Thread: Energy 48 redo

Default Energy 48 redo

My Boat Of The Week is a version of the Energy 48. The Energy 48 is/was the Appledore Pod (a 16' rowboat) scaled up 3 times to make a most elegant power cruiser. Reportedly it was quite slippery and considered successful.

So, I like the lines of the Freedom style of canoes and own a 'glass version. The Freedom 17 would scale up to be a bit of a monster but if the stations were placed 32" on centre instead of 12" a hull 45' 4" would be the result. Multiply the breadth and heights by 3 times and the result is very similar to the Energy 48. Add the basic cabin and a small modern diesel and off we go. Seems easy enough....

RonB.

Default Re: Energy 48 redo

I've always appreciated the Energy 48. Never heard or saw anything about it after being featured in Wooden Boat. Presumably the owner(s) have enjoyed it over the years. Wouldn't mind seeing the concept re-appear in some new (or even the old) iteration. Long, small boats fight an uphill battle due to moorage and haulout costs but if you're willing to pay the price of admission (and I am) then they have much to offer in performance, looks, efficiency even if not in interior volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfeet View Post
    I've always appreciated the Energy 48. Never heard or saw anything about it after being featured in Wooden Boat. Presumably the owner(s) have enjoyed it over the years. Wouldn't mind seeing the concept re-appear in some new (or even the old) iteration. Long, small boats fight an uphill battle due to moorage and haulout costs but if you're willing to pay the price of admission (and I am) then they have much to offer in performance, looks, efficiency even if not in interior volume.
    It's on my list, too.
    I spotted it at Martha's Vineyard a couple of years ago. It appeared to be well cared for.

The Energy 48 is an excellent upscale. I couldn't help but flash on this 48 foot "upscale" currently anchored in Morro Bay California. It's had a for sale sign for years now. Not in the same class as the Energy 48, but maybe interesting to a lot of folks. 80K gets it plus rights to the mooring.

That big dory is kinda funky. Good deal if it's in decent shape.

I did some 3am number crunching (in my head, nothing too serious). Looks like a big canoe would weigh in at around 8,000 pounds empty. I was thinking of some bilge keels and a skeg rudder. The whole works would sit nicely on a dual axel car trailer. Summers up here in BC and winters down south. About a 1,000 board feet of cedar and... gotta sell some stuff first!

RonB.

Here's some info on the Eco 48. Good article at the bottom of the page:

http://www.arthuremartin.com/index.p...t&view=section

You might want to review the "Tlingit" tread also:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...18#post2737718

[QUOTE=JimConlin;2876840]It's on my list, too.

Why does this not surprise me! The next thing you'll say is you race Thistles and like to row.

RonB.

I've gotten over thistles.

The Energy 48 as designed was a real roller. They had to put substantial bilge keels on it to make it comfortable enough. I posted a photo of it on the hard some years ago but the search function is so lame i can't find it.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Dave, thanks for the links. Good to see the video as well.
    RGB, I presumed that like most narrow boats, rolling would be an issue.
    Jim C, I think you've got the better solution already! "Now with just a few tweaks, I could......" (well, best to leave that thought alone methinks)

What about Devlin's Blue Fin 48. 2 gallons an hour.

Huge difference between the Energy and the Devlin boat. 30hp Vs 150hp with cruise speeds of 10kts vs 14kts. That extra 4 knots comes with a huge price tag.

40' x 8' and around 6000 lbs ready to cruise. The original plan was to use a 25 HP Volvo diesel inboard for around 10 knot cruising speed, but she may end up with an outboard.

IMG_20150408_164936.jpg

13529101_1210853375621348_594091147299409583_n.jpg

13607050_1211566205550065_6732087618475511393_n.jpg
    http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Huge difference between the Energy and the Devlin boat. 30hp Vs 150hp with cruise speeds of 10kts vs 14kts. That extra 4 knots comes with a huge price tag.

But what is the Devlin consumption at 10 kts. WOT is not mandatory.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    But what is the Devlin consumption at 10 kts. WOT is not mandatory.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fair point. Can not answer it though as i do not know how much power it requires to cruise at 10 knots, it might be significantly more than the Energy given the extra wetted surface area.

The Energy 48 wasn't really designed as much as winged. Up-sizing a rowboat is not exactly science. I really liked both the 16, and loved the story about the Energy 48 in WB, still have the article. But the Appledore isn't even around any more. Despite free plans, at this point nobody seems to have one as I was interested in making a strip version for nostalgia.

Looking at the hull it is really sexy from certain angles, but from pictures I have seen it appears some of that comes from having really sweet lines that are unsustainable so it bulges out a little in the center. Flattens a bit also. Altogether not ideal.

I have been looking at ply displacement and semi displacement hulls, and their more sophisticated and curvy inspirations. This involves bringing a lot of hulls into my CAD and comparing them and it is pretty remarkable how similar the better hulls are over very long periods of time. I can take Devlin, Gartside, White, Bolger (the artist not the box maker), and many others and they all come out very similar. In the larger sizes ply even comes out relatively knuckle free. So I wonder to what extent it is worth going to cedar strips which at that size will involve a lot of glassing to get up to a comparably maintenance free hull to ply. Strip is a great option, it is just so much slower to build, and more expensive. (I can get nice ply in 1/2" and better for about 35 dollars a sheet, not sure how they do it.

And the other point is maybe the Energy 48 is the efficiency outlier. Maybe these conventional hulls are actually better.

There is very little good space on the Energy 48, so you might be able to meet all your needs in a much smaller boat. if it had better hydro; better accommodations, and was cheaper and faster to build. Unfortunately, I don't know what that boat would be. Blue Fin 48 is a lot of boat, and there isn't a Blue Fin 38. And it wouldn't be an Energy 48 either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Fair point. Can not answer it though as i do not know how much power it requires to cruise at 10 knots, it might be significantly more than the Energy given the extra wetted surface area.

"But slow her down to 8-9 knots and the burn rate lowers to well below 2 gph and the range would improve to well over 1,500 nautical miles. What an efficient and beautiful boat this would be to cruise in!"

That 19 is quite a hefty boat, fatter than most canoes, or maybe about the same depending on waterline. But the canoe beam of reference is 14.375% for marathon boats that were dual use camping and racing. That turned out to be even too much for single paddles, and it gets worse at the input levels of double paddles or sliding seat rigs. Still motors won't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    "But slow her down to 8-9 knots and the burn rate lowers to well below 2 gph and the range would improve to well over 1,500 nautical miles. What an efficient and beautiful boat this would be to cruise in!"
    Probably. If your budget can withstand it, its hard to quantify what efficient really is. Running those engines at that low output would not do them any good though.

Doesn't need to be those engines. Or that engine, as they have a single engine option. If you want pure low speed displacement use, and I would, then you can have the same engine you would put in an Energy 48, assuming similar resistance.

My point isn't build a Blue Fin. I have occasionally pondered The E 48, and even if I wanted to do that almost exactly, so much has changed since they built that boat. Even going as close as I could to the Martin Original. Back then you could get the most lovely, furniture grade veneer from the Dean Company for 10 cents a foot. Today, ever since the spotted owl defense, that is a thing of the past. On the other hand, for better or worse, tropical ply is 20 cents a foot (30 years later than the Dean price), for the veneer in a 1/2" sheet. So I pretty much reach for that value. But everyone's local prices vary a lot where boat building is concerned.

So if I was copying something to make into an E 48 style deal. I would copy a modern stitch and glue design, with good hydro, designed for the use in question. Gartside, Devlin, White, have all done them. But by all means have the sheer, displacement, and double ender looks of the E 48. A transom is probably more practical, but so what.

I have been recycling my complete set of wooden boat, up till about 10 years ago. Here are a few ads for the Appledore.
    Attached Images Attached Images