Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fellow boat builders in central va

Default Re: Fellow boat builders in central va

The draketail pair thoroughly enjoyed our visit. It's not really a bad trip from Lexington; two hours, all interstate.

It was a pleasure to get with folks who talk boats. In the words of my wife "what are you doing building a boat in the mountains?" The conversations covered both boat building and also being on the water. Nice to discuss construction details with other people who are building boats and also who work around existing Chesapeake Bay work boats. And, coming from the mtns, it was nice to hear the casual discussion of being on the water. Don't get much of that in our area.

And, it seems that Bill (ILikeRust) has at least as bad an old tool habit as I do. Further discussions of "old arn" are in order.

Thank you, Ed, for providing the impetus and location for a delightful day. I agree with all above that another gathering is in order. I'll offer to host here in Lexington when it comes time to turn the draketail, but that may be a while..... Anybody else before then??

Thanks all,

Grigg and Brian
    (big and little draketail)

Thanks Ed for organizing and hosting this session. You had asked for somebody to bring a camera and take pictures, nobody did. What's this in the age of picture taking cell phones? Anyhow here are some pictures I found around the net to show what it all was about.

Draketail's Draketail Impressive, check it out at http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...l-construction

IlikeRust's other passion, old tools.

jacketch's sketched his melonseed model he is building on a napkin while having pizza.

marshcat showing of how it is on the water on warmer days.

The host Woodboatcoop is building his version of the lumberyard skiff
    He isn't quite at this stage yet, but getting close.

ediebou is building a replica of the Potomac River Dory like this picture, keeping up the local workboat tradition.

And I built a Nutshell, but the forum doesn't let me attach more than 6 pictures.

Hopefully we can do this again some day.

Egbert

Egbert,

Why don't you post another reply so we can see pictures of your nutshell? Then you can put up 6 pictures of your boat........

Man I am sorry I missed this. I have been off the forum for a few months. I am in Northern Va but get down to Northern Neck and Richmond often. I am building on the Northern Neck actually. Put me on the list for next year. I was actually out at Richmond on the 22nd for the fishing show working a booth for a high school fishing team. Sounds like a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Draketail View Post
    And, it seems that Bill (ILikeRust) has at least as bad an old tool habit as I do. Further discussions of "old arn" are in order.
    I think the main difference between us is available space. If I had a few acres and a decent-sized barn or two, I would be dragging home more arn than I have already. And my wife likely would be signing the involuntary commitment papers. As it is, she actually has said to me in the past that she thinks I need an intervention. And then I bring home something even bigger, heavier, rustier and greasier than the last big, heavy, rusty, greasy thing I brought home.
    - Bill T.

"How many politically-correct people does it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

"Look, I don't know, but that's not funny."

Quote Originally Posted by ejds View Post
    IlikeRust's other passion, old tools.
    Ha!

That's actually not too far off my last big machine acquisition. Here is an actual picture of the saw I picked up a month or two ago:

And here I am standing next to it as my buddy and I were disassembling it for transportation home:

It was a good time - but I'll just put in my request now that we shoot for a day when the temperature is at least above 30 degrees! Or we hold it at someone's enclosed, heated shop.
    - Bill T.

Egbert,

Why don't you post another reply so we can see pictures of your nutshell? Then you can put up 6 pictures of your boat........
    Ok, here is the Nutshell.

And the same in action.

After this frigid weather hopefully clears up soon and the ground thaws out I can start buiding an addition to my workshop to accomodate my next dream, a Bluejacket 25.5

Egbert

Thanks everybody for coming out on a terrible cold day. Next time we will plan on a warmer time of the year. Sometimes you just have to pick a day and go with it. You can only talk about something for so long and just do it. Cut a tree down, grab a beer and build a boat. Thorne, there was a pitcher on the table for you. I got a couple of uprights cut for the forward seat this week. Sometimes baby steps are all you can do. It is reassuring to find there are people that want to take time to build a quality project with their own two hands. It was great to see constructive ideas given in good faith, not putting one down but just honest help. America is not dead yet.
    Do what you think is right, for you will be criticized in the end anyhow.

OK, the day has come. I want a new/ or used/ reconditioned thickness planer NOW! I can't stand the down time to order and wait shipment. Need at least 15", gotta have 2 speeds. Any suggestions?

15"? ouch. That be a large planer. I get by with my Ryobi AP-10, which as the model # implies is a 10" wide surface planer. If you can live with a tenner and find a Ryobi used, get it. She is a beast.

No, not looking for a toy. I've got a HEAVY ( 3, maybe 4 hundred lbs with motor and stand) duty 12" now, it's just too slow. For the last few years I've been getting by with it, but the day has come! I'm ready for an upgrade.
    Surely, someone within a 100 mile radius has one to sell.

I've got a Delta 15" planer - but you can't have it!! I got it via Craig's list a few years ago - it was like new and I paid about half of what it would have cost new.

I see planers on Craig's list often, but typically they're 12" or 13" - but larger ones do come up. Search the Annapolis, Richmond, and Norfolk Craig's list.

Another option would be to come on down to Richmond on a Saturday morning and visit Dempsey and Co. He's got a lot of machinery and his prices are not terrible. He tends to have more metalworking than woodworking stuff, but he does also get some woodworking machinery.
    - Bill T.

I was in Dempseys on Saturday, 2/12. He had some large planers, but they looked like a bit of fettling was required....

Yeah, been to Dempseys. I'm thinking about Grizzly 15" spiral cutterhead, but will check Harper's hardware and woodcraft tomorrow. I don't want worn-out junk. I've got tools from all major maufacturers. I don't see any difference, they're all made in Taiwan. Powermatic is no diferrent, just more expensive.

http://huntington.craigslist.org/tls/2222332418.html

Depending where you are on the NN, you are about 8 hours away. Not sure if the price merits the drive.

Well, I was all fired up to get a new 15" pwermatic with helical indexable cutterhead for damn near $3000.00, when I got an offer I couldn't refuse: A slightly used grizzly 15" for $400.00. And only 18 miles from my house. I got it hooked up yesterday, and started planing my bottom stock. I love it when a plan comes together!

Saw this and thought of Draketail's project:

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/2178229902.html

Absolutely minimum information, and no picture, but it does say that this is a work boat with a "Wooden round stern Hull."

Dang... Don't temp me like that.

That posting is gone.... What was it?

Listed as a round stern deadrise. Diesel powered if I remember. No pictures, so don't know if it was a true draketail or if the round stern sloped the other way....

Have you all checked out Deadrise.com?

Yes, I've seen it once or twice, but I haven't made a habit of checking in there regularly like I do here.
    - Bill T.

Hello,

I am located in a place called Lanexa in New Kent County VA halfway between Richmond and Williamsburg, Virginia I would be interested in meeting with other Central VA boat builders for kibbitzing etc. I recently ordered the plans for the Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff. Can't stop dreaming about this boat. I think I have built in my mind about a hundred times already. Hope to buy the materials for the strong back soon and get started.

cheers,

John

John,

I don't know when the next Central VA boat builders gathering will be. I'm hoping to get my draketail to the point it needs to be turned over. With any luck our upcoming Spring Break will give me enough concentrated time to make a difference. Sounds like an excuse for a gathering. Perhaps in late May or early June?

But, we'll be sure include you. In the meantime, good luck with the skiff. Be sure to post pictures of your build as you go along.

Check out deadrise4sale.com, that is where we found Slackwater, the deadrise we bought last fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Genther View Post
    Check out deadrise4sale.com, that is where we found Slackwater, the deadrise we bought last fall.
    Gorgeous. I love me some traditional Chesapeake Bay deadrise boats...
    - Bill T.

Slackwater was built in 1975 by Alvin Sibley on Broad Creek in Deltaville. 35 ft. Juniper on Oak.

I've seen the name Alvin Sibley a lot when looking at deadrises for sale. If I were going to buy a powerboat, it would be something very much like that.
    - Bill T.

Thanks. I just created a Facebook page for Wooden Boat Builders of Virginia, a recreational boat builder page. So hopefully some people will find and and contribute.

j

During his career Sibley supposedly built 95 boats 40 to 58 ft. long. No ides how many under 40 ft.

Thumbs up Re: Fellow boat builders in central va

jhva.. Give us a link to the facepage.. my search did not come up.. I live in Amelia.. 30 miles south west of Richmond on Rt 360-
    Draketail.. let me know when .. I know that I have to come to Lex.. sometime in March to help plan a 50th HS reunion.. so would like a second reason.. To come and talk.. and whatever....

Shearwater .... Sure is a good looking boat.. Good luck and smooth waters..

Or if someone gets something together elsewhere in Virginia...

Henry
    Last edited by k4lmy; 02-28-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Add Shearwater

Ditto - I went and looked for it on FB but couldn't find it.
    - Bill T.

"If you want to make a small fortune in racing
    start with a large fortune..."

That's bizarre - I did a whole bunch of searches, using "Wooden boat" and "wood boat" and various combinations - it never showed up. I've had that problem with FB before.

Anyhow, just sent a join request.
    - Bill T.

Default Draketail turn over

OK folks, I'm sticking my neck out. Progress on the draketail is such that I am setting the date for the turnover. Planking is done. Planing of the bottom is done. Sanding is mostly finished and the bottom is caulked. Final fairing is almost done. I should be able to finish any other upside down work in the month after graduation. Several folks on this forum have expressed interest in attending. So, here you go..

The evening of Friday, June 15, 2012, we will turn the draketail over some time between 6:00 and 7:00 PM. To be followed immediately with celebration, burgers and beverages.

PM me if you want directions.

Grigg

Default Re: Draketail turn over

... Several folks on this forum have expressed interest in attending. So, here you go..

The evening of Friday, June 15, 2012, we will turn the draketail over some time between 6:00 and 7:00 PM. To be followed immediately with celebration, burgers and beverages.
    6/15 is my anniversary. My wife is a tolerant and understanding person, but I don't like to push it. Good luck and please post pictures.

Can't make it on a Friday at that time, Saturday would suit me better.

Egbert

Quote Originally Posted by WoodboatCoop View Post
    I am looking to see if there is any one that is interested in a wood boat builders group. I live in Mechanicsville, Va . Even if we can get together 2 or 3 times a year to exchange ideas, drink a couple beers or show off projects. Let me know if interested. Thanks
    I see you folks met at least once. I just saw this thread and live in Virginia beach. Are you planning any future meetings? Let me know, I would love to join you!

Yeah, let's wait until it's about 22 degrees F so we can stand around with our hands jammed in our pockets, shivering. Just like last time! wheeee!!

But seriously, I'd be up for another gathering - it's been too long since we've had a little get-together.
    - Bill T.

Hopefully I will be around this time.. somebody name the place and time and I will try to make it.. Sounds good..

Henry

I'm in, if possible!

I'd like to attend. I will be out of country Nov 1 - 11, so if that could be kept in consideration when picking a date.
    "That's Captain of a Ferry Boat. NOT a fairy captain!"

I'm interested! There are a few weekends that the Mrs has already spoken for, but I'm in otherwise...

I've really been wanting to go back to the Calvert Co. Museum on Soloman's Island. It's a really cool place to visit/ hang out/ eat a good crabcake/ drink beer/ listen to music. And they have a whole museum full of boats to look at, too!

CAlvert would work. And they have 2 draketails in their collection. Not that I'm biased or anything...

I know it's a bit further on the horizon than csmead was probably suggesting, but the Calvert Museum has a festival/boat/engine show the first weekend in May each year.

I'm up for another get together. The Calvert Museum visit sounds good.

Guys, I am up for a get together also. It can only be warmer than the first one . I believe a meeting at a museum would be great. I haven't been posting much of late. My wife and I have bought some land in Horn Harbor in Mathews. Where the house will go I can look out into the bay. It is great. Things are slowing up at work and duck season is in. If it doesn't rain I won't have to worry about going into the swamp to hunt. Hope everyone's winter projects are in full swing, don't loose this warm weather chance. If there is a date being set, can't make it on Jan 19th, wifes bday. Look forward to making plans.
    Do what you think is right, for you will be criticized in the end anyhow.

I would love to come guys and meet you all. You are all being so helpful and I would love to hear some stories and shave advice. Do you think we could turn this meeting into some type of learning adventure? Im not 100% sure what I mean by that, but something in the small craft center at Calvert?

Yes, I would really like to come to this gathering. I was sorry to miss it last year. Warmer weather at Solomon's sounds good, but I am open to other times and locations.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Sounds like a fine idea to me. And warm would be nice....