Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atkins Gretchen

Default Atkins Gretchen

Looking for photos and info. on an Atkins Gretchen. There's one apparently being built, somewhere, probably done by now--the one photo I found is in Duckworks, February 2010 but there's no contact, no location, no nothing. Just a photo of the hull upside down on a strongback.

I think I like this boat.

(Also posted on Duckworks)

Default Re: Atkins Gretchen

You don't tell us which foto you saw before. Was it this one?

forum.woodenboat.com/
    showthrea...rd-Sloops

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Wow, that was fast! I searched this forum but nothing came up.. (?)
    Anyway--really cool boat. I notice the builder maximized the interior space--there are probably quarter berths under there.
    I read the original thread, does anybody know if the builder on the forum?

PS no, that wasn't the photo. The one I saw was being built, just an upside down hull.

Beautiful lines ruined by those hideous leeboards. Would look awesome with a proper keel.

Beautiful leeboards! Makes the boat.
    basil

Gretchen was 18' LOA.
    Later another boat named Helga was designed with an increase in length to 20'2" and a bit more sail area. This was so a small inboard could be installed.
    If you have a copy of WB #27 there is an owners opinion on it.
    One of the Boat Design Quarterly issues had a review on one of them.
    www.atkinboatplans.com

There used to be a Helga around here in the '80"s.
    A Gretchen was sold here last year for $18,000.
    Last edited by goodbasil; 01-22-2011 at 01:13 PM.
    basil

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    Beautiful leeboards! Makes the boat.
    If that boat had a trunk you could name it Dumbo.

Dumbo.

( I think I just wet myself.)
    basil

I have always admired these two. I don't see leeboards as particularly beautiful, but they fit well on some boats including these two. I may be slightly prejudiced as my own boat is a 33 foot LFH Meadowlark with leeboards.
    I found one of these, (a 'Gretchen' I think) looking a little worse for wear in Comox B.C. The hull, deck and cabin were heavily glassed over and the surface had not been smoothed at all. I still might have been willing to approach the owner to see if I could take her over for a small sum, other than I already had a perfectly good boat.
    I think one of these would make a delightful small cruiser.
    JG

I don't have a problem with leeboards but those aren't the most attractively shaped ones--they're right off a dutch botter jacht. I think they could be reshaped a little and look great.

I just ordered the BDQ that had that one in it, I'll probably get the study plans too

I'd love to hear from the guy who built the strip built hull, see how it turned out.

Meanwhile I'll start digging through my old Wooden Boats . . .

Cute as a button, but I've gotta have something to lean back on in the cockpit. And hey, what keeps the coffee cup from sliding overboard?

Not a lot of detail in that sketch, I have a feeling the builder of the one in the photo did some non-atkin approved cockpits mods. I don't have WB #27 (they get pretty spotty around 35, I do have #2, coverless) any chance basil you could give a synopsis?

I've got a shot of a single diagonal, single fore and aft planked Gretchen undergoing a resto' at the Living Boat Trust in Tasmania. I'll dig it out and post it soon. Nice boat but I'd say a slightly deeper keel with a bit of lead down there would make a nicer boat. Lee-boards just look wrong somehow.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Here you go! I think the planking was fastened with resorcinol between skins and screwed to the frames. The stem was being replaced with is a bit of a job since two rabbets must be cut to land the planking. I think they were looking at an in-situ lamination. As you can see the little ship has an offset inboard. She looks to be quite roomy in the cuddy.

Just need to get rid of the lee-boards, but apparently she sails quite smartly to weather.

Edited to add: I do believe that this is the same vessel shown in David G's post #2 above: The savage bracket is the same and the landscape beyond looks suspiciously Tasmanian!!!
    Last edited by Duncan Gibbs; 01-22-2011 at 06:28 AM.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Very cool little boat! Perhaps a redesign of the leeboards are due instead of elimination. The design overall appears quite charming to my eye.
    "You must believe it will happen, or it won't. Believe me, you gotta believe first" Tim Goad

Duncan, great photos!
    Cool boat, too

By george, it's the same darn boat, check the handrails, the bit of trim over the transom, and the fact that judging by the inner hull paint the cockpit seats went all the way up to the gunwhale.. and the outboard bracket ("savage"?? Is that some Tasmanian lingo?)

oh and don't forget the sheet horse--same boat. Gonna be a heck of a job straightening out that hogged keel with nothing but molded skins and glue to work against, ugh. Surgery.

If you are replacing the stem, you might want to consider a solution I found for replacing a sternpost on a double ended cutter. This boat was strip planked.

When I had replaced part of a stem on a traditionally planked boat, once I had let go the fastenings in the stem, and the first few frames the planking could easily be splayed out and the new stem fitted in one piece. Once the stem was in place the planking could be drawn into place and refastened in the new rabbit. If I remember correctly I also replaced the first two steam bent frames.

With the strip planked boat the planking did not splay.....of course, and nor will yours likely splay......this problem I had not considered beforehand. I ended up installing the sternpost in 3 pieces vertically/fore and aft, not as a laminated curve with the joints across the width of the stem. The rabbits were cut in the two outer cheeks. the middle piece was slightly wedged, a few mm thinner on the outside edge than the inside edge. The two cheek pieces were put in place, and the wedged piece was slathered with epoxy and filler and slipped into the slot from inside. As it neared a flush fit, the cheeks were pushed out to fit the strip planking. By the time it was driven home everything was tight. All it took was to refasten and chalk the rabbit, clean and dress and fill to clear up the scars and paint.
    I'll look forward to seeing how you make out, and looking forward to seeing a few photos of you sailing....good luck...

Not my boat Gil, and over two thousand KMs from me down in Tasmania. I'll take some progress shots when I'm down there in a few weeks!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

some comments from the article in WB#27:

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Wow, that's gold. Now I really want one.

Thank you.

I know this is an old thread but I thought members might like to see how Gretchen is today.
    Gretchen has been with the Living Boat Trust in Tasmania for a number of years, I believe she was a gift to the Trust.
    After major work, it went back into the water but wasn't taking up and leaked badly. It went back in the shed have the hull Dynel sheathed.
    Gretchen originally had a small inboard motor which the original Atkins design never had. This has been removed and an outboard bracket fitted (or will be soon).
    The main hold up at the moment is finishing off the interior before we paint her. The removal of the motor and some damaged ribs meant new floors had to be made, the lack of room makes this a one person job. Original fit-out is back in, all mahogany except for a few lost shelves that are being replaced with celery top pine.
    We hope to have her back in the water in the next couple of months, certainly in time for the Australian Wooden Boat Festival in February next year.
    If there's interest, I'll get some more photos taken and get answers to any questions you may have.

Regards
    Geoff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by geoff_s; 06-15-2018 at 07:02 AM.

Thanks for the photos.....

Thanks Geoff, I for one would like to see more of her.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything"

Roosevelt, Theodore

Curious how are you guys securing your bow and stern deck hatches? to prevent them blowing off, washing off or going overboard in the event of a knock down?

I won't be back at the LBT until Tuesday and I'll get some more photos taken then.
    Here's one of the interior fit out showing some of the mahogany used. The bunks have a hinged side not shown. THere's a galley on the starboard side just aft of the bunks. On the port side there's a cupboard. Floors have been made of marine ply and should go in on Tuesday allowing the missing parts (bunk sides, galley, etc) to be fitted. Then a final sand and paint.
    Mast and boom have been scraped and varnished, brass work polished. Not sure if we still have the sails :-)
    Last edited by geoff_s; 06-15-2018 at 07:28 PM.

leeboards are often beautifulDSCN0135.jpg

I found an article about Gretchen in the March 1932 issue of MotorBoating magazine.
    If you don't have a copy handy, here's a link to one in Google Books
    Article starts on page 64.

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=XNwrlDTWjk8C&printsec=frontcover&source=g bs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Curious how are you guys securing your bow and stern deck hatches? to prevent them blowing off, washing off or going overboard in the event of a knock down?
    For the forward hatch, we'll be using these connectors.

connectors.jpg

Not sure about the rear hatch as there is no access underneath.

My job today was to strip the paint off the rudder. This hasn't been done for quite a while, I lost count of the number of layers!
    Looking for a suitable brass strip to run along the trailing edge as there looks to have been one at some point.
    Next week, it's the lee-boards turn to suffer the heat gun and the sander.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff_s View Post
    For the forward hatch, we'll be using these connectors.

connectors.jpg

Not sure about the rear hatch as there is no access underneath.
    Those are nicely made... sure don't make em like the used to these days.

No problem to make the patterns then have them cast then machined.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Here's an update on the current state of the Living Boat Trusts, Gretchen.

http://lbt.rforster.org/about-us/lat...ews/bestinshow

Regards
    GEoff