Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 89

Thread: Drake -- 40' LOD Munroe-influenced ketch

Default Re: Drake -- 40' LOD Munroe-influenced ketch

Lovely summer morning -- coffee on deck, eggs, fruit, then an expedition to the beach.

Later we motored in a calm back to Beausoleil...

...and anchored with a large number of boats, choosing that spot due to thunderstorms in the forecast. Obviously the other boats did that too for the same reasons, but surprisingly everyone was on his best behavior. We had another very pleasant evening.

I confirmed that any plans used in the construction of Drake vanished long ago. The Grandfather, M. LaFortune, may have stretched a set of plans he had for a 30-footer, modified by all he'd read and observed during the 1930s and '40s. I showed J-F my copy of "The Good Little Ship" by Vincent Gilpin, and we spoke of how Drake resembled Ralph Munroe's designs. I made clear all the things that had been done right in her design and construction, plus what had evolved over the decades. J-F pulled out 2 family photo albums, and we pored over the old black-and-whites of the ketch's early days.

Sunday morning we got under way early -- they faced a long drive back to Montreal -- and a flat calm turned into a nice breeze, and we tacked our way back to Penetang.

Very pleasant little trip! Full of remembering for both of us. And very good company.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Hadfield; 09-01-2016 at 11:32 AM.

It is nice to vicariously return to my old cruising ground. Sailed out of Meaford, either working up the Bruce or across to Christian Island and working up the north east shore. Thanks.

Last cruise of the year, probably. A bit cold, 12C, but sunny and pleasant. I was the only sailboat on the lake yesterday -- and there are about 4000 slips within 10 miles. And I'm the only boat at anchor. (Boy are those other people all crazy...)

No one here but loons and mergansers...

upload pic

The Secret Weapon.

upload gambar

Beautiful. You got that right!

Sunrise on The Shore With Stovepipe

adult photo hosting

I guess I waited until the last possible day to get the boat out and tarped (yesterday). Winter has arrived -- the Gales of November. Right now it's gusting to 48 kts at the Western Islands, and the seas are being reported at 3.7 meters.

In fact the power keeps going out here at home. These have been in periodic use this evening.

Three days ago I took the final cruise of the year -- motored from the mooring into the boat-lift slip. Always the most bitter-sweet journey of the sailing year!

Then I winterized the motor and we pulled the mizzen (it isn't the largest travelift), and ended up on the hard... sigh...

Then a diversion -- probably the last chance I'd have this season to move an old biplane -- a DH83 Fox Moth. I flew it from Grand Valley to Ottawa (after a summer of work being done on it).

matt Watson

A friend saw me off...

matt watson

Pete L met me yesterday morning and we got Drake covered. The rain started just as we arrived and continued steadily until just after we left. (Figures...) And the temp dropped from 12C to 4C. But at least the wind held off. (All those people who put away their boats when the weather is nice -- are they ever crazy!)

This is one of the times I find Drake's 46 ft sparred length inconvenient. Lots of tarp!

But it's all quite do-able. I know it looks a bit funny -- all those water jugs -- but I find they really work well. If you take the line from a tarp grommet on one side and run it under the boat, through a grommet on the other side, and then weigh it with a jug, it works its way as tight as possible all winter and never lets up.

Tarp Saving Tip -- when a grommet tears out, don't buy a fancy replacement unit. Just poke a small round pebble into the fabric, and then work a constrictor-knot around it. Tie a loop in the end of that. This is far stronger than the grommet the tarp came with, although a bit ugly.

This is what it turned into today...

from Simcoe Today

Summer on Friday, rain on Saturday, Winter on Sunday...

Oh well; at least I squeezed everything I could out of the season.

Dave

Drake is buried in snow of course. Everything is buried in snow around here.

But my brother was going through the family albums the other day and unearthed this...

This is the first powerboat my Dad bought, in about 1965. It's a Peterborough Playboy, 14ft I believe. We had a green 25hp Johnson on it at first, then that 40 hp Merc. We used it harder than we should have, and sold it when the transom started coming away from the hull.

I learned to ski behind it, and slalom. The photo is a typical summer morning at the cottage, with both brothers and friends. (I'm the tall skinny guy. And I had the hots for the girl in the white cap that summer...)
    Last edited by Dave Hadfield; 02-16-2017 at 01:08 PM.

A simple clove hitch on the pebble works well too. I rarely use the grommets on tarps, just go straight to the pebble to stake them out. I do use the grommets to stretch the tarp on a ridgeline, but that is a very low-stress service, if done correctly.

Drake is still under a mountain of snow, but I recently operated a flight to Dubai. I hadn't been there before, so Robin came along to explore it with me.

On Day 1 we crossed Dubai Creek (it isn't a creek, it's just a long skinny inlet that just barely surrounds the downtown, like a moat), to look at the Spice Souk, and the Gold Souk. The way you get across is via one of these water taxis.

They are quite heavily used.

The boat form is of a wide, shallow wooden workboat, carvel, with a small diesel under the deck mid-ships, in front of the helmsman. It's semi-traditional, modified for power and for its prime purpose: shunting people 100 yards, 20 at a time. There is no paint or finish. Totally work-a-day. No extra dirhams are spent. The boatmen are not Arab -- in fact no one is Arab in Dubai! (according to what you actually see on the street) -- but are in fact Indian or Pakistani or perhaps from NE Africa.

I had a seat near the stern, and immediately saw this...

... and said to Robin, "Look at that steering line -- it's going to fail!" Sure enough, by the end of our very short voyage, it looked like this...

...and I was pleased to exit the boat while actually at a dock.

After touring the souks (an irritating and totally typical Asian shopping experience in which you can't look at anything without a shopkeeper grabbing your arm, and threatening to commit suicide if you leave without buying something), and seeing ridiculous acreages of gold, cashmere scarves by the stall-full and smelling wretching amounts of saffron, we rented one of these for an hour -- this one with a tiller-rope comprising 3 strands -- and had a lovely cruise.

Much better. On the water. We saw dhows by the dozen...

... and some unusual yachts.

None of them were fiberglass, and only a couple were of steel. There appears to be enough money in the country, and Indian forests are close enough, to supply the preferred teak. However, sacrilegious though this may be to say, the amount of wood displayed was over-the-top.

Altogether, I enjoyed seeing the working waterfront. I applaud the Sheiks for encouraging the traditional watercraft, instead of just building another bridge.. And later, when we toured the Museum (it's in the old fort), there was a historical section which outlined the fact that this has always been a maritime community more than a desert one.

Next day we saw the aquarium in one of the giant malls. I enjoyed this too, being a diver. Vast numbers of fish. You can walk amongst them in the tunnels. Many weird bottom-living sharks and rays. A huge variety and quantity, in a small space. I don't know how they prevent them eating each other...

Thanks Dave. I spent about 10 years working out of Abu Dhabi and Dubai. I was last there in 2002. Brings back memories.

So, I arrived at the boatyard a few weeks ago. The snow was clearly melting -- for sure this time, not just a trick. The tarps all looked good. They had stayed in place just fine during the winter snows and gales.

Once they were freed from the covers I went around the boat tapping the hull. Tick-tick-tick-tick-tick -- THUD.

Oh darn...

Drake has upper and lower rubrails. I haven't messed with them except to replace the uppers at the foredeck 2 years ago. They are as they were when I bought the boat. But one of them was clearly soft. I pulled the ladder over and climbed up. The fiberglass deck covering had been brought over the edge and encapsulated the upper rubrail. I figured I'd better cut it away.

When I did, the exposed mahogany had the strength of tissue paper.

Here's a photo of the arrangement, from a different spot that I was equally worried about, taken after I removed some of the paint.

Encapsulating wood is not usually a good idea. If you're going to do it, then it has to be done thoroughly.

If this is going to be done, no water at all can be allowed into the wood because it has no way to get out. Well, that wasn't the case here. There were small cracks. Water got in, and then stayed and fostered decay. The previous owner did this, although it is my fault for not undoing it. When I rebuilt the foredeck, I only brought the fiberglass over the edge and onto the face of the rubrail. I left the under surface open to allow the wood to drain, and breathe.

I should have taken a grinder around the boat and opened the underside of all the rails.

Anyway, water accumulated in the upper rubrail, then migrated into the sidedeck edge, and the hull plank behind. Cutting was required.

Frustrating! I wanted to launch! But the wood was soft and wet, even after a winter lay-up.

And as always, the cutting got bigger.

But at least that was it. It hadn't migrated all the way to the cabin side.

Removing the plywood was frustrating. Some previous owner had made a deck repair, but instead of getting down to the deckbeams and then simply screwing on new 5/8" ply, he had laid down 2 layers, glued. This meant there was no way to access the underlayer screwheads.

This means endless chipping. NO time for that. So I bought as metal-cutting blade for my circular saw, and attacked it. Screwheads? Hah! Zap right through them. I made a whack of cuts an inch apart -- a few minutes work -- and then the plywood was easy to pry away.

Here's what I mean -- I hope you can see 2 layers here, although it's a bit like geology.

The top plank of the hull, the sheer-strake, needed to be replaced for about 4 ft. The rot had migrated into the cypress, although not right through. (Old Growth Cypress is a WONDERFUL thing.) To get at it, I had to remove the lower rubrail. I had visions of removing the screws, prying away that long piece of teak, working behind it to replace the plank, then simply screwing the rail back down again.

But I couldn't turn the screws. Using my strongest and most time-proven techniques, I simply messed up the slot-heads.

Finally I got one out. #14 x 2 1/2 galvanized, sunk into white-oak frames. Solid. Bound. Huge. Frozen. Eventually I figured out that the simplest thing was to split away the wood and replace it later. Here are the screws... still in remarkably good shape for 70 years...

Beautiful, well used boat. Congratulations.

Thanks!

Well, I needed a plank. Cypress doesn't exist up here. I decided to look for Cedar. It turned out to be hard to find. All the local lumberyards and big-box stores had only knotty stuff, or wide-grain pine.

Eventually an old guy working a lumber desk at a building supply place told me about a sawmill that "might still be operating" on the 10th concession -- in my own township! I had no idea it was there. So I dropped in and sure enough there was a pile of old boards, outside and very grey, but well stickered, random widths, a full inch rough, and I didn't have to look very far to find clear. I had a fine chat with Sawyer Bob, who has done this work forever. I picked two lovely boards in case I screwed one up. "How much?" "Well... [long pause] ...give me 10 bucks."

So I gave them a quick initial thickness-plane at home, then took them to the ketch, fired up the circular saw, cut a piece out of the hull (...gulp...)...

...and started fitting the cedar board.

[/url]

What lovely stuff to hand-plane! I got curls the length of the board. Guys stopped to watch and started talking about all the things Grandpa did with hand tools... I said, "Uh huh..."

[/url]

Doesn't look like 3 hours work, does it, but the cut with the circular saw wasn't perfect, and there was a fair amount of match-fitting of the board. And never got too short, or too narrow, which in my experience wood sometimes manages to do. Anyway, a coat of paint onto the inside face...

[/url]

... and screw it on, and then plane down to the height of the planks around it. In this photo, taken later, you can see the extra bits screwed and glued under the deck to support the coming deck-piece.

[/url]
    Last edited by Dave Hadfield; 05-19-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Then lay on a piece of marine ply and scribe from below...

... cut, trim, trim again, trim again, and screw it down. Apply a slightly thickened googe of epoxy to the edges (almost forgetting to go inside and wipe up the drips while soft), fill the holes with fairing filler, and get a coat of epoxy onto the top because there is rain in the forecast. (They ALWAYS rain add rain-showers to the forecast when you are epoxying outside.)

And start thickening the layer to match the level of the surrounding deck.

Yes, that is horse-hoof medicated pine tar I used for screw lubricant. I chose that because the boat was sick, and need all the medication it could get.

And pour on the WestSystem.

Very busy spring. Late with my postings. But Drake is in the water and sailing.

Carrying on with the sequence of the repair, caulking...

And painting-in the caulk...

What a nasty surprise that was! Looking like a good job well done.

How do you find out whom your true friends are? When it's time to anti-foul the hull!

While I was scarfing wood together, trying to match profiles using hand-tools...

... they were doing the grunge-work so I could get Drake launched during this one set of days-off.

Which did indeed happen. And which is no surprise I suppose to an onlooker, but is always a triumph, every spring!

It was the standard hydraulic event for a while, complicated by the fact that my main bilge pump quit at midnight, and I had to plug in a big sump-pump every half-hour for the rest of that night, but eventually, using new parts and old fortitude...

... we had a safely floating vessel again.

Lovely to get all the yard-work behind us, and get out sailing. First cruise of the year. Joyous!

When solo (and on this non-autopilot boat) I sail jib-and-mizzen a lot. Simplifies things, especially if the wind gets up.

Sunset at Beausoleil.

And then coming back, I passed this neat little schooner. Is it a Jochems, by Bolger? It was scooting right along on a close reach. Quite brisk. Looked very good.

Hopeful beggar...

After he posed for photos, yes, indeed, I did throw him a piece of cheese.

Spent an entire day at anchor. Restful. Slothful. Luxurious. (Insidious. Unendurable.) So I pulled the jib inside and sewed on a patch.

Then jumped overboard and scrubbed the topsides. What works best to remove "harbor-yellow" and fender-marks etc. is a Magic Eraser. Wonderful result with little effort.

Met with old friends, and took them sailing. Pete was one of the guys who sanded the bottom. Christine had never been aboard before. She is slightly handicapped with hips that don't work according to spec. So I put her to work and she steered most of the day.

We went to see the Keewatin, on exhibit at Port McNicholl. Built in 1907 as a CPR vessel, she steamed to and from Thunder Bay until the mid-'60s.

Stressful afternoon. Beverage glasses did not tip.