Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Hadfield
    • Apr 2000

Thanks, everyone.

As for the rum barrel -- on a canoe? Mind you, if you flipped, you probably wouldn't care much.

I'll aske Pierre for a photo of where he mounted it.

Dave

Comment

• lestat
      • Nov 2001

Mr.Hadfield,
      Sorry for taking some time to get back on this,I've been attending to family matters.Unfortunately,upon inquiring through a number of friends,the only Lafortune family that builds(built?) boats are down in the Gaspé region. I went back to double check your earlier post to check the name correctly and saw that the Mr.Lafortune,in question,was a Doctor and not a pro boatbuilder.Thus,a dead end,so to speak.

However, it is hoped that you managed to acquire the address to his son(grandson?) whom you met in Ontario,as he may be the best source for any relevant family history regarding your boats' genesis.

Also, just caught up on a few of your recent postings regarding your Drake ex.Déferlante and must say congratulations on locating and entering into communications with M.Charbonneau!
      Indeed,you have tapped into a veritable well of stories regarding what I suspect was a busy but very happy part of your boats'past! It surely must be a wonderful experience for Mr.Charbonneau to have this splendid occassion to re-live glorious times spent with Déferlante and that beautiful picture of Mr.Charbonneau, on board Déferlante with cask on shoulder, is truly indicative of how happy a soul he was(is!).If you look closely enough,there is a twinkle in both of his beautiful dark eyes and a smile about to explode and turn that rugged face into that of one happy boy!

I will look forward to reading and following future stories of Drake ex.Déferlante as they become available and wish both you and Mr.Charbonneau many pleasent exchanges.Perhaps an invite to Mr.Charbonneau for a sail this summer is in the works? I'm sure it would be a treasured moment for both of you made all the richer for the rareness of such chance opportunities! Fair winds to you both!

Comment

• Dave Hadfield
        • Apr 2000

Thanks, M. Lestat.

Yes, the oldest photo there is from the grandson of Omer LaFortune. He sent me a few. I keep inviting him for a cruise, but he's got a job and family and until recently had a trimaran in Quebec, so we haven't got together yet.

Also I will certainly invite Pierre on board for a cruise. Whether he accepts will, I imagine, depend on his health. But his daughter Elaine corresponded with me, and she lives in Ontario. It's funny -- she said that when she was growing up (at the Yacht Club) she always wanted a modern boat, not an old wooden hand-me-down. But now, looking back, she realizes what a splendid thing it was to sail her and (within reason) look after her. Now she wants to show the boat to her son, a teen-ager, I believe. So we'll link up with her for certain.

Thanks for checking around about her.

Dave

Comment

• Dave Hadfield
          • Apr 2000

Here is an email I received from JF Bigras, the grandson of the builder of Drake, Omer LaFortune, after he saw this thread. Dave

Hi David,

Many thanks for sending this to me. I find all this fascinating. From what I know, what you have written seems quite accurate.

You know, when I read all this, I feel some pride. I am proud my grand father actually built that with his hands (and his brain of-course). I show these pictures to family, friends and colleagues.

What makes me very happy is to realize that this boat is still sailing and has "fallen" in such good passionate hands.

I will make it a mission to accept one of your invitations (if it comes again... I hope) next Summer.

Kind regards,

Jean-F.

Comment

• Paul Pless
            pinko commie tree hugger
            • Oct 2003

awesome post above, and an awesome thread, thanks
            Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• Dave Hadfield
              • Apr 2000

Bump, in order to reply to the Cetol thread in Resources, in which I maintain that good results can be had using the house-grade cetol as a wood covering.

Comment

• Alan D. Hyde
                • Jul 2000

Dave, your photos of Drake are the best arguement for Cetol I've ever seen...

Alan

Comment

• Dave Hadfield
                  • Apr 2000

Here's a photo sent to me by Pierre Charbonneau, the 2nd owner of my ketch. It's 24 years ago, and she's all dressed and being used for a movie (title unknown).

OOps. What gives? What a cumbersome way to post a photo. It didn't work. And what's with this 39kb size limit?

Once again, posting photos on the Internet is far, far harder than building a boat.

More research required....

Comment

• Dave Hadfield
                    • Apr 2000

OK, after getting advice from folks over in Misc -- Boats, I'll try again....

Last edited by Dave Hadfield; 03-15-2008, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Dave Hadfield
                      • Apr 2000

Bump. I want to show Drake to the crew of Marguerite, whom I took flying recently.

Comment

• Dave Hadfield
                        • Apr 2000

Bump, to show a photo of the stove installation -- very nice, the other night, at 28F!

Comment

• TomF
                          Recalcitrant Heretic
                          • Jun 2003

Thanks Dave. And thanks also for the stuff on your website 'round this - very interesting.

t.
                          If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• JimD
                            Senior Mumbler
                            • Feb 2002

Yes, nice to see this thread resurface.
                            There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Comment

• Dave Hadfield
                              • Apr 2000

Bump, once again, to show a friend what works well in a ketch.

Comment

• Jay Greer
                                • Nov 2004

Wow! What a lovely boat with a sweet sweeping sheer line.
                                I am reminded of Charles D. Mower designs.
                                JG

Comment

Working...