Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coquina buid in Oz

Default Re: Coquina buid in Oz

Somehow I missed this thread until today. Beautiful work, really stunning.

Yep, really looking great!

Rick

Very good looking build. I note that I did the same thing you did with running the breasthook joint flush into the stem, and rubrail/shearstrake. This has caused me a bit of confusion in how to interpret the plans later down the road, as I installed the washboards (sidedecks). Since the washboards add 1/2"to elevation at the sheer, it confused me a bit as to how to retain that Herreshoff sheerline. I didn't want to mess with it by elevating it, but in the end I ran the washboard edge all the way up to the stem and cut a mahogany half oval strip to lay on top of the sheer, along the washboard edge from the watertight compartment to the stem. The other problem was more than visual--the way the breasthook connects, it looks like it will pour water right down into the end grain of the termination edge of the washboards. Since I dry fitted and then removed everything as I continue to varnish and work on the seats, I can't photograph this simple idea, which is harder to express through written detail. In any event, I hope you will post a photo of how you are terminating your washboards direction stem when you get there, just for comparison.

If you want to see photos of what I am talkiing about, I put some on flickr. You can just clikc on my name on top of the photo and it will divert into the photostream. I don't want to crash your thread so here is a link, if you're interested:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3748171...n/photostream/
    Last edited by davebrown; 03-24-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Dave I think I understand the dilemma my intention is to run the washboards (I just call them decks) just short of the top round of the sheerstakes and at the bow a fore/aft butt joint with final shaping that covers the stem and fore section of the breast hook. Phew does that make sense anyway if you are patient enough I post some pics one day. The build has stalled for the last month life/work you know.

Thnks for the link and please feel free to add comments post pics at will. I've found that an enjoyable aspect of novice boat building when confronted with a problem one researches the forum.

Cheers
    Mike

Not sure if you know this, but Coquina's side decks were not part of the boat's original design. Herreshoff had them added on after a season of sailing the boat. Based on this experiment he concluded that any small open sailing boat should have side decks.

Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    The build has stalled for the last month life/work you know. Cheers Mike
    Move along, move along. That's no excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    Not sure if you know this, but Coquina's side decks were not part of the boat's original design. Herreshoff had them added on after a season of sailing the boat. Based on this experiment he concluded that any small open sailing boat should have side decks.
    Yes I did read that some where.........not to mention a more comfortable addition when hiking out.

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Move along, move along. That's no excuse!
    Truth is John things are in need of more sanding and then painting so the motivation is not there, I much prefer jobs that require a plane in hand if you know what mean.

But my sails are made and on the way from Tassie as we write so you are sure to see a sudden blast of activity in the not too distant future.

Mick, I know exactly what you mean. I did all my sanding on stinking hot muggy days too, just to make sure it stuck all over me. A plane in hand, and I'm in heaven. Who made your sails, if I can ask?

http://www.stormbaysails.com.au/Welcome.html seemed like the logical choice.

They haven't arrived yet but I'm sure I'll be pleased.

Mike, thanks for reply. I too am getting held up by lots of little finish work here and there. Durn! But I did manage to take out a pulling boat in SF this morning. Weather was uncharacteristically calm for this time of year. Anyway, good luck and I will be watching for more photos. Rob, interesting point about the washboards. I wonder what happened to cause that conclusion.

I can think of 3 good reasons to have side decks on an open sailing boat. First, they stiffen the hull against twisting loads exerted by sailing forces. Second, they keep out stray splashes when the boat is sailing heeled over. And third, they give you a comfortable place to sit.

Herreshoff also reduced the sailing rig after a summer of sailing Coquina. He said the original rig was "Much too large for ordinary use." I can imagine him having a couple white-knuckle moments that first summer that caused him to make both changes.

Right! I was of course referring to the white-knuckled ride. I stripped my washboards in WRC. I am going to lay 3 oz glass, more or less, for abrasion protection, and a mahogany rail on top of the shearstrake rubrail just to keep any WRC splinters from popping up. I have had one in my hand for a month now and cannot get it out. The photo on Flickr above shows the WRC, but the lighting is not well.

(EDITED: The following was a reply to several interesting posts/questions. Now they seem to be gone...Can't figure out why. Anyone care to enlighten me? )
    Yeadon: if I may respond to the framing issue: The plans show full framing for the cedar planked boat, and half frames, as done here, for the ply. The half frame will carry the brunt of the flooring stress and I suppose Hylan is relying on the glued lap seam, a la Oughtred, for the necessary upper strength. Simply because I like the way the frames look, and because I tend to overbuild out of caution, I used 1/2" x3/4" half frames to the flooring edge and then ran a 1/4"x3/4" section on up to the bottom of the shear. But it's more visual than anything. Hylan does not go into detail about what adhesive, if any, to use on the framing with the ply, or whether it should just be bedding compound and screws. This created a dilemma for me. Purely by chance, I came across a build article from some years ago in which Hylan had written a how-to on one hull or another, I forget what, but he talked in that article about using ply with ribs, and epoxy ON ONE SIDE OF THE FRAME ONLY, with screws. In that build, he mentioned that he thought that expansion and contraction of the ribs would be real, but slight, and that would be a way to deal with it. I posted a thread or two on here, which gave some of the Benighted Who Have Never Built A Boat a great deal of fun sneering at the question, but ultimately I couldn't really get a clear answer on what to do with it. So I followed Hylan's advice from that previous, unrelated ply-with-ribs-build. Time will tell I guess, but I think it is a point in his plans that he might want to expound on, just for those of us who are coming in to the build with uncertainty on that issue, since the established mantra is "don't mix ply and solid timber with epoxy". I have several other boats, and anywhere that I had a ply and solid timber mix the pox has either failed catastrophically or at least the seams have opened up, which follows the rule. The same question could be asked about garboard to keel/kingplank (Hylan calls it the Hog), or floor timbers to garboard. Are we complicating a simple issue? Well, maybe, but I do have the open seams to prove that mixing ply, solid timber and epoxy is if not a bad idea, at least one that should be viewed with caution below the waterline...
    Last edited by davebrown; 03-28-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Good points Dave. Maybe it's the particular situation too. In certain circumstances it may work while in others it doesn't. If he were to talk a bit about it the discussion could be beneficial to us all.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Dave,
    As I was pondering the question of ribs and framing I did read your thread re bedding of the ribs and thought at the time there was not any real clarity in the responses.

I offer the following only to explain my logic and quickly add it is not necessarily the correct method.
    On my build I am fitting the midship thwart and fastening atop the stern section of the centrecase in lieu of sternsheets so the centrecase will be well braced however if the later build method is adopted I'd suggest the ribs and framing play an important structual role as the triangulation of the framing provides support for the centrecase therefore a secure method of fixing the ribs is important.
    My take on the issue of wood movement in this application is that given the ribs are small sticks 1/2" X 11/16" any movement will be very minor plus I have epoxy sealed them so by rights it should be zero. I decided to both epoxy glue and bronze screw at each lap a total overkill no doubt but hey seemed reasonable plus my steaming job was not perfect so I needed to pull the ribs into postion a little.
    Time will tell I guess if this approach is approriate.

Now for a little tip or should I say warning for the novice who may read this thread and be contemplating steaming their Coquina ribs. When steaming even though they are wee little things you still need a plentiful supply of steam a well insulated steamer and give em suffcient time to get really hot and pliable. I didn't and the job of temporarily screwing them in position was made more difficult than it should have been. Another thing drill clearance holes (obvious really) but I was attempting to countersink and drill using a tapered bit but on only a half inch max of ply to play with it was risky and sure enough I managed to drill through my nicely finished hull.
    So use course thread round head screws drill a clearance hole in the rib worry about countersinking after the ribs have set up and very carefully drill the correct pilot hole, assuming you have finished the water side of the hull before flipping if not well I guess a few extra holes to seal does not matter. Oh and one or two 3/4" self tappers screwed at the max bend point and flush to the top surface of the rib would in hindsight have been the best solution.

Cheers
    Mike

Hi Mike: yes, I did almost exactly the same thing you did with the ribs. I poxed one side and then put in a SS screw at each lap, as you did. I was very careful with depth of pilot and managed to stay inside the planking on all but one or two screws, and there were a lot! I did have one area of trouble that was a bit of a surprise--I used ash for the ribs (which is rot prone, but a little more flexible than WO) and at first I had my pilot bits too small for the wood. I split about every third screw in the first few ribs, and I kept thinking it was the wood. I then went up maybe 1/32nd in pilot size and didn't split another one. I think I ended up at 1/8" on no. 8 SS screws, IIRC. Mike, did you use the same methods for your floor timbers, i.e., pox sealant and glue and screw to the kingplank and frames? Looks like they came out well. BTW I was going to white lead the stem and keel, but after looking at yours I might keep it all one color. Yours looks wonderful. I used cherry on the rubrail/shear strake and I couldn't have asked for it to be better...man these boats are something. Going from nothing to having a Herreshoff in the garage, it is a singular experience.

Yes screw and glued floors frames and sole beams. I have been epoxy coating everything as I go but confess I'm running out of steam so some two pack primer may very well be employed in the final stretch. The boat will be stored undercover so 100% sealing is not really critical, I'm still undecided if I'll coat the sheerstrakes or just varnish but as for the thwarts they are the most exposed and subject to damage so epoxy is probably wise.
    Next problem is sourcing some boards for the sole still tossing up between WRC (expensive here) Douglas fir or Hoop pine it may very well be determined by the widest boards I can find.

Sails have arrived, ordered bags as well so they can be stored on the spars.

and here they are roped and leech cords (concession to modern trim) Russell included reef points in the mizzen not sure if I'll use them we shall see.

A couple of small jobs done first the mizzen thwart

which has a few nail imperfections (I can't help scrounging) so to try and disguise them a few twigs mashed into the holes.

and sanded kinda helps.

Last edited by m2c1Iw; 04-10-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Thwart riser done and glued

Last edited by m2c1Iw; 04-10-2012 at 06:05 AM.

Lovely work going on there..and thanks for the sails pix! The bags are also very impressive..I didn't think of that.

Did a test fit of the masts and I'm pleased to report they fit and the main mast rake appears about right. I was a little nervous about how accurate the cut out in the breasthook would end up. You will note my assistant is camera shy.

How good is that! You must be getting very close to hitting the water now.

Unfortunately no still a fair bit to go yet, bad case of builders block at the moment everything I start I mess up so the next step is a big tidy up and a think in the moaning chair.

As you can see

It doesn't look like that from here. However, I am also experiencing the slower progress of details, painting and finishing compared with the big moves early on in a build. I like the mobile strongback a lot. And yes, your assistant (project manager) is a tad shy. I don't see a moaning chair in sight though.

You are not too far out from launching. One the decks go on it really starts to go quick.
    She's looking beautiful. Do you intend to trailer, or leave her at a dock or mooring?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    It doesn't look like that from here. However, I am also experiencing the slower progress of details, painting and finishing compared with the big moves early on in a build. I like the mobile strongback a lot. And yes, your assistant (project manager) is a tad shy. I don't see a moaning chair in sight though.
    The moaning chair is in the moaning cornebr />
    Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Do you intend to trailer, or leave her at a dock or mooring?
    Stored on a trailer under cover although I do have a cunning plan involving landing davits and a boat cover for the summer.

Maybe it is just my computer screen Mike,but your mizzen mast looks like it could use just a smidgen more cant aft to avoid the appearance of converging lines with your mainmast. Mizzens should always cant more than the main anyway, just for that jaunty look.

Beyond that, very ,very sweet looking and remarkable workmanship. I'd be busy, right about now,building a showcase out of bullet proof glass to keep her safe if she were mine. In otherwords, I'd be so terrified of using her for fear of dinging her, I'd never use her, just look at her.

I envy your workmanship and best of luck when your launch day arrives!!

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Ah Peter thankyou for explaining what has been worrying me.

On the test day and looking at the pics I kept saying to myself, self something definitely does not look right even though the masts are upendicular and I replied, yes self I agree but what is it?

So while my micro adjustments succeeded in achieving alignment it did not sit well with the eye the old converging line problem indeed.

As for a showcase no sir I do intend to sail her, racing even but I admit it is very likely I will shed a tear the first time the wonderful sheerstrake that I slaved over is dinged......alas such is life.

Put a few dings in it now Mike and live the rest of your life in bliss!

Rick

This design, I think more than any other I can recall, seems to bring out the finest builders and the finest out of builders. What lovely work you've done here. Much of this looks like instrument making on a larger, grander scale. It almost makes me laugh that you are going to purposefully get it wet.
    "A man builds the best of himself into a boat- builds many of the memories of his ancestors." -Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Put a few dings in it now Mike and live the rest of your life in bliss!

Rick
    I do think potomac is correct when he says the design does push builders to do the best they can and I'm sure that will include the ongoing care, so no dings allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by potomac View Post
    This design, I think more than any other I can recall, seems to bring out the finest builders and the finest out of builders. What lovely work you've done here. Much of this looks like instrument making on a larger, grander scale. It almost makes me laugh that you are going to purposefully get it wet.
    Why thank you and I do hope I'll make you chuckle soon on splash day.

It's a trap Mike, a trap!!

Rick

I've put aside work on the platform and margin boards at the moment in favour of thwarts and decks main reason is my first attempt at patterns was a complete failure so true to my motto "If at first you don't succeed go and try something else" I made some forms for the laminated deck knees fashioned the thwarts although a little extra finishing is needed.
    So here is the stern thwart one problem is with the onset of the humid weather it's grown a bit so I'll have to talk the boss into letting me bring them indoors for a week or so before I epoxy seal them.

Forward thwart....the keen eyed may note it's a little short thanks to visit from the stuff up fairy, think I'll leave it rather than a redo.

On to the deck knees laminated from celery top pine. I needed to soak them overnight then heat with a heat gun to get them to bend.

Then made a deck pattern to align the finished knees much cutting a trial fits later here we have a set of dicky knees. I'll fit the thwart knees after the thwarts have been sealed and fitted.

Mike