Thread: lead for sale on SF craigslist

The headwaters of the Petaluma River and up a hill. ,CA

Default lead for sale on SF craigslist

Apparently this guy has a large supply of 50 lb ingots.
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/2183296090.html

I see others sometimes post ads like this in regard to materials etc on Craigs and it always looks like a good helpful idea so, I posted this one.
    Kerry
    ..don't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes..

Default Re: lead for sale on SF craigslist

Hitting up your friendly neighborhood scrap yard may yield better prices than this. A lot of lead sales seem to be oriented toward reloaders/bullet casters, which has been driving prices to $1 a pound of more for the last 2 years. Buying in quantity may also help you get a better price.

Since one of my other hobbies is the operation of a Linotype machine, the price of typemetal is of concern to me, but the last two major purchases of metal (450 lbs and 1000 pounds) were at roughly 50 cents a pound, so deals can still be had.

Yeah, he is charging a bit much eh? Probably for the time it took him to make nice shaped wee ingots.
    I have seen a few here and there, including being asked personally, people wanting lead lately. Someone may benefit from it. I am sure the guy could be talked down.

I just bought 1100 lbs of lead today so I can chime in with recent prices. I found some dirty lead in small quantities for around 65 cents/lb at one scrap yard but everywhere that had large quantities wanted 85 cents/lb. I ended up with perfectly clean, large (around 100lb) ingots at 85 cents/lb. The guy did tell me that he charges $1/lb for smaller purchases. It can definitely be had cheaper if one wants to hound the tire shops and other usual sources and deal with getting rid of all the metal clips and dirt. A foundry supply company quoted me $1.50/lb for new (or recycled) ingots. for comparison purposes.

This was in Portland, Ore.

I had a couple of ton of the stuff a while ago, and the "friendly neighbourhood" scrap yard were not paying me what we agreed on so I took it all home and ended up making a whole bunch of 25lb handleable blocks for this Mexican dude who would stick them in the trunk of his beefed up ride he was competing with where they jump the front ends as high as they can off the ground.

Well at least I got plenty more for it than the scrapyard would have paid.
    Last edited by floatingkiwi; 01-29-2011 at 06:33 AM.

Hmmm...It seemed to me that the other lead thread had one of our more prominent forumites from the Bay Area interested! LOL