Thread: Teak Tahiti ketch TOREA for sale $9,000.00 or best offer

Default Teak Tahiti ketch TOREA for sale $9,000.00 or best offer

Last edited by headonz; 04-06-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Default Re: Teak Tahiti ketch TOREA for sale $9,000.00 or best offer

Very cool......

Hmm...

I have $9,000 in the bank right now...

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release June 2014.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

carefull....., 1962.... lots'a fresh "teak cleaner " chemical evident.
    Too many pics of the" pretties for you".
    Boat does not appear to have a lotta miles.
    The few pics of engine, show lack o maintainance.

She looks like she's been sitting, and not necessarily getting a gob of attention lately. If the hull passes muster though, would make a heck of a deal though.

Hmmm
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Hey, that's Jamie White's boat I think. A very professional rigger I worked with years ago on the Lady Washington and a poster on this forum. I'm willing to bet she's been very well maintained till he went south
    Murphy was an optimist

He went south without his boat? I thought the purpose of the Tahiti ketch was to go south...
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Tahiti ketches are hard to sell. There was a very solid one in Oyster Bay for $10k, then maybe less. In the end it was donated to a museum. They were designed for ocean cruising shorthanded.

....and slowly.

They're just under-rigged that's all. Increase the size of the sail plan and it will be a different boat.

carefull....., 1962.... lots'a fresh "teak cleaner " chemical evident.
    Too many pics of the" pretties for you".
    Boat does not appear to have a lotta miles.
    The few pics of engine, show lack o maintainance
    Thanks for the warning! I suspect it wouldn't scare me away, though. What WILL scare me away is my wife's reaction when she notices our house repair fund has disappeared, coincidentally at the same time that a large boat has showed up in our driveway.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release June 2014.

Tim,

I think YOU should buy it. After all, twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do.

Tom

LOL. Actually the idea of simply buying a boat somewhere warm and going TO the boat instead of bringing the boat to me is getting more and more appealing. I have been not living up to my mantra for way too long.

Tim,

I still say go for it! Of course, you'll probably want someone to live aboard and do basic maintainence on the boat while it waits for you in that warm place. Maybe someone who would sail it from time to time as well as live aboard--old wooden boats last longer with regular use.

I might be able to think of someone like that...

Tom

Yeah Tom , me too

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    I thought the purpose of the Tahiti ketch was to go south...
    I thought they were designed to go to Tahiti..

Who'd be mad enough to go South?

Buy it, so what if it's slow. If you're in a hurry you should get a plane ticket.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

"recieved an excellent repacement YANMAR Diesel engine (which is in place; but, not yet fully installed)"

...from the main page for the listing. No one is going to know actual condition without actually going to look at it and poking around. I'm sure it needs work...what wood boat doesn't? Or any boat for that matter.

B-O-A-T = break out another thousand

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK View Post
    I thought they were designed to go to Tahiti..
    There is something south of Tahiti ?!?

The Cook Islands?

You guys would really be surprised if I suddenly went down there and purchased this boat, then proceeded to sail around the Pacific wouldn't you...

Bet you don't.

It's a nice looking boat with a lot of recent upgrades. There's nothing better than teak planking, but on oak? I think not. A tropical hardwood like iroko or ipol would be far better since it resists decay as well as teak. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

The Tahiti ketch, as much recognition as it may have received, is still, after all, a throw back to the age when shorthanded blue water cruiser designs were in short supply. Hanna sold the plans for home builders and many did. There's a lot of variation in quality. I know of few, if any, that were ever built by professional yards. You'd find many alternate contemporary designs, such at Atkin's "Eric" or "Ingrid" designs that are much nicer and much better sailers. The Tahiti's are real "crab crushers," heavily built. Heavy scantlings do not necessarily mean a better boat, just a heavier one. There's a reason Tahiti ketches are going for as little as they do (and always did). Putting more sail on them doesn't really make them any faster, it just makes them tender. This one may be trimmed out to look nice, but it's quite likely a case of "lipstick on a pig." In today's market there are most likely lots of better boats to put your time and money into than a home-built design that never sailed very well to begin with. Teak decks do not a good boat make. If you want a Tahiti ketch, this may be one of the very best around... if that's what you want, but ask yourself, when it comes time for you to sell her, do you want people commenting on how cheaply she's being offered? There's a reason she's listed for $9,000.

Ingrid is a better sailor than Tahiti? Amazing!!
    Ingrid is a better designed boat than Tahiti?? Who ever heard of such a thing!!!
    Ingrid is better looking than Tahiti??? well, now I've heard it all.
    ( just kidding Bob, Tim knows what I'm saying)

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Ingrid is a better sailor than Tahiti? Amazing!!
    Ingrid is a better designed boat than Tahiti?? Who ever heard of such a thing!!!
    Ingrid is better looking than Tahiti??? well, now I've heard it all.
    ( just kidding Bob, Tim knows what I'm saying)
    Did anyone ever go look at the Tahiti ketch, it must have sold? Any follow up?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    It's a nice looking boat with a lot of recent upgrades. There's nothing better than teak planking, but on oak? I think not. A tropical hardwood like iroko or ipol would be far better since it resists decay as well as teak. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

The Tahiti ketch, as much recognition as it may have received, is still, after all, a throw back to the age when shorthanded blue water cruiser designs were in short supply. Hanna sold the plans for home builders and many did. There's a lot of variation in quality. I know of few, if any, that were ever built by professional yards. You'd find many alternate contemporary designs, such at Atkin's "Eric" or "Ingrid" designs that are much nicer and much better sailers. The Tahiti's are real "crab crushers," heavily built. Heavy scantlings do not necessarily mean a better boat, just a heavier one. There's a reason Tahiti ketches are going for as little as they do (and always did). Putting more sail on them doesn't really make them any faster, it just makes them tender. This one may be trimmed out to look nice, but it's quite likely a case of "lipstick on a pig." In today's market there are most likely lots of better boats to put your time and money into than a home-built design that never sailed very well to begin with. Teak decks do not a good boat make. If you want a Tahiti ketch, this may be one of the very best around... if that's what you want, but ask yourself, when it comes time for you to sell her, do you want people commenting on how cheaply she's being offered? There's a reason she's listed for $9,000.

I was rebuilding my "Spray" while Jaime was rebuilding this Ketch right adjacent to me in the yard. The frames were all replaced with oak because the originals purple/dark brown mystery wood, was full of rotted sapwood that the owner previous to Jaime had filled with bondo and painted. He had to 100% reframe her and his project took years rather than the months he had expected. Her rigging hardware was young and way oversized top of the line stainless which he pointed out, was why he bought her (Jaime knows a things or two about rigging).

Check out the dates of this post. She is still berthed here in San Rafael a few docks away from me but I believe she was sold a couple years ago. I came very close to buying her myself but at the last minute decided against it. She is beautiful. Still is!

A very nice boat. At the price, and given the provenance, I would buy sight unseen.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

An update for all you admiring the Tahiti Ketch. This morning I spoke to a fellow liveaboard who is/was berthed next to this boat. She has been sold and maybe be berthed in Alameda now. When I was aboard her she needed her engine installed and a complete interior built. Having said that, she was owned by a Master Rigger and it showed. Lust on fellows....

If that is Jamie's boat then here is link to his page on the rebuild:
    http://thesquarerigger.com/torea_reborn.html
    This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
    E. Cayce