Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 122122

Thread: The Life of a Clam Digger (1972, Long Island)

Default Re: The Life of a Clam Digger (1972, Long Island)

I didn't know Dave I knew a few northshore guys who fish tiles with him he was well regarded too young

Absolutely taking the clams in the coves especially the bigger clams breaks down chances of future sets. That was the DEC's mantra get the clams out of the uncertified to protect the public all BS it was only about the money. I worked for Whitey Littzell(?) culling clams in a shop in Halesite in around 1974 later to here he was called seedy whitey it not what i saw just the manual culling of lots of diggers and bluepoints clams. I know one of my friend now deceased billy lather used to tell a story of Red Nicholls confronting a conservation officer over seed going out of Huntington/Northport. there were studies done on the North Shore that showed it was the clams up at the heads of the harbors that spawned all the bays. The Islip leases were a complete scam and you can thank Robert Moses for that. you need spawning beds with multiple year classes of clams.

Quote Originally Posted by Wwbobo View Post
    Never went to college but I'm pretty sure the fact that most seeds were going to P.A Maryland and Jersey might have had effect also the opening of southwest sewer treatment plant and the fact they let us work Babylon coves shortly after that was the beginning of the end

Nancy Solomon, It was great meeting you at the decoy show on LI. This show was more like an old Baymens reunion for me. I took pictures of some of the old gang and emailed them around last night. I had a ball at this show. I already made plans for next year. If you want to see some pictures of the show, go to Duckboats.net Regards Rich

So i am in the middle of this fight over hydraulic dredging in Oyster Bay and sick of writing to DEC getting nowhere and i'm reading studies of hydraulic clam dredging in europe i decide to see whats on TMC and its "La Pointe Court" http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/510260/La-Pointe-Courte/ as a love story i don't know but the french bay constables chase the guys raking cockle in the uncertified and the french DEC plans to shut down the cove forever. The film of old boats alone is worth it.

Meanwhile in Connecticut the dredgers are raping the uncertified "deja vous" check out Ed Stillwagon's line of BS "the salinity in Greenwich is just right and his biggest problem is he can't catch em fast enough, except they are pushing farther up into the uncertified every year with NOAA helping them with fake science. https://social.newsinc.com/media/jso...deoId=31058704

https://www.oysterbaymen.com/the-bay-of-imbalance/