Thread: 45 ft, 1973 Heisler Schooner

I'm looking at a 1973 45 ft. Heisler Schooner. She was built in Nova Scotia. Her name is Sebim. Anybody kbow anything about the builder Heisler or the boat itself?

Dale;
    Sebim is well known around here.She has won her share of local and international schooner races and is reputed to be fast.She was the nemasis of the noted builder David Stevens and his Kathy Ann.
    The Heislers are in Chester and although no longer building the yard still exists.Ben Heisler was a noted local builder.
    Sorry I can't be of more help.

Earl

Ben Heisler's boats have near-mythical status 'round here. That Sebim was "sold away" from Nova Scotia is still actively mourned in some quarters. Heisler boats were built with finest traditional craftsmanship and best of materials. Sebim has been away from us long ebough that I can't attest to her present condition, but I can vouch for her pedigree and her racing record. She was scratch boat for many years in the Nova Scotia Schooner Association ( NSSA), a title she regularly contested with David Stevens' Kathy Ann II. If she has been kept sound and trim, she should be a joy to sail.

Hi Dale,

She's right in your neck of the woods. I couldn't tell from the pictures just how bad the damage was, but she sure is pretty!

Good luck,

Noah

I have a '76 43' heisler schooner. Originally "Kalibar". She is a knockabout but was intended to have a sprit. Owner's wife apparently didn't want the sprit. Her lines are beautful and full, definately a "baby bluenose". Her construction was typical "Novi" pine over steam bent oak with galvi nails "clinched" over. The frames are wide & thin with close centers - almost canoe like.

I'll post a picture when I figure out how.

Haven't figured out how to post from a Mac homepage but here is the address of the homepage "boat const" pictures:
    '76 Heisler schooner

Plan on dropping it in the water this spring!

Living a beautiful life... FREE FREE AT LAST!!

Geeeeez flamin eck Jon shes a beauty!

mmmmm just somethin about schooners that turn a fellas head eh

My friend has recently aquired the 57' Heisler schooner "William Moir". Do any of you know of this boat? He'd like to learn more about it. Especially interested in any pics of her racing or sailing in the past....

The William Moir was in the fleet of the Nova Scotia Schooner Association. If your friend contacts them you may be able to get first-hand info from some of the members. Go to NSSA for contact info.

Noah et al, I had a look at her today. She is in the water at the marina where you had your Hinckley hauled into the truck at. The fire was in the engine area and spread toward the port side. The actual fire damage it not that bad. From the outside you would never know it happened, other than the sooty footprints in the cockpit. She is in excellent condition, you could probably sail her as she is. Below it looks worse than it really is, lots of black soot everywhere, but not all that much real damage. Someone will have to repace most of the woodwork in the engine area, some deckbeams and various other bits and and pieces. All the wiring and a lot of the plumbing will need replacement. Also a new engine. All in all she is very well built and in great condition. I only spent an hour aboard but I could not find any rot anywhere. If you want to have look at her go to yachtsalvage.com/Listings/45heisler73.htm. The current high bid is $5000. I'd bid if I didn't already have way too many boats to work on.

Who was "Ben Heisler"? I only know of Clarence & Cecil.

Dale:
    I sailed on her in the early 80's when she was owned by my Boss at the time. It was too early in my sailing life for me to remember much other than we won a lot of races and she had quite a reputation. She's a schooner, and she was built in Nova Scotia, you can't get any better than that.

I'm not too sure of the relatinship to Clarence and Cecil, but Ben Heisler was a native Tancooker born sometime around the beginning of the last century and who passed away only a decade or so ago. His family was one of the four boatbuilding families on the island, the others being the Stevens', Langille's, and Mason's. I would suppose that Ben Heisler would have been either Clarence Heisler's brother or cousin, or possibly an uncle. Regardless of the exact relationship, Ben, Clarence, and Cecil are all of the same stock, and Ben was widely known for his quality boatbuilding skills.

I assume that you have checked out
    www.heislerboatbuilding.com
    Cecil is Clarence's son. It would probably be worth a call to Cecil. I'm sure he could tell you all you'd ever need or want to know. Good luck. BTW - if you get her you will need a Nova Scotian crew to make her go right.

[ 02-27-2005, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Steve McMahon ]

Originally posted by Jon Curtis:
    I have a '76 43' heisler schooner. Originally "Kalibar". She is a knockabout but was intended to have a sprit.
    Cute boat, and nice work being done on HER (not "it", please)

She surely would not mind to have her jib on a short bowsprit, with a little larger staysail, and perhaps a main with slightly longer foot... What a great looking schooner she would be then [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edited to add: Jon, for posting pictures: if they already are on an internet site: just right click on the picture, ask "properties", and then copy the "http;/...bla bla..." with the "ctrl+c". Then, when you are writing your post, paste that with "ctrl+v" in the window that appears when you click on the button "image" while writing your post to Wooden Boat Forum. Mind not to have "http://" copied twice.
    If the picture you intend to post is not already on an internet site, you have to put it on somehow, like for example in an album you will create on "imagestation" (it's a site hosted by SONY, free of charge, very handy). After your image is on http://www.imagestation.com , and when you see it there in normal size (not thumbnail), copy the "http://...bla bla..." (URL, I think it's called) just the same way as explained hereabove.
    I hope I have been clear....

[ 03-01-2005, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: Lucky Luke ]

Yep, thats the picture that started it all, started us down this path of hard work and lost assets. Along the way we've had a great time and met lifelong friends. Its been 7 years since I last sailed her - hope I remember how.

In case anyone is following this boat, SEBIM, the broker has informed me that she is going to New York, as is, for $29,000. The same boat that was offered for $68,000 and $75,000, with no takers since 1999.

http://www.davidjonesclassics.com/co...roker&&hosturl =davidjones&&ywo=davidjones&
    http://midcoastyacht.com/A-sailing-yachts.html

So a new diesel, new wiring, new refrigeration, new water heater, bilge plank and frame fire damage repair, cockpit and bridge beam fire damage repair, replace the melted GPS and radar monitor, add a holding tank, band the charred mainmast heel... hope she wins some more races.

[ 04-14-2005, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Jack Zuraw ]

Default Re: 45 ft, 1973 Heisler Schooner

Hey, schooner Sebim, built in back harbor Chester Nova Scotia Canada by Ben Heisler with son Butch Heisler. She was a fine strong ocean going schooner as well as a nimble, powerful schooner when needed. Owner Warren Doan of Barrington Passage Nova Scotia from a long lineage of skippers and a fine man, very generous. Please google Sebim as there were tall ships built in Barrington NS that were in the days of wooden ships and iron men.
    I crewed on schooner Sebim in 1980's with Warren (Doany) as owner and a fine man of the sea. High regard for competition and fierce competitor with David Stevens and Kathy Ann, many legendary battles, also with Amasonia and Dr. Les Caslake. NS Schooner Assoc. Nev Layton was a shipmate. My understanding is she was 52 feet on deck. Henry Endres of Berwick, Germany and family bought her in 1985 approx. and took her to U.S to race along Eastern seaboard, Gloucester Mass, Cape Cod. I lost track of her after that. She is a fine ship! Hubee Ryan

Welcome Hubee.
    I bid on Sebim in the insurance auction referred to above, but didn't win. The last I knew she was coming to NY for repair.

My grandfather, Warren Doane, was the owner/skipper of the Sebim. I remember one summer when I was approx. twelve years old, he had asked me if I would like to be a part of his crew in an upcoming race around Halifax Harbour (Nova Scotia). Of course I did not hesitate to say "yes", and the best part was spending that time with my grandfather. He was so proud of his schooner. Did I mention that we won that race What fond memories I hold dearly.

Hi - Great to find this thread! I am another of the "old" crew of Sebim - crewed for Warren for almost 10 years. Many great races and lots of fun. Best memory is from one of the Schooner Weeks at the LaHave Yatch Club - with each crew turning their hand at breakfast during the week, we decided to take a different tack and served "Beans and Black Death". I rowed the Skipper around the fleet as he sang out over a megaphone "Rise and Shine - you've had your time, now I want mine - Rise and Shine"!
    I had heard that Sebim suffered a fire and was trying for ages to find her - even wrote to the Commodore of the Long Island Schooner Association - no luck. Worst fear is that she is sitting in the back of some boat yard somewhere.