X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gerarddm
    #RESIST
    • Feb 2010

Re: Fife designs

Yes, Rona is a Watson design. My favorite yacht.

I must say though that the photos of the Fifes I have seen have bowled me over. That small Seabird is exquisite.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• Andrew Craig-Bennett
      Who?
      • Aug 1999

The Fifes were boatbuilders, they were interested in building, not in selling designs, and a lot of the value in a Fife is in the workmanship.
      IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Comment

• mike hanyi
        you want me to VARNISH?!!
        • Nov 2000

smaller Fife designs

look in the book about the Fife Yard "Fast and Bonnie" isbn 0 85976 566 0
        there is a list off all the boats with specs.......

hmm lets see
        volga 1878 37 ft
        cyprus 1879 30ft
        ayrshire lass 1887 24ft
        nova 1887 33ft
        -ok lets zip into the 1900's
        i see, 21ft,24,36,30,12!,30,29,32

so yes smaller Fifes did exist.
        There's one rich man onboard and there's twentyfive poor men and they enjoy it more then the rich man does -Jim Kilroy when asked if yacht racing is a rich mans sport.

Comment

• Hwyl
          Gareth
          • Jan 2003

There is a Fife dayboat class near where I grew up. 24 feet long 3 foot draught, they sail at the Royal Anglesey Yacht club, some are wood and some are glass, built by Dickies of Bangor.

Comment

• StevenBauer
            LPBC member
            • Jan 2000

Ayrshire Lass is my favorite small Fife, from 1887:

She carries quite the rig for a small boat:

Comment

• Hwyl
              Gareth
              • Jan 2003

Seems we may be talking about two designers here WF III was also known as WF junior and his father WF II. I think (and I'm not sure) the father designed Ayreshire Lass

Comment

• StevenBauer
                LPBC member
                • Jan 2000

W. Fife III, (jr) was born in 1857 so he was 30 when Ayrshire Lass was built. But the Wikipedia article says he opened his yard in 1890. So he may have been involved.

Steven

Comment

• gian marco
                  • Feb 2010

to find some drawings of William Fife just look through old yacht books like chapelle or sciarelli.

Digita il testo o l'indirizzo di un sito web oppure traduci un documento.
                  Annulla

Comment

• Paul G.
                    • Feb 2006

check this, sailed past it a few times.

Maud 1899 Designer William fife lenght 41'9 inches waterline 34'6 '' '' draft 6'8 '' '' she is a double ender it's the only one I h...
                    polite and appropriate

Comment

• john welsford
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Sailor
                      Or because he designed American yachts in America for Americans, whereas Fifes are from across the pond?
                      There is also the fact that LFH was a very effective self publicist, whereas Fife worked to produce designs for his yard only ( with a very few exceptions)

It has always seemed to me that very often the successful designers are those who can write well,

John Welsford
                      An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Comment

• mike hanyi
                        you want me to VARNISH?!!
                        • Nov 2000

John, you put you foot in your mouth there! Im just saying yes, those who can write and choose to get published are going to get further.
                        If you get published, people will refer to you or what you wrote that they read about-which adds credibility. So If the writer does his homework, and does not claim something that is criticized as being false or unsound he will do ok!
                        John, we met back in Maryland long ago and I still have your catalog. Flemming,s pathfinder turned out great and is now in Romania with it.
                        There's one rich man onboard and there's twentyfive poor men and they enjoy it more then the rich man does -Jim Kilroy when asked if yacht racing is a rich mans sport.

Comment

• andy wallis
                          • Mar 2012

Hi my great uncle owed Pierrette in the 1920s she was based in plymouth then.Ive got pictures of her in 1928 sporting a burmudian rig sailing in plymouth sound.I would love to get in touch with the present owners.Send them to them. Cheers Andy Wallis. in Plymouth

Comment

• Hwyl
                            Gareth
                            • Jan 2003

I was thinking about this thread and thought I'd bump it.

Comment

• davidjgray
                              CEO Mylne Yacht Design
                              • May 2007

You can find a listing of all the yachts designed by the Mylne design office here http://www.mylne.com/media/pdfs/Myln..._List_2012.pdf

Three of these were built by the famous Fife yard, and Mylne and Fife were great friends - evidenced by the "Keepsake" trophy (a model of William Fife's last ever 12m design given to Alfred Mylne as a keepsake - unbuilt due to the outbreak of war, and now a major prize for Classic Yacht Racing in Scotland).

A new register of the Mylne yachts and updated design list will be out this year.
                              www.mylne.com - Classic Yacht Design since 1896

Comment

• boban saor
                                • Sep 2013

Hi David..good to see you here..I thought you might be interested in this :http://www.woodenships.co.uk/small-c...-class-sloop/I had no idea that any of these had survived...described by Folkard as 'capital little boats, fast weatherly and comfortable..' In general i don't think the smaller designs of Mylne (or Fife) are that well known...I was surprised myself at the number of 'Small Cruisers' in the Mylne archive when you had it up on line, (I particularly liked #208 "Lea's" and #403 " "Toussoum Primlea".. ) Are there any plans to put the scans back up online..or pay a registration fee to browse around?

Comment

Working...