Page 107 of 107 FirstFirst ... 75797106107
Results 3,711 to 3,716 of 3716

Thread: The outrigger and proa thread

Default Re: The outrigger and proa thread

Proa enthusiasts ( that might still be out there) may be interested to see this Pahi getting closer to launching. Here the hulls and decks have been joined and masts got up with temporary rigging, in order to work out where gear and deck fittings are to go. Happening in the compound of the Whangarei Cruising Club. Craft is supported on dollys and can be wheeled around, as will be the case when the launching takes place... hopefully soon. SInce I will be laid up in hospital from early November, time should be available to write-up more on the design and details of this type proa, which I will be adding to the SO Pahi thread.Pahi iti masts standing.jpgPahi deck shot.jpg

Kenjamin,

I used to race against some old guys about 40 years ago.
    In Texas.
    I was in shorts and no shirt, they were in long white pants and long sleeved white shirt, with a tennis hat.
    At the end of a 3 hour day I was burned and completely out of energy.
    These old guys were just a fresh as they started and talking about going to do something else.

Perhaps a complete coverup would do well.
    I've even seen T200 guys wear masks.

Resting in the shade of a dck tent/tarp during the day (as multihull stability allows), could make the cool of night-time more suitable for sailing?

Going on 45 years now since I started looking into Polynesian proas and have eventually got to the point where the picture has become focussed enough to sketch up a sail plan that a sailmaker is able to follow and produce a suit of sails from. As it was when cotton cloth was introduced to the Islands, the Oceanic sprit type rig was modified to match the basic western configuration first illustrated back in Roman times, so I have made a similar choice, but have ordered polyester cloth. There is still the possibility to have Island grown plant fibre fabric sails made at some future date and leave out the jib. Right now the practical way is to include the stays'l option as a suitable way in getting to do some sailing soon. Look of the rig fits with a wooden boat aesthetic, rather than the typical plymaran multihull one and this is pleasing to me. Pity it has taken so long to suss it out since it is the thing I could have been sold on when I first started using bamboo spars. Just posting this here to try put life into the apparently dead and dormant proa scene. Will put more in the way of text diagrams and fotos in the SO Pahi thread as wellSO Pahi final sailplan.jpg
    Last edited by Lugalong; 11-26-2020 at 06:26 PM.

It looks nice. But to shunt, the masts must slide on their steps?
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    It looks nice. But to shunt, the masts must slide on their steps?
    Nah, masts are fixed at steps, but the luff-support spar along with the sprit, swings fore and/or aft, like the original Proa Pahi (Tumotuan type Pahi). These spars move/swing in tandem, so as the foresail tack is carried forwards, so the after sail has its foot/tack dragged along by a connecting line.Sprit sails are dropped in the way of reefing and the remaining quadrilateral mains'l ( represented by dotted vertical lines and horizontal lines between the halyard blocks) is the driving sail on its own ( with interchange-able luffs). This sail I already have and the sailmaker is busy with the sprits'ls..... jibs are optional extra. Only way to know how it works is to try it out. Soon as I am able to move without restriction ( at the moment am a few weeks out of a double hernia surgical operation), the launching and testing will be possible. Bamboo sprits need some time to cure/dry as well and I am busy with the rudders and bits of rigging while in recovery mode.
    Last edited by Lugalong; 11-26-2020 at 07:23 PM.