Thread: Looking for the whereabouts of 45' Bill Garden Ketch Illahee...

Default Looking for the whereabouts of 45' Bill Garden Ketch Illahee...

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post on the forum and I hope I put it in the right place. I have a query... I am looking for the whereabouts of a beautiful wooden ketch that I lost track of way back in the late 1980's when I was living aboard my Rawson 30 in Ventura Harbor, CA. She is a 45' LOD William Garden ketch named Illahee (or ILLAHEE may have been renamed). It was built by a gentleman by the name of Al Seidel in the Vancouver, BC area of the Pacific Northwest back in 1968 (with the help of a construction grant to Native Americans). If she was renamed there is still a way to find her. She has the most beautiful huge black raven carved under the bowsprit with the wings unfolded back along sides the hull. By posting here I am hoping perhaps I can find out where she is. One of her past owners sailed her to Mexico, then on to Hawaii, then back to the USA where she was finally sold. He then moved to Guam and started a sport fishing business. I have been in contact with him but he does not know where Illahee ended up either. Thanks in advance to anyone that may know her whereabouts..

Fair winds...

Marty Tryon
    San Diego, CA

s/v circumnavigator Rawson 30 "La Cabriole"
    s/v Rainbow (Morgan Classic 41)
    s/v Break Away (Ferrier 24 Trimaran)

Default Re: Looking for the whereabouts of 45' Bill Garden Ketch Illahee...

Did you try a Documented Vessel Search?
    Coast Guard Vessel Documentation

You asked for a vessel with a name like "ILLAHEE". That selection resulted in 4 matches.
    (1 of 4)Vessel Name:CLE-ILLAHEE USCG Doc. No.:228779Vessel Service:RECREATIONALIMO Number:*Trade Indicator:RecreationalCall Sign:*Hull Material:WOODHull Number:*Ship Builder:FRANCK AND MCCRARYYear Built:1929
    Length (ft.):41.7Hailing Port:SEATTLE WAHull Depth (ft.):5.1Owner:W DORIN ROBINSON
    5267 SHILSHOLE AVE NW
    SEATTLE, WA 98107Hull Breadth (ft.):11.5Gross Tonnage:19Net Tonnage:17Documentation Issuance Date:April 21, 2010Documentation Expiration Date:May 31, 2011Previous Vessel Names:No Vessel Name Changes Previous Vessel Owners:W DORIN ROBINSON

(2 of 4)Vessel Name:ILLAHEE USCG Doc. No.:676755Vessel Service:RECREATIONALIMO Number:*Trade Indicator:RecreationalCall Sign:WAO3049Hull Material:FRP (FIBERGLASS)Hull Number:EYS401030377Ship Builder:C & L MARINE CORP.Year Built:1977
    Length (ft.):39.8Hailing Port:SEATTLE WAHull Depth (ft.):7.6Owner: Hull Breadth (ft.):13.8Gross Tonnage:27Net Tonnage:22Documentation Issuance Date:June 22, 2009Documentation Expiration Date:July 31, 2010Previous Vessel Names:No Vessel Name Changes Previous Vessel Owners:WAYNE C. HILL
    WAYNE C. HILL

(3 of 4)Vessel Name:ILLAHEE USCG Doc. No.:571470Vessel Service:COMMERCIAL FISHING VESSELIMO Number:*Trade Indicator:FisheryCall Sign:WYC2003Hull Material:FRP (FIBERGLASS)Hull Number:45015Ship Builder:LITTLE HOQUIAM BOAT SHOP INCYear Built:1976
    Length (ft.):40Hailing Port:SITKA AKHull Depth (ft.):7Owner:ADAM C HACKETT
    BAMDORSHN ISLAND 500 LINCOLN #B4
    SITKA, AK 99835Hull Breadth (ft.):13.2Gross Tonnage:26Net Tonnage:20Documentation Issuance Date:March 29, 2011Documentation Expiration Date:April 30, 2012Previous Vessel Names:No Vessel Name Changes Previous Vessel Owners:ADAM C HACKETT
    NORMAN RALPH GUTHRIE JR

(4 of 4)Vessel Name:ILLAHEE USCG Doc. No.:906890Vessel Service:RECREATIONALIMO Number:*Trade Indicator:RecreationalCall Sign:WAZ3596Hull Material:WOODHull Number:*Ship Builder:*Year Built:*
    Length (ft.):46Hailing Port:NEWPORT BEACH CAHull Depth (ft.):9.5Owner:JOHN N BROWN PRIMARY TRUST DATED 12-4-98
    1329 SUSSEX LN
    NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92660Hull Breadth (ft.):13Gross Tonnage:28Net Tonnage:25Documentation Issuance Date:July 07, 2010Documentation Expiration Date:July 31, 2011Previous Vessel Names:No Vessel Name Changes Previous Vessel Owners:JOHN N BROWN PRIMARY TRUST DATED 12-4-98
    CLARK FERNON

The last one looks possible.

You know what, I used to see a ketch that fits your bill almost exactly for years in Seattle. It was berthed on the north side of the ship canal between the Sound and Lake Union. I want to say it was just under the north terminus of the Ballard Bridge on the west side. Could be wrong, but maybe some local denizens of the area could confirm/deny. Good luck. I should add that I haven't lived in Seattle for almost ten years so much may have changed.
    Chuck Hancock

Thanks guys! I didn't think to check the Coast Guard documentation service online. That's a great idea and thank you very much for your efforts.

I agree the last one on the list looks like it may be a possible hit. I will drop them a note. The boat is definitely noticeable. That carved raven under the bowsprit is spectacular. The beak of the raven looked to be gold leaf and the the way the wings folded back along the sides of the hull was done very well and with great skill by the carvers whomever they were. I will keep checking back here, and also post if I have any success. Thanks again for your comments and help. .......Martin

Here's the specific link to the search function:

https://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/Coa...selByName.html

Bump! ...........still looking. So far nothing yet. Thanks guys!

I was a live-aboard on Illahee from the late 70's into 1982 in Marina Del Rey, California. She was spectacular with her black hull, beautiful gold-leaf raven and the impressive angle of the bowsprit. Her main saloon had red velvet and throughout the interior were carvings and stained glass depicting the migration of the Peruian Indians up the west coast to B.C. - so we were told. Great stories. Has she been located?

Marty, this is my first post here as well. I know where ILLAHEE is at, I am currently in talks with the owner to transfer title. If you remember her in her days of glory, you would not want to see her now. She has been severely neglected and the raven has gone missing. I'd tell you where she's at, but I am still in negotiations for the boat. If I end up with the boat, I'll let you know, but like I said you may want to wait until she's been to the beauty shop. Albert Seidl is still alive, and I am hoping he has pattern for the raven because I intend to replace it. I said I would never own a wooden boat, but there is too much history with this one. In her current state, I feel she is repairable, but if she's left for a few more years without attention in the water she will likely be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Yfoiler View Post
    Hello everyone,
    This is my first post on the forum and I hope I put it in the right place. I have a query... I am looking for the whereabouts of a beautiful wooden ketch that I lost track of way back in the late 1980's when I was living aboard my Rawson 30 in Ventura Harbor, CA. She is a 45' LOD William Garden ketch named Illahee (or ILLAHEE may have been renamed). It was built by a gentleman by the name of Al Seidel in the Vancouver, BC area of the Pacific Northwest back in 1968 (with the help of a construction grant to Native Americans). If she was renamed there is still a way to find her. She has the most beautiful huge black raven carved under the bowsprit with the wings unfolded back along sides the hull. By posting here I am hoping perhaps I can find out where she is. One of her past owners sailed her to Mexico, then on to Hawaii, then back to the USA where she was finally sold. He then moved to Guam and started a sport fishing business. I have been in contact with him but he does not know where Illahee ended up either. Thanks in advance to anyone that may know her whereabouts..

Fair winds...

Marty Tryon
    San Diego, CA

s/v circumnavigator Rawson 30 "La Cabriole"
    s/v Rainbow (Morgan Classic 41)
    s/v Break Away (Ferrier 24 Trimaran)

Thanks for the update. Good luck with her, keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    Thanks for the update. Good luck with her, keep us posted.
    For those interested in the whereabouts of the 45 foot William Garden ketch ILLAHEE built by Albert Siedl I have sad news. She was listed on Craigslist in San Diego several weeks ago. I inquired and had been in contact with the current owner and communication stopped. Today, I see a Craigslist ad and he has disassembled the boat and is parting it out. Sad day for me, I was becoming emotionally attached her and had been establishing a rebuild schedule in my mind. Anyone knowing the boat and want some piece of memorabilia, if you read this soon enough here is the ad.
    https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...466588789.html

I am sorry.
    Don't give up on the dream of a classic boat. Patience and prudence can get you sailing without breaking the bank or your heart.