Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3121314 LastLast

Thread: Drake -- 40' LOD Munroe-influenced ketch

Default Re: Drake -- 40' LOD Munroe-influenced ketch

Very much enjoying following along your cruise. Looking forward to sharing an anchorage in the next couple years sometime !

Cheers,
    Mark

The return leg started delightfully. A friend flew me up there in her C-172. That was nice! There aren't a lot of options when travelling to Spanish River.

It was particularly interesting to look at some of the places we'd sailed as we flew by. In this photo we are over Tobermory, looking ahead at Fitzwilliam Island and Manitoulin beyond, with Lake Huron to the left and Georgian Bay to the right. (The prop is straight -- just a cellphone effect.)

Spanish has no airport, but Elliot Lake does, and a taxi ride was $75. This seemed expensive until I tried visualizing the hassle, and endless time wasted, if I'd tried to do it by Greyhound. Easy decision! (Thanks Wendy!)

The 172 is a 4-seater of course. Good thing it wasn't a 2-seater.

In the meantime I'd be called away for other duties.

And Robert was running a folk-festival and would join me in a week, at Kilarney. So I was solo.

But it felt good to be back! Drake was exactly as we'd left it.

As I was stowing ice and groceries, there was a knock on the hull: Bruce and Jackie from Escapade, whom I'd met during a raft-up earlier in the year. They had dinghied-over from an anchorage not too far away, and said come over! I said sure of course -- and then drafted Bruce to help me get the tender off Drake's deck.

It's bitttersweet to start the homeward voyage, but it's fine to get back on the water again.

We were in Cameron Bight, which once housed a large, busy, productive lumber mill. But now shows no trace.

They had promised fresh fish. My own catch record is fairly dismal, so I discounted this, but came on board their lovely modern yacht to be greeted by this fresh-caught meal: delicious!

Oh my, modern boats. Made of that other stuff. Really quite nice!

Here they are -- I stitched 2 photos together.

Next morning they came over to have a coffee on Drake. They were very polite -- but probably appalled by my 1950 cabin and amenities.

There was no wind, so I idled east, no rush at all on the voyage, looking for a place I hadn't been before, to drop anchor. I explored Oak Bay a bit, and risked anchoring in the first bight on the right, Hotham Island, where the chart warned of sunken logs and deadheads adrift. It looked OK to me...

Boat chores that afternoon, such as renewing another section of non-skid.

It was the kind of evening you hope for, and try to remember when you're underneath your hull in the spring eating dust and nursing your aching shoulders.

Ah, Hotham Island. I've tucked way back in their with a little sail-and-oar cruiser. Enjoying your commentary and photos--funny, a 1950s cabin and amenities looks pretty good to someone used to 1750s-era open boat amenities!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post
    Very much enjoying following along your cruise. Looking forward to sharing an anchorage in the next couple years sometime !

Cheers,
    Mark
    Looking forward to that!

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Ah, Hotham Island. I've tucked way back in their with a little sail-and-oar cruiser. Enjoying your commentary and photos--funny, a 1950s cabin and amenities looks pretty good to someone used to 1750s-era open boat amenities!

Tom
    I liked it there, although the rest of Oak Bay had too many cabins, being on the mainland.

Chased puffs of air all day, dawdling, and anchored in Cutknife Cove, Bedford Island, to watch the sunset. (Crowded harbour -- one other boat.)

Next morning I saw 7 eagles circling over the Cove. They were focused on something along the other shore. I looked at the map -- fish-farm!

East wind -- strange, and unwelcome, since it was in my face. But back down the Wabuno Channel to Little Current we could motor-sail. Drake's mizzen is sheeted to a track, and thus can be quite close-hauled. It's also made from a heavy fabric that sets perfectly, with a little adjustment of the outhaul. And it's a big mizzen, mounted farther forward than most ketches. So it's useful all by itself -- in fact, if you're careful with the rudder you can go upwind with it alone, although there is no balance.

Anyway, still full of ice and food, there was no reason to stop.

The bridge operator opened late and closed early -- jerk. He's supposed to have it open for :15 min on the hour. Maybe he was waiting for an Amazon package to arrive by truck? I had to motor in circles for an extra :05 min.

The forecast called for thunderstorms in the late afternoon, and the radar showed them coming across Michigan, so I motored dead into the wind, which I don't like. Ordinarily I'd either find a good place and wait, or tack my way upwind if the seas aren't too large. But there are no good anchorages near LC, and clearly time was of importance, so Heywood Island was the target. Slog - slog - slog, with Mr. Farymann working hard. (I may never make a happy trawler skipper...)

Browning Cove is huge, with scads of room. It's a major cruising harbour, so there are always boats.

There are 2 shallower arms as well; this time I idled well up the west arm. Of course when the centerboard is up we draw only 40", so Drake can wiggle in where most boats can't.

The long motoring day made me think of Mr. Farymann, so I gave him a medical check-up. Hmmm... diarrhea... in the tray underneath. It appeared to be coming from the oil-filter seal. The easiest way to fix that is to change the filter, and employ its new gasket, so I did an oil change. (Never throw away 4L containers when sailing! They are always handy for something: buoys, containers, or cut up for plastic trays and funnels, etc.) And that made me wonder about the water impeller, so while the water-pump was off so I could get at the oil filter (!!!) -- it's a raw-water cooling system with a belt-driven Jabsco pump -- I opened up it's back and inspected the impeller. Good thing I did!

That broken vane was lodged across the outlet. It still allowed enough water through for cooling, but I'm lucky it didn't get into the engine. Anyway, I had spares on board, so it was an easy fix. Which gave much relief! And BTW -- I never start Mr. Farymann without checking for water coming out the exhaust. Inviolable boat rule! It's saved the engine several times.

We spent an extra day in the Cove: unfortunately, I had just enough cellphone service to burden myself with answering emails. Stupid, I know, but hey... And I'd rather be on the boat doing correspondence than in my office at home.

When I poked my nose up in the morning, and watched a mink running along the shore, I thought, "Why move anywhere? Is an improvement even possible?" So it was another lazy delightful day, although the afternoon wind did rise as per the forecast to about 25 kts outside the harbour, leaving me feeling a bit righteously smug.

I can't resist Drake-photos. However I may almost have enough -- only another 10,000 to go.

Away next morning with the goal of getting close to Kilarney, to pick up Robert on the following day, we had light airs from the east -- on the nose. I was tired of motoring, so raised all sail including the genoa, and tacked towards the Lansdown Channel. Drake self-steers in conditions like that: steady wind ahead of the beam, and no big seas throwing the bow around. She'll just purr along for hours, while I walk around the boat with a cup of tea in hand. (There's no autopilot, although we once tried -- the play in the steering combined with the small rudder to fool the machine. It gave up, and so did I.) The wind rose to about 8 kts, and the sailing was perfect. It felt good. 5 kts steady boatspeed with zero sweat.

Unfortunately when in the Channel the wind rose to 15-20 kts, and we were overpressed with the genoa up. I know, I know, don't tell me, I should equip the boat with roller-furling. But Drake heaves-to very well, and that's what I did. Tacked but did not let the jib-sheet go, let the main all the way out, sheeted the mizzen into the lee corner, and she steadied down to a square-drift. The I went forward and lowered the genoa while it was backed. One step at a time. At this point I'd would ordinarily put up the working jib and drop the main, but I'd spotted another hide-away harbour nearby, and decided to anchor there for the night. So, I doused all sail and motored in to Snug Harbour -- aptly named!

repeat post
    Last edited by Dave Hadfield; 02-09-2020 at 11:49 AM.

A lot of the blocks used on Drake are made of... firewood. Yep, shells of black-cherry often sourced from my woodpile, with sheaves I've turned of ironwood or jotoba (left over from flooring our house), boiled in linseed oil, and strapped with treated manila, served with tarred nylon. Simple bronze pins. They work very well. Sometimes if used as jibsheet blocks the serving can get loose, and has to be re-done more tightly, but I've never had one break.

I put this one together while in Snug Harbour. It's fun to un-lay 3-strand rope and then re-lay it as a grommet (although this one is from English Braid Buff Polyester, not manila).

Twins, joined at the (s)hip.

Fall started announcing itself, with cool mornings and heavy dews, but perfect clarity.

This is why the harbour is Snug.

A bow-wash, as I motored out. (Can you feel the spray?)

I tried to get into Snug Harbour late one night under sail & oar--clouds of mosquitoes came out to meet my on my way in. I turned around and kept rowing down the Lansdowne Channel all night.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Thanks for the write ups and all the pictures! I love vicariously following along.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    I tried to get into Snug Harbour late one night under sail & oar--clouds of mosquitoes came out to meet my on my way in. I turned around and kept rowing down the Lansdowne Channel all night.

Tom
    It's worse in the far north, or inland in the Shield. The native peoples used to come down to the great lakes in early summer, and camp at river mouths like Pic River, to get away from the bugs.

That was my last day solo. Next morning I motored the couple of miles in a calm to Killarney, which is a narrow cut through the rock with a town along one side, and leads to open Georgian Bay waters. We docked at The Sportsman Inn, which is that big white building. And as I pumped-out and bought ice (Drake has a large top-loading ice-box, no fridge) and diesel, Robert arrived! (The test of a skipper is whether your crew ever comes back.) He brought groceries, and soon we were under way.

I was too busy to take pictures during the stop. But this one off the net shows Killarney well. It's just a cut in the rock. To the north is the Lansdowne Channel, to the south is Georgian Bay. It's a fudge-town.

The forecast predicted a strong wind warning from the NW. Favourable, but Drake's steering was still a little wonky when running downwind. Sometimes the one-way valves in the hydraulic unit would leak with a strong back-load, which you get when you're running big swells downwind, and then the wheel would spin free for a turn. So we decided to try Collins Inlet, which is a beautiful long narrow winding cut, very much like a river, through Killarney Park. In some years it's too shallow, but this year the Lakes were very high indeed.

Out the passage, into the open Lake for a bit; then Drake wound along the shore, while we admired the richly coloured rocks.

And entered the inlet, which is totally like a river.

With jib and (tiny) mainsail, plus mizzen, we had a superb passage of the inlet.

Picture-postcard views around every turn.

Drake's centerboard-up draft is only 40", so we had no worries.

In the middle is Mill Lake. Up until then we had been within high rock walls, and didn't realize how high the wind was rising. But entering the lake, we had the mizzen still up -- when we shouldn't have! It was a screaming 7-8 kt broad reach across the lake into the cut on the other side. The reason we don't have any pictures is that all hands were busy! And as soon as we re-entered the Passage on the other side and had a lull, DOWN came the mizzen.

We anchored at dusk in a shallow muddy inlet at the head of Beaverstone Bay, well-pleased! Great Sleighride of a day!

Next morning...

Out among the many islands... sometimes too many islands...

and onto Georgian Bay, and the great inland seas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    When I poked my nose up in the morning, and watched a mink running along the shore, I thought, "Why move anywhere? Is an improvement even possible?" So it was another lazy delightful day, although the afternoon wind did rise as per the forecast to about 25 kts outside the harbour, leaving me feeling a bit righteously smug.

I can't resist Drake-photos. However I may almost have enough -- only another 10,000 to go.

and you'll not likely get complaints.

Thanks for some beautiful photos of a sweet boat & lovely vistas.

We couldn't have asked for better conditions: a N wind strong enough to move us along well on a broad reach, which of course is an off-shore breeze there, so small waves and no great rollers. WE just sat back and watched the shore go by.

Which lasted for about an hour. Typical. Then the wind faded, and we bobbed along at 2-3 kts hull-speed for 2 hours. We took the route inside the Bustards, thinking to anchor there, but then the wind rose in the NW. We decided to keep going. BAD nav choice! We should have gone outside those islands. By going inside we had to make a jog to the NW to get back into open water (reefs; that shore has a million hard rock ledges), which put us straight into a building 15-20 kt breeze and swell. The Farymann laboured manfully for the required mile, but it was unpleasant. The waves were exactly pitched to stop us cold, slamming the bow. It seemed an endless slogging mile. And later we discovered that I should have replaced the forehatch gasket -- water on the foclse mattresses.

But eventually Drake won through, and we turned left for a broad reach along the shore.

Killarney's quartzite La Cloche mountains faded into the distance behind...

And we anchored at sunset in a tiny bay in front of a cottage (no one home) at Bigwood Island, at the head of the inlet to Britt.

Dave,

this cracks me up. I've been in exactly the same places in my little boat. Fun to see it from a "big boat" perspective.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

You're right Tom, and that's the advantage of shallow-draft. How many other 40-footers did we see in Collins Inlet? Zero. And that was a gorgeous sail -- a rare privilege, let me tell you...

Robert loves sunrises. I must admit to being more constitutionally attuned to sunsets, but I give him credit for getting us going in the morning. Usually the anchor was up before 08:00, and we never skipped breakfast.

"Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning..."

We went outside the rocks into the open lake again (there is a small-craft-route through the million islands and reefs, when the wind is howling or the sea-state high), and ran in a lovely N wind in one straight shot to Point Au Baril. We rolled a bit, so poled the jib out and kept the main-boom from flapping with a forward preventer.

A lovely 4-5 kts even with that ridiculous mainsail, and easy steering downwind with the mizzen down. Very pleasant.

Point Au Baril is a cottage community that started in the 1800s. Orville Wright had a place there. People used to arrive by train or steamer. Cottages are on most of the islands -- even most of the rocks. We went in to the small-craft route there, with the idea of anchoring in Shawanaga.

We wiggled and twisted and turned through that whole patch, then broke out into Shawanaga Inlet. This is like a medium sized inland lake, running N-S. And things were going so well that we decided to make the most of it, and keep going.

Short unedited video clip:

The north wind and sea had been building all day, surfing us along, and by the time we reached the entrance to our harbour, John Island, we shot through the entrance like a wet watermelon seed between your fingers. Another great day's run for Drake, 45 miles -- and anchor down by 17:00.

There was a terrible crowd there -- two other boats.

Up early again for another travelling-day, and though we started in a calm, by the time we'd passed Lone Rock and entered the open lake, a breeze filled in from the NW and we sailed downwind again to home waters. Another 40 miles, and we were back where we started, Beausoleil, where we anchored for one last night.

Next morning a short sail over to the marina, where Diane met us and picked up her voyaging husband. Thanks Robert, for being a stalwart shipmate!

Terrific voyage! I'm really glad I did it. It looks like in 2020 I'll be flying old airplanes more (the Lysander), so who knows when I'll have a chance to sail there again?

Anyway... back on the mooring... waiting...

Ö but not much more sailing. Sept was busy with 3 airshows plus my son's wedding, and October filled with flying too. All too soon it was late October, and time to back on the dock and strip the sails off.

And under the covers for winter...

Great story. Great thread. Thanks Dave!
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Really Nice Dave....Brings back memories of my years sailing Georgian Bay and the North Channel.

bump... for a friend during covid-19 self isolation

bump

Great! again and again.

What a great read, went from start to finish today. Some of the photos were lost around the post #260 region but still lots of amazing shots to enjoy. I loved all the instances of creative problem solving, especially when the mainsail tore and you cut sticks for battens. I also enjoyed the flashback to 2013! Does Chris sail with you or does he stick to solar wind?

I'm really sorry. Today's post kept crapping-out. "Time-Expired" even if it was under a minute. I tried 5 times. Website problems.

I gave up... but then drove to a recently-opened Home Hardware store. What a pleasure! Haven't been to one for 2 months! I gave them $600! With a smile!

And then went back to making damned boring furniture...

HI Dave- yes, enjoyed your story very much and am looking forward to just your sort of cruise next myself. A recent setback on my boat: I found some rot along the sheer from the stern in a cold molded boat. I thought it was localized but once opened up have had to chase it almost 20 feet to find good wood- water was getting in through toerail screwholes...
    anyway, will work the next month curing that.
    Meanwhile I fly a Helio Courier so I am interested in your Lysander stories. Cheers/ Bob

Helio Courier! That's a machine!

Sorry to hear about the decay. I know your pain.

I'm on Drake right now. I removed 2 things yesterday...

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Today was Day 12 of spring preparation for launch. Normally Iím in a mad panic because of all the warbird flying spool-up which happens about now. But this year, mostly grounded, Iím actually tackling the ďIím gonna paint that somedayĒ, items.

Itís kind of fun. Is this what retirement is supposed to be like?
    Attached Images Attached Images