Thread: Harkers Island Skiff

Default Harkers Island Skiff

Would anyone know where I could find plans for a skiff like the one for sale here, http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...kiff-97914636? The lines look really simple and should be easy for a first time builder like me.

Thanks,

-Will

Default Re: Harkers Island Skiff

Will,

That link doesn't take us to the boat. Try again?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I don't know how the url got mangled, but I'll try again. If this doesn't work, you can go to boattrader.com and search on "Harkers Island Skiff".

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...Skiff-97914636

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Here's a link to the Duckworks index of boat designs. I linked to "Skiffs" - you can pick your own length, 16 foot or whatever you desire:

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/r/p...dex/skiffs.htm

Or... you can check out the selection of nifty designs from Atkin:

http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/index.html

For instance -- "George"

http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/George.html

Or, if you want something a bit more modern looking, Mark Bowdidge offers some interesting boats:

http://bowdidgemarinedesigns.com/Bow...oat_Plans.html

For instance - the "Sandy Strait 14"

http://bowdidgemarinedesigns.com/Bow...Strait_14.html

Another designer that might work for you is Sam Devlin:

http://store.devlinboat.com/dinghiesandskiffs.aspx

Maybe the Grayling 13 or the Candlefish 16?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Will,
    Take a look here. http://www.ncmaritimemuseum.com/boat-building.html I've used one of these plans. No instructions but designs are from the neighborhood.
    Simmons18

Quote Originally Posted by williv View Post
    I don't know how the url got mangled, but I'll try again. If this doesn't work, you can go to boattrader.com and search on "Harkers Island Skiff".

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...Skiff-97914636
    Each and every one of those boats were built without any plans. That particular boat is top shelf, brand new motor too and has probably a half dozen hours tops. I would surely take a look at that boat. The materials including the trailer built and rigged out like that boat will run close to 5 grand. Its at a boat and marine engine dealer and ready to hit the water without a single miss of a beat.

What Erster said...
    However if you are itching to build one. This plan will get you real close http://www.ncmaritimemuseum.com/w7-746.html.

There is one these down river from me (Athens NY) that a guy says he built from those same plans. He used 3/4 AC plywood for the bottom and motor well and 1/2" AC for the sides. It looks damn good for a work boat and is surprisingly fast with a 9.9 Yamaha and two men in it.

If you don't want the motor in the boat with you, you can change the transom angle to accept the outboard.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Another designer that might work for you is Sam Devlin:

http://store.devlinboat.com/dinghiesandskiffs.aspx

Maybe the Grayling 13 or the Candlefish 16?
    Kits are available for both of those boats.

Thanks for the links guys. While I liked some of the other designs, I think I'm "stuck" on the style of the HI skiff. I did look at one that's for sale on Harkers Island a couple of weeks ago which is when I got the itch to try and build one myself. That boat, like all other skiffs of that style that I've seen, are planked with juniper, but I would probably use plywood. Next time I'm down there I'll snap some pictures of the one for sale, if it's still there. Maybe I can have a chat with the builder as well.

-Will

Thanks for the links guys. While I liked some of the other designs, I think I'm "stuck" on the style of the HI skiff. I did look at one that's for sale on Harkers Island a couple of weeks ago which is when I got the itch to try and build one myself. That boat, like all other skiffs of that style that I've seen, are planked with juniper, but I would probably use plywood. Next time I'm down there I'll snap some pictures of the one for sale, if it's still there. Maybe I can have a chat with the builder as well.

-Will
    The boat is now in Alliance at Mobile East Marine as of this weekend. The owner has sadly taken ill and has placed the boat there for sale. Having the boat built strip planked and glassed is surely not a big issue at all. But if you want to reproduce that style boat, the easiest way is to wonder around the Harkers Island region and points east and northeast and pick up one in someones backyard and pattern the parts from the aged out boat. Its not rocket science and would only take about three to four hours to cut the parts out. Folks build those types of boats on a weekend in cedar planks in the rough. A plywood hull is only a skillsaw and a couple sheets of luan for patterns away.

It looks an awful lot like this one to me:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/att...ler-img003.jpg

Attachment 1487

It's called the 'Chessey Skiff" .The plan is from some 1950's magazine and it pops up on Ebay all the time. DN Goodchild also sells it, as their item #5038--BUILD CHESSY (http://dngoodchild.com/divide_for_small_craft.htm ) but their website says that they're closed until mid-May
    Last edited by BrianY; 05-02-2011 at 08:48 AM.
    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

I ordered the plan from the Maritime Museum that Rich pointed me to as it looks the closest to what I've seen. I'll also wander around Harkers, Straits, and Marshallberg in a couple of weeks and see what I can find. Thanks for the advice!

I ordered the plan from the Maritime Museum that Rich pointed me to as it looks the closest to what I've seen. I'll also wander around Harkers, Straits, and Marshallberg in a couple of weeks and see what I can find. Thanks for the advice!
    As Simmons18 mentioned above there are no instructions with the plans. If it becomes more hassle to figure out than it is worth to you, another other good candidate IMO would be the Lumberyard Skiff from Old Wharf Dory. It is based on the Brockway Skiff but with a straight(er) bottom much like the Harkers Island skiff. http://www.oldwharf.com/ow_workskiffs.html He sells the plans on another page.

I love, love love those skiffs. There are lots of people on the forum who are interested in this build. I hope you will post photos.

This is a genuine Harkers Island skiff used for commercial net fishing with the well setup. Most folks are gotten away from the wells. But the boat's transom angle and well just makes the boat "right" IMO.

This shows the sheer and profile while on the water.

Last edited by erster; 05-07-2011 at 04:54 PM.

I like well boats too, and that's a pretty one!

That is a very pretty skiff , Thanks Mike for posting the pics!

BTW I stopped in Athens NY yesterday morning and tried to get a photo of that skiff built from the museum plan that I mentioned earlier. Unfortunately the boat is no longer there. I ordered myself a copy of the skiff plan from the museum last night. I have 6 sheets of 3/4" abx plywood I squirreled away for a future utility skiff project. This might be a better use for them.

The plans arrived a couple hours ago.

The boat is 17' LOD , Waterline length is 15'6" +/- . Bottom width is 5' 4" finished. Minimum freeboard is 21". Stem height is 35" +/-. The motor well is 40" long by 19" inside width (plans call out for a long shaft motor). Working deck area from motor well bulkhead to foreward bulkhead is 9' +/-. Plans call out for either 7/8" Juniper or 3/4 inch plywood for bottom, decks and sides. Scantling call outs are mostly 7/8 x 3 juniper or better, Frames are 3 1/2 x 7/8.

First thing I notice is that the sheer pinches in at the stem because of the nearly plumb stem. My experience is 3/4" plywood doesn't like to twist in a short span so I would extend the rake of the stem about another 5" or so (It appears that was done on the skiff Erster posted photos of) I count 8 sheets of 4x8 plywood to build. The plan is on a 24 x 36 blueprint 1" scale. IMO it includes plenty of information to build the boat. What it doesn't tell you is how to set-up a building jig.

My wife peeked at the plans before I got home. She loves it,wants it and has officially lifted her boat building moratorium ( It probably helped that I sold my other two skiffs this spring). I'll make a few minor changes and build a model soon. I'll probably build the boat this fall or next spring.

I really like the lines of that skiff erster.

Here's my skiff...

Pretty skiff moe.. Rick keep in mind if you rake the stem more with the same running length on the bottom, this removes some of the flare thats in the boat and in turn also creates a more pointed skiff overall like Moe's. With the low freeboard, those boats need as much flare as possible.

I received my plans this week too and started on a model last night. From what I've gathered, these boats were built without a jig. I found this web site of a Hatteras charter capt and his son's skiff build, http://www.godspeedcharters.com/Oute...shing/2010/10/. I'm going to try and build the model following their method.

BTW, very pretty skiff Moe.

I built one in a class taught at CTC in Morehead City about 1978. There were no plans. I was told how many ribs to cut and how long they should be and the width of the spreader board and stern board. Cutting the tapering stem on a band saw trying to follow the pencil line on top and the one on the bottom of the 4x6 was a challenge. The sides are near vertical so you can brace you knees while pulling in a mullet net. Since my boat was for pleasure, the instructors (Keith xxxx and Frank More, I think) said I could push the sides out further for a prettier look. Seems like I raised the shear on the bow too. 25hp pushed her along just fine.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The study of history is a powerful antidote to contemporary arrogance.

This is the inboard version with an air cooled Kohler engine. Of course stick steering is standard equipment.

I received my plans this week too and started on a model last night. From what I've gathered, these boats were built without a jig. I found this web site of a Hatteras charter capt and his son's skiff build, http://www.godspeedcharters.com/Oute...shing/2010/10/. I'm going to try and build the model following their method.

BTW, very pretty skiff Moe.
    Many of the smaller hulls can be built on sawhorses in the beginning. The sides are layed flat and framed and then bent around two stiffeners connecting the stem and transom while upside down. Then the bottom is planked. This is basically a three day build after you get the wood cleaned up. Using flitch cuts, which was standard fare, the sheer is created naturally too.

If the bow is stiff, then just use a spanish windless to assist bringing the bow in place against the precut stem. In most cases the stems are created and then the we use a false stem over the end grains.

Quote Originally Posted by erster View Post
    Pretty skiff moe.. Rick keep in mind if you rake the stem more with the same running length on the bottom, this removes some of the flare thats in the boat and in turn also creates a more pointed skiff overall like Moe's. With the low freeboard, those boats need as much flare as possible.
    Thanks for bringing that up Mike, I had that issue on a skiff I once built, wet as hell in a chop. This plan doesn't have much of that "Carolina Flare" that you might expect from a boat native to that area. Here is a clip of the plan along with my red line raking out the stem while adding a little more flare at the same time

Straight sides, vertically speaking, was important for a working skiff. Of course there are numerous flare styles for sure. This shows what is done in the bow with an almost plumb stem on some of the local boats, tapering aft the a more vertical shape.

Does the plans have any side angles showing?

Quote Originally Posted by erster View Post
    Does the plans have any side angles showing?
    Here is what is on the plan Mike

[IMG][/IMG]

Just some thoughts. I love a workboat style skiff. I don't know why you'd want to put the motor in a well, though. The room that you sacrifice in the stern area is the smoothest place to ride.
    I don't like much flair in the sides, either. Sure it looks good from outside, but if you can't face the gunwhales with your feet in front of you, or brace your leg against it, it gets very uncomfortable.
    I built a little skiff similar to the one shown in #22 a few years ago. If I had it to do over again, I'd put less flair in the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiebou View Post
    Just some thoughts. I love a workboat style skiff. I don't know why you'd want to put the motor in a well, though. The room that you sacrifice in the stern area is the smoothest place to ride.
    I don't like much flair in the sides, either. Sure it looks good from outside, but if you can't face the gunwhales with your feet in front of you, or brace your leg against it, it gets very uncomfortable.
    I built a little skiff similar to the one shown in #22 a few years ago. If I had it to do over again, I'd put less flair in the sides.
    The original intent was to allow nets to be placed overboard without obstruction from an outboard. If you also notice, the engine is quite a bit foward of what is truely needed for the engine cowling and block area. In most cases commercial watermen place a platform behind the engine and lay the nets on them and then lay them overboard. This also allows an easy take in too. The extreme transom angle also does double duty. This keeps a trimed up motor inside which is needed in shallow waters too and also helps in sea worthiness in some of the open bays when they are crossing them in a down sea or quartering sea angle.

The side angle can also be altered when building for pleasure and when adding some side angle the rake of the stem becomes less of a factor. The changes should begin at least at the widest bottom beam. In a 16 foot skiff, four to five degrees is about max without creating a real issue foward in regards to the compound twist thats generate when drawing the sides into the bottom with the side angle that you choose.

The only thing to consider is to make sure the inner stem is cut a bit longer. Some of the old timers that built in dirt used to drive the stems in the ground as one of its jig members along with two spreaders. Then they fliped the boat over after the hull was planked and cut the extra off.

The Maritime museum must be doing pretty good this week, I ordered & received a set of plans also after seeing them here on this thread. It looks to me that the motor support is drawn at 18" for a shorter shaft motor than the one shown, & I may rake the actual transom a few more degrees & add an extra station between # 6 & 7, stretching it 18", pretty simple on a planing hull like this.

It would be interesting to see several people build the skiff and compare versions . I spent some time over the weekend tweaking the length and sheer height on paper, then entered the offsets in Hulls to develop panels for a 1/4 scale model. I'll stitch it up in the next week or so and post a pic.
    It will be an outdoor build. I'll make up all the pieces over the winter and build it next spring.

Since it won't be built on Harkers Island, I guess it can't be called a Harkers Island Skiff. I looked at my chartbook and the 3 closest islands to me on the Mohawk River is named Goat , Hog and Dredge Spoils, Goat Island Skiff and Hog Island Skiff is already taken. So I'll call mine a "Spoils Island Skiff" . That should keep the expectation low
    Last edited by RichKrough; 05-17-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Since dredge spoils are rotting material, why not call her "Spoiled Rotten"

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

While I'm waiting for the rain to stop, Here are the plywood panels I came up with. I played with the flare, decreasing it at the transom while increasing a little around the center to straighten out the top edge of the panel. As shown it is within 1/2" of having a straight sheer plank.

The OA length has been increased to 18' ,hull depth increased by 6" to 28", stem height is 41". (I'm chicken, I like a high sided boat)

The bottom length was increased 6" from station 5 forward (1" per station) . The bottom width is unchanged , OA width would be about 79-80" with rub rails.

Last edited by RichKrough; 05-17-2011 at 10:48 AM.

Working from the original skiff plan I knew that it being a work boat it would have a lot of bouyancy in the forward area to accommodate the weight of a net full of fish. For a lightly loaded recreation boat it would tend to ride with it's bow too high in the water for my liking. When I extended the boat to 18' I lengthened and slimmed the entry. I also narrowed the midsection a little by shifting the widest part of the hull and the center of buoyancy a little farther aft to about 30" forward of the motor well. When the hole for the motor well is taken into account( the software can't do it) the actual center of buoyancy(trim) ended up being about 36-38" forward of the motor well

Last night I took some time to make a 1/4 scale model of the skiff with my changes using 5mm luan. I assembled it using hot glue, a 1/4" crown air stapler and painters caulk . The panels cut from the takeoffs went together perfectly. During assembly as I bent the plywood around the 1st and third bulkheads the plywood wanted to be about 1/2" (two inches full scale) narrower at bulkhead 2. I went ahead an built it without changing the bulkhead. (Later I went back into the software and sampled the change, It would shift the center of buoyancy 3/4" aft. Not much to gain while giving up deck space. I'll leave it alone.)

I painted the model with CWP (cheap white paint) and left it overnight.

This evening after dinner I sneaked into my wife's swim spa to use as a test tank.

The 1/4 scale weight of the boat at 1200lbs is about 1/60. I placed a 5 lb weight over the motor mount area to simulate the weight of a 25hp outboard, battery and fuel tank of approx 300 lbs. Forward of that I placed a 3lb weight to simulate a 180# operator and then later added enough weight at the forward bulkhead to simulate passenger loads from 180-480 lbs

The trim is pretty much where I expected it to be. with the weight of the motor and operator at the tiller the bow is just barely in the water.

[

With 3 passengers and operator (800 lbs)it should look something like this.

Using the swim jets on high I can simulate water moving rapidly along the hull. The model didn't do anything weird and water didn't come over the bow so I guess it's ok. It would have been a more interesting presentation if I had a movie function on my camera.

Last edited by RichKrough; 05-22-2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: corrected my math

Profile view. BTW The sheer line as noted in a previous post is 6" (1.5" scale) higher than the original skiff plan

[IMG][/IMG]

There is an article in The Rudder, Vol. 38 , pg. 20 about a 16' tunnel hull crab skiff...interesting and is found here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Krc...page&q&f=false

found this thanks to "Driver Mark" post is here:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...n-google-books

JHP

I finally made it to the coast last weekend and tracked down a local traditional boat builder in Marshallberg, Jimmy Amspacher. He had a model of exactly what I'm for and said he could build that boat in most any length. I asked him about fiberglassing the outside and he's not a proponent, but would be willing to fiberglass the bottom to the water line. I also found a just completed 16' skiff on Harkers Island for $2000, but I still think I want to build the boat myself. I'm including a link to the pics of Jimmy's model and the skiff on Harkers because I don't have time to resize them right now.

http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/...-07-25_217.jpg

Steve Martinsen

Thanks Steve. Feel free to upload the rest of the pics in that album.]

-Will

that finished skiff is a pretty boat. for $2k that would be hard to drive away from.

I vote you should get one like that with a motor well at about 20' loa with a bit of rake to the transom.

that would be a sweet boat.

Jerry

Here's one available on Harkers Island:

http://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/2442226633.html

I just bought a 16' harkers island skiff built in the early 50s, in rough condition. the boat will be in morehead, and I am looking for someone to help me with restoring it - i dont have as much time as I'd like. i want to restore it to its original glory, yet with some modifications that are more current, but looks as if they were original. for example, rather than using an inboard (as the original owner did - there is an existing, shallow tunnel), I need to modify the stern for an outboard. so, my question is, can someone point me in the direction of a craftsman, with woodworking and boat restoration experience, that either does this for a living, or would be interested in doing this on the side? Thank you for any thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
    I just bought a 16' harkers island skiff built in the early 50s, in rough condition. the boat will be in morehead, and I am looking for someone to help me with restoring it - i dont have as much time as I'd like. i want to restore it to its original glory, yet with some modifications that are more current, but looks as if they were original. for example, rather than using an inboard (as the original owner did - there is an existing, shallow tunnel), I need to modify the stern for an outboard. so, my question is, can someone point me in the direction of a craftsman, with woodworking and boat restoration experience, that either does this for a living, or would be interested in doing this on the side? Thank you for any thoughts.
    Frankly you don't buy a boat like this and spend the amount of money having someone else to do this upgrade and work that is required to do this conversion with good reasoning at the top of the thought process. If you can't do the work, its quite possible that you could get a new hull built cheaper from some of the few guys thats left on the island. But anyway
    Contact this guy. He has a listing on CraigsList right now.

http://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/2787177761.html

boat repair i worked with my father for years at his shop in jarretbay park he owns chadwick boatworks and im lookin to do some boat repair
    it wont cost much because i will do all the work myself and i have all the tools needed in his shop to get the work done right i have center console molds if
    u want one made i can gel coat if u need anything done shoot me a email and we will talk about prices/time needed names jamie chadwick
    Jamie Lewis is in Harkers island and has a son and brother that are multiple generational wood workers in that area too. Go down that way and ask the local fishing tackle store how to get to his shed. Those two are none better right now for what you are wanting to do.
    If the skiff that you purchased is the straight side, then you can convert it easily to a transom setup and not affect the looks that much. If its a true flared-tunnel skiff, converting that to a conventional transom will destroy the looks, IMO> Post a photo of the boat for the sake of this thread.
    Last edited by erster; 01-10-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiebou View Post
    I admit to not being entirely sold on motor wells initially, until I fished one. I found that I was able to fish 360 deg around it at all times, handle large fish that like to circle without fear of the skeg/prop of the motor cutting my line. Again, while drift fishing on windier days where the boat may not track exactly as you need it to, the stern becomes an uncluttered platform. I have even been known to sit atop the motor (the upper cover on mine is metal) itself as a rather comfortable perch at times.

Last, but not least, when you are out on the water and nature calls, a somewhat secluded escape in which to drain one's bilge through the well obscured by the motor from the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by pipefitter View Post
    I admit to not being entirely sold on motor wells initially, until I fished one. I found that I was able to fish 360 deg around it at all times, handle large fish that like to circle without fear of the skeg/prop of the motor cutting my line. Again, while drift fishing on windier days where the boat may not track exactly as you need it to, the stern becomes an uncluttered platform. I have even been known to sit atop the motor (the upper cover on mine is metal) itself as a rather comfortable perch at times.

Last, but not least, when you are out on the water and nature calls, a somewhat secluded escape in which to drain one's bilge through the well obscured by the motor from the public eye.
    Now you have gone and disclosed why you never saw a motor in Popsicle's motor well. I use to tell the guests when they were contemplating going for a day trip that we had seperate heads for both species.