Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a 4 1/2 in angle grinder on wood?

Default Using a 4 1/2 in angle grinder on wood?

I need to remove some decayed wood to do a repair in a confined space (inside a locker, basically) where it is nearly impossible to use a plane and very hard to use a chisel.

I would appreciate thoughts on using an angle ginder with a cut-off wheel in such an application. Most of the 4 1/2 wheels I see seem to be designed for metal. Can they also be used on wood, or are there ones designed just for wood? (I do not want to use one of those things that looks like it is wrapped in chain saw chain.)

I would need to be able to cut as well as do surface grinding (sanding).

Thanks,

Brian

Default Re: Using a 4 1/2 in angle grinder on wood?

If it works use it. There are also little chain saw wheels for those machines. Aggressive but effective with care. I'd think of a scraper first.

Yes.

It basically grinds and burns its way through the wood, but it will cut it neatly.

Just a couple weeks ago, I used an angle grinder with a metal cutting disk to cut out the cabin sole in my sailboat - I cut both plywood and fiberglass/resin with it. Wear hearing protection and a good dust mask, and safety glasses.
    - Bill T.

"How many politically-correct people does it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

"Look, I don't know, but that's not funny."

If you can get a couple of 24 grit discs and put them back to back,with no rubber back up disc,it works pretty well.
    The chainsaw wheels work great too,but the guard must be used to limit the cutting depth and aggression.
    R
    "Now Ron,don't you do anything stupid!" - Grandma B.

There are also very coarse abrasive wheels available.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I just LOVE my 4 1/2" angle grinder sanding machine, fitted with a sander backing pad and 36 grit paper. It is great for making short work of both wood and hardened epoxy. (Be careful as this stuff removes skin very fast too.) You need a rubber sanding pad attachment, like this BOSCH MG0450.

aka "Wood Erasers"...
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Sounds like a Fein saw blade would be better and safer for cutting. I use a disc sander in a 4 1/2 ins. grinder for lots of sanding, shaping, etc.

In confined spaces and wishing to remove surface deacay (i.e. not actually cutting out) I use a Fein Multimaster and a carbide rasp - it will eat it away and has the advantage of dramatically slowing its progress when reaching good wood; a 4 1/2 grinder probably doesn't give that kind of feedback. To tidy up I then use 6ogrit multimaster sanding pad.

Renovation of a Norfolk Broads River Cruiser: http://rcc-corsair.blogspot.com/

any working wooden boatbuilder has an angle grinder grafted to his right hand
    whatever rocks your boat

Maybe this?
    Chuck Thompson

1955 18' Chris Craft Continental
    1950 30' Chris Craft Express
    1955 Concordia Yawl #26 (under restoration)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    any working wooden boatbuilder has an angle grinder grafted to his right hand
    ...and Band-Aids on his left hand.

I do not know how to build or repair a boat without my 4-1/2" grinder! Here is a time lapse video of scarfing plywood with my handy grinder:

The breaks you see me taking are to let the feeling get back to my fingers, lots of vibration.

Dan
    Last edited by Auroradan; 03-14-2011 at 02:35 PM.
    Darwin
    Award
    Nominee

Sure, go ahead and use one. Just be aware that they can do a considerable amount of damage to anything in their path if they get even a little out of control. This includes your own living flesh. You also really, really need to wear your safety glasses.
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Sure, go ahead and use one. Just be aware that they can do a considerable amount of damage to anything in their path if they get even a little out of control. This includes your own living flesh. You also really, really need to wear your safety glasses.
    In the tight space you are proposing to use the grinder, I would use goggles. Safety glasses at minimum, but flying crap gets behind them easily. Only get one set of eyes.

Cheers,

Bobby

Isn't the angle grinder Erster's favorite precision tool?
    Steve Martinsen

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    Isn't the angle grinder Erster's favorite precision tool?
    In experienced hands... a grinder can be remarkably precise. Those hands aren't mine. I'm more fascile with a belt sander.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Auroradan View Post
    I do not know how to build or repair a boat without my 4-1/2" grinder! Here is a time lapse video of scarfing plywood with my handy grinder:
    [URL="http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/auroradan/BFD%20Brockway/?action=view&current=Scarfing3sheets02.mp4"]

The breaks you see me taking are to let the feeling get back to my fingers, lots of vibration.

Dan
    What abrasive wheel were you using?

Thanks for the video!
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

If it was vibrating that badly, then (1) I would say something is wrong - mine actually is pretty smooth. The thing that vibrates the most is the knotted wire cup. But a grinding, cutting or sanding disc does not. Check to make sure you've got that wheel properly centered (and that the center hole is the right size for your grinder!) and that the wheel is not damaged or out of round. And (2) that kind of vibration can actually cause a repetitive motion injury, like carpal tunnel syndrome or tendonitis. In short, it's not good for either you or the tool. Check it out and see if you can reduce or eliminate it - it shouldn't vibrate that badly.
    - Bill T.

"How many politically-correct people does it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

"Look, I don't know, but that's not funny."

Belfast and Marshall Cove, Islesboro, Maine

One thing to watch out for is the speed (in revolutions per minute, RPM) that the grinder turns. A lot of dedicated metal-working grinders turn too fast for use with an abrasive disc glued to a soft backing pad, or even a fiber-abrasive disc. When these discs come apart they fling shrapnel with a lot of force.
    Right now I own eight different right angle machines, ranging from a little Bosch DA sander with variable speed, up to a Milwaukee 15 amp welder's grinder that is incredibly powerful, and quite dangerous. My favorites for close-quarters work are variable-speed types with hard pads and type C discs.

I use my 4.5 smallest Makita grinder with the attachments shown below (http://www.amazon.com/Makita-9554NB-...161393&sr=1-14 ). One is a stepped sanding wheel (80 grit) and the most aggressive... the other is a roloc adapter with a two inch sanding pad. The small red pad was $6 at Harbor Freight and screws right on the the 5/8-11 arbor of the grinder.

I use these all the time in fiberglass and wood repair where I need to shape wood. The large deadeyes below were shaped as you see in just a couple minutes as easy as pie using the sanding wheel stepped as shown beside the deadeyes. Just let your wrist swivel and it was very easy.

The smaller roloc 2" sanding pad is for smaller work as you can see I used it to bevel the plywood for the repair of the hole in the hull. The 3M Roloc adapter will allow you to use one inch, two inch, three inch and four inch sanding pads that utilize the Roloc twist on sanding discs.

I have two of the smallest Makita grinders in the Amazon link above... and keep them both with the accessories shown for different jobs. The red 3" sanding pad is velcro for any hook and loop 3" sanding discs... and the stepped sanding wheel is available at Lowes or HD... both just screw on the 5/8-11 grinder arbor. The most aggressive stepped sanding wheel will easily cut through panels if the edge is pushed through.

Good luck,

RodB

Last edited by RodB; 03-15-2011 at 12:05 AM.

I saw some photos on Goodle a couple of years ago where someone had posted about using an angle grinder in place of say, a backsaw. The photos depicted a breasthook and some quarter knees. The jointery was so perfect one could not tell where the lines were except by following the wood grain. I have searched since then and not found the site, but I didn't dream it...I did go out and buy one and I have found them useful, including for precise work. But I don't have enough use of one to get good with it.
    Last edited by davebrown; 03-15-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Donald,
    It's a Harbor Freight Carbide cup wheel:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...eel-66613.html
    The sawdust it makes looks like what a Chain saw makes, very aggressive! Surly would mean a trip to the ER if it caught my skin.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
    What abrasive wheel were you using?

Thanks for the video!
    Darwin
    Award
    Nominee

It's not really vibrating badly, my hands naturally go numb after holding a tool for extended periods of time. I do alot of metal works and most days I have a 4-1/2" grinder in my hands. No matter what grinding wheel I use, hands still get numb.
    While cutting the scarfs, I did have a stronger than normal grip on the tool. Needed to so I would not cut away too much material.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeRust View Post
    If it was vibrating that badly, then (1) I would say something is wrong - mine actually is pretty smooth. The thing that vibrates the most is the knotted wire cup. But a grinding, cutting or sanding disc does not. Check to make sure you've got that wheel properly centered (and that the center hole is the right size for your grinder!) and that the wheel is not damaged or out of round. And (2) that kind of vibration can actually cause a repetitive motion injury, like carpal tunnel syndrome or tendonitis. In short, it's not good for either you or the tool. Check it out and see if you can reduce or eliminate it - it shouldn't vibrate that badly.
    Darwin
    Award
    Nominee

Quote Originally Posted by seo View Post
    One thing to watch out for is the speed (in revolutions per minute, RPM) that the grinder turns. A lot of dedicated metal-working grinders turn too fast for use with an abrasive disc glued to a soft backing pad, or even a fiber-abrasive disc. When these discs come apart they fling shrapnel with a lot of force.
    Right now I own eight different right angle machines, ranging from a little Bosch DA sander with variable speed, up to a Milwaukee 15 amp welder's grinder that is incredibly powerful, and quite dangerous. My favorites for close-quarters work are variable-speed types with hard pads and type C discs.
    As I don't have them luxury grinders with rpm-adjustment, I made myself a little rpm controller to connect between the grinder and power connection/wall socket. Quite handy and not too expensive.
    When you're chewing on life's gristle
    Don't grumble, give a whistle...

The rolock adapter came from Harbor Freight?
    Boatsmith Inc
    We Build Your Dreams
    (561) 744-0855
    www.boatsmithfl.com

The roloc adapter came from Ebay... do a search Roloc 5/8-11 1/4" adapter

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-ROLL-LOCK-HOLD...#ht_1974wt_907

Its solid machined steel witha female 5/8-11 on one end and 1/4-20 on the other

The 3" plastic red hook and loop sanding pad with a metal insert 5/8-11 came from Harbor Freight

I don't know if they still carry them now.

R
    Last edited by RodB; 03-15-2011 at 08:30 AM.

In lieu of a bunch of expensive tools and even scarfing jigs, my angle grinder is standard fare along side of my car keys and empty wallet. Its even my on site mitre moulding tool too and I cut every single piece of trim of compound angles too. Its the only tool I use to cut scarfs in every single sheet of plywood. Most hardware stores carry the rubberized soft backing plate and the discs. I use almost exclusively the 24 grit for cutting rough cuts and use it to clean out areas which I have removed any bad wood. Sure it does not get too close to corners. But the die grinder attachment works for that even though the speed is a bit much for finish work without a steady hand or amateurs afraid of the right tool.

Donald,
    It's a Harbor Freight Carbide cup wheel:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...eel-66613.html
    The sawdust it makes looks like what a Chain saw makes, very aggressive! Surly would mean a trip to the ER if it caught my skin.

Dan
    Thanks Auroradan! I learned something new.

In lieu of a bunch of expensive tools and even scarfing jigs, my angle grinder is standard fare along side of my car keys and empty wallet. Its even my on site mitre moulding tool too and I cut every single piece of trim of compound angles too. Its the only tool I use to cut scarfs in every single sheet of plywood. Most hardware stores carry the rubberized soft backing plate and the discs. I use almost exclusively the 24 grit for cutting rough cuts and use it to clean out areas which I have removed any bad wood. Sure it does not get too close to corners. But the die grinder attachment works for that even though the speed is a bit much for finish work without a steady hand or amateurs afraid of the right tool.
    Erster, thanks for your post. I use several attachments on my grinders but usually not the one you pictured, which I can see will come in handy for specific jobs. I tend to many times take the piece to my small bench belt sander/ disc sander... I always learn something from you. Thanks.

RodB

Round here we call an Angle grinder a "Canvey plane" as they were standard joinery equipment in the GRP yards on Canvey in the 60's & 70's.
    I have several & they are capable of accurate work. The most violent discs i have seen were grizzly discs 16 grit jobs with spiral grooves to shed the dust.
    One day i was grinding GRP on a big hull repair while using one of these on a 9" Hitachi grinder. At the end of the session i put the wheel down on my thigh. Fortunately i had just released the trigger. It being very cold i was wearing long johns, jeans, overalls & an NBC oversuit. That wheel ripped through the lot before it stopped. I had a 4" graze across my thigh that stung quite a bit. That 1700w Hitachi is the one machine that always scares me a little when i use it!
    One other thing, grinders kick up a lot of dust use a good respirator!!!!!

You didn't say what you were patching the rot with. If scarfing in another piece of wood,a plunge router is easily controlled in a confined space and makes chips not dust.

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    Round here we call an Angle grinder a "Canvey plane" as they were standard joinery equipment in the GRP yards on Canvey in the 60's & 70's.
    I have several & they are capable of accurate work. The most violent discs i have seen were grizzly discs 16 grit jobs with spiral grooves to shed the dust.
    One day i was grinding GRP on a big hull repair while using one of these on a 9" Hitachi grinder. At the end of the session i put the wheel down on my thigh. Fortunately i had just released the trigger. It being very cold i was wearing long johns, jeans, overalls & an NBC oversuit. That wheel ripped through the lot before it stopped. I had a 4" graze across my thigh that stung quite a bit. That 1700w Hitachi is the one machine that always scares me a little when i use it!
    One other thing, grinders kick up a lot of dust use a good respirator!!!!!
    Yep, the angle grinder is no toy and it can bite you when you are careless. Some jobs are tough and call for a tool just as tough. I have three of them and have used them to sand gel coat off two keelboats. I also use a 4" one to shape small art work pieces held in one hand. Have learned to wear a glove on that hand though. The 16 grit disc is a bit scary but it can really get into the job when called for. The chainsaw tooth disc is great for hogging out hollows in chair seats and some use them for carving animals from stumps. For that it is at least safer than a chain saw. Like all such tools, use it with respect or it will not respect you.
    Tom L

Thanks for all the info. Yes, I have respirators and eye and hearing protection. There is not enough room in this spot to use a plunge router (or even a regular router or laminate trimmer).

Brian

Aluminum boat builders use a carbide saw blade free hand in their mini grinders to cut out pieces. Very important to remember to always have the blade pulling away from you. had a mate forget this once and caught a kickback in the side of his face. Not pretty. We use mini grinders a lot. with skill they can cut very accurately. They can also cut flesh quickly. We were fitting an interior assembly to a glass hull. The assembly was the complete interior built of Tri-Cell for a 40'sort fisher. We suspended the part above the hull with a pair of gantries and lowered it til touching and marked where it touched and then lifted it back up and ground some. Repeat, repeat, until very close and then mark all the contact edges on the hull, cover with mylar tape, apply thickened slow epoxy and then lower the piece back in. When the epoxy cured we would take the piece back to the shop and finish the veneer and trim and paint and varnish and then bring it back and glue it in. The epoxy squeeze out was sanded off flush and made for a perfect fitting assembly. While grinding and fitting one day, there were 4 of us under the suspended piece grinding away . We had respiraters, goggles and earplugs as there was a LOT of dust and noise. I enede up with the bosch mini grinder which does not have a deadman style switch. Most of my mini grinders have dead man switches as I think they are safer. While repostioning myself with all of the noise and dust I didn't shut off the grinder and set my hand down on it with pressure. OW. I don't like grinders that don't shut off when the trigger is released.
    Boatsmith Inc
    We Build Your Dreams
    (561) 744-0855
    www.boatsmithfl.com

when i'm working in a confined space doing something like this , i always set up a shopvac's hose in the space to suck out the majority of the flying dust as it's being created. it really helps a lot. this is in addition to the mask,shield , goggles, and gloves (you read right-two peices of eye protection)
    Last edited by the_gr8t_waldo; 03-21-2011 at 02:38 PM.

I have used a grinder on wood and it does generate lots of smoke because you are burning through the wood rather than cutting it.
    There are a couple of things I would be concerned about. Firstly if you are cutting any composite boards such as plywood or MDF which are held together by formaldehyde based resins, the fumes and dust particles could be toxic. Unlikely to be a problem unless you are doing this everyday of your life, but its best to use a mask and/or have adequate ventilation. The dust from some types of timber is apparently carcinogenic so possibly burning it doesn't help either. See link: http://www.ubeaut.com.au/badwood.htm
    My main concern about using a cutting disk on wood is the build up of heat due to friction. When cutting metal, heat is carried away by the relative high thermal conductivity of the material and heat is also absorbed by metal particles as they burn and are flung away from the disk. This is not the case with wood. So possibly the disk could heat up excessively, the resin binding the abrasive could soften, and the disk could disintegrate. This is purely speculative but there is no harm ensuring that the disk doesn't rub excessively against the wood and don't bury it so deep that it can't cool properly. I read somewhere about someone who was cutting rubber with an angle grinder. The disk exploded causing him serious head and facial injuries so possibly this is what happened.

This thread has risen from the archives. Some don't seem to appreciate that a grinding wheel intended for metal is a sorry tool for any serious woodwork. What any of the posters that use a mini grinder for woodworking actually use is the sanding attachment with fiber backed grit of 36 and 60 grit with occasional 16 grit for real heavy carving. At one time Klingspor marketed some sanding discs made from their usual cloth backed sandpaper stock. I bought some without knowing that is was only backed with cloth and found it to be an inappropriate application and actually dangerous to use. The edge of the soft disc would invariably catch on something and, at over 10,000 RPM, it could yank the thing out of my hand and do damage to anything in its path. I wrote them about it and got no reply but they did stop selling these discs. A wonderful tool but it is not a toy.

Edit: I much prefer the 4" grinder to the 4 1/2" one for most uses since it is lighter and handier in one hand.
    Tom L

A friend of mine built an entire boat using an angle grinder with 16 grit as the only tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    aka "Wood Erasers"...
    Why mess around right?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Small discs, no problem .
    but I like them spinning at 1000 to 3000 rpm, not 5000 or 8000.
    "Spiral Cool" makes small hard backers."Spiral Cool" being an aftermarket brand name.
    Old 7 inch discs cut down with an old scissor.... they work well..
    a polisher is a different tool than a grinder , speed, or lack of it,here, is a big deal.
    yes, i staged this photo. Also shown are numerous 4 and 5 inch soft backs. The spiral cools have the fins and are flat on the face , and are hard black rubber.
    bruce

One of these bad boys from katools.com should do some damage in a hurry while leaving most of your limbs intact. Google images for chain saw disc.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    "Spiral Cool" makes small hard backers."Spiral Cool" being an aftermarket brand name.
    a polisher is a different tool than a grinder , speed, or lack of it,here, is a big deal.
    .... Also shown are numerous 4 and 5 inch soft backs. The spiral cools have the fins and are flat on the face , and are hard black rubber.
    bruce
    totally agree with wiz here.

A sander/polisher can be a very effective tool in the right hands. But they need to turn around 1000-3000. The speed of the little grinders is just too fast! They are not stable in your hands when used on wood. Very, very dangerous.

http://www.spiralcool.com/45inch.html
    for standard 5/8ths " spindle

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    bruce
    Yes, speed kills!! I recently tried the WIZ suggestion of oversize discs on my small hi speed grinder. They lasted ~ 30 seconds till all of the grit was completely gone. I wonder if these tools can be slowed with say a router speed control?

A sander/polisher can be a very effective tool in the right hands. But they need to turn around 1000-3000. The speed of the little grinders is just too fast! They are not stable in your hands when used on wood. Very, very dangerous.
    I have both the Makita sander polisher ( 1750 rps) and the grinder. I've been using this small Makita grinder for several years for boat repair.... fiberglass and wood. This setup plus a two inch roloc on a small grinder were recommended to me by a pro and have long been part of my tool arsenal. You just need to use a dust mask and good eye protection. The following photo is from my current Tempest daysailer conversion project where I was working Ipe for floor timbers with ease. I added a bevel to the bottom edge and a radius to the top edge in minutes. If you learn the tool and know how to use it safely, its a very valuable tool to have when you need it and control is not a problem, you just need to know your exhaust direction and the forces caused as you work the material. I've used this to shape a laminated tiller and not only did it save me time...but the control and nuance it offers was very nice.

There are some situations where this is a very logical logical tool to use... see post #21 above where we were shaping large oak deadeyes... it saved us so much time in forming a radius on the edges. We had a large sanding belt, edge sander and just about any woodworking tool to make those deadeyes....but the 60 grit sanding disc on the grinder was like shaping soap used on that oak. Naturally, you have to have the eye for shaping objects. The entire cheek of the deadeye had a curve to it like a large M&M...

RodB
    Last edited by RodB; 06-11-2013 at 10:06 PM.

shaping deadeyes with a grinder?
    Rod B that is the wackiest thing I ever heard of, you can't do that!!

What the ___k?

I thought I'd love Bob Albers large edge sander with that long wide belt, but it was too slow... although a very nice tool.

RodB

young fella going a lot of work on building my dad's boat tried using one to trim his toe nails. needless to say he wore a jandal to work for the next week.
    those muli tools look like a good option. the guys who did a lot of paint stripping on a clinker dinghy for me swear by there's
    Zane

Quote Originally Posted by RodB View Post

I really,really enjoy using my right angle grinder(in sanding mode) for all sorts of work around my boat. In fact had I not a right angle grinder I'm not sure I would have ever become a wood butcher....just another wannabe.

But this....this device.... pictured by RodB....well.....I think I'm about to fall in love all over again with my grinder!

Thanks for posting the photo Rod!!

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.