Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1120212231 ... LastLast

Thread: Following the Pied Piper.

Default Re: Following the Pied Piper.

Douglas Adams could have answered that but unfortunately he's no longer with us.

Rick

I was wondering whether it was the 42nd Piedy completed, or the 42nd set of plans. Whatever, I'm a big fan of Douglas Adams so its actually a name I could live with, unlike a lot of the class whose names are either excessively boastful or very childish (in my opinion, not that it counts for much).

Andy
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Hi Graeme
    Thanks for the keel update and the suggestion of the 8.8. Unfortunately the latter is a bit rich for my financial resources - anyone else familiar with that problem? There's no rush so I'll keep looking for a 25.

Hey Ray
    cos it's "the answer to life the universe and everything". - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy. Nice boat - just a small crack across the coach roof just aft of the mast and some paint peeling on the hull below the stbd runner block. The paint job was done some time ago.
    Keith

Hey Keith, thanks for pointing out a couple of flaws - it makes last nights decision a bit easier.

We had a long discussion last night and it was decided that we need to not get carried away by a pretty boat up for sale and just stick to the plan. I've got a couple of car restorations that I need to finish before any other distractions come along so I better set to.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Priorities, priorities.

I'd have been as jealous as hell if you'd got in the water before me anyway, Andy.

I've got at least four days off ahead of me, so I should be able to finish coat the toerails & build the transom in that time. And turn the keel over & start the other side.
    Last edited by Candyfloss; 05-09-2012 at 12:09 AM.
    Keep It Simple: KISS it better.

Good on you Salti. Let me know if you have any luck. I'd love to come up & see her when you find her.

Tell you what Keith, it might be worth giving David Peet in Tauranga a ring & see if he knows where Candyfloss is. The guys I sold her to way back then were pretty old, they must have reached their use-by date by now. His number should still be 07 5788181. Tell him Butch sent you.
    Last edited by Candyfloss; 05-09-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Paint finished pic. Toerail;

Paul G. is otherwise occupied at the moment, but he sent his apologies & this link;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=806JqLVh4kM

Quote Originally Posted by Candyfloss View Post
    Paul G. is otherwise occupied at the moment, but he sent his apologies & this link;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=806JqLVh4kM
    Thanks for the link Graeme, he's done a lovely job of the rebuild and it's particularly interesting to see the hull repairs!!!

But Pavo? Makes me think she must sail like a sick dog....but on the upside, I guess sailing and wooden boats are somewhat viral.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I got the story of Paul's mooring from Daniel, the skipper of the Beale. Whether or not it was the right story I'm not sure, but what I was told isn't an easily repeatable trick.

I don't know Paul very well but Daniel is a mutual friend and we all live within a couple of hundred metres of each other. That rebuild of his is an amazing amount of work and really well done, I'll have to have a snoop round in the kayak next time the weather allows.

It's a hell of a name ain't it Greg. Google's best explanation is a Southern constellation with the Latin name for the peacock.

It certainly looked like a hell of a lot of work to me Andy.

Good on you Salti. Let me know if you have any luck. I'd love to come up & see her when you find her.

Tell you what Keith, it might be worth giving David Peet in Tauranga a ring & see if he knows where Candyfloss is. The guys I sold her to way back then were pretty old, they must have reached their use-by date by now. His number should still be 07 5788181. Tell him Butch sent you.
    Hi Graeme. Much appreciate the number. David sends regards. We had a chat about 25's and also the 28 - I gather the hard chine keeler sails well and I've been having a look at one on Trademe - not so pretty but a nice yacht. Very interesting stuff. Anyway we are pursuing a couple of the 25's and I'll keep you posted.

Hi - I've been following your thread on and off for the last 6 months. I owned Nivana which broke it's mooring and came up on the rocks at Mount Maunganui. It's quite a mess and is headed for landfill. Anyway, I've pulled a bunch of bits and pieces of it - including the rig. The keel is coming off today - i'm planning to scrap it unless someone is keen. Would need to let me know asap. It's too big for me to move.

Trying to recoup some of the costs - so if you or anyone else is interested in the rig or anything else let me know and make a charitable offer : ( PM me and I'll send you my mobile number.

I love the piedy's - yours looks stunning by the way.

Cheers..

Yeah Salti, the Townson 28 wasn't one of Des' prettiest boats I agree, but then I don't think anyone ever tried very hard to make it the prettiest either. Nonetheless, they certainly sail like a Townson boat & you should be able to find one to fit your budget. And it's very roomy.

Having said that, the 25 is a very pretty boat & if I had a choice I know which I would choose.
    Last edited by Candyfloss; 05-11-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Kim, I'm so sorry to hear that. Another Piedy gone & there are two boats I know of that need a new keel, but I don't think their owners are all that fussed.

You put it in a landfill? There's two grands worth of lead in there mate.

If this had to happen, I wish it had happened a year ago & I would have had your stemhead fitting off you at almost any price, but my anchor locker makes it impossible to get the existing chainplate off & the new fitting on without major surgery & I just don't want to do that now. I'll live with what I've got.

So what fittings do you have? If you put them on TradeMe please let me know. I need the complete mainsheet/traveller system & any number of blocks & cleats.

Good luck with whatever you do next.
    Last edited by Candyfloss; 05-11-2012 at 01:45 AM.

Took off the masking this morning & here's the view from the "seats of ease";

The picture flatters the paint job I assure you, but it's not tooo bad.

Then, having finished painting inside, I glued on the bunk rails I had prepared earlier while you lot thought I was slacking around;

And up in the heads area;

Then to get ready for the Great Turning Over I made & fitted this sort-of-false-keelson to the keel so the digger can get a strop under something to lift it with;

I'll need it also when it comes time to take the keel outside & sit the boat on top of it. What a great day that'll be!!

Then I milled some timber & got started on the transom;

Last edited by Candyfloss; 05-11-2012 at 01:22 AM.

What? You're turning the boat over - for what?

Rick

It's easier to roll on the antifoul.

Now if only I had thought of that back in the day when I had a twin keel Variant - would have been much easier to get at the tickly bits under the keels at the hull!

I think my choice of 25 or 28 may well be the same as yours but so far no luck with a 25. Whisp's owner has a son who has dibs on the boat when dad wants to retire from sailing (not any time soon by the sunds of it.

This piedy of yours is turning into a work of art bit by loving bit - great photos - keep them coming.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by salt stains View Post
    I think my choice of 25 or 28 may well be the same as yours but so far no luck with a 25.

Keith
    There's a Townson 25 on a mooring at Westhaven looking very neglected, it could be worth phoning the Westhaven Marina office and asking to be put in touch with the owner. Its on one of the most SW swing moorings, just off the walkway to X loading. I know of another T25 that might be coming up for sale sometime in the next year, but I'll keep that quiet until the owner decides one way or another.
    cheers
    John

I remember seeing that boat. I almost cried. Isn't there one behind the wavewall in the Basin?

Keith, the only other PP I can remember in Tauranga was when Richard...... damn I've forgotten his second name, David Peet's apprentice at the time, restored "Madness".

No sooner said than done.

Fitted & glued the framing around the cockpit opening & cut a bit of 6mm ply to fill the gap;

Then glued the rest of the framing inside. (Note the lovely little internal corners);

Then glued another layer of 6mm ply over the inside;

Now the real work begins.

I was losing sleep last night worrying about this. Nothing I did, not my fault, 'cept maybe for willful ignorance, but when I layed a batten over the decks at the transom yesterday to get a nice curve for the transom camber, it came up with a most disturbing shape. Further investigation revealed that the hull topside, that is the distance from the bottom corner of the transom to the deck, on the port side was 15mm higher than on the stbd side. No wonder I had so much difficulty getting the sheerline aft even remotely similar both sides.

Nothing for it but to press on & make the best I can of it.

So out with the powerplane this morning & carve away the excess on the transom top to some kind of acceptable shape, then put the trimmer bit in the router & follow 'round the framing for the outboard cutout & round off the corners;

Also grind a rebate for the 'glass on the outside & cove the inside.

I think I'll get away with it.

Just stick your outboard fuel can on the port side and it'll look level in the water Graeme, a blind man on a galloping horse would be pleased to see it.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Indeed he would Greg, indeed he would.

A long while back, after I first fitted the toerails, I said that that was the first time since I bought the boat I felt safe walking 'round my side decks. What? 18mm of timber makes you feel safe? Well, yes. And today, I sat on the stern deck aft of the traveller beam, & with my new transom installed, I imagined myself fishing, & for the first time since I bought the boat I felt safe. I cannot tell you how much I hated that open transom.

Great Graeme, looks terrific! You know the human face is not symmetrical, and the ancients used to deliberately build in small errors into their work so as not to upset their god. The only one who even knows is you. ......................Well, and us, but we won't tell.

Jeese Graeme,the bloke who built this must have been a bit slippery ..........with the tape measure !!

I was losing sleep last night worrying about this. Nothing I did, not my fault, 'cept maybe for willful ignorance, but when I layed a batten over the decks at the transom yesterday to get a nice curve for the transom camber, it came up with a most disturbing shape. Further investigation revealed that the hull topside, that is the distance from the bottom corner of the transom to the deck, on the port side was 15mm higher than on the stbd side. No wonder I had so much difficulty getting the sheerline aft even remotely similar both sides. Nothing for it but to press on & make the best I can of it.
    I think I'll get away with it.
    A boatbuilder I know well is fond of saying "Lets turn a f**k up into a feature" when dealing with such issues. No one but you will ever see it.

I think his tape measure was a rubber band. Or to be charitable, he was maybe a bit dyslexic.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.
    Last edited by Candyfloss; 05-13-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Hi Graeme. I sent the lead to scrap - 680kg/$1000 of lead! must be 2/3rds of the weight of the boat? I sold the rig on trademe just the other day - got snapped up quite quickly surprisingly. I didn't manage to remove the mainsheet traveler rail/car or the jib sheet travellers - they were in pretty average condition anyway. In terms of deck fittings I have:

- 3 self cleating winches. New zealand made - not sure by who.
    - 2 Stainless steel deck winch brackets (seen these on a few boats - they lift the winches up and out next to the toerail)
    - S/s pulpit
    - 2 x jib sheet blocks for 19mm rail.
    - 4 S/S cleats.
    - 2 Ronstan cam cleats (1 larger, 1 smaller - not sure of exact sizes)
    - Deck mounted pulleys for running back stays
    - S/s halyard pulley deck chainplates x 2 + 3xhalyard blocks.
    - S/s through deck mast bracket
    - S/s rod holder
    - Bronze tiller bracket + tillers x 2.

- Des Townsen piedy bronze stemhead fitting : )

Also have headunit for depth sounder, 2xfusion 7" speakers (new last year), older ships compass, squabs, automatic bilge pump, manual bilge pump.

Sails: Main - in average condition (seems to be 1 size to big for the mast - fits on the first reef). Number 1 cruising jib (good condition but has 4cm x 4cm triangular tear). Number 2 and 3 jibs - poor condition with 20cm tears.

Mercury 9.9hp long shaft 2 stroke + 11l fuel tank + fuel line with s/s through transom fitting - reliable but average condition. Serviced last year.

Any reasonable charitable offers considered - funding goes towards a replacement Piedy! Everything located in Tauranga.

Cheers.

What only 7" fusion speakers ? whats the matter with you? I thought all PP's had 20" speakers
    "Old boats are like teenage girlfriends: there is a certain urgency to their needs & one neglects them at one's peril"

I'll have your manual bilge pump, the two Ronstan camcleats, the jibsheet turning blocks (I take it they come with the car but not the track?) and dammit, I'll have the stemhead fitting too. I may get inspired to fit it one day. P.M. me with a price.

Tell me about the tiller fitting. Does it look like a cow-bell?

Glassed the transom today, two layers of 400gsm biax in the rebate & boatcloth over the lot. After the resin gells, smear bog over everything;

While the gelling thing was happening, I amused myself by finishing the heads. That's right folks, just add water;

And hooked up the sink & the cooker;

What an absolute little ripper of a cooker! Boiled the jug in half the time it takes for the campstove I've been using.
    Last edited by Candyfloss; 05-14-2012 at 01:43 AM.

It's the little things that make a difference in reading about your journey Graeme. That business of making up a mock keelson to lift the keel so that all of the bolts carry the load - pretty smart stuff. The build with the biaxial cloth - so that's how it's done. It's like being in an old fashioned hardware store - odd little gems in dark corners!

You'll be pleased to know that Kerry is bringing Candyfloss out of the water for a couple of weeks for the winter tidy up and to do a few bits and pieces. Apparently the Vire 7 horse two stroke engine is still powering her along!
    Keith