Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 67

Thread: Coquina buid in Oz

Default Re: Coquina buid in Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Cohen View Post
    Simply breathtaking, Mike. Truly inspirational.

May I make a suggestion? If you decide to go with registration numbers...get them in white. Otherwise, given the build quality of the boat, you would have to inlay them into the ply in ebony.
    Fresh out of ebony Alan probably have to use Jarrah with a heavy stain. Thanks for your compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Mike, about a year ago, I decided to leave mine at home for almost all trips..it just gets in the way, unbalances the boat, and makes one more nervous than necessary about capsizing or even dipping it in the briny on whatever side you mount it on.
    Thanks John you confirm my thinking. I will go ahead and finish the bracket and decide later if I register the boat as I have this crazy idea about sailing down the Murray from source to sea and rowing against a head wind holds very little appeal.

Mike, in NSW, any vessel greater than 5.5m has to be registered anyway. I think yours would be longer, wouldn't it? Also, with sailing boats, you can get away with quite subtle reg numbers. Ours are only 50mm high on Masina and they look fine up near the transom. Simple, black numbers that are easily removed and replaced, don't detract at all. Gooey attempts at an artistic approach tend to age very quickly - IMHO. Your boat is already spectacularly beautiful but as it's used, it's the fundamentals that will keep it so.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    Fresh out of ebony Alan probably have to use Jarrah with a heavy stain. Thanks for your compliment.
    Well, I just happen to have kilos of ebony left over from my guitar building days. If you'll use it, you can have some.

Launch day finally arrived, now I was hoping for a gentle breeze for the first outing to test and familiarise but this was ridiculous not even a zephyr.

Anyway bit of preparation and in she goes

and the adoring crowd

Three hearty cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I can see the bigger photos in your Flickr folder link.

Really nice Mike! Really nice!

Shame about the lack of breeze. That happened to me too when I wet TMP for the first time.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Hurray!
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Great stuff..look forward to more pics when the breeze pipes up! Well done on finishing her Mike!
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Congratulations on a superb job! Be sure to let us know how you like sailing her.

Congratulations Mike! Beautiful job!

Rick

Beautiful! Congratulations! I'm hot on your heels, planning to launch mine in the next two months, you are inspiring me to stay on schedule

Congrats indeed!! Very well done all around!!! Now, about this lamenting the lack of breeze on launch day business. Consider it a good omen,Mike.Clearly the Gods looked down on your precious perfect jewel and,feeling not to frisky that day,decided to allow her a gentle baptism so as to not over stress your nervous system. There will be plenty of time,once the launch day jitters have all but left you, for some white knuckle thrills from flukey gusts and passing squalls to make you feel grateful your launching day was less nerve wracking!!

May you have many happy and fun filled days on board!

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

She's beautiful Mike, just beautiful !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Well, I just had my first look through this thread. Great build. Well worth a bump back to the top of the Forum. Enjoy!

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

yes I remember this one too. Would love an update, how much use did the outboard bracket get? Thinking off rigging something similar up for my Coquina

Hi all, as you can tell I haven't been around for a while so apologies for not responding.

I've enjoyed sailing Quiet Time around the Goolwa area but still have a few jobs to finish and finalise the planning for a trip down the Murray River in a few months. Something I been dreaming about from when I started the build but life and stuff not to mention pandemic have got in the way. Still need to put her name on the transom so practicing gold leaf.....hmmm tricky.

The outboard bracket worked out OK, could do with a trim on top edge as the tiller fouls slightly otherwise the height is about right. The weight does not affect the trim too badly and I've counter balanced with extra fuel cans on the port side, works fairly well.

The OB pushes her along at hull speed (4.5kts..ish) easily at about half throttle my guess is 2800RPM or so. Flat out she burys the stern too much. I'll be carrying 20ltrs of fuel so at around a 1 ltr per hour I'll have a 200km range for when the wind is in the wrong direction which is often on the Murray.

Anyway a couple of pics of the bracket. It hurt to drill the holes for the mounting bolts, 2 in the side deck lined with copper and 1 in the rear mast support. I drilled and pinned the bolts to use wing nuts for easy removal. Under the side deck is a reinforcing block to prevent any flexing of the very thin deck material but my thinking is most of the strain is taken by the inner bolt. We'll see.

Cheers Mike

51809361633_69dabeb347_c.jpg51809603669_caf78867c9_c.jpg51809605364_990e13901e_c.jpg

Great to see some pics and good to hear of your plans Mike. Best wishes!
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

It's nice to see this thread resurface after all these years.
    Mike, I have a question: Do you leave the motor in place while you sail? If you do, how does it affect the handling of the boat?

Hi Rob,
    Yes I do it's fine in a light breeze with the motor tilted it clears the water reasonably well. The motor only weighs around 13kg so minimal heel effect although it gets a bit dicy when leaning over the motor attempting to release the tilt catch with all weight on the starboard side.
    I'm very happy with the result, the boat will track nicely under power, pushes her along with ease and doesn't interfere when sailing.

Having said that I've not been out with the motor mounted in a strong breeze with any chop.......probably not a good idea.

Cheers Mike