Thread: Camden class sloop building project

Hello America,

We are 2 young (35) swiss boatbuilders trained in England (Lowestoft) and working in France (le Guip) really interested now in building a Camden Class Sloop or a Dark Harbor 17.5 (Crowninshield design).

- does anybody know if a Camden Class Sloop is still existing ? If yes where (location, owner, club, email,...)
    - where can we get some pictures (internet sites, books, magazines,...)?
    - commments about the sailing abilities

We may be coming to your country to see, sail and collect useful information.

Many thanks for your help from the swiss mountains...

Alex and Hubert

Alex and Hubert... You have good taste! (Completely biased opinion... The only reason I'm building the smaller Dark Harbor version is that my garage wasn't big enough to fit the bigger boats!) Not sure if any Camden class boats still exist, though it seems to me that "WoodenBoat" claims one does. There are several of the Dark Harbor 12 1/2 and 17 1/2 still sailing that I'm sure of. Mostly in Maine. (USA) I've got a roll of film in my camera of my project that I took while I had the boat pulled out of the shop to double-check the sheer line before I cut it to it's final shape. I'll send you one once I get 'em scanned into the computer. If you can find a copy, (it's out of print I think, but still available online) there's a book by Diana Eames Esterly called "Early One-Design Sailboats" that has a chapter on the Dark Harbors. Also "Woodenboat" #37 has a write up on all three classes. The Peabody Museum in Salem, Massachusetts has the original Crowninshield records. Good luck with it, hope to hear more about your project!

(PS I've only second-hand information, but all I've heard makes me very optimistic about these boat's sailing qualities. Might be a bit "wet" with the narrow beam and low shear, however...)

[This message has been edited by Art Read (edited 08-29-2001).]

The Museum Small Craft Association Database at Mystic DATABASE lists two, MAYA owned by Maine Maritime Museum MMM and BANDWAGON, owned by Museum of Yachting MOY.

Also you might inquire at Pendletons boatyard PENDLETON

[This message has been edited by trull (edited 08-29-2001).]

HI Art, Hi trull,

Many thanx for your help ! that's great and will help us to go forward...

Art, we are really looking forward to see your pictures. We already ordered the Woodenboat magazine nr 37 (still not received). What do you exactly mean by Crowninshield records ? is it the plan, quantity of boats aso? Doy ou know if the Peabody museum has an Internet site ? We will of course keep you informed about our project )

Trull, thanx for your information. Do you know if these boats, owned by the museums, are on water or inside the museums ? Do you know if these boats are still sailing ?

Talk to you soon

Hubert

Default Re: Camden class sloop building project

Hi Alex and Hubert,

It seems this forum thread is old (19yrs) and it might be unlikely to get any response, but I still wondered if you ever got to build a Camden class boat ?
    I got recently aware of them (and the Dark Harbors) and find 'em quite beautiful.

We can also communicate in Swiss-German

Cheers
    Andreas