Thread: Need the supersecret hint on removing rear seal. Re: regreasing trailer bearings

Default Need the supersecret hint on removing rear seal. Re: regreasing trailer bearings

The total of bleeding knuckles continues to mount and I'm about to throw a yet-to-be-determined heavy hand tool through the garage window.

I can't remove the rear seal on my trailer wheel. This is no fancy-fancy stuff, just a 16' Load Rite trailer. I've been prying with all sorts of levers of varying lengths and widths and cajoling and swearing and sweet talking, and this bastard isn't budging. One unfortunate slip damaged it, so now it has to be removed. Not enough experience to revert to plan B. So what's plan B, guys? ARGHHH.

Default Re: Need the supersecret hint on removing rear seal. Re: regreasing trailer bearings

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    The total of bleeding knuckles continues to mount and I'm about to throw a yet-to-be-determined heavy hand tool through the garage window.

I can't remove the rear seal on my trailer wheel. This is no fancy-fancy stuff, just a 16' Load Rite trailer. I've been prying with all sorts of levers of varying lengths and widths and cajoling and swearing and sweet talking, and this bastard isn't budging. One unfortunate slip damaged it, so now it has to be removed. Not enough experience to revert to plan B. So what's plan B, guys? ARGHHH.
    can you put a brass rod in through the other side and drive it out?

Default Re: Need the supersecret hint on removing rear seal. Re: regreasing trailer bearings

What have you already managed to remove? Is the bearing out? the race?

So what's plan B, guys? ARGHHH.
    skipping plan B, plan C usually involves a torch
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by wardd View Post
    can you put a brass rod in through the other side and drive it out?
    I tried with a long screwdriver but the inner bearing is in the way, there's some space in between to squeeze something in but not enough to get a good purchase.

I tried with a long screwdriver but the inner bearing is in the way, there's some space in between to squeeze something in but not enough to get a good purchase.
    knock the bearing race out, bearings are cheap and if you're careful it can be put back in

Quote Originally Posted by wardd View Post
    knock the bearing race out, bearings are cheap and if you're careful it can be put back in
    Ok, I was very gentle and I knocked the inner bearing against the seal, and that loosened it enough to pry the seal out conventionally! Nice, thanks for the supersecret hint, you get the gold star for the evening, wardd!

And thanks to P.P. for motivating me to make sure Plan B worked so I didn't have to go to the flaming plan C....

You did not knock the bearing race out which is a good thing and much harder to do, You only need to knock the bearing itself out and the seal with it. Good practice to replace the seal when you do this.
    Tom L

Standard procedure for removing inner wheel bearing seals is to drive them out from the front with a wooden dowel against the inner bearing. You're going to replace the seal anyway, so no matter if it's damaged, and the wooden dowel won't damage the bearing. Just knock the sucker out; little finesse required.

I don't dream of removing mine gently enough for reuse. They're usually worn enough to require replacement, anyway.

My foolproof method is to rest the wheel studs on a pair of short 4x4's spaced far enough apart so the wheel hub issuspended between the 4x's. Then I hook the straight end of an 18" pry bar under one side of the rear seal and the long end projecting out the opposite way, more or less horizontally. Then I smack the pry bar with a 18-oz hammer. The inertia of the wheel will keep it relatively stable while the pry bar does its thing, lifting one side of the seal. When I reposition everything for another smack ditrected to the opposite side of the seal, that sucker is OUT'TA THERE.

Getting the new seal (I use Chicago Rawhide seals) in place is trickier. I rest the wheel hub on a short 4x4, position the seal on top if the hub, position a wood block large enough to cover the whole seal on top of that, then smack the wood block with a sharp blow, but not as hard as on the pry bar. The seal always goes in straight and tight.

Ya'got'ta approach rear seals like there is absolutely no doubt about who is boss, and who isn't. Ya'got'ta let the wheel assembly know who exactly it is who owns the god dammed wheel in the first place.

Moby Nick

I do mine without pulling the wheel. Take the nut off. Remove the outer bearing cone. Put the nut back on a couple of threads. Use the wheel and hub assembly like a slide hammer. Seal and bearing pop out and stay on the shaft so no dirt or gravel get on the bearing. If it has brakes, back the shoes off a bit, same thing.

Matthew

Like others have already said, I plan to replace the rear seal every time I re-pack bearings. Therefore, I just drive a screwdriver between the edge of the seal and the hub and pry that sucker out.

Here's a good treatise on re-packing or replacing trailer bearings:
    http://users.westco.net/~tandjlm/Inf...n/Bearings.htm

My neighbor was a Mechanic and taught me, He said ALWAYS replace the seals they are cheap and do not overload the grease and pop it back out again.

On my Dory after backing into the ocean i replaced everything every Fall.

He gave me his Brass punches.

Pumkin's way is by far the easiest . I have done it that way for years without a problem and in a pinch you can reuse the seal as it seldom hurts it.

Pumkin's way is good. I've used this process numerous times in the past.

FWIW, there is a tool made to remove seals. You can get one at most auto parts store for 10-15 bucks and is much quicker than threading the nut back on and popping the seal. It is a pry bar type of thing made just for the rear seal on a drum or rotor.
    John
    ----
    To err is human. To arr is pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
    I do mine without pulling the wheel. Take the nut off. Remove the outer bearing cone. Put the nut back on a couple of threads. Use the wheel and hub assembly like a slide hammer. Seal and bearing pop out and stay on the shaft so no dirt or gravel get on the bearing. If it has brakes, back the shoes off a bit, same thing.

Matthew
    Punkin Matt is correct, the only way to do it. I have been removing the inner bearings and seals this way for years...musta done a gazillion of em by now :-)
    "The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting place." -Arthur Ransome