Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 122122

Thread: The Life of a Clam Digger (1972, Long Island)

Default Re: The Life of a Clam Digger (1972, Long Island)

I didn't know Dave I knew a few northshore guys who fish tiles with him he was well regarded too young

Absolutely taking the clams in the coves especially the bigger clams breaks down chances of future sets. That was the DEC's mantra get the clams out of the uncertified to protect the public all BS it was only about the money. I worked for Whitey Littzell(?) culling clams in a shop in Halesite in around 1974 later to here he was called seedy whitey it not what i saw just the manual culling of lots of diggers and bluepoints clams. I know one of my friend now deceased billy lather used to tell a story of Red Nicholls confronting a conservation officer over seed going out of Huntington/Northport. there were studies done on the North Shore that showed it was the clams up at the heads of the harbors that spawned all the bays. The Islip leases were a complete scam and you can thank Robert Moses for that. you need spawning beds with multiple year classes of clams.

Quote Originally Posted by Wwbobo View Post
    Never went to college but I'm pretty sure the fact that most seeds were going to P.A Maryland and Jersey might have had effect also the opening of southwest sewer treatment plant and the fact they let us work Babylon coves shortly after that was the beginning of the end

Nancy Solomon, It was great meeting you at the decoy show on LI. This show was more like an old Baymens reunion for me. I took pictures of some of the old gang and emailed them around last night. I had a ball at this show. I already made plans for next year. If you want to see some pictures of the show, go to Duckboats.net Regards Rich

So i am in the middle of this fight over hydraulic dredging in Oyster Bay and sick of writing to DEC getting nowhere and i'm reading studies of hydraulic clam dredging in europe i decide to see whats on TMC and its "La Pointe Court" http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/510260/La-Pointe-Courte/ as a love story i don't know but the french bay constables chase the guys raking cockle in the uncertified and the french DEC plans to shut down the cove forever. The film of old boats alone is worth it.

Meanwhile in Connecticut the dredgers are raping the uncertified "deja vous" check out Ed Stillwagon's line of BS "the salinity in Greenwich is just right and his biggest problem is he can't catch em fast enough, except they are pushing farther up into the uncertified every year with NOAA helping them with fake science. https://social.newsinc.com/media/jso...deoId=31058704

https://www.oysterbaymen.com/the-bay-of-imbalance/

Same here Rich!! Such a nice way to meet too.

I'm looking for a very small wooden boat - 10' - 12' long if possible, for use in my next exhibit about storms and hurricanes. If you know of one - the older the better of course, please contact me at info@longislandtraditions.org or call me at 516-767-8803. It has to be on Long Island ideally near Stony Brook. Thank you all!

This boat was my dreamboat back in the day. Dick Carleton built it for Carl Froehlich of Patchogue. Power was a v-8 Perkins Diesel which got her planing right up on top, when most tong boats poked along on their hull at 8 or 9 miles per hour. Jim ledger posted some pictures of it being slowly transformed into a tug boat by Charlie Balsamo at South Bay Boatworks over the last 15 0r 20 years. This picture was taken on Patchogue river looking east. I think it must have been docked at Thomas Marine. Thanks Russell for getting these from Carl. Rich

By the way this boat was brand new in these pictures, 1965-67? I got these pictures off the Babylon Bayman facebook page Thanks guys. Rich

Robert M. Wemyss
    58 Winterberry Circle
    Cross River, New York 10518

April 23rd, 2017

Basil Seggos Commissioner
    New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
    625 Broadway
    Albany, NY 12233-1011

Re: Bureau of Shellfisheries

Dear Commissioner,

I hereby request that your office undertake an investigation into the actions of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, (the department) Bureau of Shellfisheries (shellfisheries) and its Chief Debra Barnes regarding Frank M. Flower and Sons Inc., (FMF) hydraulic shellfish dredging operations on 1,800-acres in Oyster Bay, NY.

In 2007 the US Army Corps of Engineers (ACOE) added to its Nationwide permit program a Nationwide permit category for shellfish aquaculture NWP 48 – Existing Commercial Shellfish Aquaculture Activities the ACOE required the filing of a Pre-Construction Notification (PCN) for project areas over 100 acres. The department further conditions the nationwide permits for the NY District ACOE (the district) through its New York State DEC Water Quality Certification Letter these conditions along with the New York State DOS Coastal Zone Concurrence Letter become the overall NY district conditions.

Shellfisheries issues permits related to all shellfish cultivation and harvest in New York State. ECL 13-0316 provides that “No person shall engage in such off-bottom or on-bottom culture without first obtaining a permit from the department” and that “No such permit shall be issued unless the applicant has obtained any necessary permits or licenses required under any state or federal law.” Shellfishies also issues permits related to harvest and aquaculture under ECL 13-011 (harvest permit) and 13-0313 (bed permit).

The Nationwide permits are reissued every 5 years. In 2012 and 2017 the limit of the NYS Blanket Water Quality Certificate (WQC) was acre. For NWP-48 “Discharge and Disturbance Limits for “Temporary or permanent discharges of dredged or fill material into wetlands and other waters of the U.S. must not exceed acre.” (2017 blanket WQC). Any applicant for a permit pursuant to 13-016 for cultivation activities on more the acre is required to have an Individual WQC.

Shellfisheries Chief Debra Barnes has overseen issuance of cultivation permits over the entire period from 2007 to present and was the department’s front line reprsentative. It is impossible to believe that Ms. Barnes was ignorant of the condition of the NWPs or her duties to:
    a) Ensure compliance with the national and district conditions for the Nationwide Permits;
    b) require all applicant for permits under ECL 13-0316 to have any required state and federal permits (WQC and PCN-2007);
    c) ensure that applicant needing federal approval fill out a Federal Consistency Assessment Form and receive a certification of consistency from DOS before issuing permits;
    d) accurately scope the activity being permitted;

The attitude of Ms. Barns has been that department does not see any problem with FMF dredging. This has resulted in the illegal permitting of this activity for since 2007. FMF is current dredging with no exemption under the nationwide wide permits because it does not have a require Individual WQC on a lease of over acre, located in a state designated Significant Coastal Fish and Wildlife Habitat. (“This certification does not authorize any discharge occurring in a designated Significant Coastal Fish and Wildlife Habitat.” 2017 WQC)

Division of Marine Resources director James Gilmore conveys the same attitude and is backing up Ms. Barnes in her assertion that there is no problem with FMF’s permits or lack thereof.

Finally, advocacy of baymen’s representatives, research and letter writing critical have moved an entrenched bureaucracy to take some action. The problem is that it is entirely inappropriate for Ms. Barnes to be involved in the coordinated review that must now be undertaken. At this point, Mr. Gilmore, Ms. Barnes and Shellfisheries have a vested interest in vindicating their personal and collective actions. For this reason they are uniquely unqualified to undertake the necessary environment review. The same is true for some personnel at the NY District ACOE who were also fully aware of FMF’s activities the nationwide and NY district conditions and failed in to act.

I understand the need to support and defend subordinates when their actions can be considered reasonable, but not when those actions have resulted in the illegal permitting of a private company for 10 years. The review and coordination should be turned over to habitat protection, and the state should ask the Army Corps to coordinate a review by National Marine Fishery Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Division of Environmental Permits did a fine job of writing the New York conditions for the Nationwide permits and it was Ms. Barnes personal knowing decision to ignore them. The department needs to protect the environment not FMF and Barnes.

After ten years of non-compliance the department should stop the dredging and take the required “hard look” under the State Environmental Quality Review Act at hydraulic shellfish dredging and its impacts in Oyster Bay.

Robert M. Wemyss

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Scheffer View Post

I admired this boat back when I was clamming and often used to see Carl digging out on the bay. After I was finished digging, in the early 80's I went to work at Thomas Marine, in a large part because that's where Dick Carleton worked, the builder of this boat. I was hoping a bit of the know-how would somehow rub off onto me. We were building welded aluminum work boats by then and any mention of building in wood was met with a chuckle. Coffee time was always interesting. There was a variety of regulars stopping by, Carl Froelich chief among them, and the talk ran from old-time stories, local gossip, to interesting engines and boats and things they'd seen that you'll never see again. I think back now and realize how lucky I was to hear these guys talk.

This photo looks to me to be in the early Seventies, although it could have been earlier. Many of the buildings on the opposite shore are now gone, the boathouses in particular, and the docks later ran halfway across the river.

This photo shows the just how well these tong boats were set up for working the anchor. Under any choppy conditions you would be likely to encounter on the bay the anchor could be set and retrieved single handed with very little effort. You can see the anchor line led aft to the cleat outside the cabin window...or "house" as Dick Carleton would call it. The anchor would hang off the bowsprit in the roller. The line is in the bushel basket, not coiled, but just dropped in, so there is no twist in the line. To retrieve the anchor the digger would stand alongside the cabin with the sliding window open, engine running. The basket would be at his feet. The throttle and shifter is just inside the window, as is the wheel. You drop the engine into forward and start pulling in the slack line, making engine and steering adjustments as needed. Once the line is up and down the boat just drives the anchor out of the bottom and it is pulled up to the sprit. All to be done in a relaxed, confident manner. The cleat is handily placed for letting out the line while standing working, no need to stop digging to let out some line, just reach behind with one hand. The act of letting out line, it should be noted, put the boat on fresh bottom for digging.

I went up to Long Island for the decoy show back in the first week of March. Little did I know, but it turned into an old clammers reunion. Here is John German, Carl Froelich and Freddy "the Fox" Chiofolo. Its been years since I saw these guys. Carl was the owner of the beautiful tong boat pictured above. Rich

If anyone knows how to retrieve photos from photobucket let me know. A lot of history went "POOF" this week and I can't retrieve anything from photobucket. Many pic's I posted were scanned from friends prints and I no longer have access to them. Many of my own were on several different computers and this seems like a Herculean task to try to piece this all back together.

I was able to retrieve my photos, but only after my son put an ad blocker on the computer. Without the ad blocker the ads kept loading preventing the files from downloading. Hope this helps, Roger. It might be that there's a mass downloading situation going on right now as folks try to retrieve their photos. The good news is that the photos are still there and will most likely remain so. Keep on trying.

I freaking now hate photo bucket trashed a wonderful informative thread.

I've not been very active lately but I've got 17 years worth of photos on this forum that just disappeared. I was bummed when image station disappeared, but that was nothing compared to this.