Thread: Chappele crab skiff

Default Chappele crab skiff

I posted this picture in a different thread, and Eddiebou PM'd me with questions about its dimensions. Seems he's building a similar boat. I met the owners last summer, when these pictures were taken, but have no way to contact them. Apparently, they built the boat to lines taken off a Chesapeake crab skiff by Howard Chappelle. I have his books "Boatbuilding", and "American Sailing Craft" but the design is not in either of those.

Maybe someone here has a book with the design and might be willing to provide some dimensions.

Thanks,

Jim

Default Re: Chappele crab skiff

The lines can be found on page 59 of "The Work Boats of Smith Island" by Paula Johnson, copyright, 1997, Johns Hopkins University press, ISBN 0-8018-5484-9

The title of the page is "Smith Island Crabbing Skiff", about 1904, lines taken 1940, H.I. Chapelle & J.L. Appleton.

I'll see if I can scan it at the office tomorrow and post the scan.

Although, as I leaf through the book, Jim's picture posted above looks more like the "Very Small Crab Scrape Bateau" found on page 17 of the same book. I'll scan both tomorrow.

There also is a small publication called Chesapeake Crab Skiffs, or something similar. I believe the Chesapeake Maritime Museum sells it.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    There also is a small publication called Chesapeake Crab Skiffs, or something similar. I believe the Chesapeake Maritime Museum sells it.
    That is a great little book of plans for very little money.

This boat is based on one in the crabbing skiffs book but it's lines have not been published. Howard Chappelle slightly modified a boat he measured and drew these lines. The Smithsonian has these plans available .

Jim, thanks for the pm, I don't recall how I initially saw this picture. I would like to know more about the dimensions of this boat. It certainly does sit low in the water like a scrape. Depending on it's length, I think I might like just a bit more free-board. I don't like a boat with sides that are too high. The problem with scaling down a good looking vessel is, the waves don't scale down with it.
    Was this an issue? Did you ever put the gunwales under?

That can't be it ... the boat in the photo is not a double-ender.

Oh ; yeah .

Lines from the "Work Boats of Smith Island" mentioned above.

This boat is built from plan HIC-303, 18' skiff. Plans are from the ships plan list from Smithsonian Institution, in the unpublished Chapelle collection of yachts and small craft.

It is based on the boat in figure 3 of the CHESAPEAKE BAY CRABBING SKIFFS booklet from CBMM.

Last edited by holzbt; 02-23-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Many thanks to all who showed an interest here. Roger, I was hoping you would run with this, being familiar with the boat. The pictures at the end are particularly good. Thanks again.

Eddie, I hope this answers your questions. I don't think you could get better information anywhere. Good luck and don't forget to post some pictures of your boat now that we're all curious.

Jim

We have started a builder's website of boats of the Delaware Basin, and there is a section on the sharpies/crabbing skiffs. See www.traditionalsmallcraft.com. Mike Wick

Anyone interested in this boat should look at the WB online listings. I was just perusing them and see that he has recently listed it.

Way to find a 7yr old thread!

So beautiful. I love the Chesapeake skiffs. There is just something about them

https://www.woodenboat.com/boats-for...crabbing-skiff

Here is another photo or tow of that boat. One of me at the helm.

Re-naming straits as necessary.

Here is one built by a helicopter pilot down in San Diego. The build was inspired by posts that we all did here on the Forum of the original boat pictured above. It was a very clean build. Mostly ply, very precise epoxy work. IIRC, this was the owner's first build too. I did not have time to go out with the owner. He sent me a few pictures on the water, good looking thing. He built it very fast too, onloy a couple of months. When I took these photos, he had not yet launched.