Thread: Square stern canoe plans needed

I am looking for a set of canoe plans for a square stern Restigouche, St John, or James bay Cree style canoe in the 22-28 foot range. Can anyone help me with this request?

All the best
    Jamie
    All the best<br />Jamie

Hi Jamie,
    Just h1t google. I've seen several in that very large range. I didn't save the URLS however

Jules

Originally posted by Jamie Best:
    I am looking for a set of canoe plans for a square stern Restigouche, St John, or James bay Cree style canoe in the 22-28 foot range. Can anyone help me with this request?

All the best
    Jamie

Default Re: Square stern canoe plans needed

did anyone else come up with anything on this? i'm also interested, especially in the cree boats.

Quote Originally Posted by aarongreen123 View Post
    did anyone else come up with anything on this? i'm also interested, especially in the cree boats.
    You are getting very specific and there may not be enough detailed knowledge among us. Have you tried The Wooden Canoe Heritage Association site?

http://forums.wcha.org/index.php?s=

This question pops up every so often over on the WCHA site. And to date not much has been reveiled. Although I haven't seen the question over there for a while so maybe things have changed and someone has a contact.

The only ones I am aware of are those in the book Building a Strip Canoe by Gil Gilpatrick http://gilgilpatrick.com/strip-canoe.html. It's a 19.5 Grand Laker. The plans are just half size station patterns, no offsets or anything, so you'd have to extrapulate a lot. But it's quite doable. And Mr. Gilpatrick is very approachable so you'd have no worries contacting him.

You might contact Rollin Thurlow as he makes a beautiful 20'er but I have no idea if he will sell the plans. He does sell some plans but you might want to talk to him directly and beg...nice guy, you never know he might part with a set. http://www.wooden-canoes.com/plansandkit.htm

This fellow on the Island here (Vancouver Island, BC, Canada) makes a nice 20'er. Again I don't know if he will part with plans but one can always ask. http://www.islandnet.com/~canoes/20ft_freighter.htm

Also try "freighter canoe" in google. Might turn up something with that wording.
    "Take good care of the earth, for it was not given to you by your Grandfathers but loaned to you by your Grandchildren."

Native American Saying.

Most of the boats that show up when you do a search for "Cree Freighter" or similar are actually built by Nor-West Canoes in Quebec (the company logo is a circular sticker on the bow with a moose on it, so they're pretty easy to identify).

http://www.nor-west.ca/html/canots_en.htm

I've always wanted one - even though I really don't know what I'd do with it. Plan-wise, the Grand Laker, 20' Micmac and similar are about as big as I've seen, but really aren't even close to these big guys in scale. Exixting plans for fur trade boats are very different shapes.

Speaking of scale, you almost get the feeling that to a great extent, the bigger boats have simply been scaled-up, as they seem to have very similar visual proportions to the smaller models. Makes me wonder what you would get by doing a bit of up-sizing to known plans and shooting for similar length, beam and depth figures present on existing big boats?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Speaking of scale, you almost get the feeling that to a great extent, the bigger boats have simply been scaled-up, as they seem to have very similar visual proportions to the smaller models. Makes me wonder what you would get by doing a bit of up-sizing to known plans and shooting for similar length, beam and depth figures present on existing big boats?
    From research I did a little back, the Nor-West Canoe company posted by Todd seems to be the only one offering wood/canvas versions. Most First Nations people these days use fiberglass ones. And from similar ones I've seen years ago in Labrador, they could be scaled longer or wider depending on the intended use. You could check the Scott canoe website for measures of their 21' James Bay version.

http://www.scottcanoe.com/1_canoes/jamesbay.html

A great photo taken at Attawapiskat First Nation on the western coast of James Bay

And a link to a photo of one at Moosonee that appears to have a widened design.

www.panoramio.com/photo/10738207
    Last edited by ShagRock; 11-09-2009 at 12:46 AM.

We have a few different styles of 26 footers in our collection. One is a Chestnut but I'm not sure who made the others. Maybe Miller. There is one we are very partial to that draws very little water. I'll try to find out what model it is. Any thoughts to taking lines off an existing boat? There are people in New Brunswick still making these. One up around Plaster Rock. A little searching on the web and you should find him. I've forgotten his name as well.

We used to take lines off of canoes in about an hour. We used one of the stripper strongbacks fitted with U-shaped "stations" every couple of feet and an additional one lengthwise at each end. The stations were made from a cross-wise 1x4 and two vertical uprights and were a few inches wider and taller than the boat's beam and depth. The boat was set upright on the strongback and between the uprights of the stations and carefully leveled and straightened fore and aft. Then we took a bunch of 6" chunks of scrap strips, pointed them on one end and stapled them to the stations with the points touching the hull. We would have a station every 18"-24" and apply the pointer chunks to all of them, as well as one on each end to get the stem profiles. Once done, the hull was lifted out and the stations were carefully removed. They were then aligned, one by one to a baseline and center line on a big sheet of paper and a small dot was made at the tip of each pointer. Connect the dots with a flexible batten and pretty soon you have an accurate cross-section of the hull at that spot. Overlay them on the same sheet of paper and you wind up with what looks an awful lot like the end view and stations on any boat plan. Loft additional details as needed and build the boat.

Here is a small station used to get the hull cross-section for a kayak cradle on a trailer bunk. Same basic process.

if you can't get a batten to bend easily, you can shape a long piece of solder very easily. you'll have to do a little shaping with the solder, but it will work nicely.

I used the lines from Adney and Chapelle for their 4 1/2 fathom north canoe. One as a square back, and 2 as 'V' sterns (leaving the last 6 ft off). Some photos are buried in the WCHA site.
    peter

How about Robb White's Sport Boat

http://www.robbwhite.com/sportboat.html

nice plans nice article...................Tom C

Peter, did you extrapolate the lines directly from the book "The Bark Canoes and Skin Boats of North America" or did you have access to other larger copies of the drawings? I think that the originals are in The Mariner's Museum.
    "Take good care of the earth, for it was not given to you by your Grandfathers but loaned to you by your Grandchildren."

Native American Saying.

I scaled up the lines from the book, transferred them to plywood, mounted them on a strongback, put on stringers (which allowed me to make some minor adjustments), then after some test bends, started to bend on some ribs( the stations are fairly far apart so some temporary support is worth while for the ribs in between the stations). no formal plans required. I can send on a pm with a pdf file of an article in MAIB that I did if you like, which includes a capsule summary of the build and covering.