Thread: Glue to stick to poly-tarp

Default Glue to stick to poly-tarp

I realize that the idea of polytarp sails is an anathema to right thinking boatmen, but if the choice is no sails, or a polytarp sail because of money, then a polytarp sails beats out no sails at all.

That said, I have never been able to find any type of adhesive that can stick to the plastic used in polytarp. That is also why my interest was piqued by the posting on Kevin Kelley's Cool-Tools blog today of the adhesive "Hilltronix H-200" (yes it comes in white) being compatible with polytarp.

http://www.hilltronix.net/index.php?...tshow&ref=H200

Does anybody here have experience with this adhesive (or any adhesive) that sticks to Polytarp?

Default Re: Glue to stick to poly-tarp

Nope but I'd guess that some of the glues for PVC fittings might work -- might melt the tarp material, too.

What do the polytarp sail websites recommend?
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

There are tapes for joining polytarp, and some two-sided tapes as well. In general, the material does not dissolve with solvent-based glues, hence adhesives are limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    hence adhesives are limited.
    betcha 5200 would stick
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

maybe rubber cement

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    betcha 5200 would stick
    Betcha it won't! I've actually tried it for gluing hard plastic locking frames to dry bag plastic, and it failed miserably.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I thought I heard or read somewhere that hot-melt glue works?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The standard for polytarp sails seems to be double-sided carpet tape (home improvememt stores). Don't try to glue it. The sails would be even worse than usual with lumpy seams. You need to spread the stress out as evenly as possible over as much surface area as possible to get reasonable strength out of the seams.

Quote Originally Posted by brucehallman View Post
    I realize that the idea of polytarp sails is an anathema to right thinking boatmen, but if the choice is no sails, or a polytarp sail because of money, then a polytarp sails beats out no sails at all.

That said, I have never been able to find any type of adhesive that can stick to the plastic used in polytarp. That is also why my interest was piqued by the posting on Kevin Kelley's Cool-Tools blog today of the adhesive "Hilltronix H-200" (yes it comes in white) being compatible with polytarp.

http://www.hilltronix.net/index.php?...tshow&ref=H200

Does anybody here have experience with this adhesive (or any adhesive) that sticks to Polytarp?

There are tarp tapes that will bind your Tarps together! You can even get ones that will match your tarp color! Try www.tarpsplus.com that's where i found my tarp tape. I have a camo tarp but i chose the green poly tarp tape! Good luck

I would try seam stick tape. I've stuck all kinds of stuff together from my left over sail cloth seam stick. And I believe 3M makes a Super seam stick tape. I seem to recall folks have seam stick taped large sails together with no stitching - like spinnakers and things called screechers.

I used clear duct tape.