Well, I finally decided to start posting my restoration project. She is a 34' Stephens Bros. trunk cabin cruiser, one of seven built in 1929. We have located 4 of the seven (three here in the bay area, and one in Maine).
Her name is Makoto, which means "Sincerity" in Japanese. She was formerly Woodrow. We bought her in early 2009 up in the Seattle area and shipped her down to the SF Bay area. SHe is currently berthed at the Petaluma Marina, next to her sister ship Killara.
Here is a pic on the San Joaquin River last summer.
She has some substantial hull issues that we are scheduled to deal with this summer. However, while waiting and saving for that, I have been slowly rebuilding much of the interior.
Over 83 years, the interior had suffered many "improvements". Bulkheads constructed using 2x4's and shop ply, cabinets that didn't fit right, and an antique electrical system with fuses scattered hither and yon.
My first project was to rebuild a side cabinet and the aft cabin bulkheads. I did these bulkheads using Mahogany with Hydrotek panels. I am using mahogany and Sapelke for all of the painted lumber, and teak for all of the bright parts. I'll post pictures soon.
Recently, I have been restoring the head. The head was basically a 'LectraSan toilet in the forward V cabin. It was mounted to the floor, so, not only was using it a little like sitting on a camp potty, the bowl extended right into the companionway. You can see this in the picture below.
I created some bulkheads (formed to fit the complex hull shape), and made a mahogany platform to raise the toilet and allow it to be moved outwards, out of the companionway. Here are some "before" pictures. I'll post "after" pictures later today.
This last picture shows the sort of thing I have found a lot of... Here the original straight toilet outlet has been made into a right angle by adding hoses and an elbow. This meant extra size, extra (leaky) joints, etc...Raritan sells a 90 degree outlet that I installed in about 5 (stinky) minutes. This reduced the rearward size of the assembly by about 3 inches, and allowed me to move the whole assembly outward, to make more room. I'll post pics later showing this.
I an now enduring the process documented so well in Tom Freeman's thread on Peaceful. Stripping, sanding and painting.. The head side of the main bulkhead must have been painted with latex. Using a heat gun, it stripped off in large sheets. It was especially nasty down on the side of the toilet..nothing quite like the smell of ancient urine cooking under the heat gun...
I'll continue to post pics as she comes together.