Thread: Buyer's Remorse in some GOP Governor states

Default Buyer's Remorse in some GOP Governor states

Well, it didn't take long for the bloom to come off the rose... I don't think I can recall a time when so many politicians, recently elected, would out-and-out get hammered if there was such a thing as a 'do-over'. From www.washingtonmonthly.com... ignore the opinion part and concentrate on the polls.

RICK SCOTT'S SUPPORT COLLAPSES IN FLORIDA.... Go figure. A bizarre criminal gets elected governor of Florida, deliberately turns his back on job creation, slashes funding for popular and necessary programs, unveils a plan to "reform" Medicaid that would line his own pockets, and all of a sudden, voters start to feel buyers' remorse.
    You could say Rick Scott's honeymoon is over ... but that would suggest he had one in the first place. A December PPP poll shortly before Scott took office found that only 33% of Florida voters had a favorable opinion of their new Governor to 43% who viewed him negatively. After a few months in office those numbers have only gotten worse -- Scott's approval rating is just 32% while 55% of voters in the state are unhappy with his work so far. [...] Outside of his own party Scott's support is close to nonexistent. [...]

The Florida Governor's race was one of the closest in the country last year with Scott winning by a razor thin margin even in one of the best Republican years ever. If voters got to do it over again today it would be no contest -- Alex Sink leads Scott 56-37 in a hypothetical rematch.
    Before Republicans complain that perhaps the poll leaned Democratic, it's worth noting that this same poll shows Sen. Marco Rubio (R) as the state's most popular politician, and most of the poll's participants said they voted for John McCain in 2008, not Barack Obama.

Scott, in other words, really has seen his support deteriorate to remarkable depths in just a couple of months.

Floridians, don't say you weren't warned. The guy you voted for had one notable accomplishment in his professional life: defrauding taxpayers, getting fired, and narrowly avoiding a criminal indictment. Now he's proving to be a terrible governor, but you really should have seen this coming.

And in the larger context, Scott is part of a new crop of far-right Republican governors, taking the helm in large swing states, and quickly annoying their own constituents. In Michigan, Gov. Rick Snyder (R) has seen his approval rating fall off a cliff, and if voters had it to do over again, they wish they'd elected the Dem.

In Ohio, Gov. John Kasich (R) has seen his support plummet in recent months, a trend bolstered by the latest Quinnipiac poll showing his approval rating down to just 30%.

In Pennsylvania, Gov. Tom Corbett (R) -- the one who's desperate to make brutal cuts to education, while increasing spending on prisons -- hasn't exactly impressed his constituents, either. Last week, a statewide poll found only 31% of Pennsylvanians had a positive impression of his job performance.

Polls in Wisconsin have shown widespread opposition to Gov. Scott Walker's (R) agenda, and if voters had it to do over again, they wish they'd voted for former Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett (D), who lost to Walker by six points in November.

Will this prove relevant in 2012? Time will tell, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does. Republicans scored big wins in 2010, not because the GOP was popular, but because much of the public was dissatisfied with the status quo, and Dems happened to be the dominant majority.

But now those same voters have been reminded exactly why they didn't like Republicans in the first place.
    "Opinions you like, presented to you and others who share your opinions, from someone whose opinion you already know"
    Steven Colbert, commenting on the launch of the Sarah Palin channel

Default Re: Buyer's Remorse in some GOP Governor states

I've had buyers remorse....

Hey! That could be a cool thread!

(kidding aside - this is nasty. Recall coming up?)
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I'm not doubting the sentiment, but it's much easier to lead in the polls, when you lost and haven't done anything.

krugman once said that maybe america had to suffer under republican rule in order to learn what they are

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I'm not doubting the sentiment, but it's much easier to lead in the polls, when you lost and haven't done anything.
    Admittedly true; who knows how their Democratic opponents would have fared, given the budget problems intrinsic to virtually EVERY state in the union. Maybe they would have done worse; intractable problems without easy solutions tarnish everyone who tries to solve them.

The only real significance of this phenomenon, IMHO, is the collapse of the 'conventional wisdom' (i.e., assumed but unproven) that Republicans are inherently better at governing than Democrats. I think we can all give up on THAT particular myth.

And yeah, George, there will certainly be recalls of some Wisconsin legislators (both GOP and Dem)... I'm less sure about governors, though.
    "Opinions you like, presented to you and others who share your opinions, from someone whose opinion you already know"

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Admittedly true; who knows how their Democratic opponents would have fared, given the budget problems intrinsic to virtually EVERY state in the union. Maybe they would have done worse; intractable problems without easy solutions tarnish everyone who tries to solve them.

The only real significance of this phenomenon, IMHO, is the collapse of the 'conventional wisdom' (i.e., assumed but unproven) that Republicans are inherently better at governing than Democrats. I think we can all give up on THAT particular myth.

And yeah, George, there will certainly be recalls of some Wisconsin legislators (both GOP and Dem)... I'm less sure about governors, though.
    republicans are better at getting elected than governing, the dems seem the opposite

The more Americans know about the priorities of some of these right wingers, the more they will turn away from them. It's becoming apparent to many voters that they are trying to divide and conquer primarily for the benefit of the rich.

It's interesting that in Oregon a evenly divided house co-chaired by a Democrat and a Republican are making the fiscal decisions that many citizens view as reasonable. This is a state that already suffered at the hands of right-wing demagogues (one of the ringleaders will likely be convicted of tax evasion) and is now moving back to a more moderate tradition of governing.

Quote Originally Posted by John P Lebens View Post
    The more Americans know about the priorities of some of these right wingers, the more they will turn away from them. It's becoming apparent to many voters that they are trying to divide and conquer primarily for the benefit of the rich.

It's interesting that in Oregon a evenly divided house co-chaired by a Democrat and a Republican are making the fiscal decisions that many citizens view as reasonable. This is a state that already suffered at the hands of right-wing demagogues (one of the ringleaders will likely be convicted of tax evasion) and is now moving back to a more moderate tradition of governing.
    That is encouraging to hear... I wish that would happen in EVERY state.

Truly, the effects of an organized campaign can be overwhelming for those who didn't see it coming.

Maybe they were expecting the Unions to take this laying down? Looks like another serious misunderstimation.

Now where is John W. talking about how the people at LeftForum.org confab 2011 don't have any real influence Michael Moore was there. Trumka promised us "You ain't seen nothing yet" stay tuned kids, the show is just starting according to voices on the far right and far left.

Pain is Nature's way of saying, "Stop doing that!" Once burned, twice shy? Florida, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin. . .they all earned their lessons the hard way.
    I hope it hurts enough for the lesson to sink in properly. I have no pity. None.

But Florida is a special case considering the demographics of Florida with just how old the terrified white senior citizens who bought into the Tea Party's fear-mongering tactics are, many of them may well not live long enough to learn from their errors and make amends. Of course that's assuming they don't all get Raptured on May 21 first.
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

I hope it hurts enough for the lesson to sink in properly. I have no pity. None.
    Now, James, that seems a little harsh!

Please remember that a LOT of us in Wisconsin didn't vote for a Republican governor; we're the ones out collecting recall petition signatures every weekend to fix the OTHER half's mistakes (instead of finishing our boats!).

So, how 'bout it? A little pity for us, at least?

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release June 2014.

The trouble is, the stupider the Republicans become, the lazier and more incompetent the Democrats become, because all they have to be is not-Republicans.

The Democrats got lucky because Obama came along. His two terms are apparently as far ahead as they can look. One of these days the Republicans will come up with someone at the other end of the spectrum from the Chimp and wipe the floor with the Democrats.

The Republican rabble will need to be re-educated a bit to being led by their superiors, i.e. the un-Chimpish Republicans, but that's no big thing. All you have to do is find one, put him in power, and the rabble's worship of power will do the rest. All talk of elitism, rebellion, second amendment remedies, etc. will cease as if by magic and might even be viewed as unpatriotic. You know, like it was under the Chimp.

The Repubs were talking "pedulum" a couple of months ago. The next pendulum swing might more resemble a guillotine.

Moby Nick

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Of course that's assuming they don't all get Raptured on May 21 first.
    Raptured on May 21st??

Did I miss something?

I wonder how many of them have sailboats that wiil be looking lost and lonely at their slips starting may 22nd?

This whole Rapture thing could work out those of us left behind. . . .

I learned this evening that Rick Scott's signed an executive order that all state employees and welfare recipients get drug tested at their expense every three months. This is, of course, already been ruled unconstitutional, but this governor's wife own a drug testing chain.

During my years, I've warned many people of bad things coming their way, and have most frequently been met with the attitude that those things cannot happen here. It's like they believe bad things never happen in this country. Then the things happen and, for a brief moment, they realize these things can happen. Thanks to their short attention span, they then go back into their protective bubble.

It is my great hope that this will rile up enough people to put more dems in place. It would be most interesting to see what a second term of Obama will look like if he is not forced, via filibuster, to compromise.
    The nice thing about atheists is they never knock on your door and try to sell you their product

Okay, Wi-Tom, I guess I do have pity for you. Whydoncha pack up that sail 'n oar boat and bring her out here and get her salty sometime this summer? Take yer mind off just how horrible things are trending there at home.
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

Rick Scott Announces Comprehensive Statewide Response to Criminal Drug Trafficking in Florida...

allahassee, Fla. – Today, Governor Rick Scott announced a statewide law enforcement response for an immediate impact to the criminal distribution and abuse of drugs in Florida. With support from Attorney General Pam Bondi and Florida Department of Law Enforcement Commissioner Gerald Bailey, the comprehensive plan will confront criminal drug trafficking in Florida, including, but not limited to, the criminal distribution of prescription drugs. The Statewide Drug Strike Force will assist local law enforcement agencies by providing intelligence and analytical and investigative support. Commissioner Bailey will serve as the statewide coordinator of the strike force, and local strike teams will be co-led by Florida’s sheriffs and police chiefs.
    Governor Scott directed that $800,000 in unused grant funds be made immediately available for local law enforcement investigative efforts. The funds will go to the local strike teams to support overtime and other expenses. In addition, he directed other agencies under his purview to support the strike force. The Florida Department of Health and the Agency for Health Care Administration will provide regulatory and licensing personnel, and the Department of Business and Professional Regulation Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco will provide sworn investigators.
    Governor Scott also announced the Florida Cabinet’s authorization of the Florida Highway Patrol’s participation, and Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater authorized investigators from the Division of Insurance Fraud to support the strike force.
    Governor Scott’s plan addresses the multiple threats to public health and safety, including pharmaceutical manufacturers, wholesalers, unscrupulous doctors, storefront pill mills masquerading as legitimate health clinics and street corner dealers. Each level provides an opportunity for law enforcement to intervene and stop the illegal flow of drugs into Florida communities.
    “The numbers plainly show that Florida has a serious problem that demands a serious, coordinated law enforcement response,” Governor Scott stated. “Florida’s future is threatened by crimes involving drugs, and our local sheriffs and chiefs simply cannot continue to tackle this mounting issue alone.”
    Members of Florida’s law enforcement community who joined Governor Scott for today’s announcement were:

• Chief Peter Paulding, Gulf Breeze Police Department, and president of the Florida Police Chiefs

• Chief George Turner, Brooksville Police Department

• Assistant Chief Marc Hamlin, Tampa Police Department

• Major Sophie Teague, Tampa Police Department

• Chief Dennis Jones of the Tallahassee Police Department and third vice president for the Florida Police Chiefs Association

• Chief Jim Troiano, High Springs Police Department, and Florida Police Chiefs Association district director

• Chief David Perry, Florida State University Police Department

• Chief Calvin Ross, Florida A&M University Police Department

• Sheriff Harrell Reid, Hamilton County, and president of the Florida Sheriff’s Association

• Sheriff Bob White, Pasco County

• Sheriff Donald Eslinger, Seminole County

• Steve Casey, Florida Sheriff’s Association Executive Director

• Julie Jones, Director of the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

• Buddy Jacobs, State Attorney Association

• Major Donna Lusczynski, Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office

• Dennis Ward, State Attorney for the 16th Judicial Circuit

Background information:

• 98 of the top 100 doctors dispensing oxycodone nationally are in Florida – concentrated in the Miami, Tampa, and Orlando regions.

• 126 million pills of oxycodone are dispensed through Florida pharmacies – most in or near Tampa, Orlando, and Miami regions.

• By far, more oxycodone is dispensed in the state of Florida than in the remaining states combined.

Rick Scott Announces Comprehensive Statewide Response to Criminal Drug Trafficking in Florida...
    I'm sure it's a serious problem.... which explains why he's targeting state employees and welfare recipients. Obviously, the overwhelming majority of drug abuse is concentrated in those two groups, right? Maybe he should add union members, too.

absolutely

radio talk show hosts go to rehab

Oh, I thought we were just posting random stuff about Rick Scott.

There's more at his website.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I learned this evening that Rick Scott's signed an executive order that all state employees and welfare recipients get drug tested at their expense every three months. This is, of course, already been ruled unconstitutional, but this governor's wife own a drug testing chain.

During my years, I've warned many people of bad things coming their way, and have most frequently been met with the attitude that those things cannot happen here. It's like they believe bad things never happen in this country. Then the things happen and, for a brief moment, they realize these things can happen. Thanks to their short attention span, they then go back into their protective bubble.

It is my great hope that this will rile up enough people to put more dems in place. It would be most interesting to see what a second term of Obama will look like if he is not forced, via filibuster, to compromise.
    "When there is an accumulation of money and power into fewer and fewer hands, people with the mentality of gangsters come to the fore. Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" -- Lord Acton
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

earned this evening that Rick Scott's signed an executive order that all state employees and welfare recipients get drug tested at their expense every three months. This is, of course, already been ruled unconstitutional, but this governor's wife own a drug testing chain.
    I've read that the welfare recipients will have to pay, but haven't seen anything, either way, on state employees. Could you post a link?

Seems like the cost is $35.00 a pop.

It should also be noted the the state legislature is responsible for the welfare testing, not the governors executive order.

I've read that the welfare recipients will have to pay, but haven't seen anything, either way, on state employees. Could you post a link?

Seems like the cost is $35.00 a pop.
    Either way, the Supremes ruled arbitrary drug testing unconstitutional, around two decades ago (exceptions only for public safety folks, like cops, etc)

Then again, Republicans don't need no stinkin' judges.... (The judge in Wisconsin who put a restraining order has reiterated her ruling...and Walker is apparently just going to ignore her)

Either way, the Supremes ruled arbitrary drug testing unconstitutional, around two decades ago (exceptions only for public safety folks, like cops, etc)...
    Yeah, I read that too. Wonder how it will work out?

Either way, the Supremes ruled arbitrary drug testing unconstitutional, around two decades ago (exceptions only for public safety folks, like cops, etc)

Then again, Republicans don't need no stinkin' judges.... (The judge in Wisconsin who put a restraining order has reiterated her ruling...and Walker is apparently just going to ignore her)

he is king of wisconsin , she is a mere judge

Yeah, I read that too. Wonder how it will work out?
    Ya never know. The right wing of the Supremes could reverse precedent.

can we compare some republicans to nazi's now?

Back to buyer's remorse theme/thread:
    President Barack Obama’s approval rating and prospects for reelection have plunged to all-time lows in a Quinnipiac University poll released Wednesday.
    Half of the registered voters surveyed for the poll think that the president does not deserve a second term in office, while 41 percent say he does. In another Quinnipiac poll released just four weeks ago, 45 percent said the president did not deserve reelection, while 47 percent said he did.

Okay, Wi-Tom, I guess I do have pity for you. Whydoncha pack up that sail 'n oar boat and bring her out here and get her salty sometime this summer? Take yer mind off just how horrible things are trending there at home.
    That'll be next summer; I hope to launch my Alaska in July, though. Meanwhile, if you want to wash some of the salt OFF your boat, why don't you come on over to the Great Lakes and see what cruising is like with no tides and no need to carry drinking water?

It'll be your last chance to enjoy a summer visit to Wisconsin while Governor Walker is in charge!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release June 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    . . .why don't you come on over to the Great Lakes and see what cruising is like with no tides and no need to carry drinking water?

Tom
    I went sailing out of Chicago once. It was kinda bizarre. The only tall things you could see on the horizon for 360 degrees was Chicago. I'm used to being surrounded by mountain ranges in every direction. Out there on the lake I actually had to look at a compass to figure out which way I was pointing!

The Olympics

And turning around we have the Cascades

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    "When there is an accumulation of money and power into fewer and fewer hands, people with the mentality of gangsters come to the fore. Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" -- Lord Acton
    To bounce this back to Wisconsin, it seems Governor Scott is defying a judge's restraining order and implementing his new law in spite of it.

Question: does anyone go to jail for contempt of court?

I hope so, but I'm not optimistic.
    The nice thing about atheists is they never knock on your door and try to sell you their product

I went sailing out of Chicago once. It was kinda bizarre. The only tall things you could see on the horizon for 360 degrees was Chicago.
    You went to the wrong place! No, we don't have mountains, true--but Chicago is not optimal cruising. Try the undeveloped islands of northern Lake Michigan, or the islands of Lake Superior, or the North Channel.

But believe me, next summer I'll be showing up in the PNW asking for advice on where to go for 3-4 weeks of sail/oar cruising. In 2013, I may try the Inside Passage.

Tom

Voters in the cited states are coming to grips with the old saying "be careful of what you wish for, you might get it".
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against every Republican, for every office, at every level. Be patriotic.