Thread: Sailing Rig for 9' dinghy

Default Sailing Rig for 9' dinghy

I have purchased a 9' dinghy the boat overall is in good condition. It is missing the sailing rig. The boat is from a unknown builder but is very much in the style of a Minto. I am sure there are many existing sail configurations that will work. I cant seem to find any actual dimensions, many pictures but very little details. I would think 35 sq/ft - 40 sq/ft of sail area would be plenty. I am sure the original mast was of wood the mast step opening is 1 1/2" and is round. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Sailing Rig for 9' dinghy

I think that the simplest thing of all is to pick the rig from a popular similar sized boat and just stick it in. For example, the sail for the Nutshell Pram (plans sold by WoodenBoat) is readily available both ready made or as a sew-it-yourself kit from Sailrite. The spars you can make yourself from fir or spruce construction lumber. The standing lug uses nice short spars which will stow easily when not in use, but is very quick to set up when it is time to sail.
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

Or look for a used rig on ebay or craigslist. Even find a second hand sail and make spars to it.

I would like do make my own spars. Does the book have the dimensions of the spars? I have looked in my area but havent found anything that I think would work.

I picked up a sailing rig from a Sabot on Craigslist then built my own spars, so there is always that inexpensive option. But for ease of use and better handling, making a sail that balances the CE/CLR with the existing mast location is probably the best method.

We can help answer your questions much better if we know where in the wide world you are located, and may be able to direct you to local resources.

Update your location by using the Private Messages link on the left in the brown menu bar above. Once in the Private Messages area, click the link on the left under "My Profile" called "Edit Profile", then scroll down to the Additional Information section and put in your location. Then scroll all the way to the bottom and click the SAVE CHANGES button.

Alternate method: click on the "My Profile" link on the upper right, then on the little pencil icon to edit the Location field, then SAVE.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

The mast is located about a 1' behind the bow

Your safest method will be to get a good ID on the boat, then see what you can find that either gives dimensions or shows the sailing rig. If you can buy or build a sail to fit the original specs (or damn close), then the rudder and daggerboard will control the boat properly and it will handle correctly.

But if you get too much sail forward of the original specs, the boat will have dangerous lee helm. Too much sail too far aft and it will have heavy weather helm, rounding up in heavy gusts. As we say here on the WB Forum, "Don't ask me how I know this"...
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

You want a sail that puts its center aft as far as is easy, given how in the eyes that step is, and you want spars as short and handy as possible, both of which argue for a sprit rig with or without boom.

The mast on such a rig can be fairly short and light, might even fit laying in the boat. I think a nice high peak is good - you can always reef if you need less sail - and the sprit pole itself is light enough that it can stick way out the bow or stern when rowing to no ill effect. Boom? Extra clutter on the one hand, but makes for a far far far better set as you get off the wind. It's a choise.

G'luck

The id of the boat may be very difficult to find. It was built by a local builder and the P.O. finished the wood work himself. He is now very old and has had many strokes and has difficulty communicating. The title lists the boat has homebuilt. The more simple the rig the happier I will be. The dagger board and rudder are pretty stout. I would just like a sail I am not really in a hurry just want to have some fun.

That makes it more difficult. Get good measurements of the entire hull, including the daggerboard and rudder's position and dimensions. There are lots of good books on how to determine the proper CE/CLR for small boats, so it may be worth picking one up before investing much money and time in the rig.

As above, something simple with spars that fit in the boat is much better than larger, more complex systems. Sprit and lugsails are popular for that function.

I like the idea of Spirt rig simple, easy and I have always like the look of them.

Well, if you stuck a spritsail in that size range on a Minto with the mast about 12" aft of the bow, it would look something like this:

Your 1.5" mast diameter at the partners is a bit undersized and the lack of ability to sheet the sail a little bit farther aft if it's run boomless are concerns. Though the desire to eliminate the boom on this sized boat is understandable, in many cases it isn't possible because the hull is so short that you can't route the sheet far enough aft to properly tension the foot of a boomless sail. The other, major concern is that we don't know the underwater profile of your particular boat - daggerboard location, rudder shape, skeg or not, etc. Whether or not it will sail decently with any rig you put on it will depend on that submerged profile.

I have some additional dimensions which may help the mast is located 11.5 back from the bow. The centerboards Centerline is 38 aft of the mast centerline. The center board is 36" long and extends 24" below the hull and is weighted. There is 6" skeg on the lower transom that tapers to the centerboard opening. The boats beam is 50"

I'd look for a standing lug with boom. More tolerant of sheet leads, the spars will be shorter than the sprit, and easier to reef if you want to include that refinement.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Learning the correct nautical terms can be confusing at first, but is a small price to pay for some of the excellent info you've gotten here -- Todd's design being a particularly nice detail!

Centerboards swing up through a slot in the bottom into a long case in the hull, with the pivot pin forward. Daggerboards go straight down into a much narrower case, and most small boats like yours have daggerboards to conserve space.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ki/Daggerboard
    https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ki/Centreboard

I stand corrected

I found a couple of different images of Mintos with rigs. This one is probably the best in terms of sailing performance if the hull has the mast that far forward. The sail dimensions are most likely these:
    Luff 13ft
    Foot 7.25ft
    Leech-AftHdBd 14.49 ft
    Tack Ang 88*
    Diag (clew/head) 14.66*ft
    Head (inches) 3.5 in
    Area (no Roach) 48.83*ft2

Then there was this rather interesting one that seems to have the mast stepped a bit farther aft. The sail itself is very similar to a spritsail, but it's been hung up using a yard in the configuration that a standing lug would have. Unlike a lug, they have essentially cut off any sail area forward of the mast, laced the luff to the mast and then they have a long downhaul of sorts, running between the heel of the yard and the lower mast to peak-up the yard. It's kind of a curious arrangement, but there is no reason that it wouldn't work and it does help solve the potential balance problem of stepping a lugsail so far forward and having sail area out ahead of the mast.

Both are boomed, which makes the sheeting/sheet-lead-angle problem much easier to deal with.

The boat does a rope that runs across the transom with a couple equally spaced knots on either side. Like a traveler with makes me think it may have had a boom at one time.

If the boat has a hard chine, it may be a Dyer Dhow. Even if it is not, it is nine feet in length.
    A bit of research on line should give you the dimentions you are looking for.
    http://www.dyerboats.com/dyer_dhow.html
    Jay