Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coolest plane ever built!

Default Re: Coolest plane ever built!

Quote Originally Posted by jbelow View Post
    Bob , thank you for the pic. Amazing engine. If I remember correctly, it turned a 19 ft. prop.
    I know all radial engines are air cooled but I don't see any cooling fins.... if I didn't know better, I'd say that engine is liquid cooled.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The study of history is a powerful antidote to contemporary arrogance.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I flew a lot of miles in Comet IV's as a boy.

Noisier than the Brittannias they replaced but I didn't mind because it was a jet! My first experience of jet type take offs, but the VC10 was the plane for real rapid getaways as it was grossly overpowered due to BOAC insisting that it should be able to take off on full load from Nairobi in summer...

Not quite sure why British designers were so keen on burying the engines in the wing roots. It certainly made the cabin noisy.

I also flew a lot in the Comet's relative, the Sud-Aviation Caravelle (the Caravelle had the entire nose and cockpit of the Comet, bought as a job lot from De Havilland, along with some other bits. Caravelles, being French, were "different", and had triangular windows, a boarding ramp in the rear of the fuselage and the engines at the back which made them quiet.
    You're right about the VC10, a superb aircraft, it had had significantly higher thrust-to-weight than the early 707, and could thus operate from short runways and high/hot conditions. But as I recall, so did the Comet 1, but I can't find the specs online, only for the Comet 4.

Engines buried in the airfoil are more aerodynamically efficient. But I never liked the design because it's not as fire-safe as with nacelles; with the latter, the engine can melt off and a safe landing is still possible.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    SR71, coolest hands down.

O wait, on the other side of the scale, the BD5 "personal jet".
    Oysh. Don't go there. As a youngster, I also thought the BD5 was cool. Deathtraps. As shown in detail on Wikipedia (not the first I have known of this though) Bede was a bit of a huckster and cut both corners and ethics on multiple designs. Lots of people lost money, a good number of folks died too. Only Bede designs that are flying are due to the sheer determination of their owners to correct serious design deficiencies on their own dime.
    Last edited by Bob (oh, THAT Bob); 04-24-2011 at 04:14 AM.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

I stand corrected; thought it was tree rows of nine. Makes sense; more roon fior air between cylinders. Actually, I was atempting to count the cylinders in a "row" (circle) just by looking at the near side appearing in the photo and it seemed more like seven than nine.

Moby Nick

Quote Originally Posted by leaotis View Post
    I know all radial engines are air cooled but I don't see any cooling fins.... if I didn't know better, I'd say that engine is liquid cooled.
    this pic better shows the fins

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I thought these had a certain appeal:

I remember seeing a film of one landing on top of a moving car,which is possibly of no use whatsoever in ordinary operation but still an impressive stunt.

"Anyone who says they like portaging is either a liar or crazy."
    - Bill Mason

Quote Originally Posted by botebum View Post
    It kind of amazes me ... and yet it doesn't ... that so many wooden boat nuts are also airheads.
    I admire cool airplanes, enjoy looking at the pictures here with Scooter(she loves airplanes), and have been to several airshows that I thoroughly enjoyed.

But ... to me ... the absolute, coolest plane ever built, bar none, was the Stanley 110.
    I can make it fly straight and level.
    It's awesome in an outside curve.
    In the proper hands it can take you places that are off the map.

This isn't mine. Mine is prettier and kept in a special box, engraved with my initials by my daughter Bear when she was six-

Doug

I noticed the connection a long time ago between Sailing, Flying and Motorcycles. My three favorite things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    I thought these had a certain appeal:

I remember seeing a film of one landing on top of a moving car,which is possibly of no use whatsoever in ordinary operation but still an impressive stunt.
    Ah yes, The Cri-Cri, One has just been built near here with 2 electric motors each side. Can do 20mins of aeros or an hour of normal flight.

Check out http://avions.mignet.free.fr/ his g/son lives close and was producing them until his Ins Co pulled their cover.
    Last edited by andrewe; 04-25-2011 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Wrong link

Hey! I had to work on BAE Strikemasters in the RNZAF. Imagininative is not the word I would use. Total piece of s**t, variable noise - constant power, or in airforce parlance "Blunt".

The A4 Skyhawks were SHARP (**** hot and really potent), whereas the Strikemasters were BLUNT (bloody useless, non tactical). And totally horrible to work on - like a 1950's British car.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    50s brit jets were some of the most imaginative things ever

Spot the navigator

An old favourite.

And the infinite improbability drive version

And who will forget the P1127?
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Ever heard of Richard Pierce? There is pretty good evidence that he flew months before the Wright Bros, making the airplane a KIWI invention :-)

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    The airplane is a US invention, and most of the great aircraft have been and are American.

But, after thinking about it, the coolest plane ever built has to be Concorde, the daughter of the TSR2 and granddaughter of the Vulcan by way of the Comet, the Caravelle and the Mirage and the finest product of the British and French aircraft industrires.

The only way for people who were not fighter pilots to go supersonic, and, beyond all doubt, the most beautiful airliner, ever.

And Concorde begat...Airbus...

Oh, well...
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Ever heard of Richard Pierce? There is pretty good evidence that he flew months before the Wright Bros, making the airplane a KIWI invention :-)

Isn't where the nickname "KIWI" came from?

How about the Bleriot XI

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    The DeHavilland Mosquito

Pioneered cored wood composite construction.
    Sheesh..... it had to wait until page 2 to make its appearance!

The Mosquito performed as a fighter, a bomber, a recon plane, a night fighter.... and more. It carried the same bomb load to Berlin as a B17, with 1/5 the crew, at double the speed and with a fraction of the loss rate..... and it put the bombs on the target, not miles away. Oh sorry, its not American, so I guess it doesn't count eh?

Here's my Uncle Biggles (on the left) in front of his Mosquito

My three would be Spitfire, Mosquito and SR71.
    Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    sinister. . .

Highly sinister. Dad was wounded by one in the somewhat disastrous Battle of Greece - and left for dead, given the amount of blood on his head. When he came to he had to retreat through enemy lines, so that he could be evacuated to Crete.... where he was captured. The shrapnel from the Ju87 bomb wasn't removed for another 4 years.... after his sojourn in a German holiday camp. I doubt he would be able to watch that clip if he was still alive. He said some soldiers used to crap themselves when they heard the sirens attached to the Ju 87s.

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

I knew a bloke that flew in these during the war. Ceiling 13,000, mountains in clouds 13,000 ft and dive bomb at 90 degrees from 10,000.
    At the age of 62 I have come to realise that you can't breed out stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Sheesh..... it had to wait until page 2 to make its appearance!

The Mosquito performed as a fighter, a bomber, a recon plane, a night fighter.... and more. It carried the same bomb load to Berlin as a B17, with 1/5 the crew, at double the speed and with a fraction of the loss rate..... and it put the bombs on the target, not miles away. Oh sorry, its not American, so I guess it doesn't count eh?

My three would be Spitfire, Mosquito and SR71.
    There were two basic variants of the Mosquito that flew bombing runs to Berlin. The majority of these aircraft had a bomb capacity of 2,000 pounds and the remainder were modified to drop a single 4,000 pound bomb. The WW2 average bomb load for a Mosquito to Berlin was 2,769 pounds.

By contrast, the B-17 average bomb load to Berlin was 4,630 pounds in March of 1944. By March of 1945 the average load was 5,166 pounds. Air superiority allowed for elimination of one gun station from the B-17 and increased bomb loads.

The B-24 Liberator delivered a bomb load similar to the B-17 on the Berlin run.

Comparing a DH Mosquito to heavy bombers like Flying Fortress, Liberator, Lancaster and Superfortress is a bit silly because it obscures the best abilities of this magnificent fast bomber, which was unchallenged in a variety of other roles.
    "Whiskey is for drinking, water is for fighting over." -Samuel Clemens

Thanks, yzer! I knew he war in error, but had not the time to look it up today.

Moby Nick

Just occurred to me that Howard Hughes probably built most of the coolest aircraft ever built.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Just occurred to me that Howard Hughes probably built most of the coolest aircraft ever built.
    One of my all time favorites.

Add in the H4 Hercules, the TWA Constellation, and some credit for the DC3.

That would really hurt the eyes on a bright sunny day. Flush rivets smooth it out.

Yep, that H1 racer is up there. Not built to kill people with either, which sorta aids the coolness factor.

Quote Originally Posted by yzer View Post
    There were two basic variants of the Mosquito that flew bombing runs to Berlin. The majority of these aircraft had a bomb capacity of 2,000 pounds and the remainder were modified to drop a single 4,000 pound bomb. The WW2 average bomb load for a Mosquito to Berlin was 2,769 pounds.

By contrast, the B-17 average bomb load to Berlin was 4,630 pounds in March of 1944. By March of 1945 the average load was 5,166 pounds. Air superiority allowed for elimination of one gun station from the B-17 and increased bomb loads.

The B-24 Liberator delivered a bomb load similar to the B-17 on the Berlin run.

Comparing a DH Mosquito to heavy bombers like Flying Fortress, Liberator, Lancaster and Superfortress is a bit silly because it obscures the best abilities of this magnificent fast bomber, which was unchallenged in a variety of other roles.
    Most of the Mosquito bombers that went to Berlin, and some went on most raids, were used as pathfinders. They carried incendiaries. The use of fighter bombers in Intrudder raids over Europe are why the average bomb load is lower. The Merlin versions that could carry a 4,000 bomb to Berlin first flew in March 1943, before the US began raiding Berlin. After the war, the RAF concluded that the Mosquito bomber was 4.95 times more effective than a Lancaster bomber.

My Uncle described an Intruder raid in his autobiography, where they took out a power station in occupied France using the fighter bomber version of the Mosquito at low altitude(2,000lb load)

another

I suspect I wouldn't have learned to sail in, nor later own, an Enterprise if it hadn't been for ply and glue technologies developed for airframes like the Mosquito. That makes her a winner for me!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    I suspect I wouldn't have learned to sail in, nor later own, an Enterprise if it hadn't been for ply and glue technologies developed for airframes like the Mosquito. That makes her a winner for me!

Andy
    the germans tried wooden fighter aircraft but they lacked the adhesives to do so and they kept falling apart in flight, most embarrassing

The Mosquito had some similar failures in the tropics.

^ until they invented a newer resorcinol glue.

”Yep, that H1 racer is up there. Not built to kill people with either, which sorta aids the coolness factor.”

Agreed, but the above post is a rather ironic statement in that the very plane pictured in this thread killed my uncle in August of 2003.
    rob

I love these plane threads, I'm no pilot, unless flight sims count , but I am a big fan of aviation and have been up in many a small plane over the years. I've even held the yoke on a Cessna 172 for a while and lived to tell of it. Which is probably why I seem to gravitate to the home built when it comes to planes, they have the illusion of being obtainable for me.

One of my favorites in the home bult category is without a doubt the Velocity.

Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Same here... my two hours at the controls of a Piper Arrow (owned by a friend) doesn't qualify me as ANY sort of pilot (I've got one takeoff, but NO landings, to my credit), but I've always been fascinated by aircraft.

With regard to the photos... I have always like the canard configuration; it always seemed so sensible; with a canard that stalled before the main wing, stalls would be diminished dramatically.

From what I've read, though, aircraft in that configuration have one significant liability; they can get into a situation where they lose lift, and both wings stall simultaneously, and the aircraft goes into a flat 'fall'..... no way to get out of it, since no control surfaces would be effective. From an article I read, in one case, the pilot had to open the canopy, and hang out one side of the cockpit, in order to get the aircraft to roll just enough (from the weight imbalance) so that recovery became possible.
    I was always under the impression that the canard would stall before the main wing creating a nose down attitude, either way it's a good argument for a parachute recovery system.
    Nosce te ipsum

My son in law is a crew member on one of these and my brother was as well.

Tom
    http://www.ccmanuals.com

'Don't fart, and then point at the dog'

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Most of the Mosquito bombers that went to Berlin, and some went on most raids, were used as pathfinders. They carried incendiaries. The use of fighter bombers in Intrudder raids over Europe are why the average bomb load is lower. The Merlin versions that could carry a 4,000 bomb to Berlin first flew in March 1943, before the US began raiding Berlin. After the war, the RAF concluded that the Mosquito bomber was 4.95 times more effective than a Lancaster bomber.

My Uncle described an Intruder raid in his autobiography, where they took out a power station in occupied France using the fighter bomber version of the Mosquito at low altitude(2,000lb load)
    Of course, starting with Big Week, we had a strategy of trying to get the Luftwaffe to engage in combat so that we could destroy their fighter force. We didn't bomb Berlin and Dresden thinking we would break the will of the German people; we'd seen how ineffective that was for the Germans bombing London. We did it to force the Luftwaffe to come up where our fighters could destroy them (and, of course, to do some damage to German industry.) When we bombed factories, they could limit their engagements, hunker down and hold forces in reserve in case we invaded Europe. When we bombed the cities, they had to send up the fighters, and the long-range escorts we sent with the bombers were freed to go destroy the enemy fighters. This was not terribly popular with the bomber crews, because if more of the enemy came along, the escorts could already be off chasing the first group.

Losses among heavy bomber air crews who, like my father, flew 30 or more missions, were about 70 percent killed or MIA, much higher than among fighters or medium bombers. That's because they were used as bait. By the time D-Day came, tactical air support went all our way, so clearly the strategy worked, but at terrible cost.

Would the Mosquito have been as good as bait?

for the times a large air component was needed we had one with experience to use

plus all the men, guns ammo, and transport used for air defense that wasn't used elsewhere

Not built to kill - but killer looks

Even when they work, they don't work well. I blame engineers.
    The only thing engineers have done to the toaster in the last 80 years is make it disposable. I think it applies to a lot of things

What load could it carry, 2 bottles of Pimms and matching glassware?

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    What load could it carry, 2 bottles of Pimms and matching glassware?
    Yes but it did it with style mate.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Not built to kill - but killer looks
    The first time I went to the Air & Space Museum the red one (the winner) was displayed there. I believe you may have it back now. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    I love these plane threads, I'm no pilot, unless flight sims count , but I am a big fan of aviation and have been up in many a small plane over the years. I've even held the yoke on a Cessna 172 for a while and lived to tell of it. Which is probably why I seem to gravitate to the home built when it comes to planes, they have the illusion of being obtainable for me.

One of my favorites in the home bult category is without a doubt the Velocity.

The velocity is definitely cool. As is this, although it's not nearly as pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    From what I've read, though, aircraft in that configuration have one significant liability; they can get into a situation where they lose lift, and both wings stall simultaneously, and the aircraft goes into a flat 'fall'..... no way to get out of it, since no control surfaces would be effective. From an article I read, in one case, the pilot had to open the canopy, and hang out one side of the cockpit, in order to get the aircraft to roll just enough (from the weight imbalance) so that recovery became possible.
    I heard a case where just such a stall occurred, I believe in a Long EZ. The pilot was uninjured as the decent was slow enough that the impact didn't even badly damage the airframe. Of course he was lucky to 'land' somewhere that was relatively open. I also think that Rutan designed an aerodynamic retrofit of some type to enable escape from such a stall.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Of course, starting with Big Week, we had a strategy of trying to get the Luftwaffe to engage in combat so that we could destroy their fighter force. We didn't bomb Berlin and Dresden thinking we would break the will of the German people; we'd seen how ineffective that was for the Germans bombing London. We did it to force the Luftwaffe to come up where our fighters could destroy them (and, of course, to do some damage to German industry.) When we bombed factories, they could limit their engagements, hunker down and hold forces in reserve in case we invaded Europe. When we bombed the cities, they had to send up the fighters, and the long-range escorts we sent with the bombers were freed to go destroy the enemy fighters. This was not terribly popular with the bomber crews, because if more of the enemy came along, the escorts could already be off chasing the first group.

Losses among heavy bomber air crews who, like my father, flew 30 or more missions, were about 70 percent killed or MIA, much higher than among fighters or medium bombers. That's because they were used as bait. By the time D-Day came, tactical air support went all our way, so clearly the strategy worked, but at terrible cost.

Would the Mosquito have been as good as bait?
    There's more than one way to engage them.

Anybody watching the Royal Wedding and saw the "Windsor Flyover" of a Spitfire, Lancaster, and Hurricane? Apparently they are seen regularly at Royal events, especially weddings and are given credit for "saving England" in WW2. "Windsor Formation", classy name, eh? All those Rolls Royce in-line engines sounded cool, too.

Moby Nick

Agreed, but the above post is a rather ironic statement in that the very plane pictured in this thread killed my uncle in August of 2003.
    My condolences. I was shocked when Jim Wright crashed. His clone of the H1 was extraordinary.

I had the pleasure of watching 8 spitfires buzz the airfield at one time during the Duxford air show, 2005. Speaking of engines!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    You call that a fly-by? Now this is a fly-by.

Quote Originally Posted by boatbuddha View Post
    You call that a fly-by? Now this is a fly-by.
    Very Cool!

This is low level. Warning, swear words used.