Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drake -- 40' LOD Munroe-influenced ketch

Default Re: Drake -- 40' LOD Munroe-influenced ketch

Thanks, Bakov.

Yeah, huge Lake-use history in that part of the world.

And yes, that corner of Georgian Bay freezes hard. I usually start Spring Commissioning while snowmobiles are still zipping by on the Bay.

Dave

more pictures as soon as I can

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the great idea. My kids will love this one, and it will make a nice scuba platform for us too. I can see adding a small box for masks, fins, snorkles, and diddies from the sea.

Will you comment on this thread for me?
    Carib 32 >> electrics and cabin to mizzen

What do you think about less deck space and more cabin space?
    patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    I thought I'd document some boat details.

Here's the Swim Stage. It's a wonderful design, and I've never seen another like it. Snap-on, snap-off.

Since Drake has an overhanging stern, the swim stage is our only way to get back on aboard from the water. It's a wide mahogany plank. Underneath it are 2 stainless steel channels, into which slide the spacers that hold it our from the hull -- so it's a take-apart. These spacers are cushioned with 1 1/2" plastic pipe around the ends against the soft cypress hull planks. The pool-noodle fender bits are not usually on it, but I was using the stage to rig my sailing dinghy that day.

It's rigged right at water level.

Drake has standing backstays, but I changed them to include these large pelican hooks. The reason is it's handy to be able to set a mizzen spinnaker or a mizzen staysail (obviously forward of the mizzen). Usually the main backstays are in the way. But Drake has 2 separate backstays terminating at the mizzen chainplates, not a single backstay that divides to a bridle. Thus, by using these hooks, I can disengage the slack, leeward one, clear the space, and hoist the new sail.

The hooks came from Holland Marine. They're of 1/2 in steel. They don't end up as tight as turnbuckles, but so what -- backstays don't have to be bar-tight.

We carry a deckload of spars. They look awkward. They're not, at all. It's handy to have some long sticks on board.

The thick one with the D ring at the end is the yardarm (for the squaresail). I also use it to boom my largest genoa out.

The longest curved one is the sprit for the main backstaysail (the "Mule").

The long slim straight one is the mast for the tender (16ft, for a leg-o-mutton spritsail). It's also my depthsounder. (That's right, for measuring the depth of the water I use stone-age technology.) I stand on the bowsprit with this pole as Robin angles-in to an anchorage, sounding the depths and calling it out, and if it shoals too rapidly I'm in a perfect position to get the bow turning very quickly. (Long-keel boats don't spin on a dime.)

The rope around them from the skylight keeps them on board. The other string closer to the camera secures the hatchway bug-net.

The small slim curved one is the sprit for the dinghy rig.

Last edited by Dave Hadfield; 10-27-2008 at 09:44 AM.

Bump, to illustrate a mizzen spinnaker, and backstays on pelican hooks, for Greg Leeber.

Dave

Bump, to illustrate some aspects of wooden boatbuilding for a friend who is an aircraft restorer.

Dave

Thanks, Dave.

Steven

Dave, thanks for bumping up this thread. I enjoyed it from the beginning, but it's specially relevant now that I own a ketch. You've got me thinking about light air sails.

Good to see this bumped, as I missed it before - beautiful boat, great thread!

Dave Gentry

My pleasure, gents. The old ketch didn't see too much of me this year, but next spring we have a date for a paintjob. I'm going to strip the old topside paint off, go back to wood, and start afresh. I don't think that's been done for 20 years or so.

Dave

Bump, to illustrate some bowsprit info.

Dave

Started spring-work on the boat on Friday. It wa April 01, and the weather was indeed a joke -- sunny and calm and 25C. Unusual, to say the least.

In the Clubhouse on of the other owners (he has a very cool steel ex Coast Guard Buoy Tender) said he had some photos for me. They were taken 2 years ago, and he'd been saving them.

It's nice, you know. You work, work, work... fuss over the details... sand your fingertips raw... wonder whether it's all worth it, or whether anyone ever notices... and then you get photos like this. Out of the blue.

Steady, aye, steady...

Dave

Nice, thanks. I was aboard mine today with some family (at the dock). Can hardly wait for sailing days...

Well I've been putting it off, but every quarter century you really should re-paint a wooden boat.

Being planked with cypress, it really is a battle trying to keep the paint from flaking off. For the last 10 years I've been trying to get away with touch-up, but this spring I decided to get back to wood.

Here's a section of the bow, the Before Picture.

So I employed my trusty paint stripper -- fire -- and set to work. (For any larger surface I'd recommend a bigger, softer-flame torch. A friend of mine at the boat yard recently used the shrink-wrap propane torch -- perfect.)

And then attacked the boat in sections, as time permitted.

After each section, I sanded using a random-orbit sander and very long even strokes, then got a coat of primer on. In the meantime, I had already bottom-painted, and got water into the centerboard trunk and hull bottom (pre-swelling).

The centerboard trunk is plank-on-frame, and can be troublesome to pre-swell, but I've hit upon the idea of pressing a narrow sheet of soft styrofoam from below, using a 2 x 4 being pushed up by wedges. This is very easy, low-tech, and works perfectly. Once plugged, I can fill up the trunk from inside the boat, and eventually the boards take-up.

But it was terribly hot and muggy. Last week I couldn't stand it, and so went into town and bought a tarp to work under. A well-designed dinghy is handy for many things!

And in the shade I was able to finish the side. (Plus I also picked up a case of beer. Dehydration is a serious threat.)

Last edited by Dave Hadfield; 07-18-2010 at 10:08 PM.

The wind-scoop is wonderful when you go inside for a breather.

And a decent workbench with a vise is a must (cleared at the moment of the photo for a thunderstorm). Those sawhorses are made of 1 x 6, and are hinged at the top, so they collapse for transport. Very sturdy, very handy.

It looks nice in wood, and one can fantasize about a varnished hull...

But the workload to keep it up would be beyond me, plus on Drake the planks are relatively thin, and the screws are covered with putty, not bungs, so it's out of the question. Thus on goes the primer.

Here's the same area as the "before" picture. Looks lousy with one coat.

So, sand it (sand most of it off, actually), and give it 2 coats.

In the meantime, plug away at the yearly jobs, like another coat of varnish on the nameboards....

Then, called away for a few days to work at the day job, get back as soon as possible to lay on the topcoats, and get back in the water!

Nice work.

Wonderful to see the hull!! Thanks. Back sailing soon?

Thanks, yes, not too long now I hope!

Dave

Fantastic boat. I am curious about the Cypress. Out here in BC wood that is called cypress is actually a yellow cedar. Is it the same there? And if so what type of paint did you end up using and are you happy with the results?

Nope, different wood entirely. Drake is planked with old-growth, tight-grain planks cut from the trees found in the Southern USA. "Cypress Gardens" and all that. It can grow in swamps and has a very high resin content. The good part: it's a wood that doesn't rot, much. The bad part: it tends to shed paint. It's also soft, and shows every ding.

Bald Cypress, Taxodium distichum

I believe some of this wood was cut during the war in situations which hadn't been commercially viable, but which were needed for the war effort. Later, the surplus came on the market.

Drake has white oak frames, and live-oak keel structure. (It's why she's still a boat -- very good materials!)

As for paint, I'm a heretic. I can tell you for a fact, the easiest paint to strip off it was the yacht enamel. Anyplace I had patched it with Home Hardware's Best Exterior Latex, I had a heck of a time.

All I aim for in finish is clean and smooth and protective. Drake will never be confused with a plastic boat.

Dave

latex paints are making more sense all the time. satin finish hides a lot of sins. the new latex paints have a stretch of up to 300% and it breathes. I dont know anything about long term but so far the only bad thing to say about a good latex on a 55 foot chris of a friend of mine is that it looks dirty sooner than the awlgrip boat its moored beside.

Always nice to see Drake.. do you have a cruise planned this season Dave?

Hi John,

No, no real cruise. Just as many short jaunts as possible. I seem to be tasked for more and more Vintage Aircraft flying -- all fun!

Dave

that rail down shot is "off the HOOK". thanks.

Thanks!

Bump, for my insurance person.

Dave

Well, there was a lot more painting I should have finished, but I decided to heck with it -- it's August, and time to put it in the water.

So, into the travelift...

Here's a view of her underbody. The main reason this boat is still in one piece 65 years after building is the 3/4 length cast-iron keel. It's not just ballast. It's a foundation (like a house), and stops all movement of the structure. Everything is bolted to that one big casting (9" x 11" x 20'), and since it can't move, neither does the wood, except for expansion and contraction.

...and into the water -- gently. (It's been 2 years since all the bottom planks got wet.)

The bottom swelled up quickly. Within an hour the flow was down to occasional use of one bilge pump. (But I've had water in the boat up to the floorboards, and in the centerboard trunk, for a month.) It helped that the launching area was full of algae. Clogs up the leaks!

Then up went the mizzen (the travelift there can't hoist with Drake's mizzenmast up), and away on her own.

Nice to no longer see large areas of flaking paint!

Dave

I love this thread. Great boat. I hope our ketches cross tacks one fine day.

A marvelous vessel!

At some point Mr.Hadfield,now that your big cosmetic job on the hull is all done(she looks like new! Bravo!), you're just gonna have to fetch yourself a wee rhum keg from down in "da islands mon" and put your boat right!

Cheers!

Peter "Lestat" Lenihan
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

The rum keg? She used to have one, in the 70s, when the owner, an airline pilot who flew the Caribbean a lot, could replenish it quickly and cheaply. But back then she was berthed in a yacht club with a night watchman!

Anyhow, the other day it was a bit windy and cool, and we wanted a snack, and hit upon the idea of "Blowtorch Nachos". These were great! We should have had this idea decades ago!

They vanished down to the last crumb!

Dave

I can't believe it's been so long since I posted on this thread.

Update -- Drake spent last season ashore while I spent the season flying A-330s, or the Curtiss P-40 Kittyhawk plus a variety of various vintage warbirds. Simply not enough weeks in the summer while I'm still employed.

However she was inside, resting well, and in the Fall I moved her to a storage facility near my home. A winter under cover! And as soon as the temp warms up to 10C or so, I will begin some work. She needs some deck repair, for which I've got to peel back the glass and see what damage some fitting-leaks have caused (hull is still perfect). PLus I've got to scrape and paint the port side to match her starboard.

I look at John B's photos and I get fired-up!

Dave

We're having such a mild winter here (finally) that I'm getting some work done on my ketch. Installed hawsepipes, replaced leech line, now replacing interior hinges and latches.

I LOVE large shallow draft cruising sailboats.

Here's how she looks now -- dirty-side-out!

Back to work on Drake. I've been digging into some soft plywood on the foredeck. And to take a break, got some of the port topside paint off in the last day or two.

I bought a weed-burning torch. Far superior to a small plumber's unit with a flame spreader crimped on. The big one makes the process much faster, and requires less scraping.

Gutsy. I'm not great at burning paint, I tend to char the wood. Electric heat is safer for me.

No guts required. Just patience and a decent set of shoulder muscles. It sounds a bit radical, but you soon learn to use a light touch on the torch, and to keep the scraper very sharp.

Here it is today, working away bit by bit. I love being under the fabric roof. The light is perfect, and yet the material is not greenhouse-hot. It reflects a lot of energy away. Wonderful to be dry and wind-free and bright and with space.

And here's one of the fore deck as a "before" picture. I'm facing aft, looking and the front end of the cabin, abou to (gulp) cut...

Whereupon I made a nasty discovery. The previous owner had "glassed-the-decks", but when this piece came away I saw that he had glassed over the existing covering, which was "Celastic", which is kind of like linoleum.

Drat!!! Of course there was a debonding, and horizontal movement of water. The epoxy had never linked-up with the wood. Sooooo.... I wsent home and came back with a wrecking bar.

It's amazing how fast you can take apart things when you don't need to re-use any materials.

Here, I've determined that the tabernacle has got to come off. It's always fun freeing up bolts that haven't moved for a quarter-century.

But move they did. And then I used a pig-tailed tackle to hoist the 250 lb galvanized-steel tabernacle to the overhead beams of the shed, and lower it to the ground. (Home-made wooden blocks rule!)

Then underneath, I looked with great trepidation at the wood... (How far would I have to rip? The front of the cabin???)
    Last edited by Dave Hadfield; 05-19-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Aha! Not too bad! There was delamination, and discolouration, but little actual rot. And the front of the cabin is all right.

The marine plywood was good-quality, and still hanging in there -- debonding, but still working.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Hadfield; 05-19-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Here's the prime culprit. This was the fore chainplate and the pump-out fitting hole. There was no sign on deck that water was getting through that fitting. Water was getting in at the chainplate by running down the shroud, then going through a crack between the chainplate and the deck-covering, and into the edge-grain of the deck plywood. Delamination. And debonding from the deck covering.

The reason there isn't much rot is that it's open underneath -- only one side of the plywood is sheathed. If it was encapsulated, like a fiberglass boat's deck often is, it would have been muck many years ago.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Hadfield; 05-19-2012 at 10:41 PM.

test -- I'm switching away from Photobucket. It's a hostile site when you have a slow internet connection. Glacial-slow, and it keeps crashing my Explorer. So I think I've figured out how to post photos onto my own website, and link from there. (Too bad the website is so out of date -- gotta update!)

I spent all day learning this stuff -- irritating... I would much rather have been at the boat. But at least I learned something. Maybe. I think.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Hadfield; 05-19-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Dave,

Could you take a series of photos of that tabernacle, and describe the construction. There aren't too many examples of heavy duty tabernacles for vessels of that size.

Thanks,

Bob

Wonderful to see news of Drake again as well as seeing her being taken care of before she becomes too much to deal with.

It's a good thing flying is in your blood too because if you keep digging around like that on the deck you may discover more than you hoped for and miss all three weeks of this years summer too

Best of luck with her rejuvenation Mr.Hadfield!

Did you ever get to take Mr.Charbonneau out on her?

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.