Page 1 of 27 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: More photos of Don Kurylko's new boat

Default More photos of Don Kurylko's new boat

OK, Don, we have been very patient. We would love to see more.

Default Re: More photos of Don Kurylko's new boat

A beautiful tease.

Very patient. But it's starting to wear thin. Let's see some more, Don, please.

Steven

Very nice, but as they said "More please sir?"

Beautiful!

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Wanna trade?

Yikes! I'll be back as soon as I get a few scanned. You guys are merciless!

Oh and....do you want the long version or the short version?

posts are free here
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

the 34' canoe stern version

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kurylko View Post
    Oh and....do you want the long version or the short version?
    Extended builder's cut. With commentary, please!

Some of us have been waiting patiently for a very long time...tap...tap...tap...

Thanks for your enthusiastic response to my project. I hope I can live up to expectations with the rest of the photos and commentary. I’ve been working at this boat for a very long time. So long, as a matter of fact, that the neighborhood kids have dubbed it the “forever” boat. In the photos, you will notice that I started out with a full head of hair and a dark beard – that has now changed drastically. What began as a 10 year building program has manged to morph into a retirement project. Not because I’m a slow builder (I am that), but because I have tried to pursue too many other full-time endeavors throughout my life all at the same time. A common fault of dreamers with short attention spans I expect.

But a guy’s got to dream…

One day, a couple of winters before I started building, I found myself going a bit stir crazy and needed something to perk up my spirits. We were living in a small log cabin out in the boonies, without electricity, and there wasn’t much in the way of entertainment to be had. So, I grabbed a set of plans I had bought from designer Tom Colvin and headed out to the small pasture behind our place. I made up some long battens and “lofted” out the accommodations plan full size to see how it would fit.

The snow was perfect. It had been really cold and the surface was so hard and crusty that you could walk on it without fear of breaking through. Once I got all the lines laid out, I filled them in with ashes from the wood stove. In a few hours I had a virtual boat that I could walk around in. It was fun and the drawing lasted for several weeks before it snowed again and covered it up. I guess there are some advantages to Canadian winters after all.

A few years went by and we finally decided to take the plunge and build a real boat. But first, we had to put up a ply, plastic and tin “tent”. We could only get a temporary permit from the city of Nelson for the structure and weren’t allowed any kind of foundation or footings. I just wrapped the bottom of the frames in black garbage bags and buried them in the ground. They eventually did rot out, but lasted a surprisingly long time with a bit of reinforcement here and there.

I would like to have built a larger shed, but out of deference to the neighbors I kept it as low profile and unobtrusive as possible

A bit cramped inside, but perfectly functional with a small working platform at the far end for stationary tools and a bench. I also had access out back to a two car garage/workshop that could be heated more easily. It wasn’t my intent to work on the boat in winter, so I never bothered to insulate the boat shed. I did fit a stove though, but all it was good for when it got cold was warming my backside whilst dreaming of faraway tropical Isles.

The colder months were devoted mostly to earning a living. In reality, I was lucky to get 4 or 5 full months of work done on the boat most years. (You can see where this is heading...)
    Last edited by Don Kurylko; 12-07-2010 at 05:35 PM.

definitely worth waiting for this story
    snow lofting - brilliant!
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 12-07-2010 at 03:49 PM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Please stop. Lust is a sin.

Feel free to ignore boatbuddha's request. Keep it coming.

I love that pic of the outline in the snow. Classic! Too many people would be totally unable to relate and just think you were a bit odd or eccentric. The rest of us, I'm sure, can totally relate and understand that it makes perfect sense to draw a full-size outline in the snow.
    - Bill T.

"How many politically-correct people does it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

"Look, I don't know, but that's not funny."

This is my new favorite thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    ++.

Mine, too.

Steven

are you on dial up? lets go lets go!!!!

Thanks, Don. Looking forward to more.

Wait. I think I can see a tiny flaw in her paint. No wait. I can't.

The following year was devoted to lofting the hull, making the moulds and setting them up.

Never one's to miss a photo opportunity, that's my wife, Sanda, in the background and her friend Sally pretending to loft. Oh yeah, there's a half model of the hull in the foreground.

The lofting floor was 3/4 K3 particle board, painted flat white. It worked out pretty good. I used coloured ballpoint pens to differentiate the lines once they were faired.

Besides getting the moulds off the lofting, I was also able to make up a bunch of other components for the hull, like floors, frames, backbone members, etc.

The frames were laminated from Douglas Fir right on the loft floor using dedicated moulds to get their shape.

The moulds were nailed to the floor and these cleats fitted right up to them to fix the laminations. A bit of plastic was used to keep things from sticking. After cleaning up, the frames were screwed to the moulds and set up to take the planking. This allowed me to fair and bevel them right in place for a near perfect fit.

The lofting has been cleared away and mounted on the wall for future reference. I set up and carefully squared a heavy strongback for stepping the moulds. Even so, getting everything nicely trued up was a bit of a task. Definitely the stage where you want to take the extra time to get it right. 3/4 K3 particle board was used for the moulds too.

More of the same - stern view.

All right!! Well worth the wait!
    But is it going to take as long to get all the pictures up as it has taken you to get to this stage?
    Some of us are patient but that may stretch the meaning of the word just a tad!

I'll come aboard, too...

Quote Originally Posted by Allison View Post
    All right!! Well worth the wait!
    But is it going to take as long to get all the pictures up as it has taken you to get to this stage?
    Some of us are patient but that may stretch the meaning of the word just a tad!
    Well I was going to wait until I had a chance to go through all my old slides, pick out the best ones, sort them, scan them, upload them to Photobucket, write some commentary, then post everything to the Forum. You know, time permitting, maybe over the Christmas holidays. But then I made the mistake of posting the stern shot and...BLAM...suddenly I'm besieged! Gimme a break wouldya!

But I am flattered by all the attention and I'll do my best to get more photos up in a timely fashion. Thanks to all for the kind words and comments.

Here I have started beveling the edges of the moulds to take the planking.

I should mention that the main text I used for lofting this boat was Chapelle’s “Boatbuilding”. I like his treatise the best of any I have studied, but I also referenced the Gougeon Brother’s book on Boatbuilding for its section on deducting for planking thickness. Chapelle falls way short in that department and the explanation in the GB’s book is superb. It is based on a system developed by Joe Trumbly who taught boat building at Bates College in Washington State. I highly recommend checking this out for anyone contemplating lofting a boat in the traditional manner. It is very accurate.

A close up of the edges being beveled. I first rolled some flat black paint on all the edges to help define and preserve the controlling edge of the moulds. This is a great visual aid and helps avoid removing any material one shouldn’t. I used long battens laid across the moulds to determine the depth of material to remove. In a strip-planked boat, it is very important to have a flat landing for the strips. Just trying to bend them around a hard, un-beveled edge will cause notching on the strips – something best avoided, not just for looks. Once notched, the strips are prone to breaking at a very hard turn.

Chapelle and the Gougeon Brothers were the main reference texts used throughout the rest of the construction process too.

Mister Intrepid hogging down the inner keel with an electric adze!

But to redeem himself, he first made guide cuts with a lovely little back saw…..

….and finished off with a spoke shave and hand plane.

Voila! The inner keel was laminated up from some beautiful old growth Douglas Fir from Vancouver Island.

Take your time, Don. We don't want to add another "to do" to your holidays.

This looks like it's going to be a wonderful story - we can wait for it to unfold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lesser View Post
    we can wait for it to unfold.
    Yes, please make it last the whole winter!

But first ... what was the design and the major specs of this boat? Length, beam, draft, tonnage, sail plan? Is this a Kurylko original design?
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Thanks guys. I'll not rush it, nor drag it out; and if it starts to get boring, I'll expect a rousing raspberry or two to keep me on track!

Okay Yeadon, specs, etc, coming up soon.

I know I was one of the instigators in getting you to share this - so blame me if it helps. Thanks for starting & I can guarantee you'll get no raspberries from me - unless I happen to be picking some that is....

No worries Garret. You guys got the ball rolling. Thanks for that.

Sweet! awesome build thread. looking forward to watching this one.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

I like the electric adze! but I must admit I also like the real one. I've spent so much time around loud machinery that I really enjoy the quiet approach for a lot of things these days.
    I didn't mean to rush you, just a gentle nudge along the path. I promise not to be too aggressive should you wander off and fail to meet the commitment that you've so generously made!