Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 567 ... LastLast

Thread: Drake -- 40' LOD Munroe-influenced ketch

Default Re: Drake -- 40' LOD Munroe-influenced ketch

Peter, I ran the lines (braces) back to the mizzen head because that's about the height of the yardarm. Thus when I adjust the braces, I am swivelling the yard, but it stays in a horizontal plane. If the braces ran down to the deck, pulling on one would skew the yard, one end up and one end down. To counteract this, lifts are required -- these are standing lines that go from the yardarm ends up to the mast head.

I had no need to rig lifts since I had the mizzen mast at the right height, thus 2 lines and some complexity were saved.

Dave

Zane, lovely yawl. And that mizzen staysail is giving you a huge spread considering the small-ish mizzenmast on a yawl rig. Very nice.

Looks a lot better than the snowstorm happening here at the moment...

Dave

Merry christmas to you and yours Dave , have a good one. regards from Kirsty too.

Thanks Dave,
    Plenty of other thingings happening to keep your mind off a snow storm by the sound of it.
    We are just starting to feel the effects of a downgraded tropical storm here. Will be with us for the next 36 hours so don't feel too bad about a snow storm.
    Still I got to spend the afternoon in a big boat shed playing with a friends new 2nd hand Flying fifteen
    Zane

Thanks, John. Merry Christmas to you and Kirsty, and to all your family a healthy and prosperous New Year.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I posted a thread a few months ago asking if anyone else had put a squaresail on their sloop rigged boats and although plenty of people chimed in, you are the only one so far who has actually done it. I don't think it will work for me as a general downwind sail, since the spinnaker is probably easier to use from what you are saying, at least when sailing angles. But I often sail wing on wing within say 20 degrees of ddw, poled out jib and preventer on the main. I think if I hoisted up a squaresail to the masthead it would fill out the upper third or so of the sailplan, making going wing on wing that much more effective...

What is your yard made of? How strong does it have to be, think a fir 3" diameter birsdmouth section will due?
    “The difference between an adventurer and anybody else is that the youthful embrace of discovery, of self or of the world, is not muted by the responsibilities or the safety-catches of maturity.” Jonathan Borgais

Peter,

I was able to rig the Square because there's an eyebolt 4 ft down from the masthead. I hoist the yardarm to a block shackled to that. For a modern sloop with a formed aluminum mast, I don't see how you could do anything quite like that.

An alternative method from 100 years ago was to rig a jack-stay. This was a vertical cable rigged from the masthead to the deck just forward of the mast. The yard went up and down on that. But they were using big sticks as masts then. I don't know if you want to increase compression-load on a modern aluminum mast, which this would.

Can you post a picture of your boat, or start a separate thread?

Anyway, my yardarm is of hollow tapered spruce, 16 ft. It's about 2 1/2" at the ends, about 5" in the middle. Some very small knots. I believe that I made it as a simple glued-up 4-piece block, then shaved away more at the ends than in the middle. I hoist it with a bridle to spread the load.

I'll see if I can take some photos today.

Dave

edited for duplicat post
    Last edited by Dave Hadfield; 01-20-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Well I'm a bit late, but I had an excuse -- my brother rode a rocket to the International Space Station, and I went to Kazahkstan to see him get launched.

But anyway, getting back to yardarms, here's a photo of mine hanging from the ceiling of my shop.

Here's a closer view of the bridle...

Here's the thumbcleat that holds the bridle in place...

Those little buttons are for the sail gaskets, which are rubber bands. I hoist the sail with those rubber bands hooked onto a button, then round the furled sail, then onto the button again. And when the sail is all the way up, I pull down on the sheets and the rubber bands break and the sail drops properly.

The yard is 16 ft.

Here's the D-ring at the end that a clew lashes to.

This is the end -- you can see it's about 1.5"

And here she is in the middle -- about 3' across, not 5" as I mentioned a few posts back.

In a pleasing change of pace, I actually put some wood back ONTO the boat. Here I am cutting the first foredeck piece, trying not to make a mistake with that very expensive plywood.

And it fits!

Meanwhile, in the shop, Robin has gold-leafed and outlined a new nameboard, to replace the one that got ripped off in a storm a few years ago. (Always bolt nameboards on, don't merely screw them.) This is the 4th coat of varnish.

And the companionway ladder was looking scruffy, with tatty brown carpet tacked to the steps, and beat-up ancient varnish. I took it back to wood and started over. (Thank God for cabinet scrapers.) Again, third coat.

The bowsprit needed its oaken massiveness properly addressed. Here is the underside getting 40 years of stuff removed.

Which was followed by a first coat of paint. The underside will be green -- the top will be Cetol Dek.

What a pleasure it is to do these things in a calm, unhurried way, inside a building in the middle of winter. It definitely cost me money to have the boat moved near to where I live, but I don't regret it at all.

Dave

Thank you for the updates. I've been working on my ketch in the water, but I brought some parts home.

Bump, to show some friends what I've been up to lately.

Actually I've been sailing a Stuart Knockabout for the last two days. What an impeccable boat....

God that boat handles beautifully....

We tacked up through a crowded anchorage in her in the San Blas islands while on a cruise on a large power yacht. We did this because earlier in the day, shortly after anchoring, we took jet-skiis for a look around. We had motored through the anchorage amongst the world-cruising yachts at absolute lowest idling speed, no wake, but still gathered fowl looks and muttered remarks. (I don't enjoy jet-skis, and would never own one, but will use them as a tool -- you can certainly cover a lot of water in them, even when shallow.) So, when the SK was in the water, we rather enjoyed demonstrating the perfect manners and impeccable handling of this Herreshoff design.

The combination of light-boat appearance, with the momentum of substantial ballast in it's partial keel, means you can carry a huge amount of way into each tack. Plus, the jib was on a club, so all that was involved in tacking was to put the tiller over. Pure, effortless, sweetness....

Dave

I've been working on Drake steadily. One of the jobs in the shop was stripping the chainplates of 70 years of paint. They are galvanized, from W/C.

I started with a bath of a modern soy-based paint stripper.

What a ridiculous waste of time. The thing was in that bath for a hour and the paint hardly bubbled. I had 5 of them to do. So I reverted to older technology. I laid them on the wood stove...

... for a carefully monitored length of time -- didn't want to lose the original zinc -- and then laid them on a workbench.

Then with an electric heat gun and a piece of soft aluminum (in the picture) as a scraper, the paint came off in large pieces. After that I reheated them, painted the backs with a thick coat of cold-galvanizing, and laid a coat of white primer (Tremclad Galvanize Primer) on the fronts.

Today they are going back onto the hull.

Before the deck plywood goes on we're painting the underside of it -- it's a lot easier then, of course.

And also sanding and painting the faces of the deckbeams and carlins. Vastly simpler.

Dave

Great to see some nice progress Mr.Hadfield, with the weather getting ever more summer like, you must be getting excited about having her back in the water sooner than expected.

I certainly hope it is sooner than later for you!

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Thanks, Peter. Yes, we're moving along bit by bit.

Got the chainplates on, all new stainless bolts, and better backing inside.

[IMG]ftp://DaveHadfield@hadfield.ca/Drake/chainplates on.jpg[/IMG]

Boatworker's lunch.

[IMG]ftp://DaveHadfield@hadfield.ca/Drake/boatworker's lunch.jpg[/IMG]

Deck finally on for good, and screwed down.

[IMG]ftp://DaveHadfield@hadfield.ca/Drake/deck screws.jpg[/IMG]

Dave

Thanks, Peter. Yes, we're moving along bit by bit.

Got the chainplates on, all new stainless bolts, and better backing inside.

Boatworker's lunch.

Deck finally on for good, and screwed down.

Dave

Making steady progress on the deck. Screw holes puttied, taped and puttied where the deck meets the cabin, and much, much sanding.

Also got new rubrails on, jotoba.

Very soon ready to cover the deck plywood with fiberglass cloth and epoxy.

These photos of course don't do anything like justice to about 10 man-days of work...

Dave

Steady, consistent, boring, tedious -- but necessary -- work.

Culminating in this, yesterday morning...

... then this, yesterday afternoon...

... followed by this, at closing time.

Dave

Well, just in case anyone is interested, my summer commitments overwhelmed me. Drake didn't get into the water. I worked away on her when I had the time, here and there, but by mid-August I realized it was going to be 2014. Embarrassing!

Anyway, after sanding and a few coats of epoxy, it was starting to look fine. (I bought a 4 x 24" belt sander for the job -- much easier with a big unit to get an even pass.)

Then I milled and installed a hatch rim.

Those hatch rims were bedded in butyl rubber, after I saw a tutorial from someplace on this forum (I forget where). Lovely stuff! Good tip!

The cabin front prepped and primed, and the rubrails taped ready for paint.

And later, with a couple of coats on, and the rubrails painted dark green to match the rest of the trim.

Got some other parts painted, too.

And then I borrowed the farm tractor and front-end loader and got the big bits put on before the shed filled up with vehicles for the winter.

Dave

I imagine this thread has dropped off everyone's radar, but not mine of course. I've been working away steadily this spring. And I've actually booked a Transporter! On June 24 Drake heads back to the water, or at least very near it. Big Day!

She's been stored in an unheated fabric-covered quonset. This has been great for doing the deck repairs and such -- no tarps! -- but meant no working on it in the winter. Or even in the hot part of last summer.

Installing the hardware took a surprisingly long time. Just getting all the fasteners right took many trips to the store -- some are screwed into the 5/8" deck, some into that plus deckbeams, and some are bolted. Fussy work to get them all right.

I used Butyl rubber as a bedding compound. Lovely stuff! Great to work with! I got good squeeze-out, so I expect the keep water out of the deck for a few decades to come.

I elected to use the old hardware if it was still serviceable. This hausehole has some of it's chrome worn off, and showing the bronze, but on it went.

And I updated to 2 cleats instead of just the one that had been there before. It was hard to find another to match the very old W/C cleat that was on there, but I got one from the Lunenburg Foundry. (Before, I often had 2 docklines going onto the one cleat -- not so great.) That took new blocking underneath, of course.

The Lunenburg is much more than Drake needs, but what the hell, solid stuff...

This show one cleat I considered, and rejected -- a cheapy made in China, from Westmarine.

Last edited by Dave Hadfield; 06-11-2014 at 10:31 AM.

duplicate post
    Last edited by Dave Hadfield; 06-11-2014 at 11:03 AM.

The cleat-bolts were impossible to find. I wanted 5/8 x 8", SS, with countersunk heads. Had no luck at all. I couldn't even easily get hex-head.

So I went ahead and made them. I bought 36" lengths of SS rod, and had a nut welded onto each end. The fellow at SS Outfitter in Barrie did a nice job, and charged me only $10 for all 4. Then I cut to 8".

I dragged my drill press outside, to keep the sparks out of my shop, and chucked the shank tight. The flipped the switch and bevelled the heads with an angle grinder. Worked great! Fast and simple, and if you take a good grip, quite a clean and accurate bevel. I was a bit worried about heat, and changing the temper of the metal, but I think the rapid spin of the head (geared to max rpm) provided a bit of air-cooling, and I didn't see any "blue".

Here's one nearly complete.

I thought I'd have to cut a slot in the top to stop them turning as I tightened them up, but no, they all bound in the cleat, and I was able to cinch the cleats down to the maximum of my strength.

The pads are of ironwood, cut in my bush, submersed in a pail of boat sauce for a month, then cetoled.

Here's the foredeck much later, with all the hardware installed, ready for another coat of paint.

I arranged with Lucy, a professional cleaner -- practically an immaculator! -- to scrub away the mildew inside the cabin. But before I did so I straightened-up a bit. And noticed a bit of fluff in a floorboard hole. When I lifted it, I saw this.

It was humoungous! It was big enough for a mouse village! I was shocked -- I'd put plenty of mouse-bait around. But then, when I cleaned it up, I found about a pint of the poison pellets all stored away in a larder. They'd moved it before eating it....

Anyway, the material seemed to be cotton. I couldn't figure out where it had come from until I opened my paint locker and found this....

.... which used to be a mop.

Dave

Today Drake went on the road....

It's been out of the water and has missed 2 seasons. Now she's bound for Penetanguishene harbour.

Can't wait.

Dave

Very Good!!

Great news, exciting time, Dave..

Yes, John. I slept aboard her the last 2 nights, water gurgling away in her bilge. Haven't done that in a while! It was very nice, and I slept like a rock.

She's on the cradle while the taking-up phase is happening. She is slow to remember, I think, being 3 years out of the water, but by the time I left, water was dripping out some of the third seams, so that's something!

And I got the old Farymann diesel running. I had to take the water pump apart (seized), and change the oil of course. But it turned over easily, and fired after 20 seconds of cranking. Just like old times!

I also drained out the 15 gallons of diesel. It was dark-yellow coloured -- not good. I had tried a electric-drill pump, but that wouldn't draw it up the 4 ft to a jerrycan. So I went and bought one of these...

... and it worked like a charm. Also used it to get the old oil out of the engine.

BTW -- it was $79 at Princess Auto -- cheaper than the marine store by far.

Anyway, I have to work for 2 days, then I go back and get it launched!

Dave