Thread: Every Heard of an Anderson Wooden Boat??

Default Every Heard of an Anderson Wooden Boat??

Hi.

My great Grandfather built Anderson wooden boats in the 1940's and early 50's in Oak Harbor, OH and outside of Detroit. I am trying to find someone out there who has some addition information on these boats. Have not seen to have any luck, but would like to learn more about the heritage of my family and the boat.

Default Re: Every Heard of an Anderson Wooden Boat??

Yes, I have heard of the Anderson boats you are talking about and can point you to a web address that can tell you more. I grew up in the next town over from Oak Harbor, Ohio and I know of a small number of these boats that still exist.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/wiki/im...history001.pdf

I found out about them doing research on a boat I recently bought, called an Oak Harbor. The Oak Harbor boats were built at the same address as the Anderson boat was only later. The Anderson Boat Company went out of business after a catastrophic fire in Dec of '58. I have talked to several people who used to or still do own these boats and I looked at one currently being restored. The boat is built very similar to a Lyman with a lapstrake hull. Anderson Boat Co. made 14 & 16 ft boats.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

I have a 14' Anderson Deluxe boat, interestingly, registered as a 1960 model. The recommended maximum horsepower is 33 hp. The attached URL is for a photo showing it running with a 1948, 33 hp Evinrude Speedifour motor.

http://www.aomci.org/random/Untitled.jpg

Nice looking hull, I reckon It might sail reasonably well too.

I have inherited an Anderson 16' from my Grandfather's estate. It is in need of restoration, but I'd be very thankful if you could point me in the direction of any information on these boats. I want to do it right, and other than this thread, I've never heard anyone talk about Anderson Boats. Your link doesn't work anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by n448sj View Post
    Yes, I have heard of the Anderson boats you are talking about and can point you to a web address that can tell you more. I grew up in the next town over from Oak Harbor, Ohio and I know of a small number of these boats that still exist.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/wiki/im...history001.pdf

I found out about them doing research on a boat I recently bought, called an Oak Harbor. The Oak Harbor boats were built at the same address as the Anderson boat was only later. The Anderson Boat Company went out of business after a catastrophic fire in Dec of '58. I have talked to several people who used to or still do own these boats and I looked at one currently being restored. The boat is built very similar to a Lyman with a lapstrake hull. Anderson Boat Co. made 14 & 16 ft boats.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

I remember going aboard an Anderson ketch about 40' long many yrs back. It was shallow draft with centerboard and built heavy like a Colin Archer...very impressive. The owners were out of Chicago and cruising the Bahamas. I looked long and hard to buy one of these but never saw another. Is this the same Anderson you are talking about?