Thread: Romp

Default Romp

Bolger has designed several boats with the same basic hull shape. They seem very successful for the intended purpose. On Romp the stern seems more pinched the all the other boats of similar design. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

RonB.

Default Re: Romp

Don't know, but Romp came up a while back in another Bolger thread. Here's a couple links. Might be something in them for you.

http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/papers/tcp22.pdf

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...r-design/page3

Hey Jim,

Good stuff and more glowing reports about the boat. But, I still wonder why the hull shape is so different from the others. If we all turn to our reader.... 30 Odd Boats, the next chapter has a discussion regarding a similar hull style. The sterns are very different. Just wondering "why"?

RonB.

My take.

The shape of the stern on any boat is a function of the lines ahead of the cutoff that the stern represents. Two issues. One is that for a boat to be easy on the helm it should not significantly change fore and aft trim as it heels, especially important with a hull thats as flat across midships and along the keel as these,and that dictates to a large degree what those after lines are going to be. The other is that if you imagine the lines extended beyond that cutoff, you can put the transom anywhere along that extension that suits the boat.
    Romp although shorter and taller in proportion than Manatee, ( which changes the shape anyway) has the cutoff ( transom) further back along those lines than Manatee, and the latter also has a sloping transom so is able to disguise the bigger backside, there is also the device of the dummy stern gallery to further camoflage the height and width which means that aesthetically she is acceptable whereas the more stark Romp needed the smaller transom to look right so the cutoff point is proportionately slightly further aft along those converging lines.

Am I making sense here?

BTW, Its in "Different Boats"

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Badley Built View Post
    Hey Jim,

Good stuff and more glowing reports about the boat. But, I still wonder why the hull shape is so different from the others. If we all turn to our reader.... 30 Odd Boats, the next chapter has a discussion regarding a similar hull style. The sterns are very different. Just wondering "why"?

RonB.
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Asking why Phil Bolger did something is like asking why ants have six legs. Because.

He reminds me of Picasso. Picasso just got so bored with creating photo-realistic work after photo-realistic work that he began to play with new ways of seeing the world. Boy Howdy PB could have drawn you as "normal" of a boat as the next guy, and probably better, but why?

There was a good reason for it, if he did it. Even if the reason was just to see what would happen...

John and Rob,

Thanks. Both of your answers make sense.

RonB.

I love that. Exactly. He had pretty much mastered traditional boat design by the mid 1960s or so--just check Small Boats. Some of the prettiest boats ever drawn. Then he started pushing the envelope. That's about all there is to it. And inquisitive mind, an inventive background, inventive mentors, and a pronounced lack of greed left him open to doing the kind of work that eventually made him controversial, and relatively well known--or notorious depending on how you look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Asking why Phil Bolger did something is like asking why ants have six legs. Because.

He reminds me of Picasso. Picasso just got so bored with creating photo-realistic work after photo-realistic work that he began to play with new ways of seeing the world. Boy Howdy PB could have drawn you as "normal" of a boat as the next guy, and probably better, but why?

There was a good reason for it, if he did it. Even if the reason was just to see what would happen...