Thread: Repairing Wilcox Crittenden Manual Bilge Pumps

Default Repairing Wilcox Crittenden Manual Bilge Pumps

Hi, I have several old W-C manual bilge pumps. I'd like to refresh the leathers in the smaller one (1.5" diameter barrel) but can't figure out how to get inside it. The knurled screw on the top seems like it is for a packing gland to keep the top from leaking. Unscrewing it does not allow the plunger to come free.
    Anyone have experience working on these?
    thanks.

Default Re: Repairing Wilcox Crittenden Manual Bilge Pumps

they've got the kit at Hamilton Marine. Its quite easy.... I've been polishing mine. I think it will make the head look that much better.

good luck

The problem with getting the WC pumps apart can be made easier by not being in a hurry. Locking the lower casting in a wood jawed vise will prevent scaring and distortion. Using a wood jawed parallel clamp on the upper portion will often give enough torque to get the pump to come apart. If not, a gentle heating with a propane torch to the upper portion will often help. Soaking the whole works in pentrating oil such as Boschield can help as well. A last restort is to boil the entire pump in fresh water and attempt to unscrew it while it is still hot. If your repair kit does not supply the parts you need, the lower flapper can be made up of oil cured leather, available from the Wooden Boat Foundation in Port Townsend. The piston seal can be made of braided tallow soaked flax packing available from Admiralty Marine supply in Port Townsend.
    Jay

last summer i was given a whole lot of WC bronze tapered thruhulls, the boat was launched in 1975, and they decided to replace them all with ball valves during the refit.....
    Dont have a boat big enough for them but if someone comes a pleading on their knees they are available.
    There's one rich man onboard and there's twentyfive poor men and they enjoy it more then the rich man does -Jim Kilroy when asked if yacht racing is a rich mans sport.

Quote Originally Posted by mike hanyi View Post
    last summer i was given a whole lot of WC bronze tapered thruhulls, the boat was launched in 1975, and they decided to replace them all with ball valves during the refit.....
    Dont have a boat big enough for them but if someone comes a pleading on their knees they are available.

Do I need to post a picture of myself on bended knee or is it enough for me to say that I am on my knees when I say, I am pleading for one, and I am nearby in Stockholm, Sweden!

So the upper and lower castings are threaded into the central tube? I don't mean to sound dense, but I was afraid they might be braised together or something, and I didn't want to crack anything.

Could not find the repair kit listed at Hamilton Marine. Anyone have a part number or a description to search under?
    Thanks for the help,
    Steve

IT is a fine thread... go cautiously,.
    I made a vise block (same as fitting gun barrels) to fit the exact OD of the pipe so that it wouldn't be crushed.
    worked fine after soaking in a penetrating oil for a few weeks.

Like this...

The bicycle tire pump style lift pump we fixed had a leather "valve" and we replaced it with a chunk of scrap leather cut in a circle.