliary engine fitted (date unknown) it appears to be a WaterMota (uk) single cylinder petrol with reduction box fitted and reversing feathering two bladed propellor.There are no identifing marks on any part of the boat ,but someone who knew of it some years ago (a lot?)knew it as The GRIPPEN ? . ps it also has a head fitted in the fore cabin.
    Other "items" that seem rare on Folkboats are a hatch on the after deck, self draining cockpit
    and two winches operated by ratchet handle fitted on the winch base?

Thank you all for your help and suggestion so far , YMT I have a copy of that book but none of the pictures /designs are the same as this? could the German make be a little different from the "standard" Folkie?...From what I can ascertain the German versions were slightly less detailed than Scandanavian built ones.Does the mast have to have a bend I dont really intend to race it (scarrfed mast ?).Would it be possible to put in a topping lift? the present set up is a scissors boom support...PS its number is FB288?

As far as I can see there have been a lot of changes on the boat (selfdraining cockpit, inboard engine) so you won't be able to sail in a regatta.

Of course a selfdraining cockpit makes sense on your coast, esspecially when you don't intend to race.

German built Folke have to fulfill the same regulations as danish ones, but each boatyard builds them a bit different.

Do you have a real Folkbåt mast (the one with a guide-rail in the mast and with the little overhang on top)?

North Sails sweden have a good tuning guide for the IF ( aluminium mast) IF trim guide

Topping lift : yes, absolutely. Difficult to hoist the main single hand without.

Mast Bend : Racing or no, a very very smooth bend will result from proper rig tension. 3/4 or 7/8 fractional?

""Other "items" that seem rare on Folkboats are .. self draining cockpit and two winches operated by ratchet handle fitted on the winch base?""

I have those also, mine are (magnesium(?)) bronze, very old. Plus self draining cockpit, toerails have no scuppers.

[ 06-23-2005, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: popeye ]

More comments on tuning a wood mast wood mast guide

Carol Hasse, sail maker in Port Townsend WA, has a gorgeous Folk Boat and would be a good source of into.
    JMG

At http://www.fky.org/prestodata/search...h&language=eng you found a complete register of all registered german folkboats up to 1970. Just search at "class" for "folke".

But I do not think it's a nordic folkboat! It sounds more like a "BM family" from the danish Brandt-Moeller Yard. Look at http://www.divaroyal.com/index.php/id/4/new_lang/en

The BM-family looks like a folkboat, but it has a mast stepped on the deck and a selfdraining cockpit. An an inboard motor.

A good decription of how to trim a folkeboat can be found at
    1) http://www.haase-segel.de/haase-sege...rimmtipps.html

2) http://www.folkeboot.at/folkeboot.kb...waltermuhs.pdf

3) http://www.folkeboot.at/folkeboot.kb...northsails.pdf

(sorry, all german - but maybe better than a danish side

Thank you all for your help it's been very useful.

Teak oil; Did you get any help locally, there used to be lots of Folkboats in the Irish Sea. Inboard engines are not rare. Self draining cockpits were relatively rare. Good luck with your boat.