Thread: regulations for "homemade boat"

Default regulations for "homemade boat"

I built a 20' diesel launch and registered it as homemade with the sec. of state. (michigan) This was no problem. I got a Hull ID # and registration #'s. My question... What does a "Homemade" boat need as far as labeling and stuff for the coasties.

Default Re: regulations for "homemade boat"

For personal use or resale? I think once you register it with a state, the CG only looks for safety requirements & equipment, plus immigration/smuggling issues at times. Google "Raw Faith"...
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

A good place to start is the USCG's guidelines for homebuilt boats:
    http://www.uscgboating.org/regulatio...gulations.aspx

You can download it as a pdf file.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    I think once you register it with a state, the CG only looks for safety requirements & equipment, plus immigration/smuggling issues at times. Google "Raw Faith"...
    As far as I know, she had no registration of any kind. Throughout the whole sad saga, that never seemed to become an issue.
    Roger Long

should have been named "misplaced faith "

Downingtown Pa (S/V UTOPIA down in Somer's Point, NJ)

Its funny, I recently found out a past client who kept a dock near me when I was in Rock Hall not only did not register his 28' sailboat, but never switched over the title, in the 4 or 5 years he owned the boat in 2 different states!!!!

Awesome. just awesome.
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

Do not say "home made" - say custom built. That is how the boat world likes it.
    If you say "home made" it makes boat people think you may be a land lubber.

All of the boat rules and laws apply to your "custom built " vessel.
    Some Coast Guard rules:
    Battery box has to have a cover. Must me secured.
    Need a discharge overboard sticker in view from the cockpit. (West Marine item)
    Must have and anchor and rode.
    Must have life vests for each person.
    Must have one fire extinguisher.
    Must have VHF radio to monitor channel 16 when underway.
    Must have name on the transom at least 4 inches high in easy to read text typeface.
    Engine must have proper air venting.
    Fuel tank has to have a 1/2 inch diameter vent.
    Must have gas can labeled "diesel".
    Some states (22 states) require a basic seamanship certificate. ( Two week end course).
    State registration numbers on hull.
    Must have flare gun kit.
    One throwable life ring.
    not required.. but a depth sounder or fishfinder that includes a depth sounder
    is very important to keep your boat out of trouble.
    Also a pole to fend off. (Called a boathook)
    A paddle.
    And one FUN item. A magnet to fish your keys out of the water when you drop them.LOL....lol

I may have left something out but if you take the basic seamanship course they
    give you a copy of the Coast Guard checklist that has about 22 items on it.
    Last edited by donald branscom; 03-01-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Another requirement is that you post pictures of it on the WoodenBoat Forum
    1947 Nordic Folkboat "Nina"

For private use or private sale, you are good to go. Were you to become a business building and selling boats, you would need to comply with capacity ratings and such.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
    ...Must have gas can labeled "diesel"...
    I think you want a diesel can labelled 'diesel' - Yellow can instead of red, IIRC.

I'm not nitpicking, just terribly absent-minded. I'll use any extra visual cues that I can get!

Tom

My understanding of the radio rule is that you do not have to have one on board, but if you do have one, you should be monitoring Channel 16.

Also, the flare gun kit is advised, but what is required is a "visual distress signal," for which an orange flag of a certain size will cover. Some safety kits have a flag and a mirror in them, but no flare. Although for bigger boats, a "nighttime" signal is required. Not sure if a flashlight suffices here.

Required also is a sound signaling device, which is to say a whistle or air horn.

I'm not suggesting everyone should go with the minimum. I certainly don't.

One curious requirement to me is the battery box. I just bought an AGM. I can put it in a box, but the box will serve no real purpose. I'd say that rule needs to be updated.

One curious requirement to me is the battery box. I just bought an AGM. I can put it in a box, but the box will serve no real purpose. I'd say that rule needs to be updated.
    That ABYC rule is intended to prevent sparks or arcing were someone to, say, drop a tool across the battery terminal posts. Doesn't have to actually be in a box--but the positive terminal must be covered and battery must be secured so as to resist a "75-pond force from the side" (IIRC).

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Interesting. The boat I just bought has the battery in a compartment not a lot bigger than a battery box, but the last surveyor said that's not adequate. The plastic box is needed, too.

Cut and paste this link in your browser for battery box install regs:

bluesea.com/files/resources/instructions/Battery_Boxes.pdf

Kevin

Kevin -- Thanks. So in my case, a boot over the hot terminal meets the requirement. The battery does have a hold-down strap, and there are no fuel lines nearby. (And actually, this is a production boat and it was built this way. It doesn't appear to have ever had a battery box.)

Wox--My ABYC studies aren't up to date; they are about two years old. But yes, AFAIK, a boot satisfies the requirement.

I see lots of production boats with no hold down. Personally, I like a pair of threaded rods either side of thebattery, tapped into aluminum plate that's been screwed into the boat/bilge/battery area. An aluminum bar, drilled to fit over these rods, slides down atop the battery betweenthe terminals. A pair of nuts secures the battery super-tight. You can purchase these arrangements, though I made mine after first seeing one years back.

Kevin