Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 1011

Thread: Drake -- 40' LOD Munroe-influenced ketch

Default Re: Drake -- 40' LOD Munroe-influenced ketch

A little scotch helps soothe the nerves from the sound of the torrent I see.

Congrats on the launch, I think they'll have your starter soldered up in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    That's a worry Dave. I hope it is just the starter.
    I think so, John. It was running fine when I put it away. And turns OK by hand on the pulley. The electrical shop said they identified the problem and think they can repair it.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    A little scotch helps soothe the nerves from the sound of the torrent I see.

Congrats on the launch, I think they'll have your starter soldered up in no time.
    Thanks! And you know, in a wooden boat, it tastes fine out of a porcelain cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    I think so, John. It was running fine when I put it away. And turns OK by hand on the pulley. The electrical shop said they identified the problem and think they can repair it.
    O great, past experience has shown some of my friends that blown starters are actually hydraulic locked engines, so the alarm bells always ring for me.

So you might need your new mooring pendant, soonish?
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Ron, right, I don't know when I'm going to be able to pick it up. But no panic. They're at least a couple of weeks away from setting the moorings out. All the chains and such need to be inspected.

Hey, the starter was repaired. It was the classic "Wise Old Artisan" scenario. Hansen's Electric in Midland. He totally rebuilt it, sourcing parts from all over the place, pretty much all new guts, in just a few days. Then charged me half of what a new one would cost -- if you could find one, which you can't.

Then he gave me a good briefing on the industry going to crap, and d------d the Chinese. Perfect!

The Farymann fired right up, as if I ran it last week.

Dave

You could celebrate with a wee scotch, from a porcelain mug. Hope you have a great season, with lots of boat days. I liked your comment that things went well, didn't find any rot. The unsaid part being that those of who have and love our old wooden boats often do find a bit of rot here and there, we deal with it, it's just a bit of the ongoing maintenance, nothing disastrous. And then we go sailing.

I'm working in Meaford a bit,which is the best part of halfway...

I like to sip whiskey and rum out of an old mug.
    My current one came from my daughter when she went to Hofbrau in Munchen.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

I spent my teens in Meaford. I have only been back briefly a couple of times, but actually a lot of fond memories.
    last time I was there I helped a high school friend and I do some serious damage to a bottle(s?) of scotch...... no animals were hurt in this.....

On Drake we use shockcord to gather up the mainsail and the mizzen once they are lowered. The cord is pulled from one side of the boom, over the sail, and then hooked on the other side. The hooks were all plastic when we got the boat. One by one they have broken.

I replace them with copper.

These start off as this, 3/8" copper tubing from HD.

I flatten the piece using a wooden mallet on the surface of my table saw, then bend it to shape using wooden jaws in my vise.

They polish-up beautifully using Lee Valley's Green Honing compound on a felt wheel.

And in a few minutes are drilled and ready for installation.

It's a fun project on a winter evening, to make half a dozen small things out of copper.

Dave