Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building Iain Oughtred´s Skiff "Spike" (Pike)

Default Building Iain Oughtred´s Skiff "Spike" (Pike)

I am slowly starting up to build Iain Oughtred´s 12 ft Skiff "Spike".

Designer: Iain Oughtred
    LOA: 12' 3"
    Beam: 4' 2"
    Displacement: 130 lbs.
    Propulsion: Sail, oar, Sail Area: 60 sq. ft
    Skill Level to Build: Intermediate

Spike is slightly different to Oughtred´s previous design: Pike: Spike´s stem is straight

2019 I have built "shoe" for my Spike. This shoe is my own design. With this feature boat is convertible from sailing/rowing to motor-version for an 5 hp gasoline-outboard. See building report under:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ail-motor-sail

Regards,

Christian
    Last edited by Pateplumaboat; 07-11-2019 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Adding option for convertible "Spike" (with shoe)
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Default Re: Building Iain Oughtred´s Skiff "Spike" (Pike)

Christian,
    Your project looks great! I launched an Oughtred 'John Dory' this past August (see beecher's 'new member' thread from just over a week ago). I did the raising rudder design also, and glad I did though it was a challenge and took some extra time. It's my first boat -- Iain's drawings provided such solid guidance and never failed me, as long as I studied them long enough and made sure I understood them. This rudder makes it so much simpler to run 'er up on the beach, or otherwise keep it out of danger in other situations. I'm still working out some details for running the up/down haul lines conveniently, using cam cleats to lock them in, etc.

You can find a link with my pics in one of my posts on that thread.

keep us posted, and Happy New Year!

Thanks Beecher, your John Dory looks great.
    Last year I finished the slightly smaller version of Iain Oughtreds Dories, the "Amberjack" = "Sickleback".

Probably you have seen my pictures of this dory on website:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Pateplum...at=directlink#

I sailed and rowed Patepluma all summer 2010 and my experience sailing the dory needs still improvement.
    Yes, you where right to construct the the kick-up-rudder in the first place. I am changing my rudder on the Patepluma now.
    The new (and second boat-) Project I am doing now now is : Spike (12 ft Skiff, Design by Iain Oughtred)

I will build it as the boat-building virus also has infected me and I wanted to build again a "simple to construct" boat but smaller and lighter than Amberjack with the main use for sailing but also with a transom for small outboard. Again I decided to use plans from Iain as Amberjack´s plans where perfect, and what you say is correct about studying them long enough one understands them. This is part of the fun.

My rudder for Spike will be kick-up (not shown in Spike´s plans) and I copied the basic Ideas for such rudder from plans of Ians design of Amberjack.

As I am not leaving my boat in the water, and I am beaching the boat and taking it out onto the trailor at remote places, weight was a major issue selecting Spike as my next project, as I am sailing/rowing also without crew and sometimes alone.

Regards from Austria
    Christian
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Very much enjoyed your photos of your building process and end result (Patepluma), and not to mention the great Austrian scenery! Your care and likely greater woodworking skills allowed you to finish all "bright" ...very beautiful. I used a screw clamping method that you can see in the 'dory construction' album. That left holes to fill. I have a mentor, a friend who is an instructor at WB school and a neighbor, teach me this technique. I wish my German was more up to snuff, so I could read the paragraph describing your first sail. It reminded me of mine-- the whitecaps seemed to appear out of nowhere, and the 3 ft waves (big to me!) were a little shocking. We seem to be at a similar stage in the development of our sailing skills. I have not single-handed yet -- well, one attempt that did not go well. To me it implies managing the trailer and launch alone too, and while I think eventually I'll master it, I'm not there yet.

I started using Williwaw before several things were finished, so I could get out before bad weather and before my son left for school. So this winter I am finishing oars, varnishing spars and finishing up other varnishing and paint amendments, making floorboards, and a few other items. I had to let go of the compulsion to make it perfect before taking her out. I'm glad I did, now I have a long Vermont winter to do those things.

I like your 'slip launch' also. Much of what I've learned about getting out is choosing an intelligent launching site where I won't damage the boat, or me, getting it off the trailer. The John Dory supposedly weighs around 230 lbs according to the specs, but I think mine weighs more... I'm re-designing how she sits on the trailer, adding rollers, etc.

I think I'll explore Achensee and the River Inn on Google Earth.

Best to you,
    Andrew

Thanks Andrew, good to hear similar experiences sailing your Dory.
    Coming spring/summer I will gain more experience by using newly adopted kick-up-rudder and I also will try to use sandbags or water-containers to give Patepluma more stability if sailed. I also test if boom for spritsail is a thing worthwhile to have. I am interested how your Lug-sail is behaving, it looks great on the boat.

Patepluma´s weigth is about 140 lbs (without floorboards, without daggerboard, without rudder). I guess it is about 160 lbs with this items but without spars/sails) and this weight is about the limit I can take the boat out from a "natural" launching site using a slip-trailer without a winch. The combination of a slip-trailor with the main-trailer having a winch where I can pull up the boat sitting on the slip-tailor is very important for me.
    But neveretheless, it is difficult to find ramps with slopes one can single-handle such weight.

This was the reason I have chosen a lighter design for my second boat (Spike). I will try to save in weight wherever possible, but this time I will build including flotation-chambers.

Now we have wintertime but I am continuing building the Spike, but slow progess as it is cold in the garage and Epoxy does not like low temperature.

A happy new Year to You and Your Family,

Christian
    Last edited by Pateplumaboat; 01-08-2011 at 06:08 AM.
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Hi Christian, looking good so far. I'll be following your project with interest, as I am also looking to downsize to a similar sized skiff for use on the local lakes.

A few questions:

• Are you going to round over the top side of the chine log (batten) so that it cannot collect water?
    • How many thwarts and rowing stations?
    • Do the plans show floors or ribs for the lapstrake version?
    • Will there be floorboards?

Lance
    "Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors". African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Songololo View Post
    Hi Christian, looking good so far. I'll be following your project with interest, as I am also looking to downsize to a similar sized skiff for use on the local lakes.

A few questions:

• Are you going to round over the top side of the chine log (batten) so that it cannot collect water?
    • How many thwarts and rowing stations?
    • Do the plans show floors or ribs for the lapstrake version?
    • Will there be floorboards?
    Lance
    Lance, thank you for comments and questions.
    Checked your coordinates and found out that we are not far away if one relates this to the global boatbuilding community.
    If one looks it from the size of our small countries, we are far away. Still, seems that our main sailing is happening in Alpine lakes.

Now to your questions:
    [*]Are you going to round over the top side of the chine log (batten) so that it cannot collect water?

Iain Oughtred shows in his plans alternative chine-geometry with rhomboid shape of chines. I will go for the standard rectangular shape. I think the issue of collecting water between chines and planks is not very important for me as I will take boat out of the water regulary. Rounding off alone would take away too much of wood if one wants to avoid water-accumulation. Yes, I intend to round off a little bit to avoid hurting my feet but only small rounding in order not to take away too much wood due to structural reasons.
    [*]How many thwarts and rowing stations?

Only one thwart and one rowing station. Two would difficult to place in 12 feet skiff. For me one is ok as I will go mostly alone with this skiff. If I have 2 rowers I will use my Amberjack (Pateplma) Dory.
    [*]Do the plans show floors or ribs for the lapstrake version?

The plans do not show floors. Probably I will paint floor using a non-slip additive.
    Ribs? There are 5 frames and the cross the floor. Frames will be glued on after hull is turned around.
    [*]Will there be floorboards?

Not shown on drawings. As I want to save weight wherever possible, probably I will not put floorboards. Probably will paint floor with anti-slip additive.

Have a nice weekend and Regards from Tirol,

Christian
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

About the lug rig: I am pleased with the simplicity, however with my limited experience I don't have much to compare to. I have to get better at tuning the rig, efficiently tightening the downhaul by the mast, and arranging things so my boom doesn't ride too low (I want to tack/jibe with less risk to mine and my mates' noggins).

I need to post a question to the Forum on using a strap or tie-down to keep the boom more nestled against the mast, and/or ask my friend about it. The only thing holding it when the wind is on the opposite side (pushing the sail and boom away vs against the mast) is the downhaul...maybe that's all that's necessary. (?)

Interesting to hear from you mates in Europe-- hello, Songololo. I too checked your position. My oldest brother worked in Bad Aibling in the 70's. On Sunday I send my son off to Italy to study at the University of Bologna for the spring. I have two rowing stations on my dory, could have three. Looking forward to trying it fully manned-- so far have only had one pair of oars in action.

best,
    Andrew

http://picasaweb.google.com/afulton6...nUu7byv67m2gE#

Andrew, I am not an expert on the lug rig as I sail my Amberjack (Patpluma) with a sprit-rig. I am stll thinking what rig I will put on the Spike. Most of the Iains designs I can see on the Internet and in the literature are sailed with lug rigs. There must be a reason for that.

But most probably there are solutions for your problem. I have seen solutions in Books where small boats with Lug-Sail are discussed:

- Pyson: Build the new instant Boats
    - Nichols: The Working Guide to Traditional Small-Boat Sails
    - Kolin: Building Catherine

Basically all books show that in addition to a downhaul the boom of the lug-rig is hold back to the mast by a half-hitch and secured by an additional cleat on the mast or alternatively a (removable) parrel-line fixed onto the boom is holding back to the mast.

and also in the forum/Internet:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...anced-Lug-Yard

or here with nice drawing made by John Bell (Post #6)

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...(-Balanced-Lug-)

See also those 2 pictures below pasted in from website http://www.storerboatplans.com/GIS/GISRigging.html

Regards from Austria,
    Christian
    Last edited by Pateplumaboat; 01-08-2011 at 03:44 AM.
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Here some progress pictures of my second wooden boat: Spike

Rudder details (I did my own design for a kick-up rudder based on Iain Oughtred´s design shown on his plans for Amberjack Dory)

Captain Moises showing intermediate stage of rudder construction. Rudder not yet shaped, just intermediate construction-photo!

Regards from Austria and happy new Year!

Christian
    Last edited by Pateplumaboat; 03-20-2011 at 02:37 PM.
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Thanks-- very helpful pictures.

" Most of the Iains designs I can see on the Internet and in the literature are sailed with lug rigs. There must be a reason for that."

Iain uses a gunter if he wants performance, as in J11. Most use lug as more traditional, and much less string and fittings= quicker set up. I have the gunter, but if starting again, would go lug. (And still might) Tho it is nice to out point the luggers and sail through their wind.......

Nice work going on there. Hat off to you.
    A

Andrewe, thanks for comment about the lug-sail. I also prefer a "simple" rig with short spars and therefore lug or sprit sails rigs is the way I want to go for the Spike.

I do have a sprit-rig on my Amberjack Dory "Patepluma" and the size of the sail would also fit the Spike. I could use my sprit-sail and save costs.

The (boomless) sprit rig I am sailing on the Amberjack is working fine. I also prepared a boom which can be easily fixed with an additional snotter to the mast. This combination has a better performance going before the wind. But the boom is "in the way" while tacking.

Now I am thinking if I should go to a lug-sail. Iain Oughtred was so kind to send me also design for lug-rig (Ian´s original sail plan show Sprit-rig and also Chesapeake sprit (leg o mutton). But, where are the advantages/disadvantages of the lug compared with the sprit?

One solution would be to install 2 mast-positions. With this I could experience both rigs. But at an additonal cost.

Regards,
    Christian
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Humm. Any rig without a foresail will suffer from lack of slot effect. I would expect a lug to do better than a sprit, but I am not sure why, aspect ratio? . Interesting that Francois Vivier has several lugs with foresails in his lists The Doris 5mt under discussion elswhere being one. Thinking about aspect ratio, MIk's GIS and Iren's Romaly have very high a/r for lugs, and performe accordingly.
    Andrew

New Construction pictures of building Spike (Apron, Transom, Chines) see under
    https://picasaweb.google.com/Pateplu...gnIainOughtred#

Regards,
    Christian
    Last edited by Pateplumaboat; 03-20-2011 at 02:38 PM.
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Christian: She's looking good. Can you tell me what the beam is on the bottom of the transom and on the bottom of the boat at its widest point?

Quote Originally Posted by SScoville View Post
    Christian: She's looking good. Can you tell me what the beam is on the bottom of the transom and on the bottom of the boat at its widest point?
    SScoville, just coming in from hanging planks on Spike.
    I am using 5 mm ply-planking and with this I just measured:
    Beam on bottom of transom: 505 mm = 19,9 inch
    Bottom of boat at its widest: 815 mm = 32, 1 ich

Regards from Austria
    Christian
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Thanks. That's more narrow than I hoped it would be. I'm looking for a skiff about that size and like the rig and dagger board arrangement. I want to be able to stand and walk around in the boat, however, and I'm afraid with such a narrow bottom the boat will be quite tender. I suppose I'll have to wait on you finish and let me know.

Which length are you building, 11’ 9”,12’ 9”, or 13’ 3”?

Which length are you building, 11’ 9”,12’ 9”, or 13’ 3”?
    SScoville, I am building 12'-3" x 4'-2" as shown in Iain Oughtred´s Spike plan (Sheet 1 of 5) by spacing stations 24".
    Length you mention can be done using different spacing of stations (23", 25" or 26").

Regards,
    Christian
    Last edited by Pateplumaboat; 09-11-2012 at 12:46 PM.
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Thanks. That's more narrow than I hoped it would be. I'm looking for a skiff about that size and like the rig and dagger board arrangement. I want to be able to stand and walk around in the boat, however, and I'm afraid with such a narrow bottom the boat will be quite tender. I suppose I'll have to wait on you finish and let me know.
    SScoville, I think it will always depend from type of use. I will use Boat mainly for sailing/rowing on lake and rivers/canals and I am building in flotation as shown in plans to allow kids to learn sailing. I have build an Amberjack-Dory (see my Patepluma website, finished last year) and the Dory is quite tender. It has been built mainly for rowing, but in practice I use her mainly for sailing. This boat is a typical light dory and it is great for rowing and sailing and my "Mother-ship".
    The Dory is fun to sail but in stronger winds needs an experienced sailer used to "expose himself to the elements" (which I hope I am being an "Ex-Windsurfer")

But the "boat-building bug" hit me and now I wanted a second boat and my choice was Spike.

Reason for this decision:

- Easy to be built but still elegant and nice boat. Was going to a Oughtred design again as Iains Boat-lines do have "a touch of art"

- More stability compared with the Dory I have built

- Lightness: To be able to handle boat without help on my own or for kids. Easy to go onto trailer. I do not know yet if I can car-top Spike, will see if this is possible, neveretheless I will be able to use my trailer I have for my

- Use mainly for sailing (boat should be fun to sail) , but also good to row and optional small outboard motor (2 hp Honda or similar or Torqueedo electric outboard)

- Flat bottom and kick-up rudder. Both very important for easy beaching. Don´t need mooring-place, I like to change places

- Inclined transom (similar but wider than a Dory aft) to be able to go through a surf (If wave hits from the backside) for the (rare) cases I will use this boat on the shores of the Adriatic-Sea between Venice and Grado

- Build-in flotation

- Easy and fast to rig (Sprit-Sail or Lug-Sail or Chesapeake-Sail)

SScoville, you mention that you "want to be able to stand and walk around in the boat". Most probably you are thinking to build a boat which is more apt for using more outboard-power or you intend to use boat mainly for fishing. In this case probably there are probably other boats which could be a better choice for you.

The choice I made building Spike was influenced reading some books about wooden boats. In this connection
    I recommend following read: Pete Culler on "WOODEN BOATS", page 62 ff where he writes about "FLAT BOTTOMS":

"Whether for rowing, or sailing, or power, the flat-bottomed skiff should not be too wide. She can, under most circumstances in fact, be rather long and slim. The freeboard should be rather low, by today´s standards. A wide, hight craft becomes unmanageable except in the lightest weather. She must not sit deep in the water whe not loaded".

And further down in the book on page 65: "For many uses, nothing does quite so well as the flat bottom, cost and ease of building aside. Handiness on the beach, ease of hauling up with plank and rollers, even with considerable size and weight, and shoal draft often overshadow other needs. With proper design, a flat-bottomed skiff can row extremely well, not quite as well as more complicated models, but outstandingly compared to most rowing craft accepted nowadays...."

... "These skiffs can be very good sailers too; they are usually useful boats. If you desing for it, a very fast boat is possible...."

Regards from Austria
    Christian
    Last edited by Pateplumaboat; 04-02-2011 at 02:54 PM.
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Made some progress building Spike: Planks finished and bottom glued today:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Pateplu...59458826906210

Regards,
    Christian
    Last edited by Pateplumaboat; 04-02-2011 at 02:56 PM.
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Spike turned over during weekend.

Picture: http://picasaweb.google.com/Pateplum...44386163692066

Regards,
    Christian
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Christian, looking good! How much do think she currently weighs? Will you be going for a sprit or lug sail? Where will you have the sail made?

Lance

Christian, looking good! How much do think she currently weighs? Will you be going for a sprit or lug sail? Where will you have the sail made?

Lance
    Lance, I will have to put her on a scale. Will do that at the weekend for you. Also I am interested how much it will be at the state she is now. She is very light now. 5 mm ply for planking only!

Anyway, frames daggerboard-case, rubbing-strakes, thwarts, raisers, flotation-chambers, Epoxy-fillets and some hardware still missing and will add up some weight.

Sail: Sprit-Rig similar as on my dory "Patepluma" ordered from http://www.tuchwerkstatt.de/product/segel.html
    In fact you see a picture of my boat with the sprit-rig on their website.

Regards,
    Christian
    Last edited by Pateplumaboat; 05-07-2011 at 01:46 PM.
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Lance
    Lance, here my answer to your first question regarding current weight:
    Current weight is about 40 kg (88 lbs). This is with planking, keel, stem, chines and gunwales only.

All the rest will add about 18 kg (39 lbs) more. Therefore total weight without sailing-rig, without daggerboard, without oars will finally be about 58 kg (130 lbs). Will check again when boat is finished

Weighting was done with simple bathroom-scale and I checked this data by calculating volume of wood multiplied with specific weight of marine plywood (5 mm sides, 10 mm bottom) /oak/ash. Data was more-less confirmed and fits with the 130 lbs mentioned on websites-resources about Spike-plans.

Regards,
    Christian
    Last edited by Pateplumaboat; 04-15-2011 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Weight corrected
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Some progress achieved on building spike: Placed daggerboard case today.

Weight of boat now: 56 kg almost finished.
    Still missing covers of buoyancy-chambers, side-seats, hatches, fittings and hardware, gwl. rubbing-streakes, bilge-keel, epoxy-fillets and final finishíng/oil/paint.
    See progress pictures under:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Pateplu...gnIainOughtred#

Regards,
    Christian
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

More progress on building Spike: Boat almost completed. Still missing: Sidebenches, finishing/sanding/painting, hardware, mast and sprit.

Regards
    Christian
    Last edited by Pateplumaboat; 07-12-2019 at 05:20 AM.
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Oh, looking good Christian!

Thanks Songololo.
    Slowly progressing, lots of travelling for business. Took the chance to visit Mystic Seaport and Wooden Boat Show last month.

Regards,
    Christian
    Last edited by Pateplumaboat; 07-12-2019 at 05:20 AM.
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

SScoville - the figures given by Christian are comparable to those used by Pete Culler for his 13' 6" and 15' 8" Good Little Skiffs and 14' 6" Wheelbarrow Boat. Chapelle (in ASSC) says that maximum beam should be not much more than 1/3 of the lenght whilst bottom width should only be about 1/4 of the length.

Regards

Nick

This weekend (11th August 2011) I have launched Spike.

This 12 feet skiff is my second boat after I have built an Amberjack/Stickleback Dory from Designer Iain Oughtred.
    Spike performs excellent on the lake and I have Spike build to row, motor and sail.

I am very satisfied with this build and it was the right choice for the duties this boat will have to fulfill.

Motoring with an Torqeedo 1003 is surprisingly fast for this small motor.

Visit my website with fotos as in my signature.
    Regards from Austria

Christian
    Last edited by Pateplumaboat; 10-31-2011 at 04:55 PM.
    Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Wow, she is stunning. She certainly sails on an enchanted lake. Watch out for the Lorelei.
    “Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily" Johann Von Schiller

Very nice! I love the artistry of the different contrasting woods.