Thread: R/C & Scale model building, tips, tricks, tools and whatever you've got...

Default R/C & Scale model building, tips, tricks, tools and whatever you've got...

So like the title says, share what you have and know on the topic of model boats and ships.

I was apparently a really good boy this year because I got one of these along with all of the goodies to make it go... I'm very please I might add!

1940 Chris Craft Barrel Back 1/8th scale from Dumas Products

I have built quite a few models over the years but this will be my first try at a wooden boat and my first attempt at building anything R/C. So far it seems to be a really well thought out and documented kit but the test is in the building.

Now does anyone know where I can get little tiny silk flags? The stiff little paper one that came with the kit is not going to cut it for me.
    Nosce te ipsum

Default Re: R/C & Scale model building, tips, tricks, tools and whatever you've got...

One place on line is

www.modelshipworld.com

They discuss all kinds of models, static and RC. But there are dozens of web sites that cover ship models and modelling.

A couple of places to look for parts and stuff are model expo, bluejacket shipcrafters and (if they're still around) the
    Dromdedary in El Paso Texas (They don't have a website).

Regarding the flags, I can't remember the name, but I got some silk 16 star US flags from a place in England. If I can find it I'll post the name.

Hope that helps.

Harvey

Default Re: R/C & Scale model building, tips, tricks, tools and whatever you've got...

I used to build scale model sail, scale is difficult if you wish the model to function as wind and water are not to scale and blocks and rigging to scale are not strong enough unless the scale is large. The last models I built were of Tasman Trading schooners similar to this

the Alma Doepel, and she's still sailing. It was a tad over 6ft and had it's own bike trailer. She sailed over the horizon one sunny, windy day when the RC failed. Next boat was a canoe, then a sailfish. Never had time or skills for fine scale modeling but I did kitbash and scratch build some 00 scale rail models.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 01-02-2011 at 05:07 AM.

I build scale and RC models professionally. The link below shows pretty complete documentation of the construction of a 36" long radiocontrolled sailing model.

http://www.todddunnmicroyachts.com/2006/morris_m36.html

I am also going to start building a scale model of a Tripp Angler 22 later today. I will be posting my progress in hte "building & repair" section.

I am happy to answer questions about methods and suppliers for materials (I custom build all detail components).

Google south orange seaport society

Great club of which I had been a member for years before moving; They have electric, steam, and sail models, and many are quite incredible. John Gill made a model of the 60's amphibicar from scratch. Works on land, in water, and all the lights, including turn signals, work. And it's only about 14 inches long.

Tell them Danton sent you, and I have no doubt they'll be more than willing to provide advise.

As a side note, one of the things I once wrote Bolger about was the modeling of boats, expecially motor boats. His feeling, which he admitted others would argue with, was that you need at least 26" long models to properly compensate for the weight of the necessary batteries to get a fair idea of what the full sized boat will perform like.

This election vote for the party that believes in Evolution, Climate Change, a woman's right to maker her health decisions, raising the minimum wage, equal pay for equal work, more people having health insurance is a good thing, and thinks voting should be made easier to do.

Todd your work is amazing, I will be looking in on your build thread with interest.
    Do you mill your own scale lumber or purchase what you need from a supplier? If you mill your own what do you use for the job? I have been thinking that building a second model that I could give to my friend as a thank you for such a great gift, and depending on how the kit build goes, I'm thinking that I might like to make it a scratch build. What would you recommend tool wise for someone that would like to produce their own scale lumber, do you think that something like the Dremel 4" table saw is a good investment for wooden modeling?

capnharv I found www.modelshipworld.com a few days back, what a fantastic site! I don't think I could ever master the skill or patience some of those models require. I was browsing one of the threads over there and one person was metal casting their own miniature cannons.

skuthorp, I have an Uncle who lost one of his boats the same way.
    Nosce te ipsum

There is a scale boat forum on RC Groups.com. Here is the link. http://www.rcgroups.com/scale-boats-55/ .Lots of folks building scale boats with lots of knowledge and resource info.
    Good luck.

The wood I use is about half bought and half home milled. I buy balsa strips that I use to strip plank hulls. However, I mill all hardwoods to scale. I use a very simple method. I start by rough cutting the wood to thickness with my table saw or band saw depending on how big the raw stock is. Next I use a straight edge and exacto knoife to cut planks to a bit over the desired width. Then I run them through my milling machine to get them to the final width. Using the milling machine I can control width to +/- .002" with no difficulty.

The Tripp Angle I started work on today is being built as a strip plank hull in balsa. I will glass it for strength. I came down with a cold today so I may not get the firat installment up until tomorrow or Tuesday, depending on how I feel.

TD

Okay... I can say I'm not a fan of die cut plywood frames, at least not the ones found in this kit. I think maybe Dumas needs to check the alignment and edge on some of their dies...
    I also ran into a little sticker shock this morning when I picked up a bottle of CA glue, 2oz of Zap-A-Gap thick is $16.00 at the local hobby store. Does anyone know of an online retailer with good pricing on hobby supplies?
    Nosce te ipsum

This would go under "whatever you got"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuNt0...layer_embedded

That was fun I never would have though a little prop could ever get such a bite in snow... that boat was moving!
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    I came down with a cold today so I may not get the firat installment up until tomorrow or Tuesday, depending on how I feel.

TD
    You get alot of colds, don't you?
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    You get alot of colds, don't you?
    First one in nearly 10 years. I am close enough to normal to get back into the shop today.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    So like the title says, share what you have and know on the topic of model boats and ships.

I was apparently a really good boy this year because I got one of these along with all of the goodies to make it go... I'm very please I might add!

1940 Chris Craft Barrel Back 1/8th scale from Dumas Products

I have built quite a few models over the years but this will be my first try at a wooden boat and my first attempt at building anything R/C. So far it seems to be a really well thought out and documented kit but the test is in the building.

Now does anyone know where I can get little tiny silk flags? The stiff little paper one that came with the kit is not going to cut it for me.
    Here you go. (scroll down) http://www.captainsmodels.com/
    Some people do not know how to divide websites into pages.
    They just want you to scroll down forever.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Okay... I can say I'm not a fan of die cut plywood frames, at least not the ones found in this kit. I think maybe Dumas needs to check the alignment and edge on some of their dies...
    I also ran into a little sticker shock this morning when I picked up a bottle of CA glue, 2oz of Zap-A-Gap thick is $16.00 at the local hobby store. Does anyone know of an online retailer with good pricing on hobby supplies?
    Forget that stuff!!! (CA glue), Very toxic and dangerous. Makes your eyes sting. Just use yellow wood glue or Devcon 5 minute epoxy available at any hardware store. Could make you sick if your immune system is down. I do not have proof of that but the first time I bought some of that CA glue it really bothered me and smelled very toxic and made my eyes water.
    Last edited by donald branscom; 01-05-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSam View Post
    This would go under "whatever you got"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuNt0...layer_embedded
    Ut-OH!!!! I think you started something!!!
    Wait till Arneson surface drives finds out about this. SNOW POLICE VEHICLES ???
    JAMES BOND STUFF. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    I build scale and RC models professionally. The link below shows pretty complete documentation of the construction of a 36" long radiocontrolled sailing model.

http://www.todddunnmicroyachts.com/2006/morris_m36.html

I am also going to start building a scale model of a Tripp Angler 22 later today. I will be posting my progress in hte "building & repair" section.

I am happy to answer questions about methods and suppliers for materials (I custom build all detail components).
    Very nice model!!!
    Thanks for sharing the photos.

I use a lot of CA. It does irritate your eyes, but isn't a problem if you have adequate ventilation. You need very little of it. I suspect most people use a lot more than they need. I buy mine at either

Tower Hobbies - http://www.towerhobbies.com - $5.99 for 2 oz of medium or thick

or

National Balsa - http://www.nationalbalsa.com/ - $9 to $10 for 2 oz of medium or thick

I'll be building in my garage with adequate ventilation so I should be okay as far as fumes go. I was thinking about using non hobby specific glues but I'll build this first one to spec before I start changing things up I think. My friend spent a lot of money buying this for me and I would hate to muck something up because I was experimenting, I'll save that until I'm on my own dime.

Todd, thanks for the link. I'm finding that most everything from a brick and mortar hobby store is much more expensive than it is online. Smart shopping would seem to really pay for it self when it comes to hobby goods.

Donald, thank you for the source for silk flags, it's just what I was looking for.
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 01-05-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    Nosce te ipsum

Myson and I used Titebond3 and West with slow hardener for coating/filletting and West 5 minute this last summer building our Star Sharpies up at WBS. Results(coated but not painted) in the B&R section above.
    Brute force and ignorance, all in one bulky and unappealing package

Even if it cost a little more , we have a great hobby shop in our town and I like to use them so they can stay in buiness and are around when you need something quick. Computers can hurt local economys.

It sure was.

This election vote for the party that believes in Evolution, Climate Change, a woman's right to maker her health decisions, raising the minimum wage, equal pay for equal work, more people having health insurance is a good thing, and thinks voting should be made easier to do.