Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • auscruisertom
    • Mar 2011

Can annyone provide info on BEN BOW built Huntington USA1929

Yea Gods I must be crazy. She is regsiterd as BEN Bow a 28 foot Atkin built in Huntington 1929 yellow pine and 21mm cedar planks,steamed white oak ribs,galv nails and bolts.Additional features 61 liter copper fuel tank,teak decks and that huge Ben Bow wooden mast, cutter rigged.

CHEERS Tom
  • dredbob
    dis-Member
    • Oct 2004

Re: Can annyone provide info on BEN BOW built Huntington USA1929

Ben Bow is described in pretty good detail in William Atkin's book _Of Yachts and Men_, published in 1949.

Nothing like getting your information straight from the master himself.

Bob

Comment

• auscruisertom
      • Mar 2011

Re: Can annyone provide info on BEN BOW built Huntington USA1929

Thanks for the reply Bob, I dont have that book and most info on the Ben Bow I found on the net. The details on this boat are scarce ,or the seller is unwilling to divulge them
      I have sighted a 5 year old survey which does mention deck leaks,and one plank having been replaced.
      Question: Given as I will be able to repair and chase rot myself,and assuming the hull does not require a total rebuild will I find myself running out of underwater epoxi,due to the age of vessel if I venture offshore . Hoping to do more sailing than bailing
      CHEERS TOM
      Last edited by auscruisertom; 03-26-2011, 12:00 AM. Reason: ad another sentence

Comment

• dredbob
        dis-Member
        • Oct 2004

You say your boat was built in 1929? That sounds like it may be the original Ben Bow described in the book. There's about 45 pages dedicated to Ben Bow.

Bob

Comment

• auscruisertom
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by dredbob
          You say your boat was built in 1929? That sounds like it may be the original Ben Bow described in the book. There's about 45 pages dedicated to Ben Bow.

Bob
          That was my original thought, hoever today I came across a large coin sized manufacturer plaque it reads Morris Ltd #124461
          Sounds more like an Engiish boatbuilder? Hoping you are more knowledgeable,or computer savy as my lengthy search failed. Thanks

Comment

• J.Madison
            • Mar 2011

I do not think that it is the original ben bow- I did some research on this boat a while back and I remember a thread where a rescue foundation was giving away the original. Here I found it: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...o-right-person. Ben bow is a truly lovely boat. Keep us informed and you know we want pictures!

Comment

Working...